Two

Until It Breaks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Unnie, you don’t have to feel guilty. We understand.”

Nayoung sighed to find Bae Sungyeon brought that topic in the middle of their practice break. Although she understood the third maknae purposely did it because she wanted everyone to hear, Nayoung wished Sungyeon would do it personally (with Jieqiong only) instead in this forum. And what made Nayoung felt uncomfortable for so many reasons, she caught Jieqiong flinched to hear it. Without looking, Nayoung knew Jieqiong kept staring at her.

Did Jieqiong thought she told Sungyeon about what really happened between them? It was impossible from Nayoung’s point of view. It felt like if Nayoung really did it, she was asking for a pity.

“Nayoung unnie told me you were crying last night because you missed your IOI friends,” Sungyeon added when she met silent room. “You don’t have to feel guilty to have that feeling. We know they are precious for you too, just like us.”

Nayoung hoped Jieqiong would do something better than just nodded her head. It reminded her with speechless Jieqiong last night. Nayoung immediately shook the image from her mind to prevent tears fallen from her eyes. She really didn’t want to make a scene. Nayoung reasoned herself.

“We know Nayoung unnie was the only one who spending the thin and thick together with you there, but it doesn’t mean we can’t be your ears too,” Minkyung added.

Nayoung knew better although what Minkyung said was directing to Jieqiong, the second oldest was focusing on her. It alarmed Nayoung.

Sometimes Minkyung can be really sensitive. And Nayoung really wished it didn’t happen at this moment. No one needed to know what truly happened.

“Minkyung is right, Jieqiong-ah,” Kyungwon agreed. “We are your family here. You can share anything with us."

Nayoung was happy to see how affectionate her members toward each other. They were really one big happy family. But Nayoung also believed, every family has a secret that they couldn’t share with another family member. Nayoung hoped Jieqiong also thought the same about their situation.

“And we don’t mind if you want to start with your 98 liners friend,” Minkyung continued. “Or any of us you feel comfortable with.”

Nayoung secretly sighed in relief when Minkyung finally taking off her eyes from her and focused on Jieqiong. She really didn’t want any other than Minkyung was focusing their attention on her.

“And unnie too!”

Nayoung almost had a heart attack when Yewon suddenly shouted and pointed at her.

“Me?”

Nayoung really wished her face showed a blank face rather than deer-in-the-headlight. Nayoung made a mental note to practice her stone face more even though their managers told her to do the otherwise.

“Yes, unnie, you,” Yewon smiled brightly almost made Nayoung blind, not literally. “You also can share with us when you missed them.”

“Or any other problem you have, unnie,” Siyeon added.

Nayoung didn’t want to think when she caught Siyeon and Minkyung shared meaningful look. She only nodded her head as a sign she understood what the girls tried to say. Nayoung wanted to be believed their topic was about IOI kids, not other things.

“Okay, girls! Break is over! Let’s go back to practice!”

Nayoung loved the feeling of being saved by the bell but she can’t immediately sigh in relief when she can feel at least two pairs of eyes kept focusing on her. That night Nayoung didn’t dare to make sure who they were. Nayoung wanted to focus on practice. She reasoned herself again.

*

Later that night when the girls were ready to go back to the dorm, someone stopped Nayoung on the hallway.

“Nayoung, can you join us for awhile? The CEO-nim wants to talk with you.”

It was their manager. And it wasn’t actually request because the demand clearly reflected on her eyes. Nayoung asked the manager to wait for a minute because she needed to talk with the girls first. The manager agreed to wait for her.

“Do you want me to wait? I don't want you to walk alone later, unnie,” Minkyung offered. “Kyungwon can take the girls back first.”

“I don’t think it will be short meeting, but thanks for the offer,” Nayoung shook her head. “Just take the girls first. Make sure they go to bed after clean up. We have early schedule tomorrow,” she reminded Minkyung.

Minkyung nodded. Kyungwon who stood between them also did the same.

“And call me if something happened in your way home,” Nayoung added.

“Ay, ay, Captain!” Kyungwon playfully replied to light the mood.

“I trust you, Minkyung,” Nayoung deadpanned made everyone laughed except Kyungwon who pretending to be hurt.

After she made sure the girls left the building, Nayoung looked at the women who waited patiently for her. “Let’s go, unnie.”

And Nayoung’s prediction was right. The meeting wasn’t short at all. It was 2 in the morning when Nayoung left the building.

*

The empty living room greeted Nayoung when she entered the house. According to the unusually quiet house, Nayoung can tell the kids already slept. She was glad Minkyung handled the girls pretty well. They needed good enough rest to think they had intense schedule - practice, event, recording etc - recently.

With tired body and mind Nayoung entered her own room that she shared with Yaebin, Eunwoo and Yewon only to find someone was missing. She had suspicious where the girl was but she didn’t want to pry.

Nayoung thought it wasn’t her business despite her position as their leader. Some of them were adult after all. They had a right to do whatever they wanted. And Nayoung believed they knew what the best for them. And Nayoung… she, of course, had another reason. She actually can’t be sure if her heart can take it when she found out. And to distract her mind, Nayoung decided to take a bath.

Nayoung didn’t know what she should expec

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter