Ch XI - Girl, With Golden Pipes

The Games We Play - Game Over (GFriend Side)

Chapter XI - Girl, With Golden Pipes


I let out a long sigh.

I didn't like that Sowon was letting herself be used like this. But despite my best efforts, she wouldn't budge on the matter.

So I let it go.

If only for the moment.

Sowon stood next to me, leaning against my Porsche. Now that her story was over, she had become silent. Almost mute.

Despite the “lazy day at home” look she was currently rocking, her well proportioned body still shined through. She had that kind of body that could make anything she wore look good. Hell, I could have mistaken her as a car model if I didn't know who she was.

How have I never seen anyone ask her out? Poor girl has been probably stuck on Eunbi for so long that she doesn't notice anyone else.

Such a waste.

“Well then…” I started, stretching my arms a bit in the sunlight. “Regardless of what you were going to tell me, do know that me breaking up with Yuna was never going to be on the table. Hope you don't mind.”

It sounded more like a threat than a peace offering.

“Hehe,” Sowon started to smile a little, now that everything was off her chest. “I'm glad to hear that actually. I personally don't want Yuna to be dating someone wishy-washy.”

That was Sowon for you. Even when she's talking about the enemy, she's compassionate. I was envious of that trait. Maybe I've become too bloodthirsty over the years so I can't sympathize. I can't help but feel no remorse for my enemies.

“That said, I'm glad you aren't demanding that I give up on Yuna just to make Eunbi happy. I feel like we would have to stop being friends.”

My enemies should be destroyed.

“Hmmph. You know, I did actually think about that for a bit.”

“Figured you would,” I shrugged before giving her a daring smirk. “I can say with utmost certainty that you would have lost that campaign.”

“Think so?” Sowon cracked her knuckles like she was ready to fight. Playfully. I hope. “I can be very convincing when I want to be.”

“Beat me up all you want, I can't be killed. Besides…” My smirk grew into a mischievous grin. “I’ve finally have someone who can perfectly satiate my needs and I would like them to be serviced before I'm dead.”

She gave the the disgusted look I was waiting for. Jackpot.

“Ugh… Why does everything you say have to sound so ual?” Sowon crossed her arms and her body shook with disgust. She even went so far as to mimic the act of throwing up.

“And that's why I’d win. Check and mate. Hehehe~!”

Sowon pouted as she gave my claim some thought.

“Fair enough,” she concluded. “Either way, I fully support you two. I'm not very sure how to explain it but Yuna seems to finally be happy when she's with you. It's a nice change of pace.”

Sowon said that last part so wistfully and dreamy that it took a second for my brain to catch up.

Wait. What?

“Is she…” I started off slowly, unsure how, or what, I was asking. “...Usually not happy?”

“It's kinda hard to explain…” The tall girl in front of me almost seemed to shrink with uncertainty. She started to pick at her clothes as she was trying to buy time to think. “It's like… It's like she's always trying put up a front but failing. If that makes any sense?”

“That…” I had to pause and think about her phrasing again. “That explanation could not have been more esoteric… What the hell are you talking about?”

“Oh. Okay… So. Um, For example: How did you meet her? Last night was the first time you two have met, right? Oh! Wait! I just realized something….”

Sowon eyed me up and down carefully, examining me.

“Yes…? There a problem?”

“You guys probably… did stuff in your bedroom… after only meeting each other for a couple of hours…” Her eyes narrowed, very apprehensive after this epiphany. “Now I'm having second thoughts about you dating her…”

“Pfft. Seriously?” I crossed my arms. “One. Too late, you gave your support so no take backs. Two. It's the twenty-first century. Get a grip. And finally. We didn't do anything! SinB just exaggerates a lot!”

“Sure…” Sowon said sarcastically, raising an eyebrow as she started to stare at the side of my neck. “‘Oh, that was Yuna. She got kinda crazy last night.’ I totally believe you.”

Oh right…

I did say that…

Whoops.

“Anyway, yeah. I'm pretty sure yesterday was the first time we've ever met.” I said, changing the subject. “At least, I think so.”

“Okay…” She eyed me suspiciously but decided to let the conversation go. “So then, what was she doing when you first met? Was she super animated and making odd jokes? Or maybe she was kind of whiny or something? Oh. How about just standing around, kinda staring at things?”

I suddenly became deep in thought. Detective mode on and all that.

Those were oddly specific examples. Not to mention none of them really related to each other. Usually, when you ask a question like that, you ask based on varying degrees in a single subject.

“Hold on a sec…” I lifted a finger to make her stop talking so I could remember. That last one sounded familiar. “Yeah… I remember she was just standing in the middle of the dance floor not really dancing. She was sort of… listless?”

I started to remember the time I first laid my eyes on Yuna. Right there in the middle of an ocean of people. The other faces blurred out of existence the more I saw her.

That sinfully pale skin.

That beautiful face.

All of it, marked with indifference and nervousness at the same time. It made no sense but I was intrigued.

I didn't know how else to explain it but the fact that Sowon was able to accurate describe the encounter without me telling her was very off-putting. Sowon isn't the type to lie either so I had no reason not believe her. In the moment, I just thought Yuna was trying to feel the rhythm and music. But, with this revelation, was she really?

