December 1st

A Wish Upon A Shooting Star

Kim Jonghyun walked through the glass doors of the large building. The building was a sort of hospital/nursery home for terminally ill patients. It hadn't been Jonghyun's dream to work as a caretaker, and especially not here. But he really needed the money. 

Jonghyun was the oldest of 4 siblings. His mother had died giving birth to his youngest brother, while their father had started drinking heavily after her death, resulting in his own a few years later. 

So now, Jonghyun, currently aged 22, had to provide for himself and his 3 younger siblings, Gwiboon, his oldest younger sister, 18, Minjung, his youngest sister, 17, and their baby brother, Taemin, 13. Gwiboon and Minjung would have to go to college soon, and he wanted to secure their future. Even if it meant working at a home for dying people. 

“Good morning, sir. Are you Kim Jonghyun?” A woman asked. Jonghyun nodded. She gestured for him to follow her, and he did. 

“Welcome to your new job here at Seoul House of Happiness. Our biggest priority here is to give our residents a nice final period of their life. “ The woman, probably a nurse or something, said. 

“Thank you. I will look forward to working here.” Jonghyun said. 

You will be assigned 1-3 residents to take care of. Most of the residents only need someone to talk to, someone to keep them company. That will be your biggest task, keeping them happy and making sure they don't feel lonely. Remember, the people living here are all dying, so they will need a caring and careful hand.” The nurse said. Jonghyun nodded. 

“Your work will start tomorrow, where you will be assigned 3 residents to visit. If you want fewer or more, simply tell your supervisor, and you will be assigned only the ones you want. You will have a week until your choices will need to be finalized, since we don't want the residents to be thrown around too much.”

The nurse showed him around the different parts of the building. Apparently, the residents who were able to take care of themselves had small apartments on the 3rd to 7th floor, while the ones who needed constant medical care had their own rooms on the 1st and 2nd floor. 

“Your shift will start at 9:00 am tomorrow morning. We’ll be looking forward to working with you.” The nurse, ms. Kim, as Jonghyun had learned, finished the tour at the main entrance. 

On his way home, Jonghyun actually looked kinda forward to the next day. He wasn't expected to have any medical expertise, and he was just supposed to talk to the residents and make them feel at home. But the fact that everyone he talked to could be gone in a few days terrified him. 

He couldn't let himself get attached to the people there. He would be nice to them, but no personal attachments, for his own sake. 

Jonghyun hadn't imagined how difficult that would be. 

--------------------
An: So, hi. Welcome to this story. I'm sorry this chapter is a bit boring, but I promise the next chapters will be more exciting, and have more JongYu. I'm just getting started, and we still have 23 more chapters. 
Merry December 1st❤️