Chapter 4: An Unusual Coven

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi still did not know what to make of this, she was pretty confident that Irene and the vampire who had helped her was the same vampire. She wondered why was Irene denying it so vehemently and that made her feel slightly dejected.

Having suppressed their enhanced vampiric abilities to conserve their energy, the three vampires made their way back to their abode at a pace that was only slightly faster than humans. During their travel as a trio, Irene finally got an answer from her earlier question. Seulgi had retained no memories of her mortal life and did not know who her creator was. This however, did not come as a surprise for the two older vampires as they seemed to have anticipated that. Yet, curiosity still got the better of them and they tried their best to pull out some memories from the young vampire, whatever that could prove useful to determine the origins of this young vampire. Wendy especially, was more vocal about her concerns and it was then that Seulgi understood that she was considered a pretty strong young vampire. Her strength was possibly attributed to the prowess of her creator but so what about it... Irene then fell silent throughout the journey after touching on the subject of Seulgi’s creators and Seulgi wished she had elaborated more.  

Seulgi’s next surprise came when she realised that Wendy was actually a pretty chatty vampire and had a very pleasant disposition, unlike what Seulgi thought generally of vampires.  

Even so, the young vampire had no idea why but she felt compelled to attack Wendy, especially whenever their eyes met. Seulgi did not dislike Wendy, there was no reason to and she reckoned that the only possible reason for her urges was purely instinctual.

Wendy, on the other hand, appeared to have not taken the earlier assault against her as the older vampire started describing the coven to her enthusiastically while Irene continued to remain silent throughout their journey back, only occasionally giving a nod or two. Wendy described vividly about what the other members were like, how they lived and most importantly what they ate.

Panic then arose when Seulgi found out that her life was going to take a drastic change in course when she had agreed to Irene’s terms. In return for being spared her life, Seulgi was to learn how to live inconspicuously amongst mortals. She enjoyed being free and untamed, without having to live by rules. Seulgi could sense that she would have to relinquish her freedom if she were to join this coven of Irene’s. Wendy even mentioned something about tutelage and that made the young vampire feel more uneasy. Seulgi had a bad omen about this arrangement.

The way to the vampire’s abode seemed unnaturally long and Seulgi guessed that they must have reached the heart of the vast forest. It was a great distance away from the human population which was in tandem with the diet that Irene’s coven had adopted. The young vampire had momentarily forgotten about her impending torture when they had reached the entrance of small cave, it was just how she imagined vampire’s abode to be like and she was absolutely thrilled.

“Crimson.” Wendy called out into the pitch-black entrance into the cave before the trio proceeded forth. 

The young vampire would never have guessed that the passageway to their actual residence was so long and winded so deep into the cave. The passage they had taken was sloping downwards and there were not many indications that there was life in there. Technically speaking, vampires are not really alive, are they? Seulgi tested the air and breathed in deeply, it indeed had a different composition as compared to the air aboveground.

Things then took a drastic turn when they finally reached, they were greeted by a set of bolted double doors, which looked heavy and… ancient.

Then, Wendy pushed open the double doors and stepped aside proudly to welcome the young vampire whilst Irene’s face remained stoic. Seulgi had no idea what her eyes should be focusing on when the doors had opened because the cavern that was revealed behind it was simply too gorgeous.  

Seulgi’s five-year-long existence as a vampire had taught her barely enough to recognise several decorations in the cavern. There was a tasteful selection of Victorian painting on the cavern walls. A large oak table in the middle. Even a staircase with wide steps and elaborate railings and intricately carved spindles. There is a second level in this cavern?! The young vampire thought she would never experience what it meant to feel dizzy, but now she understood. Such a lavish abode was something which she had never imagined she would live in.

Wendy caught the young vampire’s darting eyes and decided to explain a little about their choice for furnishing. “Sorry if it looks a bit too elaborate. We have a little about the Victorian period.”

“I wish it would last…” A tall vampire who had appeared out from nowhere spoke taking Seulgi by surprise as she wondered why had she not picked up this vampire’s scent sooner. Seulgi then realised that it was probably because the scents in this cavern were so heavily mixed together that she simply could not differentiate them.

This tall vampire’s voice was dreamy, and her eyes was glazed over as she seemed to have recalled something. Wearing a loose-fitting cotton shirt and ripped jeans, the tall vampire looked entirely out of place. In fact, al

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter