Start!

If Only

As Minkyung came home from work, the first thing she hears is…

 

“Minkyung! Can I have $100?”

 

Minkyung was controlling her expression as her mom comes down the stairs. Her mom was wearing a nice floral outfit that looked really expensive. She was wearing pearl earrings and a gold necklace. Her mom looked really expensive.

 

“Mom, why do you need $100? You have everything already.”

 

“I know, but I’m going out with some of my friends and they are expecting me to pay.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Hmm because they know that my daughter has a lot of money.” Minkyung mom’s squishes her cheeks and grins at her.

 

“No mom. I’m not giving you the money.” Her mom grew in anger. “What did you say to me?”

 

“I’m not giving you money. I could’ve been saving that money for myself, but instead it all goes to you and dad.”

 

“So what? You are our daughter and you are suppose to be working to give us money! That’s the purpose of you living in this stupid world!”

 

Minkyung’s heart tore into pieces when her own mother said that. She ran to her room and packed her stuff. As she was packing her stuff, she was remembering all the hard work that she has done. Minkyung worked really hard and stayed up for almost a whole week just to pass an exam. Now that her own mother was saying that she did all those stuff for herself, and not for Minkyung, Minkyung’s heart was deeply hurt. For 7 years, Minkyung has been living like that. Mom and dad always asking for money, to bail them out of trouble, and to make sure that they are happy. However, now that Minkyung found out her mom’s true feelings, she wants to leave and stay away from them.

 

Minkyung brought down her luggage, which has everything she needs in it. As she was heading downstairs, her mom was trying to plead her to stay.

 

“I’m sorry! I didn’t mean any of that. I won’t ask for money anymore! Don’t leave!”

 

“And you’ve told that how many times already mom? You still haven’t changed. Don’t call me, find me, or even look at me ever again!”

 

Minkyung let’s go of her mom and slammed the front door. Her mom was sobbing on the floor. Minkyung went to her car and quickly drove off. She didn’t know where to go, but she will figure it out along the way.

 

~

 

Nayoung visited home after a few weeks due to being busy at the hospital. As she went into her room, she saw many bills on her table to the point where she can’t even find it. Nayoung looked through it and she saw many receipts that she owed. Nayoung sighed and went downstairs where her parents was at.

 

“Mom, Dad, why are there so many bills on my table?”

 

“I thought you would like to know how much we spent on your card.” her dad said while munching chips.

 

“Yeah, so we left it on your desk.” her mom then said.

 

“So you made me pay for all your junk?”

 

“It’s not junk honey. It’s what we need.” her mom replied.

 

“Seriously? You need to buy chopsticks that has a fan on it just to cool your food?”

 

“Yeah! I can burn my tongue.”

 

Nayoung was tired of her parents always buying useless things. They don’t even use it either. She was mad that her parents always had to buy so many things and didn’t even use their own money.

 

“... I am leaving.”

 

“Ok dear, where are you going though?”

 

“Away from you people.”

 

Nayoung went to her room and packed her stuff. She didn’t want to deal with her parent’s immaturity anymore. She was tired of it all. Nayoung went downstairs and headed to the front door. She saw her parents on the couch just watch TV and counting their money. Nayoung despised them. She left home.

 

Nayoung was driving to her work and decided to stay there for a bit, until she figures out where to live. As she was heading to her office, someone was calling her. It was Minkyung.

 

“Hello Minkyungie?”

 

“...Nayoung…” Minkyung was quietly sobbing.

 

Nayoung sat down in her office. “What’s wrong Minkyung?”

 

“I… left… home… I’m tired of everything, of my parents.”

 

“....”

 

“Nayoung?”

 

“I left home as well. Where are you?”

 

“At a restaurant.”

 

“Ok, I’ll meet you there.”

 

Nayoung drops off her luggage in her office. She went back into her car and drove to the restaurant. As she paid the guy to do her valet parking, she sees Minkyung’s head down on the table. She quickly heads inside and told the front desk someone is already waiting for her.

 

“Minkyung.”

 

“Nayoung!” Minkyung got up and went to hug Nayoung.

 

“It’s okay. Everything is going to be alright.” Nayoung pats Minkyung’s back.

 

They let go of each other and sat down. As they were ordering food, they were venting out to each other about their parents. It was a conversation full of rage, hatred, and tiredness. Once they finished, there was silence at the table. They were thinking about what happens now.

 

“Do you have anywhere to stay at the moment?” Nayoung asks.

 

“No. I mean I could get a hotel, but my parents will know about it.”

 

“Well you can stay at my office for now.”

 

“Thanks~ But what should we do though? We can’t stay in your office forever, our parents will find us.”

 

“Well I was thinking of moving somewhere far away, but before we do, we should change our number and our credit cards.”

 

“How about our jobs?”

 

“Well we can ask for a transfer.”

 

“Then where would we transfer to?”

“... How about the US?”

 

Minkyung was thinking about moving to America. She could do a lot of stuff there and even start new. It was her “American Dream.”

 

“Let’s do it.”

 

 

Note: Hello Readers! I hope you enjoy this 1st chapter of "If Only." In a few days, we will find out how it will be like for Minkyung and Nayoung in America. Until next time! Bye~