December 4th

A Wish Upon A Shooting Star

Jinki had just woken up, and had started his daily morning routine. Taking a shower, eating a bit of breakfast, brushing his teeth and styling his hair, etc. 

He was looking forward to today. Hopefully Jonghyun would visit again. He had actually taken a liking to the younger. Actually, he had taken a liking to all the caretakers, but that didn't make it any less. 

Jinki had always been kinda awkward. He was never really the super popular type, or the type who had 1000 friends on social media. But he had a few friends, close friends. Or so he had had. Ever since he was diagnosed, he stopped going out, and he just started slipping away from his friends. 

Then, around 2 and a half year ago, his parents got into a car accident. Neither survived, and Jinki was all alone, only months after having been diagnosed with a terminal disease. To say the least, it hadn't been the best year of Jinki's life. 

But time heal most wounds. He had accepted the fact that his parents were gone, and the fact that he would join them soon. 

But then a year ago, he had moved in here, and he actually started getting a bit of happiness in his life. Before, he had just gone around his daily life, doing what had to be done, and otherwise just laying in bed, waiting for his premature death. Here though, he had started seeing the bright sides of life. He loved talking with people, even though he was still kind of awkward. 

Suddenly, he was ripped from his thoughts by a knock on the door. 

‘Jonghyun’ Jinki thought while walking towards the door and opening it. 

“Good morning Jinki.” Jonghyun said, a smile threatening to pull at his lips. 

“Good morning. Come in.” Jinki said. “Have you had breakfast yet?” Jinki asked. 

“No, I haven't.” Jonghyun said, a little hesitant, obviously not wanting to lie, but not wanting to be a burden either. Jinki went into the kitchen to grab them some food. 

“You're early today.” Jinki said. “Not that I'm complaining.” 

“Yeah, I was supposed to visit Mrs. Yang, but she apparently had a doctors appointment today, so I just came here early.” Jonghyun said, his voice clearly giving away the fact that he wasn't sad about it.

When they were done eating, they simply sat and talked, until Jinki got an idea.

“Do you want to take a walk? I could really use some fresh air.” He suggested. Jonghyun seemed fine with the suggestion, and they started finding their jackets. 

The weather outside was cold. It was the beginning of December, so it shouldn't be too weird. 

“Yesterday, you said that you took this job to provide for your siblings. Can you tell me about them? Only if it's okay, though.” Jinki said. Jonghyun contemplated for a second. 

“Well, they're great. My mom passed away many years ago, and my dad died a few years later, so I have basically raised them. They're very dear to me.” Jonghyun said. It was clear from his voice and the look in his eyes that he was talking about the most precious things in his life. 

“How old are they?” Jinki asked. 

“My oldest younger sister, Gwiboon, is 18. She always claims that she's an adult now, but I can't stop treating her like she's still 13.” Jonghyun said, chuckling slightly. Jinki also let out a small chuckle. 

“Then there's Minjung, she's 17. She and Gwiboon fight a lot, I think it's the teenage hormones or something. But deep down, I know they love each other a lot. And then there's Taemin, my baby brother. He's 13 now, so we all baby him a lot, even though his starting to complain about it.” Jonghyun said, his lips curling into a fond smile. 

“They sound lovely.” Jinki said. He never had any siblings himself, but often wondered what it would be like to have a sister or a brother, or maybe one of each. 

“They are. What about you? Any siblings?” Jonghyun asked, although he seemed careful about phrasing the question to make it seem as harmless as possible. 

“Sadly, no. I wish I had, though. My parents passed away in a car accident a few years ago, so I sometimes wish I had someone. Especially in my condition.” Jinki said, looking down on the ground for a second. 

“Did I say something wrong again? I'm sorry.” Jonghyun hurriedly said, probably assuming the reason Jinki was looking at the ground, was because he had upset him or something. 

“No no, you didn't say anything wrong. I'm just thinking, I guess.” Jinki said. 

The rest of the walk back was filled with more small talk. When arrived, Jinki bid Jonghyun goodbye, before walking into his apartment and closing the door. 

When Jonghyun came home, he saw Gwiboon, Minjung and Taemin playing cards at the dining table. He quickly went over and hugged every one of them, although they seemed too preoccupied with their game to return the hug. 

Jonghyun didn't mind though. He just felt lucky to have them. 

------------------------

An: Thank you for the people who have already subscribed to this story, and also the people who have commented. It makes me really happy. 

Merry December 4th❤️