Solar Eclipse

The Sun, The Moon and The Earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Have I packed the toilet roll?” Suzy must have asked that question for the umpteenth time. Her mother was just getting out of the car. The woman shook her head, a secret smile on her face.

    “For the last time, Suzy. I’ve put in extra rolls in your suitcase there.”

Suzy removed the three large suitcases she would be taking on the train to Seoul. Naeun and Myungsoo would be waiting for her at the other station to collect her. Her exams went well, and she had been offered a place to study science in the same university as Myungsoo. Naeun was studying English Literature in a neighbouring campus. The girl was ecstatic about her offer. She even said she would ask Hongbin if she could perform an Erasmus year in Boston, if possible. Suzy would be sharing an apartment with the siblings, as it was cheaper.

    She dragged her suitcases, her heart pounding within her chest. It was a new era for her, a new dawn. The sun was yet to rise, but she would not wait for it. She was afraid that she would miss the train that morning. Luckily, they arrived early, thanks to her mother’s tactical driving.

    Shivering in the morning’s frigid air, Suzy hopped from one foot to the other. It occurred to her then that she was leaving her mother behind. Not forever. Jongin was still there to check on the matron now and then. The boy had landed a place in a Business Studies in a local university -- shocking everyone who knew him. No one could guess what made Jongin study in the final weeks leading up to the major exams.

    The train’s whistle echoed from afar. The platform rumbled, signalling it’s imminent arrival. Suzy turned to her mother, and threw her arms around the older woman.

    Her mother kissed her forehead. “Good luck, my darling. Be strong always.”

“I’ll give you a ring everyday,” the daughter promised. “Keep up to date. And Jongin said he’ll call over once in awhile. I’ll make sure he does. Don’t forget to go for your daily walks. And don’t eat too much salty food. Make sure you lock the doors at night-”

    “Suzy,” the matron said, chuckling. “People would think you are my mother, and not the other way around."

The girl pouted, fighting the urge to not cry. “I’m just worried that you’ll be by yourself.”

    Her mother caressed her cheek. “I’ll be fine, my darling. I have people who care about me.”

Suzy tightened her embrace. “I’ll miss you.”

“We can call.”

     “And your food.”

“I’ve packed a lot of lunch.”

I’ll miss your presence the most, my dear mother. I’ll miss the tone of your voice. I’ll miss the times when you are there to give me strength. I’m off to start a new life, but you know my deepest secrets, don’t you?

The train arrived, sending a whoosh of hot air over the passengers. It took Suzy great effort to tear away from her mother’s grasp, and enter the train.

She then allowed the tears to fall once the train took for Seoul. She even sobbed loudly, ignoring the glares from other passengers. One old woman was kind enough to pass her a tissue, and some homebaked cookies.

“You know this train is taking us to our next destination?” said the old woman, her lips curling into her toothless gums. Her eyes were lost in a mass of wrinkles.

Suzy wiped her nose with the tissue, sniffling. The tears had run dry. “I know.”

“Ah, but you don’t know,” said the old woman. “The next destination is our fate. Imagine this train taking you to where you were always meant to go.”

Suzy blinked. “Seoul.”

“Not Seoul, girl, not Seoul. It is your fate. That’s where you are going. Even if you are on a plane to somewhere else. It is always going to your fate."

“My fate,” Suzy emulated, slowly.

The old woman gave an enthusiastic nod. “So be happy and excited, young girl. The future holds so many opportunities.”

The woman nodded off to sleep a few minutes later, a smile full of secrets visible on her wrinkled face.

 

It was not Suzy’s first time in Seoul. She had been in the metropolis before, but it dazzled her every time, as it did on her first time there. The buildings were large. There were so many crowds of people. She even spotted people who were not Korean. The dizzying streets of all colours. The aroma of food from every restaurant. The noise of cars rushing by. The city enlivened her senses to everything that happened within.

For a moment, she wondered how Hongbin must have felt when he first entered Boston. She still missed him, and she still checked his Instagram now and then. However, the pain had numbed now, as it was over a year since he left. She would also miss Jongin, as she would not get to see him until she returned home during the holidays.

A familiar voice screamed her name. Suzy grinned when she found Myungsoo and Naeun waiting for her at the station. Myungsoo perked a brow as he regarded her luggage.

“Did you really need to bring three of these?”

Suzy frowned. It was always like Myungsoo to poke fun at her life choices. “I’m a girl, Myungsoo, and I need many things.”

“You tell him, Suzy. That was the same thing he said to me when I came here,” said Naeun.

Myungsoo did not seem too happy. “I can’t believe I have to share my apartment with the two of you. I’ll be trapped between two women.” He shuddered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter