Chapter 8

Stairs of Dust

 


So they've been meeting to study for two weeks now, on the same day of the week as the previous lecture papers delivery day. It was no longer necessary to deliver any papers since they have no more class until the exam takes place though. Which makes this journey a whole lot more meaningful for the both of them, or at least to Chanyeol. He can only hope Kyungsoo feels the same.

A hot morning's light is making its way over Chanyeol's face and head through the window while he stares at himself in the mirror hung on the wall of his bedroom. Somehow, magically, he doesn't look as tired anymore.

There are no heavy dark circles under his eyes from the lack of sleep, or lack of energy in general. It's true that his sleeping hours haven't changed much, but the amount of time he spends doing productive things in his waking hours has grown.

So while he feels more content with his activities, his body must be feeling the relief and behaving accordingly too. Which is great, because he looks damn fantastic. Back in shape, back with his darkened sun kissed skin.

Trailing fingers over his own head Chaneyol came to the realization that his hair could definitely use some reshaping, maybe a new perm or a fresh cut. That'd be nice. He could surprise Kyungsoo the next time he comes over.

Wait, Kyungsoo, hair. Kyungsoo is in dire need of a haircut. Especially after the adorably stupid way he had to tie his hair for the past two meetups. And even if today isn't their usual meeting day of the week, nothing is stopping Chanyeol.

Actually, something is stopping Chanyeol. What if Kyungsoo is busy and wouldn't be able to go with him? What if he'll pop and disturb something important? What if Kyungsoo doesn't even want to see him on other days at all?

Wait...

Wait a moment once again. Since when does Chanyeol worry this much about what might be happening with anybody else? Why is he so worried he might be causing trouble to someone?

Realizing that his mind and level of matureness has developed so much that he actually cares and worries about his relationship with another person is actually incredible. It's quite amazing on it's own, but when that person is none other than Kyungsoo, a person Chanyeol never in his life would have wanted to even walk on the same side of the street as, this achievement is twice as great.

How busy can Kyungsoo possibly be, doing things... Well, only in the same apartment. How many years has he been stuck in that apartment in a row? How often does he come out?

Chanyeol has endless questions regarding his friend. He actually wants to know something about someone else. He wants to hear it all and understand it all and see Kyungsoo be himself. And happy. Definitely happy.

He shouldn't worry too much. As bad as it is of him to think, now that he's aware that thoughts he is thinking might actually be offensive and pretty cruel, he knows that the one thing he can be confident about is Kyungsoo's desire to see Chanyeol too.

The chances of him being so busy with something he won't be able to stop are very low, while the chances of him wanting to see Chanyeol and spend time with him are clearly at the very high precentage of plausibility.

Chanyeol might actually be dealing with new feelings and struggles regarding his new aquired trait of 'care' but his confidence and self worth suffered no change in the process. So he can easily give himself enough credit to be secure about knowing Kyungsoo would be happy seeing him unexpectedly.

Right?

He wonders yet again, his long legs already leading him out of the university and towards the familiar old neighbourhood that doesn't feel like anything negative anymore.

A haircut is a good opportunity to bond a little more. It's also the perfect timing, because if according to Kyungsoo's explanation he will be getting to university to take the final exam with everyone else, Kyungsoo needs to look proper.

Coming to the university with the cute yet goofy looking hairtie right above his forehead might not be the best choice of fashion. It's obvious that Kyungsoo will be receiving quite a lot of attention once he gets there.

Not that he looks bad or anything like that, he's still occupying the top of the 'Smash' side list of Chanyeol's very shallow and simple Smash or Pass separation process he goes through with every person he sees.

Even if half of Kyungsoo's entire body is still a mystery to Chanyeol, the hidden blanketed half, he'll be more than satisfied with the half he's already familiar with.

Taking Kyungsoo out to get a haircut actually means he will have to be the one making sure Kyungsoo not only leaves the house safely, but also returns in one piece. 

Chanyeol's steps slowed down a little with worry he still isn't used to containing. Will he be able to do it? If both of Kyungsoo's parents need to remain at home during the day of the exam to take him to the university, does it mean the task of taking him out is so taxing it requires two people?

Well, Chanyeol's strong. He'll be able to carry Kyungsoo and even his chair together at the same time if he needs to. Hopefully it wouldn't get to that, because even if his muscles will stand up to the task, his back might not.

Maybe he should have done his research beforehand... But at the same time, since when does he bother himself so much with preparations for anything? It'll be just fine. He's always able to improvise something out of nothing when the hour calls.

 


Thirty seven steps up the stairs and Chanyeol's taking a breath in order to calm himself down. It's hot outside, uncomfortably so, but he's going to be totally fine with sweating a little if it means getting Kyungsoo to finally cut his mess of a hair after all the months he watched it grow.

Knocking twice he hoped that the recognizable symbol of himself appearing at Kyungsoo's door will be clear. Of course he was a little curious whether or not Kyungsoo would be home at all. But a few slow creaking sounds of the familiar chair could be heard behind the door and he knew he can breathe in relief.

Unlike usual, the door was unlocked and opened slowly, warily, only a thin gap opened between the doorframe and the pulled back door, Kyungsoo's messy hair and thick glasses peeking behind the door at the unexpected guest.

"Chanyeol?"

After a few moments of silent blinking in Chanyeol's direction, he grinned and waved at Kyungsoo cheerfully.

"Yo!"

A bright obvious shine sparked in Kyungsoo's half hidden eyes and the door almost flung open beside him, widely revealing the entrance to the apartment, along with the excited smile that grew on his classmate's face.

"What are you doing here? Are there more papers? I thought there weren't any classes until the exam? Did you come to study with me again?"

He began shooting out wondering questions at Chanyeol pretty quickly, not really giving him any time to respond. By the end of the last question though, Kyungsoo's entire body straightened up in his chair with happiness.

How could Chanyeol even doubt Kyungsoo. How could he imagine that Kyungsoo might not want to see him? The connection of their friendship depends on Chanyeol's initiative, sadly, but he shouldn't feel discouraged because of it anymore.

He now knows that Kyungsoo's more than thrilled to have him around no matter for what reason. What a boost in confidence this is, but also a boost of warmth into his already hot heart from spending time outside under the sun.

"Nope! I came for something way cooler. But you have to promise me you'll agree."

Chanyeol teased, smiling down at Kyungsoo with a hint of mischief while crossing his arms. He's just messing with the boy, there's nothing special or amazing about getting a haircut really. It'll simply be more fun that way.

Kyungsoo was clearly surprised from having Chanyeol there at all, and even more now that he came with a possibly mischiveous offer of an activity for the two of them to partake in. Chanyeol could almost see how the gears in Kyungsoo's head began spinning to calculate an answer.

His face started going serious as well. This is definitely not what Chanyeol intended. He laughed warmly and waved a hand at Kyungsoo's direction, dismissing what sorts of possibly sincere thoughts formed.

"I'm just joking, don't get so serious, I'm here to take you out for a haircut. I saw my hair this morning and decided to get one. Then it reminded me of the nest on your head."

The seated boy sighed with relief and chuckled lightly, running a hand over his head, pulling a few hairs away from his eyes, only to allow them to fall back right after when the fingers stopped holding them away.

He smiled, but the smile started fading away slowly the longer he thought about it. Very gently he tugged to his own covered lower half of the body and averted his eyes downwards.

"I probably shouldn't."

"What are you talking about? Of course you should! It keeps falling into your eyes every moment. Must be annoying."

Chanyeol shrugged and protested right away. Why was Kyungsoo's happiness slowly draining out of him? Was it a bad decision to offer him such an adventure? Chanyeol just thought it'd be a useful event to take advantage of, since he's going to be out anyway.

"Yes, it is but.. It's too much trouble to get me outside. I don't want to burden you. You don't like these things."

Kyungsoo admitted, looking back up at Chanyeol with a small smile that's attempting to seem normal, but it was clear that there was a lot of sadness behind the slightly shaking corners of his lips.

Well, Chanyeol came prepared. Kind of. At least mentally prepared for the process of getting Kyungsoo out of the apartment and into the rest of the world. Who knows how long it's been since he left the place?

From the constant growth of his hair ever since they met for the first time, it might as well be as long as all of these long hot months, or even before. Since it was Baekhyun who took care of the paper delivery originally.

"Hey, it's fine. Just tell me how to do it. Do you not trust my fabulous biceps?"

Chanyeol reassured him with gentle confidence, and then changed his standing position. He pulled one of his sleeves up and exposed his entire arm, flexing it while grinning down at his friend with pride.

It was quiet. He expected at least a little bit of a reaction, but when he opened his eyes from the satisfied grin all he saw was Kyungsoo's nearly shocked expression staring at him with absolute awe. 

Maybe it was just the heat, but Chanyeol thought he saw a thin hue of pink wash over Kyungsoo's cheeks as well. His mouth slightly agape while he just sat there and breathed, taking the sight in.

"Well?"

"A-Ah--! Uhm--.. I trust them.. yeah. Uh..."

Kyungsoo was startled out of his state of trance and quickly turned his head aside, rubbing the back of his neck while forcing out small fake laughters to avoid awkwardness.

God. He is so obvious. Chanyeol couldn't have been happier to know he's still got it. He's still as hot as he takes himself to be. His ego definitely inflated a little by knowing he makes even this cute kid blush.

Anybody who'd be admiring his looks would help his self-assurance, it's not anything special that in this case the person who does it is Kyungsoo. Maybe a little because they're friends, but nothing else.

 


After a little while longer of attempts to persuade Kyungsoo to agree, he really did. Good. Now Chanyeol will get to see how his actual face looks like when he's groomed properly. The way he deserves.

Through Kyungsoo's direct instructions, even though it was a little hard for Chanyeol to contain due to the general discomfort he still senses deep inside regarding the lack of mobility, he was able to do it.

The first stage in the process of getting him out of the apartment, is to take him off of the chair onto another sitting surface. The couch did the trick, Kyungsoo basically moved onto it by himself once he unbuckled the old belt from around himself.

The second stage is taking the chair itself down the stairs to wait for them down on the street. Easy. The chair is made of a thin hollow aluminum structure, with a seat stretching along made of old looking combination of plastic and leather.

Chanyeol easily grabbed it in his hands and put it down in the street, right by the stairs. A few people who ended up somehow walking down the same road were giving him and the chair curious yet cold looks.

The third stage is taking Kyungsoo himself down to the chair. Now this part was a little more interesting to put in action, at least in Chanyeol's opinion.

After climbing back up to Kyungsoo, he stood in front of him for a while, wondering with himself what would be the most appropriate way to pick him up which would be comfortable for them both in the path down the stairs.

Noticing his struggle, Kyungsoo just reached his arms upwards at Chanyeol, looking at him with a completely neutral expression. Chanyeol kneeled down and allowed Kyungsoo to wrap his arms around his neck and shoulders, clinging tightly.

It was not exactly a hug, most definitely not a hug actually, but the feeling of Kyungsoo holding onto him tight and firm was so fulfilling. With a small smile his classmate couldn't see, Chanyeol carefully held around his waist, surprised from how thin he is underneath the layers of clothes and blankets.

Without much struggle Chanyeol's second arm slid under Kyungsoo's legs which were still covered by the blanket. He froze for a little while. Eyes wide.

Kyungsoo's legs.. They are.. So light. So thin. Even from above the fabric of Kyungsoo's trousers, Chanyeol could feel how boney they were. It feels strange. It sends odd cold tingles up his spine, but there is nothing he can do about it now. He has to accept it.

While lifting the boy up in his arms a lot more easily than he initially expected, he already turned out of the apartment. Allowing Kyungsoo to lock the door in his arms. He could feel Kyungsoo's chest, and hear his breathing right next to his ear.

Kyungsoo is so small. Small and fragile, and Chanyeol has so much power in his hands to lend him and make him so much more powerful. He's so cute, yet he's so miserable. These two things just don't seem to fit together in Chanyeol's dictionary.

Stage four was easier, all he needed to do was place Kyungsoo properly in the chair. He stood, a little struck from the experience of carrying him down the stairs, and watched how Kyungsoo buckled himself up, fixed his legs' positioning and covered them with the blanket again. Proper and neat.

Nobody would have guessed just how vulnerable Kyungsoo really is. Chanyeol felt like he was exposed to something he wasn't supposed to see or know of. Once the ordeal was done Kyungsoo finally made eye contact with him again, catching him startled.

"I'm sorry, it must have been hard."

He apologized immediately, looking down at his own blanketed legs with utter shame and helplessness. Now that he's stuck down there, if Chanyeol decides to leave him he really will be helpless. Until his parents arrive home at least.

A whole new world suddenly opened in front of Chanyeol's eyes, and heart. Chanyeol hates responsibility. He hates knowing that any of his actions might affect any other people. And now he realized that by taking Kyungsoo out like this, the boy's under his charge.

His well being now depends on Chanyeol's care. It was a heavier weight to carry than it was to carry Kyungsoo himself down the stairs.

"No. It was strange... But it's fine. You're really light. Do you eat enough?"

Chanyeol admitted, calmly. He didn't want to alarm Kyungsoo and possibly make him feel like the burden he already thinks he is. Something in Chanyeol just clicked, and realized just how stupid his 'fear' of him was before.

The old Chanyeol would have stood up right there and left. Not even blinking in Kyungsoo's direction even if it means the boy would have to wait downstairs under his very own house the entire day for someone to help him.

Good thing he's not the old Chanyeol anymore. Good thing that this boy has changed him. Rather than worrying about how he'll bring Kyungsoo back to his home, Chanyeol made sure to let Kyungsoo understand he's more concerned with his eating habits.

Even with the honest answer Kyungsoo didn't seem to be convinced Chanyeol was serious, so he had to step closer to his classmate and tap his shoulder gently.

"Hey, it's fine. I told you it'd be easy. You're lucky I work out."

Chanyeol winked down at Kyungsoo, who finally agreed to let out a little smile of approval.

 


They didn't really speak on the way to the hair salon located not far away. Chanyeol walked on the edge between the road and the pavement, while Kyungsoo rolled himself on with his arms. Creaking with each spin of the wheels. He didn't dare to raise his head and look at anybody around them.

Chanyeol didn't really mind. He didn't feel any shame walking around Kyungsoo or anything like that at all. He didn't want to get too deep into the thoughts about the moment either, because even to Chanyeol's blunt carefree mind it's obvious Kyungsoo's very ashamed.

What could he do in order to change it and help? Maybe it's the creaking of the chair that half grabs people's attention in their direction more than they normally would have spared for them if they were quiet.

Or maybe all of them are just as terrible as old-Chanyeol to be judgemental pieces of s about Kyungsoo's forced state of being. Either way, he was glad he didn't have to push Kyungsoo around himself, because it was hot.

So hot and bright that when he looked down to check on his buddy from time to time he'd nearly get dazzled by just how pale and white his skin was. Poor boy, it looks unhealthy. Really, how long as it been since he stepped outside? He looks like a ghost. Especially with the thick glasses and messy way-too-long hair.

Eventually, while Chanyeol's mind wandered around subjects as if skipping between rocks on a lake in his head, they made it to the known salon where Chanyeol's great friend works even before he started being a university student.

The son of one of Chanyeol's father's most trusted workers.

"Junmyeonie!!"

He shouted fearlessly while blasting the salon's door open, a wide grin spread across his lips. Right after the action that grabbed the attention of every single one of the salon's visitors and workers, he stood with the door open to allow Kyungsoo easy access inside.

His shy classmate rolled inside slowly, creaking lightly into a halt next to Chanyeol, who quickly left his side in order to rush forward towards the man who just popped his head out from the back door of the salon.

"Chanyeollie!!"

Chanyeol's old friend shouted back with just as much gathered excitement and with a roar of happy weird callings the two ran to each other and hugged tightly, squeezing impossibly hard, until Chanyeol began coughing from the choke of his unexpectedly strong little friend.

"Welcome back! I see you've brought us a special guest today~"

His soft eyed short friend exclaimed warmly and walked straight towards Kyungsoo, reaching his hand out for a shake.

Chanyeol watched how they greeted each other, and when Junmyeon walked back to him with a raised eyebrow he knew there were many questions he needs to answer until his friend will be free to properly style Kyungsoo.

"Isn't this the boy you told me you never want to see again in your life before?"

Junmyeon asked him quietly, and Chanyeol cleared his throat, rubbing the back of his head.

"Kinda. I guess. But now I want to see him all the time, so he might as well see me as well. Ya know."

He teased, making a small gag out of unsuspecting Kyungsoo's eye covering long hair. Along with this little comment he also turned his head back to check on his friend. Sitting quietly and staring at himself in the mirror right next to an actual salon chair.

Chanyeol sighed lightly and turned back to Junmyeon who was already preparing the need items for the haircut, humming to himself.

"Make him happy yeah? I think he hasn't been out of his own house for months."

"With that haircut? Definitely. Also, do you actually doubt my skills? Just get next to him, Sehun will take care of your mess."

Junmyeon replied quickly and sassily, shutting down any option for Chanyeol to answer anything other than a warm laughter. He stepped back to Kyungsoo and moved the salon chair sideways, helping Kyungsoo position himself right in front of the mirror before sitting down to the station beside him.

The two of them exchanged a small smile before the cloaks have been clicked around their necks and their styling has began.

 


It was a pleasant experience, Junmyeon, Chanyeol and even Sehun with their subtle encouragements and praises made Kyungsoo smile more than once, even laugh a few times, as Chanyeol watched Kyungsoo's big wonder filled eyes finally getting the exposure they deserve.

Luckily Junmyeon was kind enough to allow Chanyeol to pay for the both of them next time he comes around. Chanyeol knew in case anything related to money would be involved Kyungsoo will probably begin stressing again.

On their way back to Kyungsoo's apartment he was in a much better mood, actually looking around the town without hiding himself and his face down at the ground even while his chair kept creaking with every spin of the wheels.

Kyungsoo is beautiful.

Chanyeol already knew he was, but now that his face has the space to shine out it comes as a very obvious reminder to one of their very first meetings where he rated Kyungsoo as an ultimate Smash.

His eyes are bright and big and shining, with the glasses he really looks adorable. His cheeks are round and highlighted by the natural light coming from the sun, his lips are pink and plump and shaped like a heart.

Clearly, Chanyeol already thought he was one hell of an adorable boy. But with this easy transformation he was now standing on a whole new level of attractive.

Chanyeol kept teasing Kyungsoo as they made their way together towards the old building. Joking about how he'll be getting all the ladies at university when he comes to do the exams.

Just like he expected, Kyungsoo became shy and bashful, blushing and chuckling with honest humility. Unlike Chanyeol who is so used to being pampered by everyone who ever lays eyes on him about his appearance.

But seeing how modest and embarrassed Kyungsoo gets when even the most simple compliment is going his way made him realize that this boy probably receives little to no praises. Ever. Who would give them to him if he's stuck inside all alone?

He's so fantastic and cute, Chanyeol just can't help but become happy when seeing him shy out like this. It was sad to suddenly be aware of the fact that getting complimented is something new to him, but it was such a sight.

A sight that made Chanyeol's own heart beat faster without his knowledge inside his chest. It must be the hot weather, right? It must happen because they have been walking for a while, right?

Getting Kyungsoo back up into his apartment was a little easier now that Chanyeol was more familiar with Kyungsoo's hold around his neck and the still surprising light weight of the body.

This time around the first stage was to get Kyungsoo out of his chair and into the apartment. It took no effort out of Chanyeol to do. Carrying his small body up the thirty seven steps was simple.

The strange sensation of holding Kyungsoo's legs was still present, it was weird and felt a little wrong, like he's breaching a line he shouldn't even know exists.

Inside the house he layed Kyungsoo down to sit on the couch before carrying the chair itself back up again. Kyungsoo pulled onto the chair and buckled up on top of it by himself, fixing and legs and blanket neatly.

Their goodbye was easy and simple, Kyungsoo was wonderful. He was so much more than anything Chanyeol has ever seen in anybody. This small boy in his big chair have turned Chanyeol's head upside down. In the best way possible.

"Thank you, Chanyeol. It feels much better. I can see so well!"

"Duh."

Chanyeol rolled his eyes playfully in return, allowing the both of them to chuckle for a while before very gently patting Kyungsoo's shoulder one more time.

"I'll be seeing you very soon then. You'll be in uni for the exam, right? I'll find you."

Kyungsoo nodded with brightly shining eyes and waved at him until the moment they were no longer in each other's line of sight.

 


Mere minutes later, on Chanyeol's calm and content walk back to his own dorm in the university, he felt his phone buzzing in his jeans' pocket. A ringtone he hated hearing no matter how many years he had to get used to it.

With a grim sigh, yet with a hope that this call will still not be bad enough to ruin his uplifted mood from seeing Kyungsoo's happiness portrayed all over his now visible face, Chanyeol picked up.

"The do you want, Chris."

He spoke right away, fast and impatient. He has no time for his stupid 'friend' Chris Lee. The one bulky guy in university that had failed so many semesters in a row he's basically become a permanent student. 

Well known to all of the professors and university staffs due to his nasty behaviour towards anything, and anyone. The only reason they even have a connection at all is because Chanyeol lent him some money in order to purchase a few 'items' years ago, when he didn't know what mess he was getting himself into.

Now he is considered an honorary friend to Chris Lee and his gang of bullies who terrorize the poor youngsters of university who can't afford to raise a voice against them.

"We were supposed to meet at the PC cafe like an hour ago dude. Hurry up."

Oh. Right. Another exchange of currency was supposed to be taking place today. Chanyeol completely forgot about it. Well, not really, he made himself forget it on purpose because he simply hates being involved with them, even if some still consider him a 'Bad Guy' just like them.

He doesn't care much. None of these people matter. His own safety does though. And so he shouldn't be taking too many risks.

"My bad, forgot about it. Won't be able to make it today."

He attempted to explain as nonchalantly as possible.

"Won't make it for me, but you make it to the hair salon right on time? Hmm?"

Chanyeol's steps have ceased while his eyes widened. How...? How does Chris know about him going to the hair salon? There's no chance in the world that Junmyeon or Sehun are somehow connected to him.

"...What?"

"Don't worry pal, my boys are watching over you. You're an honorary ally, remember? Won't want you to get in trouble."

His voice was dark and cold. Something dry and brutal just like his personality. Just like his appearance which Chanyeol hoped he'll be able to forget if he hasn't seen him for long enough.

"That's ing creepy. Fine. I'll get there, you better compliment my new haircut though or no exchange."

Chanyeol attempted to bury his own exposed behaviour down under a layer of some half hearted joke. Luckily, it worked, because Chris laughed into the line before humming with approval and hanging up.

. Let's hope his 'boys' didn't say anything about Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol will be safe because he's rich and is part of the favourites, but Kyungsoo would be in trouble in case Chris will declare him a problem. How has he gone to the Do household all these months without a trace?

Whatever.

He turned around on his own steps and changed direction towards the mentioned PC cafe. No point keeping his mind occupied with anything else while he's around that guy.