Chapter 20

Glory days and ways

Chapter 20

Areum POV

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up extra happy this morning. Yesterday was a productive day and I’m happy that I accomplished a lot.

I haven’t really talked to Chin-Hwa for a couple of days. I should probably send him a text! I roll over to my side and grab my phone. Tapping on his name in my contacts, I start typing a message.

A: Hey :) Sorry for not saying anything for a while, what are you doing today?

After sending the message, I put down my phone and head towards the washroom to freshen up. Today unfortunately, isn’t going to be as exciting as yesterday. Exam season is coming up very soon so today I must start studying, also I have dance tonight.

After I use the restroom, I change into a comfortable outfit for the day. I put on a pair of black tights and a white pull over sweater.

I shove my feet into my pair of slippers then make my way downstairs to grab breakfast. A delicious smell captivates me as I walk down the flight of stairs.

“Good morning Areum!”

I tilt my head up and find Min looking at me with a warm smile, on the other side of the kitchen is Donghyuk who is setting up plates on the table.

“What’s all of this?” I question out of curiosity.

“Ah well we decided to make breakfast today and we can hopefully all eat together!”

Oh great.

“O-oh uh sounds nice! What’s on the menu today?”

Min’s face brightens up and she moves to the side counter to show me all the dishes she created.

“Well first off, we have some scrambled eggs with bacon, toast, tea, cut fruit and a little bit of kimchi for your parents.”

“Wow! You really outdid yourself!”

She blushes and turns to Donghyuk. “Can you tell everyone that breakfast is ready?”

He nods his head and quickly makes his way upstairs.

“Areum can you put cups on the table please?”

Walking towards the cupboard, I grab as many cups as my hands could fit and set them on the table one by one. Soon, Donghyuk is back downstairs followed by Hana and my parents.

My mom gasps as she sees everything that Min made.

“Oh my! Min, this was too kind of you!”

“Ah this was nothing, I just wanted to thank you guys for everything that you have done for me and Donghyuk ever since we moved in here.”

“Oh, honey your welcome! We’re glad we could do it!”

She gives her a big hug and everyone else starts to take a sit, in which I follow. I must admit the food looks great. I take a little bit of everything, even the kimchi. Grabbing a fork, I dig in and eat my food.

“Min! This taste amazing! You have to teach Hana and Areum to cook like this!”

Min blushes. “Sure, I mean if you girls want to!”

Hana nods her head and I reply with just a simple smile not giving a definite answer. I glance towards the window and can see that the weather is starting to get quite cold. We have already entered the month of December, so this type of change is expected.

Once I finish my plate I quietly get up and rinse my dishes. But before I leave the kitchen, I thank Min.

“Thanks for the meal unnie.”

“Your welcome Areum! Why don’t you take some more?”

“I’m full, but thanks!”

With that, I turn around and make my way towards my bedroom locking the door behind me. It was good that I had a nutritious breakfast because I need to study hard core.

I sit on my desk and get all my utensils ready. Pencils, pens, notepad, laptop, and textbook. I tie my hair back so that it could be out of my face and not annoy me.

I don’t want to start, but I know I have too. Taking a deep breath, I stare and the words in front of me and try to focus.

Come on Areum! You can do it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven’t moved in hours and I desperately need a break. I have done a pretty good job already as I covered a lot of stuff for my English and Korean studies courses. I look at the special clock in my room and it reads 3:04.

Wow! Time goes fast!

Soon I’m going to have to prepare for dance class, so I decide to go eat lunch in the kitchen.

Knock, knock, knock.

Without even time for me to say “come in” Donghyuk enters with a plate of food. It has a small sandwich, some chips, mini carrots, and a water bottle.

“I figured you would be hungry after locking yourself in here studying for hours.” He says with a small smile.

“Donghyuk!”

His small but thoughtful action made me so happy I run towards him and give him a big hug.

He laughs. “I think that’s the most affection you have ever shown me!”

“Yah!” I smack his arm.

He looks surprised my sudden attack. “Is that how you treat someone you just made you food?!”

I don’t reply, instead I give him and innocent look while I munch on the chips.

“Thanks for the food oppa.”

“Hmm your welcome.”

“So, what are you doing today?”

He sits down on the edge of my bed and relaxes. “I think me, and Min might go on a picnic.”

I let out a soft giggle.

“Why are you laughing?”

“That sounds really cute!”

I smile when I bite into the sandwich. I recognise the taste of freshly cooked chicken. We continue to talk and laugh with one another before I realize how much time has passed.

“Omo! I have to get ready!”

“Oh yes, you have dance class today.”

“Thanks for the food!”

“Your welcome.”

“Now get out of my room!”

He shakes his head at the return on my attitude but leaves my room. I scramble around to find my dance bag and shove all my stuff inside. 

“Areum we have to leave now or your going to be late!” I hear my mom shout.

I think I’ve grabbed everything, looking around the room one more time my eyes widen as I see that I almost forgot my phone.

I haven’t been on it for hours. Unlocking it, my conversation with Chin-Hwa appears and there’s no new messages. He still hasn’t answered me, and the app is telling me that he read my message. I furrow my brows in confusion.

“Areum!”

Ignoring my phone, I make my way downstairs and slip on a pair of runners.

“What were you doing up there that took you so long?” My mom asks.

“Nothing, just lost track of time.”

We get into the car and I immediately pull out my phone again and stare at the conversation. I don’t want to seem like one of those crazy girlfriends but it’s just odd that he read my message and hasn’t answered in hours. Or maybe he hasn’t been on his phone for a while.

My last thought was immediately destroyed as I see that he just updated his other social media minutes ago.

He probably just forgot to answer me…

Right?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I comb my hair in the mirror and start to put my hair into two braids. I just finished changing into my dance attire. I’ve been running a bit late though, so I have to hurry up.

The change room door flies open, and Mina comes in looking flustered. We make eye contact and give each other a small smile. We don’t talk much but both take constant glances at one another.

Finishing my hair, I grab my bag and walk into the studio my eyes lighten as I see Chin-Hwa sitting with his friends. He lifts his head up and we make eye contact. I start to wave but he turns away quickly.

What the heck?!

“Alright class, how are we doing today?!”

I don’t even have a chance to talk to him because class is staring. Dammit!

“Today is going to be a skill working class, were going to focus on your flexibility, stamina and balance. We hired some other dance instructors to help you today with this so please go to your usual room with your usual groups.”

I only half hear what the teacher says. Instead my eyes are fixed on Chin-Hwa and his friends. They get up and walk towards the door. But just before they leave Chin-Hwa turns his head back and makes eye contact with me bearing a tiny smirk.

With that he disappears into the hallway.

“Areum!”

I turn around and see the girls giving me concerned looks.

“We have been trying to talk to you for nearly three minutes, are you okay?”

“I’m fine.”

I see the skeptic look in their eyes, but I don’t want them to press further.

“Come on let’s go to our room so we can start!”

Leaving them behind, I make my way to our assigned room. I see a petite young-looking lady with light brown hair sitting at a table on her phone. She notices me come in the room and bows.
“Aneyaseo!”

“Aneyaseo!”

The girls come in right after and they greet each other as well.

“Alright girls so my name is Soo-ji and I will be your instructor for the day. I hope you girls are ready because this is going to be tough.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Turn, turn, turn, turn, jump, tumble….and pose!”

I breathe heavily once I finish my pose. This was not an easy class.

“Alright ladies, you did well today, I hope you can  use the aspects that we learned in class.”

We thank her, then make our way to the change room. Quickly, we all change and sit at the main entrance waiting for our rides.

My ears immediately perk up once I hear the voices of Chin-Hwa and his friends making there way towards us. There laughing and shoving each other, making jokes with one another. But I wasn’t happy, Chin-Hwa was confusing me.

“Hey girls!” Says an overly happy Jung.

“Hey.”

I look at them and they all seem to be staring at me.

Weird.

They sit around us and immediately start a conversation with the girls, leaving me and Chin-Hwa. I turn to him and ask him what has been on my mind for past couple of hours.

“Chin-Hwa, why are you acting like this?”

He looks confused and looks me straight in the eyes. “Acting like what?”

Dam that eyecontact.

“Well first off, you just randomly left my messages on read for hours and then you barley acknowledged my presence at dance today.”

My sentences came out a lot meaner then I intended them too. But he doesn’t budge, instead an unreadable expression crosses his eyes and his little smirk returns.

“Are you really this worried over that Areum?”

His words make me feel stupid. Ugh! He’s right! Why did I worry over something little like this!

He leans down and plants a soft kiss on my check and looks me in the eyes.

“There’s nothing to worry about.”

His smirk turns into a warm smile and I can’t help but smile back.

Beeepp!

Chin-Hwa’s head perks up and he sees his mom’s car has arrived.

“My moms here, so I got to go, talk to you later Areum.”

He gives me a wink then turns around without another word and makes his way towards his parents car.

“Dam Chin-Hwa is real smooth.” Hyuk says while wiggling his eyebrows at me.

“Oh shut up.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s been a couple hours since I arrived home from dance. Min and Donghyuk still aren’t home so we decided to put the Christmas tree up. They started when I was gone but I got to pitch in a bit.

“Okay who wants to put the last ornament on? It’s the big yellow star!”

“Me!”

I cry out like a little child, but I don’t even care. I climb the latter and perfectly place the star on top. Clapping my hands in joy, I’m happy that the tree is finally done.

I race back upstairs and go to the corner of my room that had all the gifts there. I pick up all of them and slowly make my way downstairs so that I don’t drop any of them.

“Areum! You already did your shopping?” Asks my dad surprised.

“Yup!”

A sense of satisfaction rolls over me as I carefully place each one of the gifts under the tree. Every year on Christmas, my parents have a party and all the friends come over and we do a big gift exchange in the evening.

Once I finish placing my gifts, I head towards the bathroom to get ready for bed. I change into my pajamas, curl into my bed and reflect on my day.

I think about Chin-Hwa and how I completely embarrassed myself by misreading the situation. His slick moves never fail to amaze me. Everything is perfect but for some reason I don’t feel good.

I feel..

Uneasy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~