Chapter 16: The Work of Silver

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Thoughts whizzed about in the Vice-leader’s mind as she recollected the events that happened a while ago. It was rare but not unusual for two vampires to be in the same vicinity and that, in itself, did not pose as a problem to Wendy. The real problem was the method by which the stranger had stalked her. It was almost as if he or she was adamant at locating and pinning down Wendy. Since when were vampires ever so eager? Wendy pondered. She had flipped through numerous texts to know that vampires were pretty independent hunters and as far as possible, would try to steer clear from one another’s business. Perhaps… just perhaps there was something else to this event. This chain of thoughts led to Wendy’s decision to employ unscrupulous methods to prepare herself and the coven.

Also, after poring over the numerous history books, both vampiric and human. Wendy had since long known that history repeats itself and despite the records for vampiric history being poorer recorded as compared to mortals’ ones, the pattern was undeniably present. The Vice-leader had long since had a hunch that there would be an imminent war amongst the vampires in the near future and with herself having witnessed two Vampiric Wars, Wendy was fearful.

Herself being stalked by that vampire just now was the best indication of another uprising. Someone was out fervently looking for vampires. Not just any ordinary vampires, they must be targeting vampires of certain calibre. The Stalker, or rather, Hunter, was a professional and Wendy managed to avoid a confrontation because of her origins. She was just much faster. However, this also meant that Wendy had given out her capabilities to the Hunter. This also meant that the vampire might be combing around the vicinity for her and her coven members.   

This was also the main reason why their cavern had been fortified. Despite its innocent and plain appearance, the very cavern that was designed and built by the coven held deadly secrets in the form of a set of mechanisms that will be triggered should the coven perceive danger. Every one of the coven member can access and has the knowledge to operate the mechanisms.

During the past two weeks, Yeri had been put under the supervision of Joy for her misconduct against Seulgi. Today, Wendy had joined the duo because the vice-leader had taken a sudden interest in learning more about Yeri’s silver weapons.

The damage resulted from the work of silver on Seulgi had further inspired Wendy to arm themselves with these crafty weapons. Most vampires had long since known that silver is their greatest weak spot but never truly has Wendy actually saw with her own eyes how severe those damages could be until she saw Seulgi.

To be truthful, the Vice-leader had been slightly shaken up by the fact that there could be so vulnerable. Traditionally, Wendy had only paid attention to how silver was predominantly crafted into restraining tools such as chains or cuffs for vile vampires. Vile vampires were destructed either through burning or execution by another vampire who uses only his raw power or strength. Even during the Vampiric wars, the use of silver weapons was unheard of since vampires took too much pride in their own capabilities to resort to such petty means. Yet, the use of silver might still have been necessary especially to protect a coven as small as theirs.

Wendy knew that this would not be a suggestion welcomed by the leader. Besides it, she had to tread cautiously because pioneering the use of such silver weapons could very well result in popularising it.

 

“Yeri, show me everything that you have been tinkering on.”

The young vampire felt half suspicious and half excited when Wendy had asked her. Joy thought she had heard wrong, either that, or she thought that Wendy was going to confiscate everything that Yeri had made. The two younger vampires soon found out that Wendy had greater ideas and that she had purposely waited for an opportune moment to discover more. Since the leader and Seulgi were still out, Wendy had taken this opportunity and swooped in on Yeri and Joy.

“What have I been tinkering on? Nothing.” Yeri gave a nervous laugh which made Joy bury her head into her hands in embarrassment.

“Don’t take Irene and I for fools. Come on, you know that we know what you are up to as well. Spare me the trouble of wrestling things from you, show them to me now, I have legitimate uses for them.” Wendy said exasperatedly and remembered how on many occasions, she had dissuaded Irene from denying Yeri of this particular hobby of hers.

“You are not going to destroy all of them, are you? I really spent a lot of time and effort on them…” Yeri spoke cautiously, her eyes were wide and pleading.

Wendy rolled her eyes and held out her hand, curling her fingers, beckoning the younger vampire to show her those creations.

Without another word being exchanged. Joy and Wendy were led up to where Yeri had claimed as her private workshop. This was a room that Yeri had won her rights to and insisted that only she fully owned and would have access to. There, she installed a lot of security system that was common in a modern private estate but looked out of place in a cave like theirs. Despite their curiosity, the members of the coven had soon learnt to ignore the presence of such a room because they were too prideful to ask Yeri to let them in.

Once they entered, the two older vampires had almost recoiled and sprinted out of the room for they never felt themselves more vulnerable in their lives. Almost every inch of the wall was covered by silver weapons that were proudly displayed on racks mounted on the wall. At the corner of the room, was a small fireplace and that further irked Wendy because vampires naturally hated fire.

Every piece of weapon polished till it gleamed obscenely. Wendy and Joy thought that they had entered a weapons exhibition. Yeri’s collection ranged from simple daggers, cutlass, and throwing knives to ballista, revolvers, and one that looked like a machine gun. All of which, were undeniably made of silver or was capable to firing silver projectiles. This time round, it was the two older vampires who let out nervous laughter. . Irene is going to hit the roof when she sees all of these.

“All these… by yourself?” Wendy asked, uncertainly and picked up several silver daggers to look at how exquisite they were. No matter, how deft a vampire was, each would still take considerable time to forge.

Yeri nodded. “I got my engineering degrees for a reason.” Yeri said proudly.

Wendy surveyed the surroundings once more, her eyes widening as they roved over each of Yeri’s masterpieces. The vice-leader still found it quite unbelievable that in just about a hundred year, Yeri was able to make such a huge collection of weapons all by herself.  

Joy picked up a gun that she knew as the Wheellock pistol, an antique kind of gun that was invented in Europe in the 1500s.

“Oh, that one is just for aesthetics.” Yeri quickly snatched it back from Joy and replaced it on the rack.

“You mean it cannot fire a real bullet?”

“Of course it can! I made it that way” Yeri retorted loudly, sounding beyond offended. “Just… I have never had a chance to try them before since all of you have been following me around everywhere I go.”

“Yeri, seriously. This must be the reason why your combat skills still have not improved. You spend way too much time on all these,” Joy complained.

Yeri protested. “No! I make way less weapons now to focus on improving my unarmed combat skills. Stop dissing me, Joy.”

“Whatever it is. This is truly a great collection. I just wonder how come we have not become interested in your works sooner.” Wendy said her thoughts aloud as the three vampires were now inspecting the very same dagger that had injured Seulgi so grievously. Besides the intricate details on its pommel, it looked like a regular dagger.

Yet, when Wendy ran her fingertips across it, it drew blood readily and the older vampire’s eyes widened with eagerness and she looked at Yeri ex

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter