Chapter 25

Glory days and ways

Chapter 25

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is the day, it’s grandma’s funeral.

I came back home at 4:30am last night and haven’t slept for more then 30 minutes because I keep waking up. To say that I am exhausted is an understatement.

Knock knock

“Come in!”

Slowly my door opens, and I see my mom at the doorway. Her eyes have sunken in and she looks paler then usual. She doesn’t say anything, just slowly walks towards me.

She sits down on my bed and engulfs me in a hug and buries her head into my neck and holds me tight. She brings her hand up my back and my head gently.

Slowly, she brings her head up and looks me in the eyes.

"Areum I miss her so much, and I know you do too."

My eyes begin to water but I try to hold back the tears. I have cried so much, I don't think I can handle any more tears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The car ride was quiet, nobody spoke  the only sound being the ocasional sniffle of someone trying too hard not to cry. The funeral was being held in our local church. Grandma had moved out of Seoul when I was younger. She used to live in the Bundang-gu distrcit area with us, but when Grandpa has passed away she began her new life in a smaller quiet town outside of Seoul. She had constantly talked about coming back to Bundang-gu so when she passed some relatives where she had currently lived arranged for her to be transported here by the funeral services.

The car stops and slowly turns towards the parking lot of the church. There aren't any people yet besides the service team, but I know that there is going to be a lot of people since my grandma held many people close to her over the years. My neck begins to cramp and I mentally scolf myself for leaning my head streched on the car window the whole ride. Once the car is parked, I get out and lean against the door. I sigh and look at the sky above me. It's a gloomy day out with a slight breeze, cold enough to make me shiver.

My dress is black with sleves that just cover my shoulders, I move my hands back and from against my arms to try and get some warmth.

At the sound of an approaching engone, I turn to the side and notice my brothers car and a familiar black SUV behind him. They park beside each other and make there way out.

Donghyuk and Min exit there cars and make there way towards us. No words are exchanged, I am just embraced in hugs. Looking over Min's shoulder I recocgize the mystery boy and his family exiting the car.

It's Chin-Hwa.

I breathe in sharply and unintentionally make a slight gasping noise which both Donghyyuk and Min notice. Awkwardly I avert my gaze and pretend to play with my hair.

"Areum? Are you okay?" Min asks looking concerned.

I shrug my shoulders in response. I know its quite rude, but i'm focusing on whats happening in front of me. Chin-Hwa and his family are making thier way towards us.

Oh my god.

Without making it obvious, I begin to move and hide behind my parents using them as a shield. 

As soon as Chin-Hwa's mom and my mom see each other both of them can't can't but shed tears and embrace each other in a silent hug. His dad and my dad shake hands and converse in murmered voices making it hard to hear.

My parental shield is now gone and standing directly in front of me is Chin-Hwa and his siblings.

"Areum I'm sorry for your loss."

I look up and make eye contact with Chin-Hwa's brother. He looks calm and has pity in his eyes.

Oh how I hate pity.

"I appreactiate it."

I glance aat Chin-Hwa and we make eye contact, we hold it for a couple of seconds before he pulls his gaze away.

Ouch.

That hurt a lot. Suddenly all the feelings from everything that's happen fall upon me and I feel nervous, anxious and start breathing a little faster.

I turn my head to the side to avoid looking at the siblings in front of me but Chin-Hwa's brother has already noticed that i'm starting to feel uneasy.

"Areum are you okay?"

For some reason his question makes me feel even more emotional and I can feel tears beggining to blur my vison. I'm about to walk away before I feel a petite body hug me.

I blink a couple of times to clear my vision and see Yoona, Chin-Hwa's litte sister giving me a hug. I have to bend at an awkward angle to meet her height and properly hug her back.

Her gesture was genuine and I hold her for a couple of more seconds before I start to let go. Just before I get back to my normal height, she pulls me down even further and whispers into my ears.

"You can do this unnie! I believe in you. Everything will be okay!"

I look her straight in the eyes and give her a warm smile.

"Your a sweet little girl Yoona."

Without another word or glance at anyone I slip away from the situation and walk into the Church, where the service awaits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The seats filled up quickly, and frankly I was tired from standing and having to be greated by all the guests.When I noticed any of the girls families coming over I purposly sliped out and took a small trip to the bathroom.

Finally I grab seat in the front row with my family and observe the situation around me. The church was fancy and had many delicate intricate details on the overall design. The sound level in the room was a bare minimum, except for the ocassional murmer of a couple of voices conversing quietly.

The funeral is just about to start, but we are missing one thing.

I hear the sound of wheels rolling on the ground and gasp slightly.

It's here.

The quiet conversations immediatly stop and everyone stares at the sight in front of them.

The funeral service team wheel in the coffin.

With Grandma inside.

I feel a tight feeling in my chest and exhale sharply, not realizing that I had held my breath this whole time. I glance at my mom and her face is very pale and her eyes read a dull lifeless expresesion.

I had obviously known that Grandma was dead, but seeing the coffin brought me a whole new reality. She's really gone and I can't do anything about it.

I am powerless.

I watch as the funeral conductor makes his way to the stage. His face is narrow and he has a glum expression. But he is probably used to these things by now. The sadness probably barley touches him. As he settles himself at the poteum at the front, I see him relax his tense shoulders and take a good look at the audience in front of him.

He clears his throat and the service begins.

"Good morning ladies and gentlemen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Anyone who would like to say a couple of words about Kim-Eun Jung may come up now."

Slowly, I rise from my chair and make my way towards the poteum. I look straight at the ground while my hair falls in front and covers my face.

Climbing up the laststep I turn around and set myself up at the poteum. Carefully, I unfold the paper in my hands.

I glance at the crowd and take a big gulp. Looking back at my script, it's getting hard to read, the words are scrambling from all over the page and I can't focus.

So screw the paper.

I fold it back up exactly how it was before and decide to do a very risky move.

I'm just going to wing it.

Carefully I analyse the faces of all the individuals in front of me. Some have tears while others look struck with immense saddness.

Running my hand through my hair, I take a deep breathe and muster up my courage to finally begin. The microphone is a bit high so I take a second to adjust the stand.

Once everythings ready, I close my eyes and take one final deep breathe.

3, 2, 1,

My eyes shoot open and I begin to pour my heart out.

My grandma was a very hard working person. She valued all her friends and family showing love to them in the most spectacular ways. As I grew older, I noticed just how much my grandma and I were alike. We always agreed on the same topics and she understood me in a way that I found others coudn't. My attitude towards things was always a little different, other parents or elders would find me to be annoying or disrespectful but my gradma had never scolded me, instead she always justified what I did. She accepted me for being a little different. Acceptence is something we all value when we are growing up, especially if one is slightly different. Having that sense of belonging and having someone understand you is the best feeling you can have. It becomes your comfort and you feel at ease. My grandma was my comfort and i'm sure that all of you here today experienced her kind words, that she spoke with so much wisdom. Unfortunatly everything happened so quickly, and this isn't how I wanted to say goodbye. I had so much to tell grandma, and I anticipated her holiday arrival very much. You never know when your going to lose someone close to you. So please hold your loved ones close to you, and let them know how you care for them. I always told Grandma I loved her, and I would have never guessed that our phone conversation a couple of weeks ago would have been the last time she heard me say it.It pains me to know that she was in pain struggling with her old age. But i'm confident when I say that Kim-Eun Jung lead a beautiful life almost as magical as her. Grandma, I know you will take on whatever journey you have now with grace, just like you always do. For the last time, I want to say I love you, and i'm positive we will mett again one day.

I look up at the crowd and I see people smiling sadly at me, while others weep silently. I bow slightly and make my way down the stage. I want to leave but the funeral conductor still has to say the closing remarks. Slowing I sit down and watch as the man brings his papers to the podeum giving the crowd a reminder how to properly pay thier respects after. My mind is buzzing with thoughts and can't properly hear what he's saying. Instead, i'm focusing on the way he curls his lips after every sentence.

Suddenly the noise begins again, as people start to get up from thier seats and make thier way to the front. I see more aunt's and uncles coming our way, who probably want to talk to my parents because they haven't got the chance to yet and I figured I wasn't talking to any more people today.

Quietly, I escape the situation and use the side door to get out of the stuffy church. The wind slaps my hair, whipping it back feriously. It's a walm calming wind that feels comforting against your skin. Subconciously I rub my hands over my arms.

I scowl as I think of my previous actions. Why did I decide to wing my speech?! I was getting so nervous during it that I hand to wipe my hands against my dress five times.

I hear chatter beggining outside, turning my head I notice families walking out of the front entrance.

Climbing down the side door stairs I slowly make my way towards the front entrance. I hang my head low, using my fallen hair as a shield.

