Chapter 13

Stairs of Dust

 


Chanyeol had already made up his mind by now.

He knows that deep down he will be truly heartbroken if Kyungsoo refuses him, declines his offers, rejects him. The fear of possibly becoming another obstacle in Kyungsoo's life is growing day by day.

There's a feeling residing in him that Chanyeol himself is the one taking advantage of Kyungsoo for his own sake. Because it just makes Chanyeol feel so damn good to be around him. To spend time with him, to care for him.

Chanyeol really doesn't know much about the whole 'caring' business, even if he's been enjoying the sensation after realizing what kind of happiness he feels in exchange of giving and doing something good, instead of doing something selfish that'll benefit him momentarily.

It's true that he's very attached to Kyungsoo now, after having been turned and changed into what he is right now in the span of a few months of apparently good influence from the boy, he's just really scared of possibly parting away from him.

His little sunshine. His small and adorable source of happiness with heart shaped lips and thick rimmed glasses and the softest hair in the world.

He's also afraid that the only reason Kyungsoo agrees to be this close to him at all is because he simply doesn't have anybody else willing to be close with him.

And when one's got nothing, any option that comes by works.

Chanyeol's been proven many times in the past month, every time they met, how wrong he is to think that Kyungsoo shares even a tiny bit of Chanyeol's own old selfish way of thinking. But he just can't help it.

The further he falls for the boy, the more stressed he gets about the fact that it might all be happening only because it's 'convenient' for Kyungsoo, and so very easy for Chanyeol to exploit.

On one hand, he misses Kyungsoo's presence every second he spends without him. On the other hand, he won't be able to continue seeing Kyungsoo and spending time with him if his feelings keep rising like this. It makes his heart ache with his selfish all needy self.

He doesn't want to impose himself onto Kyungsoo. He doesn't want to force Kyungsoo into their connection. And even though Kyungsoo always proves him that the longing feeling is mutual, Chanyeol's afraid he might be spilling over the boundaries of friendship.

He was sure he'd be able to hold back, he was sure the crush on the boy would pass, because really, how did it even come to this point. His entire life had changed and he can't even imagine slipping back into old habits.

Wouldn't Kyungsoo hate him if he allows himself to push through and expose the truth? Wouldn't he be creeped out? Feel like he's been used for Chanyeol's benefit? Wouldn't he hate Chanyeol?

Either way it's not like he can just suddenly stop his heart from feeling things towards Kyungsoo. Even though he is theoretically willing to go on like this forever as long as Kyungsoo remains happy, he knows it's an unrealistic expectation of himself.

Just like he learned from Kyungsoo, true strength is knowing when one isn't strong enough to face something. True strength is knowing when to ask for help.

In this case, the help Chanyeol needs is not exactly from anybody else, but rather from his own confidence.

 


One stair up. How will he tell him?

Five stairs up. What words would he use?

Fourteen stairs up. What if he says it wrong?

Twenty stairs up. Would he be happy?

Twenty nine stairs up. Would he be sad?

Thirty six stairs up. Would he feel the same?

Thirty seven stairs up, two knocks on the door and a smile.

Chanyeol doesn't care. Because his heart is fully occupied with the sunshine beaming at him from the wheelchair behind the apartment's door, and honestly, nothing else matters.

After the beach and the trip up the hill, Chanyeol could see little freckles have appeared on Kyungsoo's face. Which was the most adorable thing in the world. It must have been thanks to the exposure to the sun during these days. He made a mental note to remember to take Kyungsoo out more often. Or well, at least when there's a sun in the sky.

Autumn is getting closer, and together with the warmer looking yet colder feeling tone of the sky, came the orange at the tops of the trees in the town. The university's taken a whole new appearance on itself already as well. 

Chanyeol is still rooming with Jongdae. The two of them have already graduated and yet the university allows the students to remain under their roof for a whole year afterwards. Taking this to their advantage, they started looking for a proper job with their set of skills.

Jongdae has received many offers so far for his desired profession and together with Baekhyun's help he's checking all the possibilities.

Chanyeol is a little more lucky. Coming from a more stable background, to say the least, he knows a house is waiting for him alone right near his parents at the moment he finds a steady working place.

He's been looking into some professions that have something to do with development. Either medical or machinary. Chanyeol takes pride in his motor skills and would love to put it into practice somewhere that'll benefit the world.

Or well, somewhere that'll benefit the world for people like Kyungsoo, who pretty much depend on inventions and improvement of technology in order to hopefully easily merge with 'normal' society.

Earlier today he actually got a reply for one of his applications, saying they are actually looking for someone with his abilities in order to learn the job properly and sooner or later replace that company's main worker.

So his arranged plans for today came in very handy for the sake of delivering the news.

Kyungsoo was smiling up at him with ease, and without much delay already reached his arms up in order to wrap himself around Chanyeol and be taken down to the street and later into Chanyeol's father's car.

 


"So, are you nervous to meet my parents?"

Chanyeol asked, eyes on the road even though Kyungsoo sitting by his side dressed with clearly the best clothes he owns is way more distracting.

"Not really, should I be nervous?"

The boy turned to look at him a little surprised, curious eyes behind the thick rimmed glasses that honestly wouldn't match anyone in the world other than Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol laughed lightly and shook his head. There is no reason to be nervous. Chanyeol's parents already know more about Kyungsoo than he'd be able to tell them himself, probably. They know who he is, what he is to Chanyeol, and just how much he means to him too.

Kyungsoo was the reason for Chanyeol's change, and thanks to that he came back in closer contact with his parents after the three university years of selfish laziness from his side compared to their worried and caring yet slightly strict nature.

"Nope. Just making sure."

Kyungsoo doesn't even know that his new wheelchair was actually Chanyeol's graduation gift from his parents. It doesn't matter if he knows or not because Chanyeol would have done it all over again if he was given the option without regrets.

Even if it means he has no car of his own yet. Ah, really, Chanyeol's so used to his privileges that only when he's around Kyungsoo and his... Well, lack of these, he realizes just how meaningful all of these advantages are.

In the hands of his friend, rests a small box filled with Kyungsoo's mother own cooking. Sort of a small gift for Chanyeol's family for their upcoming dinner meeting. Except it's a lot earlier than dinner time.

Which must mean that Chanyeol's parents will actually still be cooking when they arrive in mere five minutes. That's fine. It's homey. Chanyeol have spent countless days in the Do apartment while cooking was taking place.

They've parked and Chanyeol as always, carefully transferred Kyungsoo back into his shiny chair before they went through the gate and walked over the pathway to the house slowly. Chanyeol with hands in his pockets, and Kyungsoo looking at the beautiful almost natural looking garden with interest.

At times like these Chanyeol was glad that there were no stairs anywhere in the house. And yes, he had already made sure with his parents that his own house would have none of these either. Actually, the house they have purchased already had no stairs to begin with, so Chanyeol was relieved.

There will be other times to meddle in his own house. For now he should focus on passing today's meeting without problems. Not that any of them are expected to happen, but since Chanyeol's heart has turned warm and soft he finds himself worrying more than he ever knew he could. About things he never knew he would.

He opened the door for them with his key and allowed Kyungsoo inside first. Locking it behind them and stretching while taking his shoes off.

"Mommm~ We're here~!"

He called out, noticing Kyungsoo was surprised from the casuality of the call before chuckling.

"Come here I'll take yours off too. No shoes in this house my friend."

Chanyeol gestured for him, and Kyungsoo quickly turned around towards leaning down Chanyeol and laughed, watching how Chanyeol's large hands carefully slid off his shoes. The noise of feet stepping on the floor started approaching them.

"Ah! Hello boys~"

"Hey mom, what's for dinner?"

His mother smiled brightly, Chanyeol knew that the crinkles around his own eyes when he smiles came from her too.

"Good question, I was just deciding with your father."

She looked back at him with a bit of a spark before turning to look at Kyungsoo who sat timidly in his chair, hands tugging lightly to the fabric of his pants. There is no need to hide them under any blankets at this point.

"Mom, this is Kyungsoo."

"Aahhh, THE Kyungsoo!"

His mother clapped her hands into a grip together with warmth, trailing her eyes over Kyungsoo's chair. Chanyeol saw the little jump in her body at the moment she realized he is using the chair Chanyeol requested as a graduation gift.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you."

He responded shyly, bowing his head and shaking her hand with a small soft smile. Very Kyungsoo-like to be this gentle around friendly people.

"Say, Kyungsoo, I've heard that you are a very good cook. What'd you say about helping us out in the kitchen?"

"Mom-- Really?"

Chanyeol asked with slight disbelief before sighing when he noticed Kyungsoo's eyes sparking up from the interest in the offer. How is he supposed to protest? Kyungsoo clearly would enjoy doing it.

Even though Chanyeol had slightly different plans to take care of before dinner took place, he's not going to be a selfish prick and deprive Kyungsoo, and his mother, apparently, from doing something they'd most likely enjoy doing together.

Plus, it's never bad to have his precious friend get buddy-buddy with his mother. Just like Chanyeol has become Kyungsoo's mother good pal. It's only natural for the same process to happen in his house as well.

 


So they've all moved to the kitchen. Kyungsoo and Chanyeol's mother already blabbering about different dishes and meals that the elder couple had thought of as options for their feast in the evening.

Taking a seat down on one of the kitchen island's bar stools, Chanyeol rested his elbow on the surface of the counter, and his head on top of his palm. Watching how His mother and Kyungsoo are already chuckling while cutting some ingredients together.

"Hey."

His father greeted him with a small smile and took a seat beside him. Chanyeol didn't even bother removing his eyes from Kyungsoo, just hummed with a small smile as a greeting in return.

"So that's the reason you asked for a wheelchair as a gift?"

"Yup."

The man then turned to look at the two cooks in the kitchen and smiles himself, a sight Chanyeol was not expecting to see.

"It's the kid you got into the fight for."

"Yup."

His father's smile only grew until he turned into a low and pleasant chuckle. He rubbed Chanyeol's back in a rough loving way over the counter before nodding at him with something Chanyeol wasn't sure, but looked like pride.

"Good."

Did... His father just approve of Kyungsoo? This easily? So fast? He was sure it'd take at least an entire long dinner conversation for his father to actually agree to smile at all, let alone be this glad that Chanyeol got into a fight.

Chanyeol just laughed, watching how his father approached the kitchen himself, gently tapping Kyungsoo's shoulder and introducing himself with an aura so warm Chanyeol could feel it all the way behind the counter.

What is it about Kyungsoo that melts everybody's hearts around him? It's crazy. Maybe Chanyeol's a victim of some witchcraft. A magical spell cast upon the boy to be the loveliest man alive.

Kyungsoo looks comfortable. Using kitchen tools that he probably never had the chance to try or even knew existed at all while being stuck at home. Chanyeol's mother taught him how to roll out some dough, and in return he showed her a trick about cutting onions twice as fast.

At some point, while Chanyeol was daydreaming about a future where Kyungsoo will be able to roam freely in a house big enough and proper enough to satisfy all of his wishes and desires, he noticed Kyungsoo slowly rolling over towards him.

"Hm?"

"Try this."

Without allowing him a chance to protest, Kyungsoo raises his hand up and shoved a spoonful of sauce into his mouth, making Chanyeol blink in surprise for a few moments before wrapping his lips around the spoon and allowing Kyungsoo to pull back.

"Is it good?"

He allowed the sauce to reach every curve of his mouth before swallowing and over his lips with a grin and giving Kyungsoo a thumb up, exposing his toothy smile.

"It's great!"

But Kyungsoo suddenly covered his own mouth with his palm and began giggling, pointing towards his own teeth after as if to sign something to Chanyeol, who quickly understood the gesture and began laughing himself.

Great. He had a piece of spice stuck in his teeth while smiling widely at Kyungsoo. How ridiculous. Well, who cares. It was delicious, it was worth it, Kyungsoo laughed and he laughed and his teeth were already clean again by the time Kyungsoo rolled back to the cooking pots.

 


Eventually they all sat down to eat happily. The atmosphere was pleasant, warm and welcoming. Chanyeol spoke about the times he used to bring papers to Kyungsoo, how confused he was from the entire situation and how much he regrets doing some of the things he did.

Kyungsoo interrupted him in the middle, surprising everyone at the table as he explained how different the situation was from his point of view.

How grateful he was that even though he knew the task was hard for Chanyeol to do, he still came every week with the papers to deliver them. How happy he was when Chanyeol brought him ice cream. How much it meant to him when Chanyeol came back and continued visiting him even without needing to deliver any papers at all.

Chanyeol could feel the heat reach his cheeks and ears, switching between staring at Kyungsoo's confidence and staring at his own surprised parents from hearing every event in more details. They looked overjoyed by the time Kyungsoo finished talking. Giving Chanyeol looks of satisfaction and delight.

In return for Kyungsoo's exposure about Chanyeol, including their adventures to the hair salon, the beach and the forest coated hill, Chanyeol's mother began telling tales about Chanyeol's past as a child. 

If he wasn't sure whether theres a blush on his cheeks and ears before, now he knew it was definitely present. So embarrassing. He tried everything to make her stop, changing to subject, making other jokes, trying to talk himself, but it didn't stop her passionate exchange with curious and giggly Kyungsoo.

God. Classic parents.

Something in Chanyeol was actually kind of glad about this whole situation taking place, because from the fondness in his mother's words, and in Kyungsoo's eyes as he listened, he almost felt like things fit in a little too well.

Wouldn't it be the best thing in the world if such nice evenings could happen more frequently? If Chanyeol accepts the job and moves to his assigned house he could bring Kyungsoo over very often to spend time with the family.

Maybe it isn't too bad that Kyungsoo knows all these embarrassing old stories. Because Chanyeol really loves his laughter. And the sparkle in his eyes when he smiles at something he adores.

Knowing that Kyungsoo as fast as one meeting had already developed a connection with his family is pretty reassuring.

Thinking that actually brought back the memory of the news he'd planned on sharing over the table.

So once his mother was done embarrassing for the rest of his life with Kyungsoo in it, he finally brought the subject up and announced the job offer he had received. Earning a round of applause from all three of the other table fellows.

"Nothing is certain yet, they invited me for an interview next week. But they did say they were looking for someone like me... So I guess it's good."

He explained, feeling like he had already accomplished something just from knowing that there is a field he could actually be useful and needed in. Especially if it's a field he's genuinely interested in.

"Well, you should keep us updated. It'll be a shame to start a new job without a place to come back to."

His father replied with a sneaky smile, knowing that Chanyeol knows what he's talking about. Of course he does. Chanyeol is pretty eager to move into the new house already. 

Along with the emotional growth process he's been through ever since he met Kyungsoo, moving into a place of a his own would help him become even more mature and independent. Help him advance as an actual adult.

 


After the wonderful dinner where Chanyeol's parents refused to allow the two of them to help out with the cleaning, they've moved over to Chanyeol's room. But the corridor was a little narrow by the end.

The door frame is a little too small for the wheelchair to be pushed through, so instead of struggling, Chanyeol put the chair aside and picked Kyungsoo in his arms, placing him down onto the bed to sit comfortable against the wall.

"Whoa, are these pictures of yourself?"

He asked wide eyed while looking around above the desk where there are plenty of old pictures of Chanyeol from various ages. Chanyeol just nodded with a smile and took a few of them off the wall, bringing them to Kyungsoo for a closer look.

"Yup. In full glory."

The boy laughed and examined the pictures fondly, trailing his fingers on the edges of the frame with delicacy and caution so there wouldn't be a chance it'd get destroyed in his hands.

"You grew up into your ears, huh? That's so cute."

He chuckled again before smiling up at Chanyeol and reaching out to gently his ear. It sent gentle tingles down Chanyeol's spine, but he smiled, hoping that his heart isn't beating fast enough to redden his cheeks yet.

Kyungsoo's so fragile even sitting on Chanyeol own old bed like this. Relaxed, calm. He'd really be completely fine with keeping this going forever. How the tables have turned, from Chanyeol wanting to avoid him at all costs to Chanyeol wanting to hold him as close as humanly possible.

He'll have to keep his desires under restraints. Chanyeol's not going to fall back into the selfish self centered behaviour of the past again.

Bringing him out of his thoughts, Kyungsoo handed him the pictures again to hang back on the wall. And Chanyeol got back up in order to place them correctly above the desk, staring at one of his own older pictures.

 


"Chanyeol."

"Hmm?"

He hummed back, still focused on a picture of his father and him sitting on the beach when he was probably around four years old.

"I like you."

Kyungsoo said, and it took Chanyeol a few seconds to register what had just been said.

"Uh.. What?"

He slowly turned his head, locking his eyes with Kyungsoo who has been looking directly back at him with flushed cheeks yet a serious expression. Did he hear correctly? There's no way.

"I like you, Chanyeol. I mean... I LIKE like you."

Kyungsoo gave a slightly more thorough explanation. Well, not really, but it was enough for Chanyeol to understand that he had actually heard correctly on the first time too. Is this... Really happening?

His bodily reaction was an immediate increase in the heartrate, he feels the thumps hitting against his eardrums from the inside from just how strong and fast his pulse became. This is everything Chanyeol had ever wanted to hear for the past month, and he feels like his knees are going to fall weak soon.

And yet his mind cannot really allow him to celebrate this confession right away. There has to be something, it can't just be this easy. Chanyeol is used to having all of his wishes granted, and now when the option is right there in front of him to make the most important one come true, he feels hesitant.

Kyungsoo is so gentle and precious, Kyungsoo's heart is kind and pure, and Chanyeol... He's come from the lowest low, still struggling with his own growth and the nagging feeling of self benefit thinking process that his brain goes through instead of the natural caring progress.

Kyungsoo is strong, and he is weak and scared from what he has been himself.

Their friendship has been growing steadily and becoming very healthy and true, and yet, after knowing what Chanyeol has done to Kyungsoo in the past, he can't help but be afraid that Kyungsoo's feelings have been deceived.

Just because Chanyeol is the ONLY option for him. Just because Chanyeol is the only one who actually took it upon himself to stick with Kyungsoo and become as close to him as can be. Just because Kyungsoo doesn't have anybody else who'd keep in contact with him.

He is happy. Truly, to hear Kyungsoo say such words to him. It's been a hidden subtle fantasy of his for a while, and yet... Now that the moment is here, all he feels is guilt washing over him from the inside.

Maybe he's being stupid, and he should one last time stick to his own selfish mind and accept it, take it all and be happy with yet another wish coming true. He hasn't become selfless enough to pass such an opportunity... Or has he?

"Kyungsoo--... I..."

His voice wavers in his throat, and even though Kyungsoo's expression had shifted ever so lightly with a hint of hurt, Chanyeol simply doesn't want to take advantage of Kyungsoo like this... He has been just doing everything for himself. But not this time.

Kyungsoo's been through enough, he doesn't deserve to be fooled into something like this.

"I can't... Kyungsoo. I'm sorry."

Chanyeol turned his head back to the pictures but he doesn't look at any of them, his eyes are shaking from the conflict going on inside him, between his feelings and what he thinks are Kyungsoo's feelings.

"It's just a trick of the heart. You don't mean it. Just because I was the only one there with you it doesn't mean I deserve your love, Kyungsoo."

Silence. Chanyeol's heart is aching with every beat.

"I am sorry. You should be seeing more people, know the world... Find someone good for you."

His voice is airy, as if his throat is trying to block it from leaving his mouth because he's just too afraid he's going to lose this precious friend and see him roll out of his life.

 


"Chanyeol. Ever since high school, everyone thought they knew what is good for me."

Kyungsoo begins talking, his voice firm yet soft, and Chanyeol steps closer to the bed to sit next to his friend without making eye contact.

"What is good for me to eat, to wear, to see... Everyone always pitied me, thinking I'm weak and stupid and that I can't do anything on my own. They always wanted to 'help' me because I was something less than them. Worse than them."

Voice still stable, and yet Chanyeol can sense an underlying layer of pent up anger releasing as Kyungsoo says these words.

"But not you. You came and you wanted... Juice. Freaking juice. And I was so damn happy that I could show off my skill and make this tall hot dude my strawberry juice in such a hot day."

Kyungsoo chuckled emotionally, and Chanyeol couldn't help but allow his lips to curve into a smile, not only from the meaning of the words, but also from the subtle confirmation that Kyungsoo indeed found him hot back then.

"It was the best. And then you came and you just, agreed to eat with me. And I could cook for someone who isn't myself and it was so much fun... And you even liked it."

He goes on, and Chanyeol's heart is slowly softening in his chest.

"Chanyeol, I'm sorry, I only now realized that I like you... Even though you've made me so happy for so long. I thought I'd be an and bring you down by allowing myself to feel... Anything for you."

Chanyeol's head now slowly turns to Kyungsoo in surprise. What the hell? Kyungsoo thought he would be an ? That doesn't make any sense. Kyungsoo is the the exact opposite definition of anything even remotely negative.

Was he so selfless that he thought just because of his inevitable condition he wasn't allowed to love...? What kind of messed up is that?

Kyungsoo's about to open his mouth to speak again, but Chanyeol's body is burning with confusion and stressed mixture of anger and love and confusion and fear and he breaks through.

"Kyungsoo, what the . I was the , not you. Don't pretend that I didn't look at your chair in disgust. Or that time I ate your ice cream, and asked you to go and buy because I wanted it myself... All I did was hurt you, and use you. I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for that cursed phonecall I made..."

The boy turns to look back at him, still flushed, still just as determined though.

"Yeah, you were. But you're not anymore. I was upset-- Really upset. I almost wanted to tell you to leave sometimes... But you've changed. Everybody deserves a second chance. Who like me knows that. You're not THAT person Chanyeol."

Chanyeol feels these words are almost like that last piece of puzzle being put into place. The satisfaction when one completes something that has taken them time and effort to create, and now finally they've been given the very last bit to affirm their work wasn't for nothing.

Kyungsoo said he isn't an anymore.

Kyungsoo said he likes him. LIKE likes him.

Their eyes are locked deep in a gaze, and maybe Chanyeol can be a little selfish one last time. Just this time, it'll be enough. He wouldn't need anything else.

"I uh... You probably thought that I was alone but.. Actually..."

Kyungsoo began again, averting his eyes sideways and breaking their intense silent exchange of unspoken feelings. He rubbed his cheeks with his fingers lightly, smiling a bit awkwardly.

"Ever since we met, I was asked out three times. To date, I mean... But I turned them down."

This is a total shocker. 

What? Kyungsoo has been asked out by three different people? All while Chanyeol was already in some sort of connection with him? What the . How?

It's true that after their second meeting where Chanyeol actually looked at him properly he already put the boy in the 'Smash' category. He's good looking. He's sweet and and soft and attractive. He just never guessed enough people would have fallen for the same thing.

Speechless, Chanyeol stared at Kyungsoo, who just laughed lightly at the face he was probably making, and raised his hand to count on his fingers while he went on.

"The first one was another friend of Baekhyun. He was really nice, but barely knew any korean. In the end he said he will be going back to china and I haven't seen him again."

Wow. Alright, not only is he attractive to pull Chanyeol in, but other guys too? Guys who aren't even korean? What kind of force is hidden in this small boy.

"The second one was a girl. I think she wasn't a student, she looked a little older. She kept bringing me all these weird alcohol filled chocolate things.. You know. My parents loved those haha."

What on earth... Chanyeol is having a very hard time comprehanding this.

"The third was a guy who said he was your friend too. I was a little surprised. He looked really strong and a little scary but he kept showing me pictures of animals on his phone. He made me a little uncomfortable... I think his name was Chris, or something."

"Chris?! Chris Lee?! He asked you out?!"

Chanyeol burst in shock, asking a little too loud and making Kyungsoo jump in surprise as well before silently apologizing and rubbing his head. 

Well, that actually makes a lot of sense now. Why else would Chris have such a weird reaction to Chanyeol interacting with anybody. It was because he was a jealous freak... Ugh. Such a stupid guy. Chanyeol's very glad Chris is out of their lives.

If he made Kyungsoo feel uncomfortable that's even more reason for Chanyeol to not feel even a drop of remorse about the actions he's taken against him.

 


"Anyway Chanyeol. I just... I like you. It's okay if you don't like me back. I remember how you felt months ago. I'll be okay. I just wanted you to know."

Chanyeol isn't nervous anymore. There's no stress clogging his throat and ears and heart. Instead he gently rests his palm on the upper half of Kyungsoo's thigh, making the two of them look at each other again with an easy smile.

"I like that you like me."

"O-Ohh... That's uh-- Good..?"

Kyungsoo looks at him a little puzzled, and Chanyeol just laughs warmly before leaning closer and over his thigh with reassurance, both for Kyungsoo and for himself. That this is really their truth.

"Because I like you too. I like you a lot. In fact, I think I love you."

Chanyeol's words rolled out with ease and relaxation. There was no need to filter himself out or worry anymore. Now that he knows that the barriers that were between them are finally fully gone and his feelings wouldn't become a burden or a bother.

"Y--.. You do..?"

Kyungsoo's voice shook a little and Chanyeol laughed at how adorable his shy expression looks from this up close.

"Kyungsoo, can you feel it when I touch here?"

He asked gently, voice warm and welcoming, while squeezing lightly a little higher on Kyungsoo's thigh where his hand rests now after they spoke.

He could see and even feel Kyungsoo's body jolting lightly from the touch.

"Yes, but not further down."

Kyungsoo answered, still slightly confused, while Chanyeol started his hand lower and lower over his leg, Kyungsoo watched the hand trail on top of it. He shook his head now, signing the he feels nothing, before turning to look at Chanyeol again.

"What are you doing..?"

His friend's voice was soft. Chanyeol's hand then back up on Kyungsoo's thigh and cupped above it, his thumb pressing against the inner side of it, he watched Kyungsoo jerk again while his cheeks flushed deeply. Deeper than before.

"Kyungsoo, can I kiss you?"

The boy stared at him stunned, lips quivering without a sound for a little while before turning into a wide smile with his lips shut tight. Instead, his eyes turned into beautiful shiny crescents as he nodded.

Without hesitation Chanyeol leaned in, pressing himself on Kyungsoo's soft pink heart shaped lips that he had dreamed of tasting for who knows how long. He was in heaven. The sweet sensation was far better than he had imagined.

He could feel Kyungsoo's fingers threading through his hair and also resting over his neck. The boy's thumb was rubbing over his jaw line in slow motions.

It was a slow kiss, but it was filled with warmth and affection. It was a confession they didn't need to use any words for.

Once they parted Kyungsoo's head was buried into the nook of his neck and shoulder right away, and Chanyeol didn't even try to prevent himself from laughing in happiness while wrapping Kyungsoo's entire body between his arms.

"We'll have a bright future together. I know we will."

Chanyeol whispered gently to the side of Kyungsoo's ear and nuzzled his mouth and nose into the boy's neck, closing his eyes and breathing him into his lungs. Kyungsoo is his air. Kyungsoo is his healing magic.

 


"Kyungsoo, will you be my boyfriend?"

Chanyeol finally asked a few days later. The two of them back in Chanyeol's family house after being invited for another dinner, just cuddled together on his old bed in comfortable silence.

"Shouldn't you take me out on a date first?"

He was definitely not expecting to hear this answer from the mouth buried into the fabrics of his clothes. Bursting into laughter, he just squeezed Kyungsoo tighter against his body, causing the other to chuckle as well.

"Okay, alright."

He finally spoke after calming down.

"How about a haircut? Been a while."

 


Thirty seven steps up, and then thirty seven steps down.

Chanyeol doesn't even count anymore. Not the stairs, but the amount of times he climbed them. It's been years.

And he would do it all over again from the very start if he had to.

In his dreams he is still a bird flying high above the earth, free to roam around wherever he pleases. But now there is another bird flying in the sky with him, experiencing the freedom the world has to offer.

It is so much more fun to fly together.

To fly together, to live together, to sleep together, to laugh and cry together.

Chanyeol's heart has grown twice its size ever since he convinced Kyungsoo's parents, very easily, that he will be taking good care of their son. Kyungsoo moved in with him into the new house, very quickly learning how to use some important programs on a machine he never got to use before, a computer.

And while Chanyeol's job has been going as well as it should, Kyungsoo began working from home. Helping children who much like him, are stuck at home, study. It always warms Chanyeol's heart to get back home and find Kyungsoo smiling and talking in front of his webcam with a child that seems to adore him.

They go out together three times a week, once to the park where Chanyeol goes for a run and Kyungsoo stays in their usual spot to read. Once to a cafe or restaurant of their choice, and once for a long walk anywhere Kyungsoo tells Chanyeol to stop the car when they drive around.

Kyungsoo is no longer ashamed, not scared or worried to enjoy himself wherever he goes. Even on his own, and Chanyeol couldn't have been more proud, more in love.

Together they completed each other in ways neither of them knew they could. Kyungsoo is the one to set them on the right path, and Chanyeol is the one to walk them on that path. Their hearts beating together as one in this journey.

Sometimes, it only takes a smile to change the world.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, it's me again, Jul!

I want to thank you guys so much for the love and support this story received over it's release. It means so much to me, beyond the personal level, to know that people were this enthusiastic and dedicated to a story that speaks about such a delicate subject.
Paraplegic people really have to go through such realities more often than not. This story hit pretty close to home because I am personally in contact with a handicapped old lady who is the nicest person in the world. Sadly, just like Kyungsoo in the story, she lives in an apartment high above the ground with stairs separating her from the world.
This reality is something that exists, and I wish us as people would make the world an easier place for everyone to live in.
Take care of yourselves and everyone around you! ♡

Thank you again for the amazing response, I love you! ♡
Come and talk to me here!