Loss

The Sun, The Moon and The Earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Under the sleeping oak tree, Suzy gathered with her friends. They were dressed in formal black. Her mother stood in the middle, her hands clasped together as she regarded the gravestone before them.

    In Loving Memory of Mr. Kitty-, 1999-2006.

Her mother placed a hand over Hongbin's shoulder. The boy cried the most, choking between his sobs, his face pink and pale all at once. Suzy also cried, but silently. She noted how Jongin stood uncomfortably at the other side of her mother. His hands were in his pockets. Next to him was Myungsoo, staring at the gravestone with solemn interest. Perhaps he was hoping that Mr. Kitty- would dig his way back out of the soil, and surprise them with his habitual meow. Perhaps he wondered what it was like to never feel the soft fur, and the warm little body that would rub against his arm if he was upset.

    Mr. Kitty-'s demise had an impact on them, and Suzy realized how fragile and quick life was. She did not think of death when her father passed away, but now, congregating with those who loved the adorable cat, she was afraid of what would happen if she should be the next one to be buried.

    Her hand reached for Hongbin’s, knowing that he was the closest to the cat. The boy did not bother to rub the gruel from his nose. His face was a rufescent mess of tears.

    Her mother cleared . “Mr. Kitty- was…very loved by everyone who knew him. He was a good friend, a great listener, and he was Hongbin’s beloved brother. We will never forget him. He may be gone, but I am sure he is happy… In cat heaven.” She rubbed the devastated boy’s shoulder. “Do you have anything to say, honey?”

    For a moment, the words did not leave him as he coughed from the painful sadness. “Mr. Kitty-…was my family. He and I were orphans. He was my only family.”

    Jongin turned away, his knuckles brushing his eyes.

Suzy’s grip tightened. Guilt succumbed her. It was cold, and not because the first snowflakes of winter swiveled over their heads. Plus, she was curious as to what was happening in Myungsoo’s head. They did not speak with one another since their argument in school. They did not acknowledge one another. It was Jongin that texted the boy, and told him about the tragedy.

    “Do you have anything to add to that?” Her mother asked the children.

    “I will miss his fluffiness,” said Jongin.

Myungsoo grunted, before he slipped away and ran down the hill. Suzy considered it strange that he would not say anything about Mr. Kitty-. Myungsoo had a way with words. Where was his eloquence when someone most needed it? Anger burned inside her. He ditched them when they needed him most. He could have at least stayed to help Hongbin come to terms with his grief.

    After the funeral, her mother treated them to some hot toffee pudding and chocolate milk. Jongin gorged down the food like a ravished animal. Hongbin did not touch his cake but kept stirring his straw round and round in his mug. Myungsoo stared into his milk, watching the liquid swirl in an endless circle. Suzy refrained the urge to condemn his silence. It would not help Hongbin if she roused a heated argument after Mr. Kitty-'s burial.

        They talked about the old days with the cat, how Hongbin was the first to rescue him from a tree, and how he had a personality of his own.

    “I hope he's happy, wherever he is, said Hongbin, with a wistful sigh.

“He's in heaven,” said Suzy. “It the happiest place that he can be.”

    Jongin slurped on his milk. “What's heaven like?”

The children glanced at the matron, as if she held the answers to all of their questions. The woman placed her spoon on the plate of untouched cake. “Heaven is your perfect world. It's a place full of happiness, a place where all good people go.”

    “Am I good person?” Jongin’s eyes were wide. Chocolate milk was evident on his downy mustache.

“Don't be silly, of course you are,” said Suzy. “We're all going to heaven.”

    “Will I see Mr. Kitty- in heaven?” For the first time, there was a hopeful gleam in Hongbin’s dark eyes.

“Certainly,” said Suzy's mother.

    “Does heaven even exist?”

The tone of the voice caused Suzy to jerk in her chair. She was not the only one who experienced shock. Myungsoo lifted his head to stare at them, with a gloomy countenance. His lips trembled. His eyes were rheumy but there was no sorrow on his sunken shoulders. It was an entirely different sentiment. One that Suzy could relate to.

    Anger.

“Does it exist?” he repeated, looking at them expectantly. “What proof do you have?”

    “Crikey!” Jongin exclaimed, uttering his favourite new word that he spluttered thanks to his obsession with Steve Irwin's shows. “Why

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter