When The Sun Embraced The Moon

The Sun, The Moon and The Earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Myungsoo thronged the empty house, a thick blanket covering his shivering form. His pyjamas stuck to him as he was heavily sweating from a fever. Everyone left to visit the city and the museum that day, but it was his tenth day with the flu. Ironically, his refusal to see a doctor stemmed from the fact that he believed in his own diagnosis. A flu should disappear with good diet and plenty of rest.

    Now if only he could will his mind to rest, that would be wonderful. Still, the others had scoffed him because he was adamant on not receiving any medical help. However, he was coming to the point where his energy drained.

    “You won’t survive this American flu,” Jongin claimed, with a vehement passion. “And don’t come near me, you fool. I don’t want to catch it off you. Stay back!”

And so, Jongin’s words only increased the distance between him and the others. With a cough, Myungsoo trudged to Hongbin’s room. The door was left wide ajar. He recognised one of Suzy’s favourite runners near the the threshold.

    “So she’s already moved in with him,” he said, through his grinding teeth.

“Is there something wrong with that?”

    Myungsoo gasped. Hongbin was at his desk, with his laptop wide open. The latter stared him at him with wide eyes, like a frightened little deer. But of course, Myungsoo should have known better. Hongbin was not as magnanimous as he made himself out to.

    Thief.

Again, that coiling guilt twisted his stomach into knots. How could he even associate his best friend, his brother, with such a degrading word?

    Hongbin twisted his chair. He motioned Myungsoo to enter. “I had the flu before, so don’t worry about me catching it. Come on in.”

He was always full of tact. Myungsoo always wanted to be more like Hongbin when it came to reading others’ emotions. The only way they disparaged was when they were angry. Hongbin’s anger flared like fire. It was strong, burning and it damaged those around them. Myungsoo’s was like ice. No one knew it happened until they were frozen.

    His feet were heavy when he bungled over to Hongbin, and ensconced on the edge of the bed. He could smell Suzy’s favourite perfume: a lily fragrance.

    “I’m sorry, Myungsoo,” said Hongbin. His voice was piercing in the throbbing stillness. “I wanted to run away from the past, but I wasn’t fast enough.”

    Myungsoo grunted, avoiding eye contact. “Why’re you sorry? You’re acting as if I have feelings for Suzy. To be clear, I don’t.”

He watched the colour flood Hongbin’s face. “Are you serious?”

    “You think I’m joking?”

“No, no, of course not, Soo. I just -- I thought you weren’t happy with -- you know…”

    He smirked, hoping it would alleviate the atmosphere. “I thought you knew me better than that, Hongbin. I’m just a bit shocked that two of my best friends are dating. You know, I don’t like to be a third wheel. But heck, if Jongin survived by himself than so can I.”

    With that, they both shared a laugh. It was still a nervous chuckle, as if they were treading foreign waters.

    “I’m so relieved,” said Hongbin. “I was afraid that the rest of your stay would be like this.” His eyebrows furrowed. “Are you sure you don’t want to see a doc? I know a really good one here.”

    “For the last time, I only need to eat healthy and have plenty of rest.”

“Will I make you a smoothie?”

    Myungsoo frowned. Silence.

Hongbin’s smile was so bright, that he was thrown off balance. Guilt swirled inside him. It was not easy to deceive someone you held dear to your heart.

    “I’ll take that for a yes.” He reached over for his crutch and limped out of the room.

Sighing, Myungsoo rubbed the back of his neck. It would take a miracle to erase the numbness he felt.

    A word caught his eye. He snatched the laptop. With a snarl, his fatigue faded and he stomped into the kitchen.

    “Jobs for a teacher? You can’t keep her imprisoned with you!”

Hongbin froze, his hand over the smoothie maker that was waiting to blend the fruits.

    Myungsoo waved the laptop, before settling it on the counter with a forced jerk. “She can’t fit in here. Are you crazy? Just because you isolated yourself here doesn’t mean you have to do the same with her.”

    “I don’t want to isolate her!” Hongbin’s cheeks burned red. “But I need her with me. You can’t understand that, Myungsoo.”

    He jabbed a finger into his chest. “No, you need to understand. Either you come back to Korea with her when it’s all done, or you let her go. But don’t cage her here in this strange place. She isn’t like you. She can’t adapt to something as big as America.”

    The silence that followed was almost slicing through his skin. Hon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter