Work

If Only

It’s been a month since they moved to America and they have been enjoying every single moment of it together. They managed to get a nice studio where they can live in. Instead of an apartment, they thought that they would rather have the open space because there is no need to have rooms, according to Minkyung of course.  It was a really nice modern studio. They actually designed it themselves. There was a soft, gray couch, a massage chair, a king bed, a dining table, and a 75 in TV. It was really modern, but also very simple. Because of the cleaning fairy, Minkyung, the studio is always clean.

 

It’s morning time and the girls are getting ready for work. Nayoung was preparing coffee, while Minkyung was getting ready. As Nayoung was making breakfast, Minkyung came over to the kitchen and hugged her from behind.

 

“Every time I see you here in the kitchen in the morning, it seems like we are married.” Minkyung whispered in Nayoung’s ear. Nayoung jumped and almost dropped the toast. Minkyung let’s go of her and Nayoung turns around with an annoyed expression.

 

“Yah! You almost made me drop this toast!”

 

“How? I didn’t do anything.”

 

“Yeah you did. You were whispering in my ear and you know that my ears are sensitive.”

 

Minkyung comes closer to Nayoung and puts her arms on the counter to trap her. She puts her face where their eyes are at eye level. Nayoung was turning red and her heart was fluttering like crazy.

 

“I didn’t know your ears are sensitive.”

 

“Y-yes. And your point is?”

 

“My point is I’ll be the judge of that.” Minkyung brings her face closer to Nayoung’s and bites her ear. Nayoung’s heart was pounding out of her chest, so she pushed Minkyung away from her.

 

“Hey! Why did you do that?”

 

“To see if your ear is really sensitive… and it is. Look, not only is your ear red, but your whole face is too.” Minkyung was laughing.

 

Nayoung was so done so she wrapped her arm around Minkyung’s neck and brought it down to her waist level.

 

“A-ah Ah that hurts Nayoung!”

 

“Well stop teasing me then you idiot.”

 

“I don’t see you that much so I can’t tease you that much anymore.”

 

“Even if we don’t see each other a lot, it doesn’t give you the right to tease me Minkyung.”

 

“Ooo you are using law in your sentences. Why didn’t you become a lawyer like me? We could’ve seen each other more often.”

 

“That is exactly why I don’t want to be a lawyer.” Nayoung continued to hurt Minkyung with her arm.

 

This was Nayoung’s and Minkyung’s morning. Always teasing and messing with each other. After their hectic morning, they went their separate ways to work. As Nayoung went to the parking lot of the hospital, her co-workers kept looking at her nice car. Nayoung has the latest BMW and it was customized version. Actually, she didn’t customize it, but Minkyung did. Minkyung is a really creative so she is in charge of designing things when she has time, whether it is at home or for her own entertainment. Nayoung came out of the car and when inside the hospital. As she came out of the locker room to wear her white coat, she was followed by her assistant, Sungyeon.

 

Sungyeon has been helping Nayoung with her rounds and simply try to get used to America as well. She is like Nayoung’s “go to” person when she is need of help at the hospital. The reason is because Sungyeon is very smart, talented, and quick minded, and it is exactly why Nayoung wants, so it works out for her.

 

“Nayoung unnie, you have to do 10 rounds today and make sure the patients are okay.”

 

“Alright, thank you. Did you do the paperwork I ask you to do by the way?”

 

“Oh yeah, here.”

 

Sungyeon gives Nayoung a packet full of information about her patients. “Thank you.”

 

“Of course.” Sungyeon receives a phone call from her cell phone as they were heading into the patient wards.

 

“Unnie. There is an emergency and they need a doctor quick.”

 

“Ok come on let’s go.”

 

This is usually how Nayoung’s day is. Super busy and no time to rest. Sometimes she doesn’t even eat lunch or go home.

 

~

 

Minkyung arrives at the courthouse and gets out. She also has a BMW and she customized it herself. However, instead of gray, it is white. She likes to match with Nayoung but not completely. When she arrives at her office, she has a load of paperwork to do. The stack of paperwork is like 3 feet tall. She sighs and says that this is the life of a lawyer. As she was doing her work, a person comes in to be defended from an accusation. In her mind, she thinks that this guy is shady, but of course as a lawyer, you have to try to listen to the person no matter what.

 

“So what is your problem sir?”

“I have been accused for ually harassing a woman.”

 

“Uh huh. Okay, so what is your side of the story.”

 

“She was actually ually harassing me. She started touching me and tempting me to go do it with her.”

 

“Are you sure it wasn’t you?”

 

“O-of course not. I’m innocent. Then as I was trying to kiss her, she pushed me away and called the police saying I’m harassing her.”

 

“Okay sir. I’ll try my best to defend you then. See you at court.”

 

The guy left and Minkyung was pulling her scalp hair. “GOSH WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU MEN!! IDIOTS!!!”

 

Minkyung was then researching and trying to figure out what happened. She was looking at the CCTV at the place the woman was being ually harassed, and it turns out the guy was lying, just like what she thought. She put it in a USB and left her office. Minkyung went to the prosecutor's office to discuss this case. She knocked and went inside.

 

“Hey Yebin!”

 

Oh Minkyung Unnie! Come in. Have some cofee.”

 

“Haha thanks.”

 

“Soo what brought you here.”

 

“Oh yeah, have you received a case recently.”

 

“Yeah, something about a woman being ually harassed?”

 

“Yup. Here is the evidence.” Minkyung slides the USB on the table.

 

“You know you are suppose to defend your client right?”

 

“Yeah, but I hate guys who lie about ually harassing women so.”

 

Yebin chuckled and drank some coffee. “Of course you don’t. Okay, I’ll try my best to put that guy in prison then. Anyways, how is it in America so far? It’s only been a month right?”

 

“Yeah. Actually, since I was put to work right away, I didn’t have time to go around and explore.”

 

“What?!? You should! I’ll take you around sometime.”

 

“Yeah sure, when we have our day off. Anyways, I have to go back to the office. I have a lot of paperwork to do.”

 

“Ok. See you tomorrow at the court.”

 

Minkyung left the prosecutor's office and went back to hers.  As she went back, she saw more paper being stacked on her pile. She sighed and decided to take a break. She called Nayoung to see what she was doing.

 

“What?”

 

“Wow Nayoungie. You couldn’t say hello or hi?”

 

“Uh no. I’m busy right now.”

 

“Oh doing rounds?”

 

“Yeah. Did you need something?”

 

“Ah no, just wanted to say hi and that I miss…”

 

Nayoung cut her off and said, “Sorry Minkyung, I’ll call you back. There is an emergency. Talk to you later. The call ended.

 

“...you.”

 

Minkyung sighed and went back to work. Throughout the day, she was just doing work and listening to her client’s complaints.

 

~

 

At the end of the day, Minkyung went home and grabbed some dinner. She called Nayoung to see if she wanted to eat anything.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Nayoung, do you want anything to eat for dinner?”

 

“Ah sorry. I won’t be able to go home today. There has been a lot of patients coming in. Just eat without me okay?”

 

“Alright.”

 

“Minkyung?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Just because you have the house to yourself, doesn’t mean you can do whatever you want, got it?”

Minkyung chuckled. “Yes mom.”

 

“Alright, I have to go now. See you tomorrow. Don’t burn down the house!”

 

“Yes yes. Bye.”

 

The call ended and Minkyung went to MCdonald to eat dinner. She liked their burgers. After she got a take out, she went back home. When she got in, she changed and then ate, while watching TV. As she was eating, she didn’t realize how cold and lonely it was at the studio. Minkyung washed up afterwards and went to bed. She missed having Nayoung at home, in bed. It was cold and lonely. Minkyung didn’t know that she liked Nayoung this much.

 

Haihai! I have brought you guys another chapter of “If Only.” I hope you guys enjoy this chapter. This is technically a background check on what it is like at their jobs. Comment down below on what you guys think of the story so far. Thank you.