"Areum!"

I turn my head in the direction of the voice and i'm engulfed into the persons arms before I could even see thier face. But I could recognize that distinct wavy black hair and floral scent anywhere.

We pull back and I try to smile at Mina.

"How are you doing Areum? Your speech was beautiful."

"It was?"

 

"Yes, it truly made everyone emotional, I thin-"

 

My eyes and brain focused on the group of people farther into the distance all huddled by the large tree. Eunseo, Mi-Hee, Jisoo, Jung, Dae-jung, Hyuk, and Chin-Hwa. All of them were together. I glance to the right and see Hana with Yerim and her other school friends. Looking to my left, Donghyuk has even managed to converse with a couple of old friends. My parents are totally enagged in conversation, and even little Yoona is speaking to her middle school classmates.

 

"I'v got to go Areum, see you later, feel better!"

 

I mumble a goodbye and continue to oberve my surronfings. Everyone looked like they belonged somewhere, they had someone to be with. My eyes wander back to Jisoo and Chin-Hwa and all the other friends surronding them.Some of them even manaeged to smile, someone probably said a joke.

 

This is a joke.

Jisoo fixes her hair and turns her head, unexpectedly making eye contact woth me. For some reason we can't look away from each other.The others turn thier heads as well and it's seven against one.

A soft hand touchs my shoulder "Areum are you ready to go home now?"

I snap back into reality and glance at my mom.

"Uh ya, I will meet you in the car.

I look back at the group and there still looking at me, but the stares aren't hatefull, there filled with an emotion I can't read. Suddenly hatred, and dread take over me.

I'm all alone now, theres no one here for me.

Theres no one I have to be good for right?

All my previous emotions from earlier today are gone, and now this new feelings are taking over.

I glare so harsh at the group they widen thier eyes and I can see there mouths slightly open from gasping.

I mean they brought this upon themselves right?

Theres no holding back, I won't let them step over me anymore.

 Don't they know it takes two sides to play the game?

I smirk and walk towards the parking lot, but in order to get there I have to pass that group. I walk with my head high and confidence radiates off me. Jisoo is fidgeting with her thumbs and looks slightly nervous. She opens to catch my attention beofre I walk away and talks in a low tone.

"H-hi Areum, I wanted to say th-"

I turn and look her dead in the eye. She's caught off gaurd by my intense stare.

"Cat got your tongue Jisoo?"

She seems surprised at my words and I can feel the other staring at us with confused faces.

She breathes in to speak again but I hold my hand in front of her face.

"Stop, you've already expressed your feelings before, why should I give you a chance to say it again?"

"Areum I-"

"Save it. We both know your just speaking to me because you want to make yourself look good to other people watching you right now. "

Her face looks shocked by my words and I push my regretful feeling to the back of my mind and continue.

"I mean your always just looking out for yourself, right Jisoo? As long as you look good then who gives a crap about the others? Isn't that what you taught me dear?"

I watch as she gulps and her previous hurt expression turns into a cold stare.

If looks could kill, then we would have both been gone already. My icy glare never leaves Jisoo, and her eyes never leave mine.

Hyuk, looking nevous puts his hand in between us and tries pushing us back from each other. "Hey, guys just calm down, we can fix this and"

I let out a laugh and turn sharply to him nearly screaming my next words.

"Fix this?! Who are you to even suggest something like this? May I remind you that you and your dirty friends here were all apart of your stupid bet that used me in it?"

He looks down, not able to answer my words.

Not even an apology.

I look at everyone here, none of them can even hold eye contact with me anymore. I catch eye contact with Chin-Hwa for a second and he quickly looks away into the distance.

Supressing my anger, I run my hands through my hair and speak my next words in a low threatening tone.

"Dont think you guys are much more superior, I can play this game too."

Chin-Hwa laughs and I glare and his bold move.

"Whats so funny?"

"Oh Areum, what are you going to do darling?"

I flinch at the word darling. Taking a big breath, I look at him dead on, speaking my next words carefully.

"Be careful babe, you'll never know what hit you."

I put emphasis on that word babe, using it in a mockingtone.

He tries to keep a straight face, but I can see the slight smirk on him.

Before I leave I scan the group one more time, taking in thier looks of confusion and shock.

I turn around to leave, and say one more sentence to them.

"I would watch my back if I were you, consider yourselfs warned."

Because i'm ready to strike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~