Three

Until It Breaks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Nayoung learnt the easy way to mend her broken heart was making herself busy. As a leader, it was a natural thing. She didn’t need to make herself look busy. She always had packed up schedule more than other members. Practices, stage performances, TV shows, meetings were always lined up. Nayoung didn’t have time to think of anything other than work. Because once she went back to the dorm, Nayoung already passed out in her bed, exhausted.

Yaebin was always the first to remind Nayoung about meals. Despite being her roommate, the leader knew Yaebin never said no to Minkyung’s order. And Nayoung was sure Minkyung ordered Yaebin to watch over her. And Yaebin did it willingly. Nayoung also noticed that.

“Unnie, I know you’re sleepy, but you need to finish your meal first,” Yaebin said while supporting Nayoung’s face before it slammed the table. Nayoung’s head kept nodding off since she sat on the dining table.

“Should I act as your mom and feed you?” Eunwoo jokingly asked although she seemed ready to take Nayoung’s spoon. The leader only giggled a little but it was clearly evidence the tiredness in her voice.

“I’m okay, kids. I will finish my dinner and go to bed,” She smiled. “Please don’t burn our dorm while I’m sleeping, okay?”

“Unnie, that’s one time incident!” Siyeon pouted, realizing what Nayoung referred to. “I forgot!”

“No, unnie, you always forget everytime you go to the kitchen,” Kyla deadpanned. “You were too immersed by your lovely ramyeon.”

“I was hungry! And no one feed me!” Siyeon tried to defend herself. She crossed her arms on her chest, completely sulking. “I will turn off the stove next time. I promise. Stop bring that topic!”

But clearly no one in the dorm would believe it.

Nayoung giggled and patted Siyeon’s head lightly. “Just reminder, Princess. I know you learn something from that, right?”

“Yep, totally. Never let Siyeon go to the kitchen alone,” Minkyung joined to tease the second maknae made Siyeon pouted more and everyone laughed.

“Why my parents are cooperating to bully me?! Auntie, save me!” Siyeon said while side hugging Kyungwon made almost everyone laughed. Nayoung only giggled because she was too tired.

“My, my, poor kid… Want Auntie to adopt you?” Kyungwon offered while patting Siyeon’s head.

“No. Ice cream will cheer me more,” Siyeon grinned.

“No ice cream before dinner,” Minkyung sternly said before Kyungwon had a chance to reply. “Let’s eat!”

“Yes, mom!” the PRISTIN kids playfully replied.

Nayoung noticed Jieqiong didn’t share the same excitement with other members since earlier. The Chinese Beauty seemed distracted and Nayoung was secretly observing her. And it made Nayoung wonder what really disturbed the younger girl’s mind. Could it be because she missed her family? Jieqiong used to be part of overly excited group when it came to ice cream, right?

Nayoung didn’t dare to ask but she made a mental note to ask the manager team about their break in the near future or even better if they had schedule in China. She remembered how hard Jieqiong cried in the show when she got video messages from her mother and little brother. It was kind of hard soothing her after that.

“Unnie, let’s eat.”

Nayoung’s train of thoughts was abruptly ended by the gentle tapping on her arm by Sungyeon.

“You can sleep right away if you quickly finish your food, Unnie. I know you’re sleepy, but hang on! Fighting!” Yewon cheered her.

Nayoung was grateful the kids took her silence as a sign of sleepiness. Although she noticed there was at least two people looked at her with doubtful eyes, they didn't dare to speak it up.

*

Nayoung didn't forget to lecture about safety to Minkyung and Kyungwon before let them go. And she also needed to reject Yewon who kept offering ice cream to her and only stopped when Minkyung agreed to buy Nayoung’s favorite later.

And Nayoung thought once the little ones left and the dorm was empty, she would fast sleep.But instead she found closing her eyes can be a difficult task. It was because of a certain someone kept bothering her mind.

Nayoung was rolling in her bed to get rid the image from her mind. She was trying to make her exhausted body to be more tired. And foolishly Nayoung pretended to sleep when the kids went back to the dorm and someone was checking on her.

"Goodnight, unnie," It was Minkyung. Nayoung recognized it from the voice. But what she didn't expect was the lingering kiss on the cheek afterward.

Nayoung knew Minkyung was very affectionate toward her, but something wasn't right... or might be it was more than should be. And it almost made Nayoung can’t sleep that night.

*

“Five more minutes, Jieqiong…” Nayoung blinked her eyes because of slipped of the tongue. Her sleepiness was suddenly gone. She was speechless when her eyes met Yaebin’s.

“Jieqiong used to wake you up in IOI dorms, isn’t she?” Yaebin giggled. “But sorry, unnie, it’s my job now.”

Nayoung convinced herself Yaebin didn’t catch the longing in her eyes to hear what she said.

“Come on, unnie. Everyone is waiting for you at the living room,” Yaebin continued as she rose from her sitting position on the bed beside Nayoung. “You need to be ready in 20 minutes.”

Nayoung released a long sigh that she didn't know she held when Yaebin closed the door. She can’t be like that. She shouldn’t be shaking because of small moment like this.

And last night she almost can't sleep with the same reason - Jieqiong's gloomy face kept occupying her mind - and she shouldn't let her also ruined the day. Nayoung needed to be more focus.

Nayoung slapped herself, not too hard because she can’t leave any mark on her cheeks, to wake her up to reality. And if someone asked - or noticed what she did - she would said it was to rid off her sleepiness. No one asked.

*

“Jieqiong, focus! This is our routine! How can you make mistakes in the same movement?! Focus!!”

Nayoung flinched to hear how their dance teacher’s voice kept increasing in each words. And from the mirror, she caught Jieqiong was trembling like she was in the verge of crying. At moment like this, Nayoung really wanted to hold her and reassure that everything was fine.

“Did you fly from China to come here for daydreaming?! You can do it there! No need to come here!”

The teacher kept scolding her. And Nayoung completely understand because it wasn't the first time Jieqiong get caught making the same mistake. It was her fifth or sixth time she get caught. But Nayoung also knew Jieqiong didn't do it on purpose. She was distracted although Nayoung still didn't know the reason because Jieqiong was part of the girls that barely made mistakes in dance class.

"Sosaengnim ..." Nayoung tried to control the situation for seeing the younger members begin to look panicked at the anger of their teachers. But it instead struck her back.

"Do not try to defend her, Nayoung-ssi!" The teacher warned her.

"I'm not trying to make excuses but we've been practicing without a break since the morning. Does it make sense our tired bodies make us lose focus? "N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter