Chapter 4

Stairs of Dust

 


It has been two weeks. Two weeks and the boy still doesn't have any damn juice in his house? What's his problem? Does he not want Chanyeol to come in ever again or something like that?

Totally not because he is physically unable to just go out and buy any juice for himself. It can't be from that reason. Chanyeol still hasn't quite registered yet what it means to not be able to make decisions in one's own life.

He would have gotten inside and drank some juice with him, really, any juice. Chanyeol's open for anything. But for some reason this kid would prefer to make him more home-made juice each time? It's ridiculous. It takes too long and makes Chanyeol feel like an for even asking because of the amount of effort being channelled into the action.

The weather's terrible now. The peak of the summer is truly a pain to stand up against. Let alone to walk all the way over to the Do house against. He hates this. The most troublesome task in the world.

How lucky is Baekhyun for having an excuse not to do it, and how unlucky is he, for being the one subjected into the torture instead.

When it's this hot outside and the sun is terrorizing whatever's still alive under its rays, Chanyeol can't even run and workout while completing the task anymore. So it feels even more like an annoying burden.

At this point he gains absolutely nothing out of this ordeal and after so many weeks of unfulfilling visits he's starting to get impatient. It's pointless, it's tiring, it's not worth it. The boy should find a better way to get the lecture notes.

How about a computer? Huh? Can't the professor just send it to him there? Actually, maybe this option doesn't exist because he doesn't have a computer...? If to judge by the place he lives and the condition of his wheelchair that possibility is definitely plausible.

Ugh, why does he even care? He should just stop falling into this hole of self pity and finish up the task until Baekhyun will take over him again. Woman up, Chanyeol.

And anyway, why does he even count how many weeks they've known each other? It's stupid. His subconscious just can't help it. Who knows, maybe it'll come in handy when Baekhyun will owe him something in return for this giant favour.

"Say, have you gotten ice cream for the boy yet?"

Speaking of the devil, there it speaks.

"No, why would I. He's not my friend. I don't even get you ice cream."

Chanyeol replied coldly, stabbing sharp eyes at Baekhyun's direction. The two of them are sitting in the living room of Jongdae and his' dorm in front of the television.

"Well, that's true, but I feel bad for not being able to do it myself. Boy just likes ice cream. Why not make him happy?"

Baekhyun sighed, diving deeper against the soft cushions of the couch behind him and crossing one leg above the other as if he's trying to look judgemental.

"Since when is his happiness my concern? He can stay sad and stuck in that ty house of his till he dies for all I care."

Chanyeol really needs to learn how to filter his words properly. Or maybe filter his entire damn mind if he's at it. What the hell is he saying? Even for his selfish this is too much of a claim to mouth out loud.

He can feel Baekhyun's eyes bore holes at the side of his skull after this awful statement, and honestly, he doesn't blame him this time. Because the kid did nothing but make him delicious strawberry juice, and he doesn't deserve such slander.

With a sigh and a rub of his eyes Chanyeol grunts and stands up. If Baekhyun has enough time to sit here and make Chanyeol blurt things he regrets, why wouldn't he just go deliver the papers himself right now?

"'Kay. Got it. I know, I'm an . This is all your fault to begin with. I hate dealing with like this."

He protested, an attempt to slide under Baekhyun's almost parental glare that conveys the seriousness of his scolding atmosphere. To no avail though. Because Baekhyun is just not as much of a jerk as he is.

Ever since this whole ordeal of delivery began it feels like all they do is fight. Because Baekhyun just has to be so rightous and Chanyeol... isn't. He doesn't care.

"Alright Baekhyun, you ready?"

Luckily another voice finally came out from Jongdae's bedroom as the door opened. The two turned to look at him while he was busy rubbing fingers through his hair in an attempt to brush it back.

"What? Were you two fighting again?"

He blinked at them while grabbing his car keys from the little hanger above the cabinet by the entrance door of their dorm.

Baekhyun was quicker to respond than Chanyeol, and with a cheerful hop into a standing position he grinned forcibly and smacked Chanyeol's back harshly while shouting out a fake sort of laughter.

"Nope! No fights here! I was just telling Chanyeol how happy I am that he decided to buy ice cream for our classmate!!"

A wince from the smack turned into a sharp and hostile glare downwards at Baekhyun. Biting onto his own tongue Chanyeol gritted his teeth a little and had to shut his eyes and inhale for a little bit in order to not burst.

"Alright, good. Let's go, don't wanna be late now do we."

Jongdae grinned at them, his lovable pleased smile that makes his eyes turn into thin lines and his eyebrows raise even higher. 

Chanyeol loves it when Jongdae smiles because he looks like a kitten. The dynamics of their friendship is so crazy sometimes he wonders how it even works at all.

Baekhyun being the justice warrior, willing to fight for everybody's sake but himself, and somehow still mischivieous. 
Jongdae being an actual angel. Literally nothing bad can be said about him. 
And Chanyeol being the exact opposite of Jongdae. The bad jerk that does whatever he wants without giving a about anyone else.

The bad jerk that does a few possibly illegal things here and there with another student. He can't be judged though, it's easy and it's not like he does anything bad himself. He only provides a little bit of a fund to the student, who gives it back to him later fully. No harm done on his part.

With a sigh and for a change, his wallet in his pocket, Chanyeol followed after his pair of friends out to the hallways, out to the garden, and then out of the university ground. He waved them goodbye when Jongdae drove off, giving Baekhyun a ride to the hospital.

And Chanyeol stood there again. Under the sun. Papers in his bag and frustration in his heart. Along with frustration though was a pretty solid crave for ice cream. He's only got Baekhyun to blame.

 


Out in the sun he stands. On the little gap of cement between the thirty seventh' stair and the Do household's door. The backpack a little heavy and a pleasantly cold against his back through the fabrics.

He knocked twice, and as always, the creaking approached and the door opened. In front of him was his classmate. The absent one who really desperately needs a haircut and it starts bothering Chanyeol for a reason he cannot quite understand.

"Got juice this time?"

Chanyeol asked right away, the papers in his hand resting on top of his own shoulders since he raised his entire arm up to get into a cool pose. He knows the boy likes it so he might as well soak in a few more admiring looks while he's at it.

"Sorry... No."

He looked pretty miserable admitting this fact. Maybe Chanyeol wasn't the only one suffering from his inability to purchase anything on his own. Not that it matters, not that Chanyeol should even be aware of it at all.

Almost in a scolding way Chanyeol clicked his tongue a few times, before handing the dude his papers. Watching how he sort of struggles to keep his expression emotionaless even with the obvious disappointment.

"It's okay. I brought this with me."

Chanyeol finally spoke, breaking his classmate's streak of sadness into curiousity while he pulled the backpack off of his shoulders, ped the front, and pulled out a whole pack of ice cream, waving it lightly.

This... This was actually adorable. He could not only see but also feel the change his classmate was going through.

His big eyes usually filled with wonder were now sparkling brightly, pure excitement and happiness gushing out of the lights shining from them through the glasses.

His lips... His beautiful pink lips slowly stretched upwards and opened, turning from a pout into an actual heart. A dazzling smile in a shape Chanyeol has yet seen anyone embody so perfectly.

The bigger the smile grew the smaller his eyes squinted until they became two crescents of bliss under the drabble of hair and glasses. This... Was adorable.

"W-Whoa... I haven't had ice cream in months."

Chanyeol was almost at a loss of words for a while there, the heat of happiness this boy in front of him was radiating just from the sight of ice cream was so pure that for a second he thought his own sinful self shouldn't even be exposed to it.

What kind of life does he have that ty ice cream can make him beam this brightly?

Stop, it doesn't matter. Chanyeol doesn't care. He doesn't.

Without a hint of hesitation his classmate rolled the creaking wheelchair backwards, allowing him entrance to the apartment that looks exactly the same as last week, the week before, and every single week he has come to deliver the papers.

Chanyeol stepped in, closed the door after himself and sat down in the same spot he previously occupied on the couch while visiting. With his eyes he followed after the boy's stretches around the small kitchen in order to bring them eating utensils.

When he finally rolled over to the living room and placed the pair of bowls and spoons on the coffee table he settled his chair closer to Chanyeol's spot than he did the last time he came to visit.

"Thank you for this.. I can't really get it on my own."

"Clearly."

Chanyeol replied a little too fast and a little too cold, staring down at the worn out looking chair his classmate's technically glued onto. It seems the other didn't really mind. He noticed his chair was being examined, and just gave it a glance by himself.

With a lot of effort, yet trying to appear effortlessly, the boy stretched forward and began digging into the ice cream pack with a spoon in order to give each of them a generous portion to enjoy.

 


Staring blankly at the ice cream Chanyeol suddenly remembered something he had forgotten to do a lot time ago. Well, not really forgotten, he just didn't care enough about it to bother.

"Say, what's your name even?"

Right. They don't even know each other's names. Chanyeol knows that this dude knows Baekhyun by his name, and it's probably the other way around too, but they never really got to that stage.

"Kyungsoo. Do Kyungsoo. I'm sorry, I completely forgot to introduce myself all this time."

He replied, a little surprised by the sudden realization that after who knows how many weeks they've met each other weekly they only now learn the names behind the faces, and bodies.

Kyungsoo then pulled his ice cream bowl back onto his own blanket covered lap. He loaded a small portion onto it even though they have the whole pack, and took a spoonfull into his mouth. Why did Chanyeol watch him do it? He doesn't know either.

But he did, and now he got to see Kyungsoo's eyes shine again, and his lips curve up just enough for a small subtle smile to form and make it harder to look away.

"Well I didn't either, so I guess we're even. I'm Chanyeol."

Chanyeol shrugged, scolding himself internally for whatever it is that his body is making him see without his premission. The way he savours the little cold bite in his mouth was so cute.

Unlike Kyungsoo, he loaded almost a third of the entire container into his bowl and shoved the spoon carelessly into his mouth, chewing on the cold sweetness until it melted enough for him to swallow without freezing his brain.

"Are we in the same class then?"

Kyungsoo suddenly asked, looking at Chanyeol's direction with another of those big-eyes-full-of-wonder expressions of his that make Chanyeol feel like he is at least seven times more attractive than he realistically is.

"Yeah. We are. You never come."

What a cold answer. If his brain didn't freeze from the ice cream then his heart will freeze from the amount of nonchalance lying under the slightly judgemental tone he gave the boy.

"Sadly. I wish I could. It's too much trouble for my parents to--"

"Hey, leave it. Just thinking about... This, makes me feel stressed."

Chanyeol stopped him before the words would form a sentence he might have had an emotional reaction to. Technically, there is no reason for him to be such an about the subject. 

He can't help it. It's the truth. Thinking about living a life that is chained by such a large and impossible restriction to break through puts pressure on Chanyeol's free, roaming soul and nature.

To add fuel to the fire, since this is what Chanyeol specializes at, he gave Kyungsoo's chair such a disgusting uncomfortable glance that the boy wasn't able to ignore. He quietly stared down at his own chair once again, at the creaking slightly bended wheels, and nodded, silencing himself with another spoon of ice cream.

Way to go Chanyeol. Everything was fine and dandy until he just had to bring this up. Why would he do that? Chanyeol hates this. Even sitting this close to the wheelchair makes him feel slightly uncomfortable.

He's such a pissy baby. But really, he doesn't care. So what if he might hurt Kyungsoo's feelings? It's not like anything can be done about it.

Now it's just quiet again. And he feels awkward for being the one who caused it. Normally he's the master of keeping up conversations in public, painting himself the image of nothing lower than perfection.

"Listen, I don't really wanna know how you do anything. I can't even imagine it. I love moving. It that you can't."

Chanyeol sighed out with frustration. Why does he even feel the need to explain himself? He doesn't owe this kid any explanation for what he says. He doesn't understand himself why it bothers him so much to see the light die down in his eyes.

"I can move everything except my legs."

Yeah, well, that makes sense. Chanyeol kind of assumed it. He hummed in return.

Very glad that Kyungsoo doesn't continue explaining any more about the subject than that, because he seriously doesn't care enough to push himself through to knowing. He just doesn't want to know at all.

 


They passed some time watching the television quietly together. The leftover ice cream long gone into the freezer with a few more creaks of Kyungsoo's chair. They didn't speak. It was somewhat... Alright.

"Chanyeol, I was actually planning to make some lunch. Should I make it double?"

Oh. Kyungsoo's voice saying his name made their, well, sort of connection feel a lot more real all of a sudden. Did he make the right choice upgrading that level of interaction with him? What would he do with a handicapped guy in his life?

"Oh wow, really? Sure."

He was surprised, because even though he'd expect a person in his situation to be doing absolutely nothing other than pity themselves and stay motionless their entire lives until they die, Kyungsoo is different.

Why is this man who is clearly in much worse state than him being so kind to him? What will he be gaining out of this? Is Chanyeol missing something? Is he begin lead into a trap?

Either way, he definitely is hungry at this time of the day, so he might as well take advantage of the offer given to him.

So Chanyeol remains sitting in front of the television while Kyungsoo rolls over to the kitchen and begins cooking. Chanyeol can't really see from his angle what it is exactly that his host is making, but it's such an odd sight to see him working in front of a cabinet not much shorter than his own seated height.

So distracting. The way a man like this cook is so much different than normal people. Even though he doesn't really care, he keeps glancing at the boy's direction. It's such a sight. How he struggles to stretch out and reach different things around.

There is something in Chanyeol that wants to offer help, but he doesn't. Because this is none of his business. He's the guest and therefore the host should be taking care of everything for his sake. That's how it works.

And anyway, since when does he wants to help anybody in anything ever? He doesn't even help Baekhyun reach the higher shelves in their dorm room when he comes to visit them just to snack on their stash.

It took a while. A while in which Chanyeol was trying to watch the television, but his interest kept pulling his eyes towards the cook in the kitchen who works so meticulously even with his condition.

A plate mounted with a simple yet tasty looking noodles meal with vegetables is laid down in front of him on the coffee table. He doesn't wait for permission and digs right in.

It's delicious, and Chanyeol finishes it so quickly that he feels like he hasn't even eaten at all. To pay back for the lack of substance in his stomach since the food didn't yet settle down, he starts eyeing Kyungsoo's plate.

A pretty obvious hint that Kyungsoo understands fairly quickly and finishes his bite in order to talk, but Chanyeol was earlier and spoke before he could even open his mouth.

"Can I have more?"

"Oh, of course. I hope you don't mind it's been in my plate."

"Nah."

Chanyeol then watches how Kyungsoo pours two thirds of his own portion of a meal into Chanyeol's own empty plate. Easily he consumed the rest of what he had recieved, and finally felt full and content from the food.

Even though his classmate was still eating the tiny portion left in his own plate, slowly and carefully, Chanyeol got bored. The show he actually cared about on TV is over and watching another person eat is really not his thing.

So he just stood up and began stretching and grunting, preparing himself to leave. His host will take care of the bowls, spoons, forks and plates. That's what hosts do. They serve the guests and then clean everything up on their own. So it shouldn't be Chanyeol's problem now.

"I think I'll go now. Thanks for the meal, t'was really good."

He said, nodding towards Kyungsoo with a sense of distance but respect. Chanyeol is an , but he knows he should appreciate it when the food is good. Being quite a picky eater, if something fits his taste it's really a reason to celebrate.

"Oh, thank you Chanyeol. For the papers, and the compliment."

Wow. Another one of those smiles. Kyungsoo's smiles could really cure the world out of all evil. It's a shame it didn't work on his very own two legs. His thin eyes, heart shaped lips, pink cheeks... It's wonderful. Even under the messy hair and glasses.

It almost looks like Kyungsoo actually smiles at him fondly. Shyly.

Suddenly Chanyeol feels like maybe it isn't so bad. Maybe even if he can't move, even if he lives in such a ty neighbourhood, stuck in this little apartment, maybe he's still okay.

 


The way back to the dorm took him longer than the way to, now, Kyungsoo's apartment. Kyungsoo and his parents that is.

Chanyeol was a little lost in thought. This visit was the best so far. He did feel a bit uncomfortable, but compared to the previous times it was nothing. Kyungsoo was being very nice.

Nice both with his acts of kindness, and from the appearance aspect. As shallow as it sounds, something about Kyungsoo is just so fascinating for Chanyeol. Next week he should just bring some juice himself.

His smile when the ice cream was revealed... It was something out of this world. Chanyeol hasn't seen such pure happiness before, not even when Jongdae, the human angel is smiling.

He made it back to the dorm and settled down in his room. Jongdae and Baekhyun aren't supposed to be back until the evening, so the dorm is all his to shout in, in case he feels like going into any competetive matches in his games.

It didn't take long for him to fall into the gaming trap, spending the entire day motionless except for his hands, fingers, and vocal chords in front of the screen of his computer in the room.

When the sky had no more sunlight to shine into Chanyeol's room through the half opened window above his bed, his cellphone buzzed on the corner of his desk. To pay proper attention to what message might appear there, he pulled his headphones down around his neck.

Oh, it's a text from Baekhyun. At this hour? Weren't they supposed to be back by now?

Baekhyun:
'I have good news! You're free and so am I! No more doctors for me! Paper delivery service is done and complete. I owe you buddy. Thank you for all these weeks. Jongdae will be staying at my dorm tonight ;) A small reward, have fun grinding for the achivement I already have HAHAHA.'

What a brat. When did he even have the time to get the new title? It came out literally two days ago? What kind of gaming sorcery did he use in order to achieve it so quickly?

But hey, he's free.

Chanyeol is finally done! He's no longer forced to deliver papers to a handicapped classmate he didn't even know existed until way too many weeks ago.

What a relief. He won't be needing to buy any more ice cream or juice. Even if he only did it once, earier today.

In his dream he was a bird again, flying high up above the earth, yet this time he sees a figure standing on the ground beneath him. Hah. Stupid creature that can't fly, they don't know what they're missing.