Chapter 6 - Friends

You Belong With Me

 

Jonghyun’s POV

The whole cafeteria watched as Katie left. Most people were shooting glares at Se Kyung and Jessica. I looked down and noticed that Katie had left all of her food on the table. I gathered it up, shot a glare at Jessica and Se Kyung, who looked taken aback, and ran after her. I found her in an empty hallway sitting against some lockers. I walked closer and realized she was crying. I don’t know why but at this point I felt the need to protect this girl. She seemed so kind and fragile and she didn’t deserve the way Jessica and Se Kyung treated her. Even if they didn’t know she was listening.

She looked up at me and quickly tried to hide her tears. I felt my expression soften.

Katie’s POV

I left the cafeteria before the waterworks could start. So many things came crashing down on me as I found an empty hallway and slid down the lockers into a sitting position. I had left all of my best friends. My whole family was a thousand miles away. I had started a new school where it seemed maybe only two or three people liked me at all and I had no real friends. The things that Jessica and Se Kyung had said had only tipped the bucket that was already teetering on its edge. I felt lost. I didn’t know what to do. I wanted to go home. I missed my life back in Ohio so much. I heard footsteps and looked up to see Jonghyun standing there with our food. I realized that I had been crying hard and tried to hide it quickly by wiping my eyes.

“Hey,” he said smiling softly.

“H-hi,” I said my voice shaking.

“You forgot your food. I thought maybe we could eat out here and talk,” he said sitting down next to me.

“Thanks,” I said, “but I’m not really hungry anymore.  You can go back inside if you want. I’m fine, really.”

“I’m comfortable here,” he said.

We sat in silence for a while as I tried to compose myself. Finally Jonghyun spoke.

“It’s not true, you know.” he said quietly.

I looked at him questioningly. When he didn’t say anything else I prompted him, “What isn’t?”

“You are extremely pretty. Everyone thinks so. Half of the guys I know plan on asking you out within a week,” I looked up. He’s kidding right? “Everyone wants to talk to you, the exotic American. I’ve tried to get them to leave you alone today because I knew it would be hard on you.” At this point he looked down and blushed, “Maybe I should have just left you alone –“

“NO,” I half screamed. He jumped a little bit, “I mean no. You’ve been so nice to me. I really appreciate it. I’ve never met someone so nice. I don’t know why you are but I really do appreciate it. It’s really nice of you to say that I’m pretty even though it’s not tru– “

“Stop,” he said, “Stop putting yourself down. I wasn’t lying when I said that you’re really pretty. If you don’t believe me you’ll see it in your next class. I know of at least four guys that are planning on sitting next to you. I don’t know how that’s going to work since there are only two seats next to you but I guess they plan on fighting it out.”

“Now I know you’re crazy,” I said, “Did you not hear what Jessica and Se Kyung said?”

“I heard what they said!” he exclaimed, “And they’re lying! Jessica and her group are just a bunch of es who get some sort of sick satisfaction from making other people feel terrible about themselves. Don’t you see? They feel threatened by you! The only way for them to make themselves feel better is to put you down! I just told you how beautiful everyone thinks you are what else do you want me to say? That your eyes are the most perfect color of blue? Because they are. No contact lense could get that color. Ever.”

Wow. That was a really nice thing for him to say. I sat there for a minute thinking.  

“And as far and the whole you being chunky thing,” he put his food aside, grabbed me around the waist and pulled me onto his lap. Woah I’m moving. He squeezed me, “You feel just fine to me. You probably even weigh less than Jessica.”

I didn’t know what to say or how to react. I looked up and his face was RIGHT THERE. What is going on? I just met this guy today and I’m already in his lap. I could feel his breath on my face.

“Brrrrrrrrrrrring” the bell rang.

“Uh, I gotta go,” I said standing up. I grabbed my stuff and ran off to my locker. I started pulling my books out of it for my next class when my pencil case fell out and broke open. All of my pens, pencils and markers fell onto the floor. I cursed (in English) and knelt down to pick them up. Suddenly someone was next to me helping me pick them up. It was Cho Sook. We finished picking everything up and put them back into my pencil case. I put my pencil case in my locker and closed it. I turned around to see Cho Sook standing there looking guilty.

“I’m really sorry about what Jessica said.” She said quietly.

“Why are you sorry?” I asked, “You didn’t say that stuff.”

“Well, I feel responsible when my sister says or does mean things. I should keep her in line better.”

“Your sister?” I asked.

“Yeah,” she answered, “Jessica’s my twin. It’s not something I’m proud of. I don’t usually advertise it but she went way too far this time.”

“It’s not your fault Cho Sook. You can’t control her.”

“I know.” she answered, “I just wish I could.”

We walked together to class, English (it’s required), and when we got there I realized Jonghyun was right. There were four boys who I recognized from some other classes wrestling for the seats next to the only open seat in the classroom. When they saw me come in, they instantly stopped. Two of them took advantage of the momentary distraction and took the two seats next to the open one. The others walked away dejectedly. I walked towards the seat ready to face the inevitable.

“Excuse me.” I said to a guy with straightened dark brown hair, “Is this seat open?”

“Why yes it is, beautiful,” he said back. Hmm cocky much? “My name’s Kim Jaejoong, but everyone calls me Hero.”

Hmm another weird nickname.

“Hi,” I said shyly.

“And my name,” said a guy with spiked brown hair, “Is Ok Taecyeon.”

“Hello,” I nodded at him as I sat down in my seat. The teacher walked in at that moment, thank God, which kept us from talking anymore. The rest of the day was uneventful. Unless you count Jonghyun staring at me throughout the rest of our classes eventful. Then I would say it was very eventful. I would look back and catch him but like last night he refused to look away once caught. Tch. Annoying. After school finally ended I walked towards the front of school to get picked up.

“Hey! Katie!” someone yelled.

It was Jonghyun.

“H-hey,” I stuttered out. This is awkward.

“So I decided that your mother driving you to school every morning is ridiculous,” he said.

“Okay well what do you suggest? That I walk to school?”

“No, silly,” he said.

“Well then what?” my mom was here. I started backing away to the car.

“You can drive with us!”

“What?!”

“YEAH! It’s perfect!”

“But why?” I asked.

“Because that’s what friends do! They don’t let their friends get dropped off at school by their mothers! How embarrassing. No. We shall go to school together. Be ready tomorrow at eight o’clock sharp!”

“F-friends?”

“Yeah silly goose. We’re friends now.” He said adorably in english. And like that he walked away.

 

I hope you liked this chapter. Jonghyun is so cute!

WOAH! over 500 views and ten subscribers! 

to some that may not be a lot but to me thats amazing! thank you guys so much!

As always comment and subscribe please!

<333333333333

random macro for the day:

hahahahahhahaha XD