Chapter 17

Glory days and ways

Chapter 17

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s the end of the week, Friday to be exact. I wake up with a smile and stretch my arms and legs.

It’s so nice to have a day off! Now, I know what you might be thinking.

Areum! Why aren’t you at school?
Well, to keep it simple we didn’t have school.

It’s one of Seoul high’s rare day offs. To be honest I don’t even know why we get the day off today. All I need to hear is no school and I’m good!

“Areum, come downstairs, your grandma is on the phone!”

Instantly I sit up and I smile. Running down the stairs, I nearly smack into Donghyuk.

“Woah Areum chill! Why are you running?”

I don’t even bother answering him I just keep going into the kitchen. I see my mother on the couth with the phone in her hand talking in a hushed gentle tone.

Upon noticing my arrival her mood changes and she speaks up again.

“O-oh uh Areum is hear to speak with you!”

She silently hands me the phone and moves to fix up something in the kitchen.

Weird.

Shrugging it off, I place the phone against my ear and begin to talk.

“Grandma! How are you?! I miss you so much!”

I hear her soft laugh and I feel at ease.

“I miss you too pumpkin! How are you my love?”

Pumpkin is the nickname my grandma has been using for me since I was little. It’s childish but special because she is the only one who can call me that.

“I’m good! Grandma I have so much to tell you! When will you visit again? Christmas time?”

She lets out a long sigh.

I will try pumpkin, if I’m feeling well.”

An uneasy feeling takes over my body and I begin to worry.

If I’m feeling well?!

“Grandma what do you mean if I’m feeling well, is there something wrong with your health?”

“Ah Areum don’t worry I’m doing fine, hopefully I will see you at Christmas and you can tell me everything I missed. Okay pumpkin?”

Tears start to form in my eyes at the sound of the love and sincerity she bears when I hear her speak to me. I don’t want to start crying on the phone, so I take a second to regain myself and wipe my eyes.

Areum honey, are you still there?”

“Yes Grandma I am here.”

“Well I have got to go now, there is some stuff I have to take care of today. Tell your siblings I will talk to them soon okay?”

“Yes grandma.”

“Okay Pumpkin, I will see you soon okay? I promise.”

“I love you grandma.”

“I love you too my pumpkin.”

“Bye”

Areum wait!”

“Yes.”

“Areum I know sometimes things can get hard for you and you have troubles expressing yourself but even when I’m not there I want you to stay strong because you’re a beautiful girl and I promise you will find ease within yourself.”

“Grandma..what’s with the sudden serious topic! Your acting like you will never see me again. We’re going to see each other soon for Christmas, aren’t we?”

“Y-yes my dear but I just wanted to tell you so that you always remember that. I really must go now but Areum, my pumpkin I really do love you and I want you to stay strong in the moments when I might not be there.”

“We still have a long time together Grandma. I’m excited for your arrival! Bye, I love you!”
“I love you too…. goodbye my pumpkin.”

Bye!”

Beep beep beep.

The line cuts short meaning that the call is done. I think about grandma’s deep words but brush it off. She was probably just trying to be positive and uplifting.

Right?

“Areum, are you ready?”

“No not yet! I was talking to grandma on the phone.”

Today me, Hana, my mom, and one of Min’s friends are helping her start dress shopping. Min’s parents aren’t flying in until next week, so we decided to help her shop today.

“Hurry, because we are leaving soon.”

“Okay! Give me like half an hour.”

I quickly get back into my room and start getting ready. Grabbing my phone, I tap the weather app and see the forecast for today. Since its nearing the end of November, it’s getting chilly outside.

I put on a pair of sheer tights and a black miniskirt. I tuck in a crème knit sweater and throw on a red scarf with a fitted black leather jacket. As for my shoes I choose a pair on brown combat boots. Since Im short on time I just brush my hair out and keep it in it’s natural slight waves. For makeup, I just do my everyday look but add more of a red tint to my lips. Satisfied with my look, I place some essentials into my black purse then make my way downstairs.

“Areum, you never fail to impress me. How do you always look so good!?” Min exclaims.

I giggle and thank her. “You look good too unnie!”
My mom and Hana come down the stairs ready and dressed.

“Alright, so are we ready to go?”

“Yes, let’s go!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We had arrived at the wedding dress boutique nearly an hour ago. We helped Min pick out a couple of dresses.

Our group is sitting on the benches outside the changing room waiting for Min too change into her third dress.

Ding.

I open my phone and see a text message from Chin-Hwa.

C: Hey :)

I reply.

A: Hi!

C: Are you busy today?

A: I'm out right now helping Min dress shop. Why?

C: Are you free too go out later? Just like walk and talk.

A: Ya sure!

C: What time?

A: 6?

C: Great. See you later babe ;)

A: :)

I set my phone down and smile.

The curtain slides open and Min walks out wearing a strapless ivory toned dress. The soft lace pattern created an elegant look. The dress hugged her body in all the right places.

Without warning, soft tears begin to escape her eyes.

“Min! Why are you crying? The dress is beautiful!”

We watch her as she takes a moment to regain herself. “It’s just everything I’ve ever dreamed of, I l-love it!

Her pure happiness makes as emotional and we all can’t help but get teary eyed.

“Min my dear, is this the one?” Ask mom is a slight whisper.

Barley able to contain her emotions Min nods her head signalling that this is the one she wants. We stand and engulf her in a big hug.

Since I’m hugging her from the side, her ears are right in front of me. I lean in and whisper.

“I’m happy that Donghyuk is marrying someone like you, he really is lucky.”

Surprised by my sudden comment Min is speechless while looking at me. I give her a small smile then slip away from the scene. I find myself walking towards the washroom. Placing my bag on the counter I stare at myself in the mirror.

I just stare.

Millions of emotions are running through my mind. The especially happy moment for Min had my thinking many things. But I still wanted to be respectful and celebrate for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chin-Hwa texted me saying to meet at the park near my house. Which was the perfect walking distance for me.

The air was a little chilly during the evening, but I could bear with it. The evening setting was relaxing, and I manage a small smile on my face. I see a small bench near the park sign and sit down.

A few minutes pass by and Chin-Hwa still hasn’t arrived yet. I anxiously check the time on my phone every couple of minutes.

Chin-Hwa wouldn’t stand me up, right?”

“Areum! I’m sorry for being late! There was a big lineup at the café I was at!”

Chin-Hwa gets out of the car looking flustered.

As he says the word “café” I notice the hot drinks and donut box he holds.

“I hope you like donuts and coffee.” He says with a sheepish grin.

I giggle at his gesture.

I knew he wouldn’t leave me!

“I love both.” I reply with a smile.

“Why don’t we move down there by the lake?”

“Sure.”

Silently we walk down the hill and sit at small picnic table that was located right by the lake. I look in awe at the lake as it was beautiful. The water was clear and was shining.

Chin-Hwa places the hot beverage in front of me and opens the donut box.

“Choose one!”

My mouth waters looking at all the options in front of me. There were a variety of flavors and kinds that I hadn’t even seen before. To play it safe, I just choose the double chocolate donut. After I have chosen, I see Chin-Hwa take a vanilla flavoured one.

“So how was your day Areum?”

I sigh and answer truthfully.

“It wasn’t bad. I got to talk to Grandma and she said that she’s coming in time for Christmas, so I’m happy. Also dress shopping with Min was okay. She found a really pretty dress.”

“I love your grandma. She always treats all of us like her own grandchildren.” Chin-Hwa replies light-heartedly.

“Ya, I really love her too.”

I munch on my doughnut and take a long sip of my coffee.

I let out a big sigh.

“Why the big sigh? Are you not enjoying yourself?”

I smile at Chin-Hwa’s misconception. “I’m very happy right now.”

“Why is that?” He replies with a teasing look on his face.

“Well first off, I love this type of scenery and time of day, it really is relaxing and calming. Also, you brought me some of my favourite treats and I am spending time with you…why wouldn’t I be happy?”

I gasp as Chin-Hwa suddenly turns around and locks lips with me. His arms wrap around my waist and he is gentle with his kiss. It takes me some time, but I eventually wrap my arms around his neck and respond to his gesture.

Short and sweet is how I would describe the moment. We both pull away and he looks directly at me.

“You beat me too the sappy word confession, so I had to show my gratitude in a different way.”

I laugh loudly at his words and find comfort in the situation.

Before we know it, hours pass and night is soon falling.

“Oh shoot!” Cries out Chin-Hwa.

“What happened?” I reply, worried.

“A couple of days ago Hyuk told me that he had somewhere to be Friday night and that he would need a ride back around nine. He can’t use his car because his car is in the shop for a check up and his parents are out of town today.”

Understanding what he was saying I show sympathy. “Don’t worry Chin-Hwa, it is starting to get late anyways, I was going to go home soon.”

“But I don’t want you to go home alone, it’s getting dark.” He says showing genuine concern.

“Its fine, I always walk at this time, and my house is only about seven minutes away!”

From the look on his face, I could tell that he wasn’t fond of the idea but I assure him more.

“Chin-Hwa! It’s really fine! Go pick up Hyuk, he is waiting for you!”

“Alright, alright. Just be careful okay?”

“I will, bye Chin-Hwa!”

“Bye!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The walk home was peaceful. I blush remembering all the events that had happened. Reaching the foot steps by my front door, I open my purse and grab the house key.

Unlocking the front door, I see that all the lights in the kitchen/ living room are still on. Well, It’s not even that late anyways! I look at the exact time on my phone and it reads 9:02.

“Areum is that you who just came home?” Calls my mom from the kitchen.

“Yes.”

“What were you doing just now?”

“Uh, just hanging out with a friend.”

Before she can ask more questions, I quickly make my way upstairs and shut my bedroom door behind me. Tired from the long day I change into pajamas and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face.

I rush through the process because I just want to be laying in bed. Finishing my routine, I sit in my bed and snuggle into the covers.

Ding.

Hearing the notification, I open my phone to find a text from Chin-Hwa.

C: Are you home and safe?

A: Yes I am.

C: Good.

A: I’m going to bed soon because I’m exhausted. So, goodnight.

A: And thanks for today, I really liked it.

C: Glad you did. Goodnight Areum, dream of me ;)

I roll my eyes but can’t help but smile at his last text. At this point I can barley keep my eyes open. I through my phone towards my nightstand and crash onto my pillow.

Goodnight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~