December 2nd

A Wish Upon A Shooting Star

The next day, Jonghyun again walked through the glass door, ready to get started. The first person he had to take care of was an older woman who had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer. 

“Good morning Mrs. Yang. I'm the new caretaker here.” Jonghyun said when the door opened. She was one of the patients living on the 1st floor, so she only had a room, in contrast to the people on the upper floors who had small apartments to themselves. The older woman seemed friendly, and she couldn't stop talking about how much Jonghyun reminded her of her grandson. 

Jonghyun helped her clean her room, and just talking. The nurse yesterday had been right, most of his work consisted of just conversing about whatever, and making the people feel comfortable. 

After about 2 hours, Mrs. Yang got tired and had to sleep, probably one of the things caused by her cancer. 

Jonghyun’s next visit was a “Mr. Lee” on the 4th floor, meaning one of the residents who had their own apartment. Jonghyun took the elevator to the 4th floor, and found apartment 12. He knocked on the door, and waited for about 10 seconds before the door opened. 

Jonghyun had expected an older man, so the sight of a young man, probably not much older than himself, surprised him. And not only was the man young, but he was almost unbelievable attractive. 

“G...Good morning Mr. Lee. I'm the new caretaker.” He said, his voice considerably more shaking than last time he uttered the words. 

“Good morning. Come on in.” Mr. Lee said, opening the door to let Jonghyun inside. The apartment seemed slightly messy, but Jonghyun assumed cleaning wasn't one's biggest concern when living at a place like this. 

“You don't have to clean anything, if that's what you think. I quite like it like this.” The man said, letting out a small laugh. Jonghyun had no idea what to do. The other’s smile was undeniably infectious, and Jonghyun found himself smiling too. 

“And by the way, please don't call me ‘Mr. Lee’, it makes me feel old. Just call me Jinki.” The man, Jinki, said, putting out his hand. Jonghyun took his hand, and shook it. 

“I'm Jonghyun. Kim Jonghyun.” Jonghyun said. 

“Well then, Kim Jonghyun, tell me, you said you were new here?” Jinki asked. 

“Yes, I've just started here today.” Jonghyun said. Jinki nodded. 

“How do you like it so far” Jinki asked. Jonghyun thought about an answer. 

“It's fine. The people here seem nice.” Jonghyun said, after contemplating whether to give him the honest answer of ‘it's a little weird working with people who are dying.’, but ended up giving him the slightly more optimistic version. 

The 2 continued the small-talk for another hour before Jonghyun had to move on to the next visit. 

As soon as Jonghyun had left Jinki’s apartment, he looked at the folder he had been given. 

Name: Lee Jinki
Age: 23
Was diagnosed with a rare, incurable disease 3 years ago. No cure found. 
Long term prospects: The illness is progressing. Doctors claim he has about 6 months left.

Jonghyun stopped reading there, already feeling slightly depressed. “No emotional attachments”, he had promised himself. But he couldn't help but feel sad that a smile so bright would soon be turned off. 

---------------------
An: Hello. I can't claim that I am completely satisfied with this chapter, since even I find it slightly boring. Well, you know what they say: “You are your own worst critic”. 
I promise to find a way to make it more exciting soon, I just need to establish everything first. 

Merry December 2nd❤️