“How’d you know that?” I asked, genuinely confused.

“Ah! Okay!” Sowon clapped her hands together. “That's what I was talking about! Putting up a front but failing. Yuna puts on these personas from time to time. Sometimes she's the class clown, laughing hysterically for no reason. Other days she will be passive and unresponsive, just watching people silently. It's like she forgot how to be herself...

“Its… Its like she's broken or something.”

Hang on.

Hang on.

Wait a moment.

Yeah.

That's what that was.

That's what I saw.

That weird smile.

I had gotten so distracted by Yuna and with everything that has happened recently that I had completely forgotten about her weird smile that I saw.

She was literally deciding what emotion to present and couldn't decide in the moment. Her face stuck between happy and sad.

Her pretty face…

Her pretty face even while smiling...

Her pretty face even while frowning…

Like she was broken.

Like she was damaged.

Like… I was.

Yuna and I very similar, I’ve already stated that fact. At the time, I wasn't 100% exactly sure how though. Part of it was just me flirting but there was a bit of truth in my words.

But I get it now.

We are both broken...

“None of us know why she's doing it either. I've tried asking Eunbi too but no leads there,” Sowon continued, sounding frustrated. “That’s why you saw me so surprised this morning. Eunbi was pretty shocked too, I can tell. That was as close as to the old Yuna as I can remember. You cannot imagine how weird it was to see her like that again.”

No. I cannot.

Hmmph…

“Wow…” I sighed, but smiled all the same. “Hmm. Who would have thought that my new girlfriend came with so much baggage? Ah well, I guess I'll have to figure it out. So it goes I suppose.”

“Hahahaha, yeah. Nothing good in life ever comes without a cost,” she shrugged. “Still, if things keep going the way they are, maybe you will have the Golden Child back to normal.”

Normal.

What was even “normal” to Yuna?

How do you even define “normal” to damaged goods?

What is standard? What is expected? What is typical for someone who was always reinventing themselves? What does the world even look to them through their eyes?

She probably sees reality as some virtual simulation. Real is fake. Fake is real. What even is real? What even is fake? There was no guarantee that the “normal” Yuna that Sowon remembers isn't just another personality. For all Sowon knew, Yuna could have been playing this game for far longer than anyone realized.

And if that was the case… Yuna was definitely a girl after my own heart. In some sick, twisted way, I think I was liking her more and more.

God I'm morbid.

“Oh, that reminds me. What's this ‘Golden Child’ stuff you mentioned earlier?” I asked. “Sounds a bit over dramatic.”

“Oh, hahaha. Yeah... It wasn't a name I came up with. Liberal arts students.” Sowon shrugged the last part like that should answer everything. “It was something Yuna picked up from even before she went to school here.

“Yuna wasn't just spewing nonsense when she was speaking to SinB earlier. She really was recommended into the music program by the dean. She even attends the school without paying for tuition.” As she said it, Sowon gave me a knowing look. “A thing you two have in common. Although, she got her scholarship because of her own hard work…”

“I don't own my parents,” I declared defensively. “Can't control what they do.”

No really, I can't.

“I know, I know. Anyway, Yuna honestly deserves it. Her voice is like morning sunlight… Hehe, but from what you said during breakfast, you already knew that?”

“It's true…” I looked down, wrestling with the idea of mentioning my dream but decided against it. “Her voice calmed me. It was beautiful.”

“Hehe, I bet.”

As Sowon continued, her voice started to get a bit darker and she looked out towards the sky without focus. Like she was remembering a distant memory.

“The girl with golden pipes…” she said simply. It was almost a statement of fact. “But Yuna wasn't just a great singer. She was fearless. Always willing to try something new. And when she messed up she would just laugh and try again.

“That's why she was called the Golden Child. She could do it all and do it well.”

“‘Was’?” I had to ask. “As in the past tense?”

Sowon nodded her head.

“It was kinda around the time she started doing all this weird personality stuff actually.”

Hmm. Now there's a thought.

“That's why I think you're kinda amazing, Yerin.” Sowon turned to look at me. “You got the Golden Child to sing within just one day of meeting her. One day! You don't even realize how amazing that is!”

Sowon even raised up her index finger to emphasize the point.

“How exactly is that amazing?” I asked.

“Do you know how long it's been since anyone else has heard her sing? Anyone? Including Eunbi?”

I shook my head.

How could I know?

Her lips curled into a small smile. A small dreamy smile that was almost melancholy.

“Including the summer break... about a year now.”


Since the beginning... Since the very beginning I've been waiting and planning for this very chapter. All the tiny details that I've been laying in place. All the crazy plot beats i've been writing through. What's is real? What is fake? What was the truth? What were red herrings? OMG! So mcuh work. Now we are getting to the second arc of this entire story. The middle arc... Kekekeke.

Game Over was about getting Yuna. Reset Button is about Yunas past and how that affects Yerin. The third one.... Well that would spoil the fun now, wouldn't it?

But as a parting gift, think about these things. What's wrong Yuna? What's been going on all this time? What did UmB do to freak Sowon out so much? Hahahaha. And there is so much more.

Ah, I feel so good. 

Good Memories and Nightmares folks.