When The Heart Is The Sun

The Sun, The Moon and The Earth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The clock ticked, like the drumming of her heartbeat. Suzy squirmed in her bed. She was unable to sleep, and her confession to Hongbin replayed in her mind like a never-ending echo. It was snowing again outside, pall of white musk blowing against the window. It was a stark contrast to the darkness of the night. She had left all her belongings back in the city, and had texted Jongin to let him know that she was returning to Hongbin. She just did not tell him why that was.

    She supposed it was because she would finally start dating the first boy she ever fell in love with. Even now, the idea of him was like being drunk on wine. He just being alive and willing to take another chance at recovery, or even stealing kisses when Hakyeon would ram around like a mother goose, she became inebriated of his presence.

    Even now, in those silent, eternal hours of the night. The clock that continued to point out that time was passing, when she could spend it with him. Suzy took her pillow in one hand, and walked out. She wore one of his long shirts that ended just above her knees, because lucky her, she forgot to take a pair of pyjamas from the apartment.

    She waited outside Hongbin’s room, still contemplating whether it was the right thing to do. Clearing , she knocked on his door. He called her to come in, and she wondered if he was restless because of her. The news of their mutual affection astonished both of them. And she was certain that he was guilty about Lunafreya. For a strange reason, unknown to herself, Suzy was also guilty about their sudden decision to date one another. A feeling knawed at her like a wriggling worm. And that feeling coincided with the thought of Myungsoo.

    She entered his room, which was larger than hers. To her relief, the bed was a double. Hongbin the lamp next to it. His eyes were sleep-deprived, and his jaw slackened at the sight of her.

    “You can't sleep?” he asked.

She shook her head. He opened out an arm. With an elated rapture washing over her, she let herself get cozy next to him. Her head settled against his chest and his arm draped over her shoulder, his thumb caressing the bone.

    “Will we try your exercises tomorrow?” she said, shifting to stare at him.

A shadow crossed his features. “I don't think I can-”

    She hit his crown and he groaned. “Suzy! I'd appreciate it if you stop hitting me for once!”

“Look, I ordered you to listen to me. We'll be doing things my way.” She settled back into his one-armed embrace as he muttered under his breath at how cruel she was. She reached up to pat the area she jabbed. A smile formed across his lips, and his dimples enchanted her. She could poke them with her finger at this proximity.

    A comforting silence passed between them, despite the initial dispute. She had never shared a bed with a man in a long while, her one and only time was that night with Woohyun. Which she would rather forget.

    “The snow looks very pretty tonight,” she said.

    “Really?” Hongbin scratched his chin. “Hey, look at the ceiling. I need to show you something.”

    She pouted, not sure if she should let him take the lead in their conversations. However, because he had suffered her wrath for the past ten days, she allowed him to believe that she woudl listen for once. She stared at the ceiling, expecting a prank on his side. A tickle on her waist. A cheeky kiss, or perhaps a whack on her head. However, the plates on the ceiling parted, and skid to reveal a glassed roof. The snow flit across the black, inky sky, like a breeze that was shrouded in white mist. Suzy watched the scene in awe.

    “Wow.” She chuckled under her breath. “You are truly something, huh Hongbin?”

    “I wanted to make good use of the money left by my uncle.” He flicked the small remote in his free hand. “You never once asked me why I chose to move here.”

“What if I ask now?”

    “Let's not talk about it now.”

She masked her disappointment. It did not occur to her that there might have been a deeper meaning to his choice. It was true. Why America? Why Boston? She continued to survey the snowy mist above her. The white and shadows mingled into shapes for her imagination. They drifted in and out of light and darkness. No fear of time, or the minutes that passed.

    “We should check the stars on a clear night,” he said, mischief in his voice.

    Suzy blinked. Was that an invitation to return to his room from now on? She shifted to support her weight on her right side.

    “I'd like that.”

What a pity they could not watch a sunrise. It would hurt their eyes. He gave her an expectant look. Her hands found either side of his jaw, and she leaned in to kiss him. They experimented, slow, emotional, fleeting. Kind of like the whirling snow over their heads. They stole a few kisses, tracing the angles of their faces. She liked the sharpness of jaw, and the way he breathed against the pulse under her ear. Each moment only left her longing for more.

    Until his phone began ringing.

“At this time? Are you serious?” Suzy wanted to punch the caller across the phone if possible. Whoever they were, they ruined one of the best romantic moments in her life.

    A small gasp escaped Hongbin as he regarded the screen. “It's Myungsoo.” He gave her a bewildered expression, like a puppy who was caught doing something refutable.

    Suzy scoffed and pried his phone from from his hand. The same guilty feeling twisted her stomach into knots. With a single flick, the phone was switched off.

    “Myungsoo can wait. Let's just, finish what we started.”

“Wait, I don't think I should do that to him.”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter