Chapter 13: An Escape

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy had, countless of times, heard about bad reviews about the vampire fiction book that she had just completed. She just did not expect herself to be so ridiculed by it. In it, it claimed that vampires sparkled in the Sun. No! We don’t sparkle! Wendy wanted to appear before the author and prove it to her.

Despite the book being so poorly written, Wendy could not help but be addicted to it. In it too, was an abundance of foolish, passionate love. Several times Wendy could not help but bury her head in her hands as she sighed at the naivety of the characters but would pick up the book to continue her read. The vampire was on to the fourth book, the last of the series, when she was distracted by the renewed conversation between the leader and the young vampire. The conversation was interesting enough for Wendy to place her book down and listen intently on the exchange. The vice-leader broke out into a grin as the conversation was halted abruptly by the sound of the vacuum cleaner.

She later sighed. The sound of vacuuming, it was perhaps the most common in their lives now. Despite Wendy not minding settling down, she sometimes still missed mingling with living, breathing humans. Perhaps, just perhaps, she should venture out on her own soon, to reconnect with the world outside, to renew her knowledge, and to readjust her outlook to life. Wendy had been thinking all these while about her purpose in living. Had they all become too accustomed to living life in hiding?

**

“Housework?” Seulgi asked with incredulity.

Two days had passed by uneventfully and during the entire time, Seulgi rested in the same room as the leader, trying to steal glances at her all the while.

During those two days, Seulgi realised that the leader had a penchant for doing house chores and spacing out. The young vampire was amazed how many things could be done in this cavern alone. All of whatever Irene did however, contrasted sharply to what Seulgi imagined a vampire to be doing. Seulgi could not envisage herself to be in Irene’s shoes, she was already aching to get out after being in bed for two days. She was also looking forward to being mentored by Irene and her wish came true, but not in any way she had expected it to be.

Irene nodded, her expression sombre and her eyes severe. “Yes, housework.”

“Oh…” That was all Seulgi managed to utter before a handheld vacuum cleaner was shoved into her arms, taking the young vampire by complete surprise. Seulgi had not even seen where the vacuum had materialised from. Irene was that fast.

Irene wasted no time into demonstrating the use of the appliance by vacuuming the already spotlessly clean sheets and Seulgi almost wished she was back with Wendy in the library. All the fantasy dreams she had about spending lovely time with Irene had completely dissipated. Barely fifteen minutes into doing housework, Seulgi’s mind had already drifted to elsewhere. A surprised gasp escaped from her lips as she felt a strong grip to her rear.

“Focus!” Irene chided as she one arm grabbed Seulgi’s arm, the other placed on the young vampire’s waist as she guided the stupefied vampire along. Seulgi felt like a puppet on strings, she was too stunned to move an inch on her own and left it entirely up to Irene to move her however she wants to. The young vampire was a hundred percent certain that her feelings for Irene was certainly romantic.

Seulgi thought she finally regained control of her body again when Irene had withdrawn her hands from her own body parts. “Maybe I should use silver on you too. Be serious, if not you will be wasting an entire day just on cleaning.”

Seulgi nodded stiffly and obediently and set her mind to concentrate on the task. It was not for long before she got distracted once more as Irene had intervened to correct Seulgi’s method of handling the appliance. Irene’s one hand held a fluffy white pillow while the other was wrapped around Seulgi’s hand, dictating her movements entirely. The young vampire was helpless because she wanted her contact with Irene to last longer. It was a really strange sensation because every time Irene touched Seulgi, Seulgi would become paralysed and she embraced that blissful paralysis.

Meanwhile, Irene was too concentrated on teaching the new member about upkeeping the coven’s hygiene that she had not paid close enough attention to Seulgi’s attraction to her. Besides, the leader was getting impatient because it was nearing their feeding time. Irene had never felt so exhausted for a very long period of time and felt that she needed to take her hats off to Seulgi for tiring her out so thoroughly. Amongst them all, Seulgi must have been the most untalented vampire at doing household work.

“Forget it, let’s continue after our meal.” Irene finally said, exasperated.

“Meal?!” Seulgi’s eyes shone at that suggestion.

“Yes, meal.” A voice echoed cheerily from behind. It was Wendy. The vice-leader had regained her coolness and reloaded herself with positive energy so much so that it could be felt immediately by her surrounding members.

Irene could not help herself but smile at the presence of Wendy. It was a lazy, slanted smile that went well with those slightly canted eyes of hers. A smile that was brighter than the sun itself, Seulgi thought, even though she had almost forgotten how bright the sun was.

Touches, that looked both natural and sweet were exchanged between the leader and the vice-leader, and that made Seulgi feel confused about their relationship. Those easy touches, it felt beyond that of just a close members’ touches, they were almost like lovers’ caresses. Did Seulgi fail to read the relationship between Irene and Wendy as well…?

The vice leader was punctual as always in reminding the coven members about their feeding time and Irene always appreciated it. If Irene was the mom of the coven, then Wendy would undeniably take on the father figure.

Wendy had naturally been following the conversation between Irene and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter