Nine

Until It Breaks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wrote this chapter from the perspective of someone you might think innocent... Kang Yaebin...

Yaebin was a liar. At least she was lying that night.

Yaebin actually hasn't sleep when Jieqiong arrived. She can't sleep because she felt thirsty. But when she had a plan to get some water from the kitchen, she spotted Nayoung unnie and Minkyung unnie in the living room. She figured lately Nayoung unnie liked to spend most of her time in front of the television in the living room before going to bed. Sometimes Yaebin found her fall asleep in there. And tonight it was the first time she found Minkyung unnie joined her there.

At first, Yaebin also wanted to join in but when she noticed how timid Minkyung unnie approached their leader, she pulled her break and canceled her plan. Instead, she hid behind the wall not far away from them. Yeah, Yaebin was eavesdropping their conversation.

"Unnie... Am I really not good enough for you?"

Yaebin was actually waiting for the answer when suddenly she realized someone else was there too. And that someone was Jieqiong who was slowly approaching where Yaebin was hiding. Mentally Yaebin was panic because Jieqiong might catch her in action, but then the small rapper realized Jieqiong was too furious to realize her presence at the moment. Yaebin only blinked her eyes when she heard Jieqiong slammed the door and right and Sungyeon was screaming right after that.

"Can you not make a fuss when you close the door? I'm trying to sleep here!"

Yaebin knew better Nayoung unnie would try to create peace in the third room, so she took it as a clue for her to quietly return to her room. Yaebin mentally panicked again when she found Eunwoo slowly woke up because of Sungyeon's scream outside.

"Yaebin... what's wrong?" Half-awake Eunwoo asked her. "Why you haven't sleep yet?"

Yaebin was trying to create an excuse in her brain when suddenly she heard Jieqiong was yelling back at Sungyeon instead apologizing. She heard it because she was still standing near their half closed door. Unconsciously Yaebin tightened her grip on the doorknob.

"Just shut up and go back to sleep, will you?"

"Is that Jieqiong? She has arrived?" Eunwoo slowly gained her conscious and slowly sat in her own bed.

Yaebin didn't answer because she heard Nayoung unnie's voice from the living room. "Let me handle them. I don't want the other kids to wake up because of the ruckus."

What caught Yaebin's attention the most that night was the mixed expression in Nayoung unnie's face. It was between hope, anxious, guilt, regret and hurt. It was only for a second because Nayoung unnie knew well how to wear her mask back before she entered Jieiqong's room.

And Yaebin kept standing near the half-opened door although Eunwoo gave her questionable stare. She was contemplating about something when she heard nothing from the other room because Nayoung unnie closed the door.

"It's Jieqiong, right?"

Yaebin almost startled when she found Eunwoo was standing in front of her. She unconsciously tightened her grip on the knob again. In her brain, Yaebin was still contemplating about something else because she wasn't thinking about what happened in the third room.

Yaebin was thinking about Minkyung unnie who left alone in the living room while Nayoung unnie ran after Jieqiong. She was thinking what Minkyung unnie felt at the moment and what she could do about this situation. Yaebin knew she can't go there because Minkyung unnie would figure out she heard everything since the beginning. Sometimes Yaebin hated how smart Minkyung unnie could be. And Minkyung unnie definitely wouldn't happy about it. For Yaebin, Minkyung's unnie happiness was her priority. And without thinking, Yaebin said this.

"Will you check Jieqiong? I think I heard her screaming?"

Yaebin actually felt hesitated. At the same time, she also felt anxious because she knew Nayoung unnie was there to calm Jieqiong and Sungyeon at this moment. But Yaebin had another plan. Yaebin really wished the scenario inside her head would come true. It might be the best for everyone. Yaebin hoped.

"Will you go with me?" Eunwoo asked. She might be realized something was wrong with Yaebin, but the small rapper tried to shrug it off. She ignored Eunwoo's suspicious stare.

Yaebin shook her head. "I think Jieqiong won't be happy if too much audience. And she's always more open to you. So... tell me later, okay?"

Yaebin caught the frown on Eunwoo's face before she nodded. The shortest member stepped away from the door to let Eunwoo passed her. Yaebin didn't realize she held her breath when Eunwoo left the room. But Yaebin surely released a heavy sigh when Eunwoo entered the other room.

It even less than 10 seconds when Yaebin heard someone left the room. Without looking, Yaebin actually knew it would be Nayoung unnie, but she wanted to see what kind of expression she would see on Nayoung unnie's face when she left that room. A pang of guilt attacked Yaebin when she caught the broken heart on Nayoung unnie's eyes that she tried so hard to hide.

It made Yaebin run to her bed and sheltered herself with the blanket after she closed the door. She wished the guilt would be gone by hiding there although she knew how impossible it was. And she really wished Minkyung unnie who waited in the living room would help to ease that pain from Nayoung unnie. But Yaebin knew all her hopes shattered when she heard someone entered the room. It was Nayoung unnie.

Yaebin peeked Nayoung unnie who was laying in the bed while staring at the ceiling from her hiding spot. Nayoung unnie wasn't crying at the moment but what she saw hurt Yaebin more. Yaebin hated to see how Nayoung unnie acted all strong and indestructible that night. Nayoung unnie was human, she had - has - tears like another human being. She wasn't a stone like how people used to call her.

And it called her impulsive act as a caring dongsaeng when Yaebin left her hiding spot and squatted beside Nayoung's bed. "Unnie, are you sleeping?"

Nayoung unnie glanced at her and gave a forced small smile at her. It successfully broke Yaebin's heart. The guilt never left her that night.

"I'm waiting for Eunwoo. She is checking on Jieqiong right now. Why? You can't sleep because of the noises?"

Yaebin knew lying was bad, but she had no choice after what she did tonight. "I was awake to hear Sungyeon's scream after someone slammed the door. Is that Jieqiong?"

Yaebin noticed how Nayoung unnie immediately looked away when she mentioned Jieqiong's name. "I think she's tired.."

Aren't you too? It was the question that left unsaid from Yaebin. Instead, she asked a favor to the eldest member of their group. "Unnie... may I lay beside you?"

Yaebin didn't hear the answer but Nayoung unnie's action was enough to give her clue when she saw the small empty space in Nayoung unnie's bed. She shouldn't be happy for it, but Yaebin really really grateful for having this unnie in her life.

"Go back to sleep, Yaebin-ah. Unnie will cover your ears so no noises will disturb you again."

Although Nayoung unnie was being extremely nice, if only she knew what really happened, it made Yaebin want to cry. And it really hard to hold the tears that made Yaebin suddenly wrapped her arms around Nayoung's waist. "Unnie, I'm sorry..."

Yaebin really can't help but apologize for her lies. She should not have done what was done tonight.

"I'm sorry for not trusting you enough to handle Jieqiong and send Eunwoo. I wake her when I heard the noises," Yaebin actually wanted to vomit because of the lies she kept spilling. "I just realized you weren't sleeping when Eunwoo left our room. I actually didn't want to disturb you, but now..."

But now I keep ly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter