He Saw The Universe

The Sun, The Moon and The Earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin watched the moon sleep behind the clouds. He had a glass of milk in his hand. His mind was elsewhere though, somewhere trapped behind that dimension they called the sky. He often found himself wandering in the labyrinth of his thoughts. Suzy and Myungsoo’s misfortune was still very surreal to him. It made him recall all that happened in the past.

    Sometimes, his childhood years were nothing but a blur. Maybe he squandered too much time chasing after girls. Then there was Sunyoung -- someone so different from him yet her every angle bewitched him completely and wholly. Yes, that amazing feeling that captivated him whenever he was around; it was something his friends never fulfilled. This need that she became as essential as breathing was to existence. Did not matter anyway.

But his friends...

Suzy was the one who introduced him  to Sunyoung, after all. Without Suzy, how could he decide on a future with Sunyoung?

“You’re still awake?”

Jongin glanced at Hongbin over his shoulder. He gave a weary sigh. “Just thinking.”

Hongbin’s dimples were prominent when he smiled. “Really? Never thought you were capable of doing that.”

Jongin scoffed. “That’s something Myungsoo would say.”

After a quiet chuckle, silence followed. It was as if speaking of the forbidden brought about fear and unsettling scepticism. He referred to Myungsoo in the conditional tense -- would that later become past? His heart was crippled by gutting sadness. However, a part of him was ready to let go, to end the eternal sorrow that kept away at their life.

“I’ve been thinking,” he said. “Did you ever find your family?”

Hongbin rubbed his neck, staring into the cloudy sky. “I figured some things were more important than finding out about my family.”

    He perked a brow. He was never good with words. That was always Myungsoo’s job. But someone had to take the stand. It was also Myungsoo’s job to bring their group of friends together, but Hongbin sacrificed a lot to take over that part. 

    “What’s more important than finding out about your true family?”

Hongbin faced him. Jongin realised how red and puffy his eyes were. “I’ve been chasing the impossible for so long,” he replied. “And I didn’t realise that my family is here, with you guys. And Suzy…” His voice trembled. His shoulders shook.

    In a quick second, Jongin caught him into a tight embrace.

So it was true.

    Hongbin was still in love with Suzy.


 

“I need to know where you’re taking me.”

    Myungsoo tried to rationalise what was happening to him. Mr. Kitty-’s tail swung as he stared. If cats had emotions, Mr. Kitty- seemed very irritated and temperamental. And sarcastic. Somehow the cat was almost identical to his own personality. A reflection of himself. Mr. Kitty- came to a halt. He released a frustrated sigh.

    “Go ahead kid. Tell me.”

Myungsoo inhaled. Strange enough, he felt no satisfaction in breathing. “You. This place. Me.” He spread his arms. “What’s going on? Am I...dead?”

    For a moment, Mr. Kitty- gazed at him with genuine sympathy. “Kid, there are some things that I can’t tell you.”

    “Of course you can! You can bloody talk!” His throat was raw. He recalled what happened before he woke up, and he knew that she who he cared for most in the world -- she must have been somewhere out there too.

“I can only talk to you because there’s no other way to communicate.”

    “Oh sure.” Myungsoo rolled his eyes. “If you could talk, I’m sure you’d change into a human or something too. What are you but a figment of my imagination?”

    Mr. Kitty- scoffed. “Sure, whatever. You were a smart kid, I remember. But when it came to faith, you were a loser.”

Anger boiled within him. For a moment, he wanted to laugh. Was he truly having an argument with a...with a cat?

    The cat his paw. “Anyways, put your skepticism aside right now. I’m taking you to Suzy.”

The sky was filled with light. His heart skipped a beat. “Lead the way then.”

    Mr. Kitty- smiled. “Good boy. It’s about time you asked less questions and just listened for once.”

That scene in the car. Myungsoo shook his head. What if they were truly dead? Why else was he here talking to Mr. Kitty-.

    “You’re not dead, by the way,” said the cat, as if reading his thoughts. “But if you don’t stop Suzy from walking into the light, you might lose her forever.”

His blood pounded in his ears. “What are you waiting for? Hurry up!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter