Chapter 9

Glory days and ways

Chapter 9

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Alright, Areum are you ready to present your solo?"

I'm at dance class and today we are presenting our pieces to Mrs. Park. All the groups have already gone and since we only have one solo this time, it's my turn to go.

I slowly walk to the middle of the dance floor and look around. My eyes land on Mina and she rolls her eyes and looks away, I do the same. From the corner of my eye I see Mrs. Park press the play button on the sound system and my song plays its first beat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of practise went well. As usual I recieved praise after my practise performance. Looking out the window I finally see my dads car roll up. Picking up my stuff I turn to leave but not without saying goodbye to my girls.

"Bye guys!"

"Bye Areum!"

"Love you!"

"Love you too!"

I step outside the studio and I regret not wearing a jacket today. It's the middle of october and I should probably start bringing one. Opening the car door i'm about to step inside when I realize my dad isn't in the drivers seat.

"Donghyuk? What are you doing picking me up?" I ask confused.

"What? aren't you excited to see your brother?"

Purpously, I give him a sour face expression and he laughs.

"Well if your wondering why I am picking you up it is because i'm back in the city. Because, me and Min want to get married in Seoul.

Ahh the marriage. How could I forget? Last night after Donghyuk and Min broke the news I was happy for them. But I had this weird feeling in my gut. Now don't get me wrong I think Min and Donghyuk are perfect fo each other, but the whole situation has kind of made me sad.

"Areum? Are you okay? Your not saying anything?"

I force a smile on my face."

"Everything is fine oppa, but enough about me, where are you going to be staying?"

"Well we were thinking to stay at home, do you mind Areum?"

Donghyuk is coming home? Now also bringing his new fiance? I mean we have a big house so space won't be an issue.

"Of course I dont mind! Make yourself at home!"

"I knew you would understand Areum! Mom and dad said you might have some troubles."

I scoff.

"Of course they would say that."

I look straight ahead but I can see my brother give me a concerned side glace. Since I don't feel like answering any questions I quickly change the subject.

"So when are you and Min trying to plan the wedding date?"

Donghyuk looks surprised by my sudden question but still answers.

"Well we were thinking this summer, probably July then our honeymoon in August."

We are now entering our drive way and Donghyuk parks the car. I grab my dance bag and hesitate before I open the door. Without thinking twice I look at Donghyuk.

"You know oppa you are very lucky that you have someone like Min and that Min has someone like you. You guys are so caring and are a great couple. Its nice to see how happy you are."

Without waiting to see his reaction I get out off the car, open the front door and make my way towards my bedroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My routine after dance is pretty simple. Put my dance clothes in the laundry, shower, change, then go to eat dinner. Forgetting about the whole Donghyuk and Min moving in situation I was surprised for a second when walked into the kitchen and found a full dinner table.

Our dinner table has six seats and there is usually five of us so there is always room for everyone and an extra seat. But now Donghyuk took my seat and Min stole the extra seat.

I awkwardly enter the room and grab a plate. Upon hearing my arrival Min immediatley gets up from her chair.

"Oh Areum, im sorry! Here take this spot!"

"Oh Min dear what are you doing?! Sit back down, Areum will be fine!" Says my mom.

"Ya, I will be fine."

I quickly take my food and head to my room. I would rather not be there anyways because it would probably be awkward. I rummage through my dance bag trying to find my phone. I can't see whats under all those clothes but once my hand grabs a small solid square object, I figure its my phone and pull it out. Pressing the home button I am surprised to find a messege from an unknown contact.

Xx Unknown Number Xx
Hey Areum, would you want to hang out any time soon?
:)

I'm confused. Who is this person and why do they want to hang out with me. I open a text box to reply.

Im sorry but who is this?

I click the send button and put a couple of spoonfulls of rice in my mouth. Then my phone gives me a notification

Xx Unknown Number Xx
Ahhh you dont have my number saved yet?
 

Now i'm extremley coonfused. The way this person is talking is making it sound like we already know each other

Xx Unknown Number Xx
Well if you have not figured it out yet, it's Chin-Hwa and I would like to hang out with you sometime.
 

Woah, What?! Chin-Hwa?! Why is he wanting to hang out with me? I throw my phone across the bed before I could reply something stupid.

I need to think about this logically. Why is he all of a sudden requesting to hang out with me? Does he like me? Oh my god!

"Dont get too ahead of yourself!" I murmer quietly.

I mean this does not have to be a bad thing right? Maybe he really does just want to hang out and stop being such an to me all the time. Ya, thats it, he is just being nice..right?!

Before I can second guess myself, I unlock my phone and add him as one of my contacts so he dosen't keep showing up as that shady unknown number. Then I press our chat and think of a reply.

Hmmm... why not! Where do you want to meet? This better not be something stupid Chin-hwa!

I press send.

Ahhhh!!! Why did I say that! Now I sound just rude and all bitc-

Before I can finish my thoughts, another messege pops up on my screen.

Chin-Hwa
Why do you think I am always up to no good Areum? Jk, but how about we go out for lunch tomorrow? We can meet in the parking lot.

Lunch? Tomorrow? Is this a lunch date? Confused as ever I type another messege.

Is this suppossed to be a lunch date?

I wait for a reply.

Chin-Hwa
Only if you want it to be.

How am I suppossed to answer that! I mean we are just starting to be friends! Dating is a little crazy. I smirk as I have an interesting reply.

Well..what do you want it to be?....
 
Chin-Hwa
Lunch date sounds great. Meet me at my car for lunch?? ;)

What? This is a lot to process but before I take to long to answer I simply reply "Okay."

Throwing my phone across the bed I plop down against my pillows. 

Im having lunch tomorrow....with Chin-Hwa...

Should I dress nicer tomorrow? Nah this is suppossed to be casual, and is just Chin-Hwa right? We have known each other for ages, there is nothing special between us.

All of a sudden an uneasy feeling roars in my stomach. Countless thoughts roam through my head. But only one really stands out.

What does this mean?

UGH! I can't think about it anymore, i'm just going to over think! Kicking my covers, I make my way towards the washroom and do my night routine. Wash face, braid hair, and change into pajamas. Everything for the night is finished and I shut my room light but keep my lamp on. Snuggling into the comfort of my lilac coloured covers I grab my phone one last time to set my alarm, but instead I find myself looking at a snapchat notification from Dae-Jung.

From Dae-Jung? Thats random.

Opening the snapchat, I recieve a black screen with a simple sentence.

Do you have plans at lunch tomorrow?

What the heck? Okay, now this is getting weird! First Chin-Hwa asks me about lunch tomorrow and now i'm getting the same messege from Dae-Jung?!?

Not sure if I want to reveal who im going out with tomorrow, I answer him with a black screen and an equally simple messege.

Yes, i'm busy at lunch. Why?

After I send that I stare into the clock infront of my makeup table seeing how much time passes till I get an answer.

My phone dings.

Just wondering...

Confused for nearly the 3rd time today I don't even bother trying to figure this out anymore. Before I can continue the conversation and confuse myself any more (if thats even possible at this point!) I set my alarm then put my phone on the nightstand and finally turn off the light to my lamp leaving me surrounded by darkness.

I turn my body to the other side of my room so that i'm facing my window. A couple of hairs tickle my nose and I aggressively rub the tip of my nose to lose the irritation.

I yawn. My vision blurs and I can just barley see the little opening of my curtains allowing me too see the night sky. But before I can count how many stars there are I fall asleep into a deep slumber.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~