Glimmer of Light

The Sun, The Moon and The Earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In her final year in university, Suzy realized that she learned a lot about life. University not only helped a person gain a degree, but in that time, she learned more about herself then she ever did in the past. Having a friend like Sunyoung kept her grounded to reality, and because of that, she was not nervous around Myungsoo anymore. It also helped that Myungsoo had to move out of the apartment because he was finishing his clinical placements all around the country.

    There was also Woohyun for a distraction. The latter taught her not to push away those she loved. She did her best to improve her friendship with all of the people from her past -- this included Hongbin, who was as popular as ever with his travelling blog. They would often chat with one another on social media, and he even did a few video calls with her. Suzy was amazed with how much he changed. He had grown into a handsome young man, and he could pass as a foreigner if he ever returned to Korea. (But to her dismay, Hongbin had no plans on returning. Ever.)

    Jongin was doing well in his studies, which surprised everyone. He was still charming to hang around with, but he found a seriousness to him that amused Suzy. She enjoyed his company everytime she returned home from Seoul. They would spend a lot of days hanging about at their favourite corner with the ramen takeaway. Sometimes, they would stalk pictures of Soojung and Eunji, who were both studying in Japan.

    Just before her final year exams, Suzy decided to take an Erasmus to Indonesia, where she taught science inside an orphanage for girls and boys. Among the children, nostalgia overwhelmed her. Suddenly, she was plunged back into the past. In the hollow, noiseless memories, she saw her past unfold again. Myungsoo with his snappy mouth. Jongin with his silly jokes. Hongbin with his climbing skills. Mr. Kitty- with his compassion. Headmaster Junki with his stern complexion. Her mother, who was younger and happier. Her father, who scoured the heavens with his telescope. The orphanage standing proudly, with its vast orchards and magnificent fountain.

She had to run into her room, and then she cried. She wanted to share these thoughts with someone. In the end, she rang Naeun, and they chatted for a long while over the phone, reminiscing the days when they were still children.

 

    The sun beat against the rufescent mountain. The air broke into waves above. The azure sky rolled over his head, as vast as an ocean. Hongbin heaved upwards to catch another crook in his palm. The belt around his waist cut into his t-shirt. The stone was hot to the touch. He gritted his teeth as he heaved himself upwards. It was still a long way to the top of the mountain. He had another few steps. The rope from the top spared him his life. Anyone who had a fear of heights would faint if they examined the distance below.

    Sweat gathered all over his body. Beads dribbled down his forehead and down his neck. With another deep breath, he climbed upwards. Forwards. To the future. What was below was his past. And he had let go of that a long time away.

    “Come on, old pal,” he said, to himself. “You can do this.”

If he reached the top, at this valley of death. In the heart of the Grand Canyon. He would take an amazing photo, and share it with all his followers. They were the people who kept his adrenaline going.

An eagle cried from somewhere above. A warm, dry breeze rustled through his clothes. And with that breeze came a memory long forgotten. Hongbin recalled the day at the airport, and what happened to his heart. He remembered the girl that he kissed.

His foot slipped from the crevice. Gasping, he tried to grab the hanging edge of the precipice. His rope loosened and the world zoomed before him. His scream echoed as he was slammed against the mountain. Pain shot through his body. It took him many moments to catch his ragged breath. The pain would not go away to the point where tears fell from his eyes.

He tried again to climb, but his feet would not listen. The pressure only intensified the pain from his heels, and that which shot up his legs. Still, he persisted. It was amazing how the human mind could usurp the needs of the body. In no time, he hurled himself at the top of the mountain, and stared forlornly into the sky.

He tasted blood on his tongue, and the world undulated in his vision. There were dots in his eyes.

So Suzy has to be the end of me.

      I can’t feel my legs anymore.

              What kind of pain is this?

                       What’s happening to me?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter