December 5th

A Wish Upon A Shooting Star

The next morning, Jonghyun went to his superior as the first thing in the morning. 

“Good morning sir.” Jonghyun greeted the older man. 

“Ah, good morning Jonghyun.” He said. 

“I was just wondering if it could be possible for me to only be responsible for one resident.” Jonghyun asked. He didn't want to admit it, but he had taken quite a liking to Jinki, which was a bad thing. He had already started to break his 4 days old promise to himself. 

“Sure. You currently have Mrs. Yang and Mr. Lee. Is it either of these two that you would like to keep being in charge of?” 

“Yes. I would like to just be responsible for Jin...Mr. Lee.” Jonghyun said, slightly stumbling over his words. His superior seemed to find it funny. 

“I will see to that it can work out.” The older man said. 

It wasn't because Jonghyun didn't like Mrs. Yang, but he just wanted a bit more time with Jinki. It was actually quite the opposite. He felt like he was letting down the older woman by rushing through his time with her, so he could be more with Jinki, and that wasn't fair to anyone. 

He knocked on the door to Jinki's apartment. The door opened a few seconds later. 

“Morning.” Jinki said, obviously just having gotten out of bed, judging from his tousled hair and pajamas. If Jonghyun had found the older attractive before, he hadn't even seen the best. Jinki with tousled morning hair was the most beautiful sight Jonghyun had seen in a while. 

“Um, are you coming in, or what?” Jinki asked slightly hesitant, and only too late Jonghyun noticed that he had been staring. 

“Oh, yes, sorry.” Jonghyun said, laughing lightly at his own awkwardness. Why was he acting like this? 

“I'm sorry for waking you up.” Jonghyun said. Jinki chuckled. 

“You didn't exactly wake me up. I had just decided that I wasn't going to get up today.” Jinki said. 

“Oh, do you want me to leave again, so you can get back to your bed-day?” Jonghyun asked, gesturing towards the door. 

“No, it's okay. I'm gonna assume from your previous visits, that you haven't eaten breakfast yet.” Jinki stated. As if acting as a response, Jonghyun's stomach rumbles loudly, making Jonghyun's face turn into a tomato, and Jinki break out into his, in Jonghyun's eyes, angelic laughter. 

The two ended up just sitting in Jinki's living room, talking for hours. 

“And then she said “No, she did it.” While her whole face was covered by chocolate and whipped cream.” Jonghyun said, reselling the story about the time his sisters had gotten into a food fight with Taemin's birthday cake. 

“That sounds great, and it's…” Jinki started. But Jonghyun didn't get to hear the end of his sentence as a series of violent coughs overtook Jinki's body. Jonghyun put down his coffee cup and rushed over to rub the older a back. 

“Jinki? Jinki, are you okay?” Jonghyun asked, as Jinki gasped for breath in between coughs. 

When Jonghyun looked at the white carpet on the floor, he saw the it was now drizzled with small red specks. 

Jonghyun hurried over to the phone that every apartment had, in case of emergencies, and called for help. 


About an hour later, Jinki was sleeping peacefully in his bed. A doctor had arrived just minutes after Jonghyun had called, and had seen to that Jinki got his medicine, which he had apparently forgotten to take in the morning. 

Jonghyun was still slightly traumatized for rom the day's events. He had cleaned away the coffee and the blood specks while the doctor was tending to Jinki. He was currently putting on his coat, his biggest desire right now being to get home and relax. 

Life surely was a precious and fragile thing. It could be taken away so swiftly, it was almost scary...scratch that, it was scary. 

No more emotional attachment. From now on, he was just a caretaker, tending to a patient, who would die soon. Because that was the game changing fact. Jinki wasn't going to get better, quite the opposite. And Jonghyun didn't want to be the one left behind when it happened. 

-----------------
An: Kinda scary chapter, right. 

It's getting colder and darker outside here where I live. Remember to take care and stay healthy. 

Merry December 5th❤️