Chapter 6: Irene's Worries

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This was one of the most dramatic day for Irene in a very long time and the leader felt as though she needed to do some things to keep herself occupied. As usual, she began to clean their living quarters and started with vacuuming.

Despite living away from human civilisation, the cave had electrical power. Irene and the coven members had taken pains over the years to ensure that they were able to ‘keep up with times’, as they said and live comfortably. Modern household appliances, were therefore, one of the most quintessential things to have.

Owing to their superhuman speed and strength, cleaning was by no means a difficult task, but just boring to the younger vampires. Irene however, thought that doing household chores were actually a way to mull over her culminating thoughts and help soothe her disquieted mind. It is truly a wonder how vampires could hold several hundred years of memories and recall all their experiences and not go crazy with it. Perhaps, some do. Multiple times, Irene had heard of stories about the destruction of older vampires who retained little of their sanity. Irene was afraid that she would eventually become insane like these vampires. Fortunately however, she still felt fine, maybe changed, and maybe plagued by certain haunting memories, but otherwise her thoughts are still sound. It might be because she, together with her coven, had chosen to live a sedentary and non-dramatic lifestyle or it could simply be because of the presence of her coven that she was able to remain so sane and even be reminded of some of their human ways. A smile crept into the leader’s face as she thought about them, the smile faltered as she thought about their future with their new member, Seulgi.

**

Seeing that Seulgi was distracted by the vacuuming noises, Wendy cleared to gain back the attention of the new member. “That is actually just Irene vacuuming. By the way if you have not noticed, this cave is actually pretty contemporary despite how it looks.”

Seulgi looked confusedly at Wendy and that was cue for the vampire who was acting like a mentor to explain herself.

“It took us pains to transform this cave into what it is currently and a few hundred years of designing and engineering studies before we perfected the electrical network in this cave. Not to mention the number of human architects, electricians, labourers who worked together with us to make this possible.” 

A look of disbelief washed over Seulgi’s face at the incredulity of such an idea. The young vampire truly thought that Wendy was joking.

“I know that look but I am not even kidding. Of course, these people are no longer around and we do occasionally maintain the workings of this cave ourselves you know. You, as part of this coven, will have to take up responsibilities too.”  

“So back to business, we are here in the library because the first thing you have to do is to study. Things might have been a bit easier if you still had your human memory but it is perfectly fine if you do not have them just... a little more work. There are a couple of things which you need to read about us. Mind you, these books are written by fellow vampire authors and could only begotten through connections. We have a couple of famous titles, let me just jot them down for you.”

 

Seulgi watched in silence as Wendy wrote down a title, swiftly and neatly. Her handwriting was so neat and tidy it seemed as though Wendy had spent an entire century perfecting her penmanship and for an instance, Seulgi was inspired to do the same. Wendy also seemed to have retained the characteristics of a mortal as she paused to think at intervals, pressing the back of the fountain pen against her lips and then continued. The mentor vampire then handed over the piece of paper which had four titles written on them, one of which was scratched off.

Seulgi took the piece of paper from Wendy gingerly and read the titles.

Immortality; A Curse or a Blessing

The History of Vampiric Communities

Living Amongst the Elites; A Memoir

A Diet for the Dead

Wendy then took a second glance at the parchment that was now in Seulgi’s hands, snatched it back and scrawled over the already struck off title more vigorously so that the words were no longer legible. “Done!” Satisfied, she stuffed the parchment back into Seulgi’s hands. The title which Seulgi remembered as Living Amongst the Elites; A Memoir was no longer visible on the paper. Wendy then then cleared once more before she briefed the young vampire.

 “It is your responsibility to find them in this library, take it as a beginner’s orientation.”

Seulgi grimaced as she stood up and made her way towards the shelf with painfully slow steps. Wendy tutted at the unenthusiastic response from the young vampire and prodded Seulgi from behind. “Come on, this would not be too difficult.”  

**

Usually, cleaning would have done the trick of taking her mind off troubling thoughts but this day was an exception. Irene found herself nearly done with all the cleaning but was still perplexed by certain thoughts.

Even though she had not explicitly stated it, Irene was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter