Chapter 7

Stairs of Dust

 


Chanyeol could hear the steps echoing all through the hallway, up to Jongdae and his' dorm room, and then right up to his own bedroom's door. Yesterday he's made up with Kyungsoo. Today he's sitting and allowing his virtual pet in game to harvest random items.

The knock on his door was as loud as the thumps of the steps that came up to it a moment ago, and Jongdae was already out of his room, dealing with whoever might be standing there. Chanyeol hears laughter then, alright. Must mean it's someone they know.

Lazily he pulled the headphones off and stood up from his chair, allowing the game to play by itself for a while as he came to the door and pulled it open without a warning.

In front of him stood Baekhyun, a little surprised. Behind Baekhyun stood Jongdae, who's arms were wrapped around Baekhyun's waist and his chin resting on the latter's shoulder with a smile.

"Sup."

Chanyeol caught Baekhyun by surprise that's for sure, but he quickly cleared his throat and pointed a finger up at his tall friend.

"I deserve a freakin' explanation Park Chanyeol. What were you doing yesterday? Did you actually deliver the papers yourself? Why?"

It felt almost like Baekhyun was trying to blame him for doing something bad, which he didn't do. If anything, he did something so great that within a day brought his entire life back on track. Or made it even better.

"It's fine. I got this. You can continue telling the professor you deliver the papers if you care about the ty five points raise in grade. I'll be doing it till graduation."

Both Jongdae and Baekhyun's eyes widened from the bold statement. He spoke carelessly, yet with arrogant confidence of sorts. Like he's hiding a secret that only he knows about. Like he's better than anyone else.

"Wow. Okay. What the hell."

Baekhyun turned his head sideways towards Jongdae, and the other did the same, looking at each other with suspicion for a while before stepping back and allowing Chanyeol to pass by them towards their dorm room's kitchen.

"I'm definitely missing something, but heck, if you agree to do this I'm not going to complain."

He continued on, following after Chanyeol towards the kitchen while Jongdae's still wrapped around him lazily. Chanyeol just shrugged and pulled out a small snack out of their secret sweets stash in the hight cabinet.

A moment later he threw the snack at Baekhyun who caught it surprised. Chanyeol feels good. Chanyeol feels really good. Because Kyungsoo in the back of his head feels good. And Kyungsoo deserves to feel as best as possible and therefore things are okay.

It's a lot easier to get along with himself now after he has accepted that there is some sort of a heart in him. Something that still has human remains of an emotion called 'Caring'. Which Chanyeol never knew existed within him.

He's got it. This time and every time, Chanyeol's got it. He'll continue delivering papers to Kyungsoo in exchange of... Well, of being with Kyungsoo? Which is the weirdest benefit Chanyeol thought he'd want to have.

There is just something else about that boy that Chanyeol simply cannot unhook from. Maybe it was the fact that he was exposed to the entire process of Kyungsoo's hair growth for example. 

Starting with it barely touching his eyebrows on the first day they met, and now who knows how many, many weeks later, the hair is nearly passing his nose.

It's definitely not the neighbourhood, or the creaking chair, but it could be Kyungsoo's gentle way of talking. It could be the effort he puts out in order to satisfy Chanyeol's requests.

Actually, Chanyeol had realized after yesterday that he has been much more of an than he knew. He had a pretty deep discussion with Jongdae about the whole situation. His angelic friend called him out on his behaviour and save him a bit of his own opinion, balancing out Chanyeol's swaying heart between the selfishness and the selflessness.

He kept asking Kyungsoo for things that to a normal person like him would be easy to fulfill, but for Kyungsoo's limited movement are quite difficult and challenging. Until yesterday, he didn't even realize he had been doing it.

But he told himself that he'll be more careful. Chanyeol hates thinking about the wheelchair, but he doesn't really hate thinking about Kyungsoo. It came to the point where he was wondering if he should offer help doing certain things when he visits.

That's how far he's come now. After having some sense talked into him.

Baekhyun has no choice but accept the fact that Chanyeol is taking over the role. Jongdae seems to be supportive though, he's the one who pushed Chanyeol to act out on his own struggles and make it up with the boy.

 


--

 


Delivery day's here, Chanyeol's in front of the door, already knocked, already carrying a plastic bag containing two bottles of random juices he stopped to buy on his way. Already holding the papers in his other hand when Kyungsoo opened the door.

Still with the hair on his face and eyes, he looks messy compared to the cleaniness of the entire apartment or his own neatly wrapped blanket around the lower half of his body. But he's smiling, and that's all that matters.

Almost naturally, he steps inside and sits down at his usual couch spot, watching how Kyungsoo's raising his arms up high in order to reach a top cabinet that shelves the glasses. Then he rolls and creaks back to the living room.

The two of them share refreshing glasses of juice, talk a little bit about school and their projects, and even watch TV for a while. There is no awkwardness between them anymore even if Chanyeol still sometimes feels like the chair is giving him the creeps.

Thanks to his massive improvement during the single week that passed after his quick recovery of contact with Kyungsoo, Chanyeol had also realized that this year he's going to have to work harder when it comes to studying.

He explained to Kyungsoo how normally he'd wait until the very last minute with anything school related, then binge study really hard for three days and still pass with an A. It seems the boy was shocked to know that.

It's probably the exact opposite way of handling it than Kyungsoo would have chosen. So he must be surprised. But he admitted that he doesn't really enjoy studying himself. He didn't mention why, but Chanyeol thinks it might have a lot to do with the fact that he's all alone.

Chanyeol couldn't stay for too long this visit, because he needs to actually begin the studying process way ahead of time in order to catch up to all the weeks he wasted himself away due to the emotional wreck he's become after the conflict with Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol couldn't stay for long because he had another meeting to get to. Or rather, a meeting to avoid. He's tired of helping whatever it is his student friend does with his money before it's being returned. Nothing good can come out of it.

But the boy greeted him goodbye warmly, and really meant it when he said 'Good Luck'. So he will have good luck. Chanyeol will make sure of it.

 


--

 


Another week had passed and Chanyeol's hopping up the stairs almost as if they lead to his own home. Humming to himself a song that's been stuck in his head because Jongdae just wouldn't stop singing it around their dorm.

He knocked twice and even clicked his fingers along with the creak of Kyungsoo's chair approaching the door since it somehow fit into the beat of the song.

Still with a long messy hair, still with a small yet content smile, still with the blanket wrapped neatly around his lower body, Kyungsoo opened the door, already standing a pretty large distance behind so Chanyeol would be able to enter without waiting.

Chanyeol continued clicking his fingers while stepping in, half wiggling his body with an imaginary music playing in the background until he finally fell down onto his usual spot on the couch and stretched his arms with a groan.

When he finally turned and looked at Kyungsoo he could see the other's bright smile and amusement while rolling himself closer.

They are friends now. They are more than just strangers, more than just classmates. They know each other. They are compatible and they actually enjoy each other's company whenever Chanyeol comes to visit.

Chanyeol has been thinking for a while that it's a shame that he's the one responsible for keeping in contact with Kyungsoo since the boy simply is unable to connect with anyone that doesn't come to him directly.

It was a little bothersome for him at first, he felt like it's unfair for a bit during the week, but eventually his brain managed to go through the mature logical thinking process.

He realized that even though such a situation can easily be precieved as if Kyungsoo doesn't care about him, reality says otherwise. Kyungsoo always takes good care of him and his needs when he arrives.

Always caters to his requests even if Chanyeol's still slightly careless about what he wants and somtimes tasks Kyungsoo with missions that make him feel bad for asking because of how much effort he has to put into completing them.

This time, Chanyeol came with more than just papers for Kyungsoo. While his seated friend read over the papers with interest, he pulled out a whole stash of studying material. They are classmates after all, therefore they should be able to study the same subject together.

He pulled out three books, two notebooks and a whole binder with endless essays, lecture papers and works.

"Whoa, you brought everything?"

Kyungsoo looked at the spreaded out study material on the table and ran his fingers over a few of the papers just to examine them a little further.

"I'll bring mine too!"

He then declared and rolled himself into the hallway, somehow fitting the chair exactly in the right angle so that neither of its wide sides would scratch against the wall that looks like it has been scratched by the chair's metal for years.

A moment later he returned with a few books and notebooks himself and placed them right beside Chanyeol's items with a small smile.

"I know I'm kinda falling on you with this out of nowhere, but let's study together. I actually.. Uhm. I kinda missed the last three weeks because I was being a piece of , so I need a little help."

Chanyeol admitted, rubbing the back of his head a little nervously. Not because he was worried about Kyungsoo's thoughts about it, but because he felt like an idiot for being such a stubborn fool and causing this mess for himself.

 


In the end it went well though.

Because Kyungsoo laughed happily before rolling himself even closer to Chanyeol's spot on the couch and nodding with a wide smile. Of course he would. Of course Kyungsoo would love to study with someone.

Chanyeol should take advantage of this and learn as much as he can. Even though Kyungsoo himself admitted he isn't really one to enjoy school, or studying, he must know more about the subject than Chanyeol who missed most of it.

Kyungsoo went along, he helped Chanyeol with everything he couldn't understand. Explaining patiently and calmly even if he himself had to sometimes check in the book for the details he was explaining about.

Clearly the both of them aren't that far apart when it comes to this. But it felt nice. It was comfortable and pleasant.

The only thing that Chanyeol noticed while they were studying, is the fact that Kyungsoo continously struggles to keep the hair away from his face. Pulling it behind his ears until it slips back, trying to brush it backwards with his fingers, but yet again it keeps falling back.

"Hey, maybe you should like, tie it somehow. Your hair I mean."

He eventually couldn't hold back from suggesting, because Kyungsoo's constantly fiddle with it made him feel a little restless himself.

"Oh, that's actually a good idea."

His host blinked a little surprised. Did he really not think about this himself until now? Does he do everything he does while constantly battling with his hair? Well. Good thing Chanyeol was there to let him know it's a possibility.

Fairly quickly the boy rolled away, coming back a few moments later with the front of his hair tied upwards in a silly looking ponytail that comes straight above his forehead.

Unable to contain himself, Chanyeol burst out in laughter from the entertaining sight, but holy damn it was adorable. And at the moment his eyes landed on Kyungsoo's face right beneath the source of laughter, he didn't feel like laughing so much anymore.

Kyungsoo was smiling warmly, his eyes shining and bright behind the thick rimmed glasses, his lips curved upwards in a grin, his cheeks reflecting light brightly with a thin layer of blush, and his forehead finally exposed for the first time was as smooth as the rest of his skin.

What a sight. Kyungsoo looks so young and clean that it's almost like Chanyeol's taking care of a very independent big baby.

They studied together for hours. Peacefully, calmly. Just enjoying each other's company. As much as Chanyeol knew that Kyungsoo was probably never even able to study with anybody else before, he felt like this was a new experience for him too.

Chanyeol would have studied all of this on his own, locked in his room and not letting go of the books and notes for hours and hours on end. But now with Kyungsoo's slow breathing pattern next to him he doesn't even sense the stress.

 


All things come to an end.

In this case, good things. Because Chanyeol really enjoyed himself, and completely forgot that Kyungsoo was stuck on cranky old chair inside this apartment until the moment he realized the sun was no longer shining from the window.

"Thanks for today buddy. Helped me a bunch."

He smiled down at Kyungsoo, standing by the door with his backpack containing all of the notes and book that he brought with him hours ago. The boy's hair still tied up in the funny looking rubber on top of his forehead.

"No, thank you. Chanyeol. It was a lot of fun to study together. Really."

Kyungsoo beamed back at him, now the sparkles in his eyes are visible, and Chanyeol feels a little taken aback by just how beautiful Kyungsoo can be when he's truly happy. He's never been hit with such a large amount of pureness before.

"I'll see you soon then."

Chanyeol greeted and waved him goodbye, stepping down all thirty seven steps. As he started walking further away from the building he could see that the door up on the third floor was still open for a while. Even if he couldn't see Kyungsoo from down below.

A moment after the door had finally closed, a car drove past him on the street and parked right under under the building. Oh. He's never seen anybody else that lives in this building before. Is it one of Kyungsoo's neighbours?

Out of curiousity that Chanyeol couldn't prevent himself from having even though not long ago he would have considered such desire stupid since he 'Didn't care', he remained standing in the street to watch.

A short middle aged woman stepped out of the car, unloading a bunch of plastic bags containing what looks like groceries from his point of view, and carrying all of them together in her arms as she started climbing up the stairs.

Alright, so she isn't from the first floor. Not the second either... Does she live right next to Kyungsoo's apartment?

Surprised, Chanyeol realized the woman knocked on the door of the apartment he had just left. Even while being on the ground, three floors below, he could hear Kyungsoo's chair creaking as he made it to the door and opened it again.

The woman entered, the door closed, and all Chanyeol could assumed was that this woman could be none other than Kyungsoo's mother.

 


--

 


The next week Chanyeol arrives, he's carrying the backpack filled with studying material, and a plastic bag containing a bunch of snacks he decided to purchase for their shared study session for the day.

There are no more lessons he needs to attend, because now all of the material has been given out, and in one week's time the final exam of their subject will be taking place in the university. So Chanyeol came a little earlier than normal.

It didn't seem to surprise Kyungsoo though, because he gladly opened the door after the usual two knocks, and even had his hair already tied up in the little rubber to reveal his eyes and forehead to the world.

Instantly, Chanyeol began laughing from seeing the cheerful grin on his classmate's face, and stepped inside, spreading the sheets and also the supply of snacks all over the coffee table in the living room. Their usual hangout spot.

One thing kept haunting him during this week though. Kyungsoo's mother. He tried his best to focus while they began reading through the summaries of the subjects they were supposed to learn for the exam, but it kept bugging him.

The exam next week is supposed to be taken inside the university. But Kyungsoo is... Well, unable to get there. How will he do the exam? What did he study all this time for if he won't be able to reach there and take the final? Will someone come to test him specifically?

Not that he minds that much. He realized that he cares about Kyungsoo, but not enough to break his head over speculations and theories of what would happen if, when and where. It's pointless.

While lying backwards all over the length of the couch, his feet towards Kyungsoo's direction beside the coffee table, Chanyeol stared at him for a while, seeing how his eyes are running over the pages he's reading.

"I know it's a random question but... How are you going to take the exam?"

Kyungsoo finished reading the line he began reading before finally turning to look at Chanyeol's direction, only now realizing the giant's feet were pretty close to his location. With a small pout he gave them a glance before rolling a little sideways to keep his distance from the possible discomfort.

"Just like every year. My parents are taking a day off of work to bring me over to the University. The other exams the professor comes to test me on his own.. But since it's a final..."

"Oh wow."

"Yeah."

The two kept looking at each other for a while, neither of them sure if the other has anything else to say about it. Chanyeol decided to drop the subjects, and turned to look back at the book resting on top of his chest.

So he was half correct, but also wrong. It's actually pretty neat of the professor to spare the time and make Kyungsoo feel a little more connected by visiting to test him out. Chanyeol never realized that things like this even happen.

Hell, Chanyeol never knew that paraplegic people like Kyungsoo even study at all. Until not long ago he was sure they are all lowlives who are just a burden on society.

It's better to not dwell in this too much. Kyungsoo will come to university for the exam at the cost of a whole day of work that his parents will be missing. That's a little unfair. Why would they have to get paid less just because of Kyungsoo while students like Chanyeol himself don't even need to talk to their parents. Let alone make them miss an entire day of work.

After a while, Chanyeol managed to focus his efforts back into the studying material, but once he made it back to the dorm that evening, he kept thinking about the lack of justice from the situation.

Shouldn't the school itself worry about every single one of their students? As much as it is the students' responsibility to participate in exams on their own, shouldn't the system provide at least a little bit of assistance?

Or maybe just like Chanyeol himself used to be, the system doesn't care because some people are just worth less than others?

Ugh, just thinking about it makes him feel sick to the stomach. The same reaction he used to have to thinking about restricted people like Kyungsoo himself, is now coming to him from thinking about the injustice that is being done to people like Kyungsoo himself.

What a turn. Chanyeol has really matured. Kind of. Maybe. He isn't sure. He's still sitting and playing his virtual games right now, right after coming back from studying with Kyungsoo.

Maybe something can be done, though.