Chapter 26

Glory days and ways

Six months later

Areum’s POV

“Omo Areum I’m so bored.”

I look over at Mina who’s banging her head on the desk, bored out of her mind. I smirk and fix my red beret on my perfectly straight hair.

I sigh softly and take a good look around the classroom. Everyone is bored and only a couple of students are paying attention to the video being shown. I’m in second period science and we are currently doing a segment on biology. To be honest I’m kind of lost, I think this video is about dna or something but I’m not entirely sure.

For some reason I’m feeling hungry earlier then usual. Quietly I open my bag and search my wallet grabbing my debit card.

I glance at our teacher and he looks equally as bored as the rest of the students. His right arm is supporting his face while his left hand is typing a message on his cell phone.

I lean in to Mina and whisper into her ear. “I’m going to the cafeteria, do you want anything?”

She mumbles an answer and turns her head the other way.

“Ya Mina if you don’t wake up your going to get in trouble.”

She slaps my hand away and buries her face deeper into her crossed arms. I scoff at her reaction, place my debit into the pocket of my blazer and head towards the teacher.

The closer I get, the more I release how zoned out he is. I love this point of the semester because it’s almost summer and the teachers want to be out of this place even more then us. Hmm, maybe not more then us, but their desire is up there.

“Excuse me teacher, may I use the washroom please?”

He doesn’t notice me at first, finally he realises that I’m staring at him waiting for an answer.

“Hm? Oh, the cafeteria? Sure, just be back soon.”

I try not to laugh at the fact that he completely did not realise I didn’t even ask to go the washroom but hey, at least I don’t have to try and hide my food walking back into class.

My current class is on the second floor and the cafeteria is on the main, so I have a little way to go. I could take the stairs but decided against it and go for the elevator instead. I press the down button and wait for the door to open. The halls are usually quiet at this time as students who don’t have class go to the library or grab a bite at a local café.

The elevator door opens, and I swiftly make my way towards the back after pressing the down button. I glance and find the other students glued to the phones in front of them. Reaching into my left blazer pocket I take my phone and find a couple of new notifications:

Mina: I just woke up >:( can you grab me a coffee please.

I roll my eyes and text her back with a smirk on my face.

Areum: I was already going to ;)

Mina: What would I do without you T.T

I laugh and face the elevator door that is now opening. A couple of first year students wait on the other side. I recognize their faces but can’t seem to remember their names.

Hm doesn’t matter anyway.

I walk past them, making my way towards the now visible cafeteria sign. My stomach rumbles and my mouth waters and the scent of the freshly baked goods.

The cafeteria is also a popular lounging area for students in their free time. Walking in, I notice many tables are occupied by various friend groups.

Turning to the front of the cafeteria line, I notice Chin-Hwa and his friends glancing my way. Quickly I return my focus to the food in front of me and forget their presence.

They don’t affect me anymore.

I can feel thier stares burning into my back but I don't dare turn around. Things have changed drastically over the past six months, ever since the funeral I haven't spoken to Chin-Hwa and his friends once. The situation with Jisoo, Eunsoo and Mi-Hee got even worse as our only interactions are death glares and rolled eyes while passing in the hallways.

Mina and I have grown to be very close, as we spend almost all our free time together. It's crazy to think how we went from being enemies for years to suddenly being each other's best friends.

Everyone tells me I have changed since grandma's death, and I secretly have noticed it to. My attitude has reached an all-time high, as my parents have given up on even trying to scold me. It pisses me off and everyone is always on thier side and using Hana as an example because shes just so perfect. Unfortunalty, my parents have gone back to comparing me to Hana, something they woudn't dare to do in grandma's presence. I constanly notice Donghyuk and Min giving me worried glances and Hana staring at me with unreadable looks, but I don't even care about thier opinions anymore. When I come home I am eiether in my room, or getting ready to go out somewhere. I have always been a social person and enjoyed going out, but even I have noticed that I am basically only at my house to sleep.

The focus is currently on Donghyuk and Min's summer wedding. Min and Donghyuk are constantly meeting with thier wedding planner so that they can finish up the last details of thier wedding. There both very organized people, so the venue, wedding dress, suit, invitations, and food arrangments are already done.

Although I'm happy for them, seeing them being all passionate with one another really sets me off. I know it makes me sound like a bad person, but the two remind me of Chin-Hwa and I. Unfortunaly, as much as I have tried to forget him, people constantly ask me about my status with him.

"How are you and Chin-Hwa doing?" "Omo! Your not together anymore?" "But you guys were made for each other!" "Im so sorry!"

"Student, What would you like to order? Student!"

I jolt out of my thoughts and stare blankly at the lunch lady giving me a concered look.

"Oh I-"

"I'll order first, since I know what I want."

I turn to my left to make eye contact with Chin-Hwa, he looks for a couple seconds then moves past me and gives the lady his order.

"Alright, your total is 10.50"

I watch out of the corner of my eye as he quickly grabs his wallet and hands her a $20. The lady smiles at him and gives him his chnage.

"Your food will be ready soon, next!"

"What would you like darling?"

"Can I have two coffees, a bagel with creme cheese, and a raspberry muffin?"

I know Mina didnt ask for any food to go with her drink, but I thought it would be nice to add since raspberry muffins are her favourite.

"How would you like your coffees done?"

"Double double"

"Okay, your food will be on the side when it's ready."

I hand her a $10 bill and walk towards the area where Chin-Hwa is already standing. I notice that Jung has now joined him and there talking quietly with one another.

I see Jung glance at me and I look away quickly, while fixing my hair. I grab my phone and see that Mina texted me again.

Mina: Where are you? Its been 10 minutes.
Areum: Coming soon, I got you a rasberry muffin too :D
 

"Two double doubles, a bagel with creme cheese, and a rasberry muffin is ready!"

I stride towards my order and smirk to myself when I realsie that my food was ready before Chin-Hwa's even though he ordered before me.

"Enjoy your meal!"

I smile brightly at lady. "Thank you!"

I grab the freshly done food and drinks, and begin to feel relaxed when I smell the aroma of the newly brewed coffee.

Completly forgetting about Chin-Hwa and Jung, I walk happily out of the cafeteria and make my way back to class. I get back to my classroom quickly, and quietly walk in with my food. Mina is now awake and a smile appears on her face at the sight of the food.

"Ah Areum, your the best." She says while sniffing her rasberry muffin.

I wink at her jokingly and she puts her finger in her month, mimiking the throwing up action. Giggling, I take a long sip from my coffee and let it warm my body.

"Ugh are we still watching this stupid video."

"I think its almost done, but the teacher has given up."

I glance back at our teacher and try to supress laughter at his sulken expression. 

"Areum are you done studying for exams yet?" Mina asks.

"I finished last night, now I just have to review."

"Perfect! So that means we can hang out tonight?"

"Sure, but remember we have dance tonight."

"How about dinner then dessert after class!"

"Oh! We should try that new pasta place by our dance studio!"

"Sure, sounds good to me!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Okay thats enough for today! You are all dismissed!"

I let out a big sigh and stable myself against the wall behind me to try and catch my breath. Even though competition season is over, dance classes are still equally as hard.

"Come on Areum, that pasta place is practically calling my name!"

I laugh at Mina's joke. "Okay just give me a second, We both still need to change."

I notice the dance class is particularly quiet today, there is not much chatter besides Mina's complaints about me being too slow.

Hm it's exam season, everyone is probably just stressed.
 

"Areum you have 5 minutes let's go!"

After numerous whinning sessions from Mina, we finally settle down at the restaurant and grab our menus to order. Mina's eyes are crazed as I watch her scan the menu at an alarmingly fast rate.

"Are you girls ready to order?"

My make eye contact to confirm with Mina that she's ready, and the look of hunger in her eyes confirms it.

"Yes we are."

"Okay what will you two be having?"
"I'll have the chicken delight pasta with lemon water as my drink."

"I will have the veggie delux pasta along with an ice tea."

"Okay your orders will be ready shortly!"

"If the food does not come within two minutes i'm going to pass out." Mina exclaims while holding her head in her hands.

"It's okay, I will be here to catch you."

"Yah, that dosen't help my situation."

"Don't worry it's coming soon, just don't stuff your face when it comes."

"I think I'm going to!"

We both laugh and take sips out of the Drinks that have just been placed on our table.

"Yah! I think i already see our food coming!"

I'm surpised as it's merely been five minutes since we ordered.

"Looks like it's your lucky day Mina"

The waitress comes over and places our plates in front of us.

"One veggie delux and chicken delight, enjoy your meals ladies!"

"Oh we will!"

 I laugh at Mina's response and begin to dig into the fresh food in front of me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~