Chapter 3

Stairs of Dust

 


Okay, so Chanyeol loves the summer. He really does.

He has no problem handling the larger amounts of people crowding the streets, he has no problem dealing with the near vacancy that silences the university grounds when the season comes, either.

He does have a problem dealing with the more frequent requests he's being instructed to do, by a man he doesn't want to anger too much, but he can handle it. He has ever since he started university after all.

Even though his course specifically doesn't really get a break, in order to push in enough material before the exam that comes sooner than the rest of the studying courses, he doesn't care.

Less faces around and less noise to get annoyed with when he's immersed in his own virtual world.

Chanyeol loves the summer. The sun is the source of life, and it's always nice to feel its beams on his skin. He loves the summer because he is also very lucky. The type of lucky that has the good genes where he never burns, only tans.

And hot damn he loves it when his skin gets baked out in the natural oven of earth. Every curve of his muscles looks at least twice as impressive when there are darker shades to contour the masterpiece.

Mostly though, Chanyeol loves the summer because it means there are so many more free stuff to claim in his favourite activity. His games.

While the university grounds are lifeless since the remaining students prefer staying anywhere than under the sun, the gaming community is thriving.

He just can't get enough. Spending even more hours every single day in achieving as much as possible for his magical virtual self. He's gotten better, almost surpassing Baekhyun's constant upper hand.

Along with the shift of indoors lifestyle that comes with the summer's arrival, there is a change in the outdoors too. When Chanyeol realizes the first glands of sweat start producing with the first heat, he changes his workout regime.

Now instead of going to the gym, he runs. Sometimes he runs even twice a day. It's a good way to let out his pent up energy from lack of activities in university except the reduced number of classes to attend.

Rather than running to build up his stamina Chanyeol runs in order to let loose of his excess zest. He loves running fast and strong, running until he exhausts himself to the bone, and then half jogging half walking his way back to the dorm.

It's freedom. It's exposure to the sun's grace. It's only a temporary state of discomfort from sweat that will get washed off in the shower at the moment he returns.

Baekhyun and Jongdae attempted to join him. Once. One time was enough for them to give up on the thrill. Jongdae didn't last too long and eventually returned after only halfway through Chanyeol's routine.

Baekhyun lasted the entire run until the middle point where he usually turns back, Chanyeol will give him credit for that, because wow. One wouldn't expect him to stand such a workout bravely.

On the way back he waddled after Chanyeol's rather jumpy self. Jumpy and cheerful to hold the lead, and also because it was just too much fun to tease drained unresponsive huffing Baekhyun for half the way.

Summer could stand up to par with spring as his favourite season.

Not this year though. This year the summer has only just began, and yet there is still a certain weight looming over him.

It's all because of Baekhyun's annoying extra credit task. It's almost stupid how Chanyeol became the one doing the work while Baekhyun enjoys all of its benefits on his own.

Not that Chanyeol really needs any extra credit for his grades, he's doing extra well this year on this aspect. It often comes as a surprise for his two friends. The extreme difference between Chanyeol's way of carelessly handling his life and his unexpected academic success.

But he feels like he's being used. Does he really deserve this punishment? The weekly repeated punishment?

Baekhyun should have just changed the day in which he goes to the deliver the stupid papers and do it by himself. Chanyeol attempted convincing him to do it, but the other had always simply ignored his request or changed the subject.

Though in all honesty, it isn't that bad of a work to do. It's just a walk there, thirty seven steps up, thirty seven steps down, and a walk back with a little less weight to carry since the papers were given away.

Simple enough. He's stuck with it in the form of a favour he still regrets accepting to commit to, but who knows. Maybe Baekhyun will finally realize at some point just how much he owes Chanyeol for this service.

 


Specifically today, it actually came in handy that he needed to go out, because he would be able to take advantage of this task and turn it into his workout for the day.

A quick strength run to the paraplegic boy's apartment and a quick strength run back sounds like a fair amount of energy to spend. Class was even cancelled today, which left his big body restless for engagements.

With a tank top, sporty shorts, a small backpack to carry the papers and a cap pressing down on his hair, Chanyeol began his fitness plan for the next approximately  thirty minutes.

Six weeks.

Chanyeol went to the Do household to deliver the lecture papers for six weeks in a row now. Almost two whole months him and the constantly absent student stuck in a wheelchair have known each other.

Well, not really. Because Chanyeol doesn't even know him. Not his name, not his age, not anything. Not much more information was reavealed about himself either.

They are strangers and Chanyeol would like to keep it that way until Baekhyun is done with whatever it is he needs to go through to catch up on his own mission, and he'll be free again.

Running under the hot sun sounded like a good idea at first. But halfway through the journey to the Do apartment, Chanyeol realized he had made a mistake. He forgot to bring a drink with him.

Not only that, but he also completely underestimated just how truly hot it is today. He still has half the path to run in order to reach his destination, but but sweat is heavily sticking to his skin.

Wet salty drops are forming on his forehead, his arms, his front and even back. The inner cloth of the backpack carrying the papers for his not very liked classmate is already drenched as well.

He can only hope that the papers inside aren't soaking wet themselves. Not only would it be gross to give to anybody, but also because it must be disgusting to touch himself.

In case they are wet there will be nothing for him to do. Chanyeol doesn't plan to be nice today. He's learned from his previous attempt to be nice, still paying up because of it. So he definitely wouldn't bring him new ones.

It doesn't matter, Chanyeol doesn't care about it, and whoever that guy is probably doesn't have a chance to succeed in life no matter which path he chooses to study. That's one hell of an evil thought right there, but he might as well think all the mean things now instead of when faced with the guy.

The temperature is rising, and with it raises Chanyeol's vague memory about that one time about five weeks ago when the home bound classmate asked him to deliver a message to Baekhyun.

He doesn't even remember what it was about, all he knows is that he told Baekhyun and recieved an answer that left his memory. Well, that's too late for it now. And even if he remembered what it was he wouldn't have said anything.

The boy didn't ask about Baekhyun's response either. Must mean nothing to him as well. Or maybe it was because all Chanyeol did each time was give him the papers and turn around to leave right after.

There's nothing more he should do so why would he bother. He gains nothing out of this except for the possibility of Baekhyun paying him back big for the favour the next time it becomes relevant.

 


Two knocks on the door.

Chanyeol has actually been standing on top of staircase for a few moments, huffing and puffing, slowly settling back his breathing pattern in an attempt to cool down from the dreading heat of the sun.

While allowing himself to rest a little he also checked the papers inside the drenched bag. They seem pretty much dry except for a corner of one page at the bottom that has a small colorless stain on it.

After wiping his sweat away with his own bare arms and swinging his hands around to allow the drops to fall off of his skin, he knocked. His heart still a little fast in his chest, but at least he is a little dryer.

Little noises come from inside the apartment before the door opens. It's the same sort of noise every time. He doesn't know what creates it, but it doesn't matter. All it means is that the boy's approaching the door.

Seated on the same old looking wheelchair, his lower body covered in the same plaid blanket, same pair of glasses over the big eyes that look up at him.

This time the boy's eyes were filled with something that feels like a surprise and also a little bit of wonder. Something more innocent than Chanyeol thought he'd see in his eyes.

One thing is for sure. This boy seriously needs to get a haircut. It looks terrible. His hair isn't bad, but just... A mess. It's chaos on top of his head. Long hairs falling in all different directions, over his eyes and nose.

"Hello, it's you."

His classmate said after a moment of what looked like a small shock.

"Yeah."

Chanyeol announced, both with pride and frustration, because it's always nice to be aknowledged, but it's not as nice to be there against his own free will. Technically.

Without further dwelling in the growing awkwardness Chanyeol held out the papers to the guy. Today was different for some reason. Something about the way the boy is looking at him feels slightly changed.

Waiting for him to take the papers, Chanyeol raise his free hand up, pulling the cap off of his head to release his hair and allow it to breathe for two seconds before pushing it back down. His toned muscles still shimmering a little from the sweat because of the reflection of the sunlight.

He feels good. Chanyeol loves the feeling of seeing the results of working out, even if it's a pain of a process. He loves seeing that his body can stand up to his own expectations of what he finds to be attractive.

Except, this is taking a little too long, and there's a sense of confusion washing over him as to why the boy's eyes just wouldn't be put off of him even when the papers are held out right in front of his face.

Is this boy also admiring Chanyeol's marvelously sculptured body? Well, with that Chanyeol could easily cope. Getting his ego is the best sensation in the world.

Sure, while he's there his classmate is allowed to enjoy the view as much as he'd like, but Chanyeol's in a hurry because his throat is drying and he forgot his drink like a fool. So rather than stand here and give this dude a show he'd much rather run back and finish his outdoorsy adventures for the day.

To avert the boy's attention away from himself, Chanyeol shook the papers higher right in front of his line of vision, causing him to jerk a little and grab onto the stack nervously.

"Thank you."

He mumbled and looked down now, is he shy? Chanyeol's body is making him either jealous or aroused, it's so easy to tell. In all honesty, this is pretty damn adorable.

This whole smash kid is really cute if only he'd be getting a good haircut. Even with all the hair over his face Chanyeol could see that he's biting onto his own lips, unsure of where to land his eyes.

Alright, okay, this boy deserves a reward for inflating Chanyeol's confidence a little more. And he knows just what that could be.

"Baekhyun said he's doing his best. And that he's sorry that you don't get the weekly 'present' that he gives you."

Chanyeol spoke this time, not with a smile, but not with a hostile tone either. At least for today he could do his best to not be a total jerk to the apartment resident.

Plus seeing his own shiny skin reflect in the sun reminded him of Baekhyun's answer. The mysterious present being spoken about is none other than a pack of ice cream. He can't forget the answer after all.

Because Baekhyun was so enthusiastic about it. He remembers now. When he told him the boy's message Baekhyun just sparkled up like a candle and grinned. It was nice, until he began whining to Chanyeol about not being able to keep the tradition of bringing the boy ice cream with each visit.

For a couple of weeks after the message delivery Baekhyun continued pestering him, trying to convince him into buying some on his way to the Do place just to make him a little happy. 

Chanyeol doesn't care about this boy's happiness. It's none of his concerns. Why would he bother giving even more effort into something he hates doing anyway? Of course he wouldn't mention that Baekhyun called him an for the refusal of ice cream.

 


"Oh.. it's alright. Uhm... It's very hot outside. Do you want some water?"

The boy might be unable to move, but he's definitely got good observation skills. Maybe that's why he was so shocked when seeing Chanyeol standing at the door, not being able to see a bottle of water, rather than Chanyeol's dazzling appearance.

"Uhh.."

"I'll do it."

He insisted with a nod, running a few fingers through his long bangs and pulling them aside recklessly and only creating more mess out of his no-haircut.

Chanyeol now figured the source of the noise that he always hears before the door opens when he knocks. The source being the creaking sounds coming from the wheels of the wheelchair.

The boy rolled himself into the house, leaving the door open, and he could very easily hear that with every round one of the wheels is doing through the movement, there's an annoying noise of a metal creak coming out.

Wow, this wheelchair must be really old then. Not that he cares. It's not like he's just going to buy this random stranger a whole new wheelchair out of the blue. Even if he has enough funds to give him one of those every day for the rest of the year probably.

Taking the opportunity to fill up his curiousity gauge, Chanyeol peeked into the house from his position in front of the doorframe. It looked... Completely normal.

Before any further assessments could be deducted he heard the announcing creaks again, and the boy rolled back in front of him holding a glass of water carefully so it wouldn't spill from the efforts his other hand is doing to push him forward.

"Got any juice?"

Chanyeol asks instead. Ew. Who drinks water in such a hot day? Even if it'll probably be the healthier choice for him right now, since he is literally in the middle of working out, sort of. He can't just drink room temperature water.

Clearly, everyone has juice in their house during the summer. It's far more refreshing in the heat, plus the sugar is good to replenish his energy for the rest of his run back to the dorm. The fridge in his and Jongdae's room is filled with nothing other than juice ever since summer began.

It seems the question caught the water holder by surprise, before he lowered the glass down and looked at him a little puzzled for a few seconds.

"...Yeah, of course. It might be a little long to get, but please come in."

He responded calmly and carefully rolled himself backwards with another creak, away from the foorframe so that Chanyeol will have enough space to step inside without being too close to his chair.

Without much thought about the fact that it's such a heartwarming gesture to be invited inside in such a hot day, Chanyeol stepped into the apartment and looked around.

The door behind him was closed and a moment later more creaks came along as the guy made his way to what seems to be a small kitchen in the view of the apartment, sharing the same wall as the main entrance door.

Wow, this place is smaller than Chanyeol's own dorm room. There are barely any furnitures around either. Just anything basic one would need in an apartment where the kitchen shares the same space as the living room.

There aren't any decorations either except for two old looking framed pictures on the walls that seem to be original. Careless of his own sweaty body Chanyeol allows himself to fall down on the couch.

From there he has full view of the tiny kitchen space. He watches how the boy is stretching up and around the counters and drawers, like he's busy making something. 

What is he doing? Chanyeol just wanted some juice. Is that too much to ask?

It's boring, and quiet. Chanyeol already regrets entering this place. The only good thing about being inside right now is how clean everything is, and how pleasant the temperature is compared to outside.

No wonder the boy constantly has a blanket over his lower half of the body. It's really cold, but in the best way possible right now for Chanyeol's hot body. Both literally, and figuratively.

Somehow the boy is now chopping something on the kitchen counter that is only slightly taller than his very own shoulders on the chair. 

How pathetic, is he trying to impress Chanyeol or something? Because it isn't working, it's annoying. It looks almost tragic how hard the dude's working for who knows what reason.

It's nice to be inside and cool down and all, but Chanyeol's starting to get impatient. He'd rather get back, get washed and continue his yearly dummer grind with the special events in his loved games.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to just leave and get himself something cold and nice on the way back to the dorm instead? How long will it take to get his stupid juice? He didn't ask for a freaking fruit platter.

 


Right when Chanyeol reached the very limit of his patience, he heard the creaking noises of the chair rolling back towards him, and sees how the boy's struggling to push himself forward with only one arm, since the other is occupied with whatever it is he made.

"Here. It's juice."

Well, it looks delicious. That's for sure. Chanyeol took the glass from the dude, the two of them finally looking at each other from almost the same height since Chanyeol even sitting down is taller than most.

Examining the unexpected beverage in his hand, he concluded it must be some sort of strawberry shake of sorts. It's pink and there are little pieces of strawberries floating around.

Without further due, Chanyeol begins sipping. Incredible, this is better than any juice he has ever had in his life. Sweet just in the right way, and the pieces of fruit are a great addition too.

Before he could even express his opinion about it out loud the boy was already creaking his way back towards the kitchen, and began washing whatever tools he used to do whatever he did before getting the juice.

By the time he gets back to the living room, settling half in front of the couch so it'd be easier to speak, Chanyeol was nearly done with the drink.

"Why'd it take so long?"

Chanyeol asked him between the sips, completely oblivious to the fact that he saw him stretch around and chop things in the kitchen mere moments ago. His brain just didn't connect the dots it seems.

"Uhm... I didn't have juice. So I made you some, I'm sorry."

He said with a small yet very visible sad smile. Taking the papers he previously placed on top of the little living room's coffee table onto his lap in order to read through them. 

It felt like he's trying to avoid looking directly at Chanyeol. Which only confirms that Chanyeol's first intuition about being a hot attractive mess in this dude's eyes must be true.

But other than that, he... He made this drink himself? He didn't have juice? Why would he lie and say that he does then? Never mind. It doesn't matter, Chanyeol doesn't care about the reasoning.

"Wait, you made it yourself?"

He stared at his classmate with a blank sort of surprise, because he didn't expect to recieve a handmade beverage from a handicapped guy. It seems that the boy is surprised from the fact that Chanyeol himself is surprised, because his eyes also widened.

"Yes..? Didn't you see me do it a moment ago..?"

"Oh, I didn't realize."

"Ah."

And it's quiet again. And awkward again. And Chanyeol wishes he hadn't asked because now he isn't sure if he's happy about this situation at all. Of course he enjoys knowing he's attractive, but it is a little strange that this dude would do all this work for him.

Does he want anything in return? Will Chanyeol now owe him something? Why would he choose to be this nice to Chanyeol who never did anything nice to him at all? Other than... Bringing him the papers every week, maybe.

One sided awkwardness it is. Because when Chanyeol next glanced over at the boy while gulping out the very last drop of home made strawberry juice, all he did was read through the papers quietly.

Without a hustle Chanyeol stood up and headed to the door, grabbing the boy's attention after him.

"I should go. Get some juice for next time."

He looked surprised yet again, staring up at Chanyeol with his big wondering eyes beneath all the hair and the glasses, his mouth slightly agape and looking just as heart-y as every visit.

"O-..Okay."

Then Chanyeol stepped outside and hopped down the stairs with renewed energy. This drink was great. Really refreshing and delicious, his body cooled down in the few minutes he stayed inside, and now moving directly under the scorching sun was not as fun as before.

Overall, this experience gave Chanyeol conflicting feelings.

He definitely got a boost in confidence from the way the boy's cheeks flushed when he stared up at him, he also got to taste something delicious he will never get to try again. 

But he wasted more time than he planned, and he still doesn't care even a little bit about the guy himself. It's stupid. He's just a classmate on a creaky wheelchair. Chanyeol hates thinking about it.

He can't imagine a life where he's not able to do as he pleases whenever he pleases. It makes him feel sick to the stomach and angry to meddle with. Yet every week is a reminder someone is going through just that.

It doesn't matter. He hates it, and he hates this task. Even if he might hate this Do classmate a little less.

 


"Jongdae."

"Chanyeol."

His roommate replied with a voice just as stern as his own, apparently he caught him in the middle of attempting to reach one of the higher shelves in their kitchen to grab a hold of a pot they barely use.

"Am I hot? I'm hot, right?"

An eyebrow of suspicion rose on his friend's face when he turned his head to look at Chanyeol with the desired pot in his hands.

"Well, you're almost dripping sweat on our floor so I'd assume so."

Chanyeol huffed impatiently.

"Pfft. Sure, you're good lookin' man. What happened? You never doubt yourself."

"I think that classmate person that I give papers to thinks the same thing."

Jongdae stared at him blankly for a while before laughing  and turning around towards the stove. It's his turn to cook dinner for them after all.

"He really needs a haircut though."

Chanyeol mumbled to himself while stepping into the shower with all his clothes still on.

Dinner was great, he's lucky that both himself and Jongdae are pretty decent cooks. The long lasting gaming session after dinner was even greater, especially since he didn't have any time limit regarding how much noise he makes since Jongdae was spending the night at Baekhyun's dorm room.

He hated seeing a few more texts popping up on his cellphone's screen. Again he will be required to do things he doesn't care about. It's not like he minds these tasks as much as he minds Baekhyun's favour, because he gains something out of it at least.

Next week he could use the opportunity to run again. It turned out pretty well.