Friends?

If Only

“Stop moving.” said the stranger.

When Minkyung heard the person’s voice, she knew who it was. She freed herself from the person’s arm and turns around. “Yebin? What are you doing here?”

“What are YOU doing here? I thought you were going to go shopping?”

“...I am.”

“Sure looks like it. If you are going to stalk them, you should do it right. First of all, you don’t have a disguise. Everyone will be able to tell who you are. Second of all, I don’t think you should ignore her at all. Spend as much time with her while you can.”

“What? Why? You were the one who told me in the first place to ignore her so she’ll come back to me! Now you are telling me to stop?”

“I know. That was until I overheard her conversation with Kyulkyung.”
“What conversation?”

The tall and the short one went to a restaurant and ate lunch together while Yebin was explaining how she also followed them around while they were shopping. From all the stores that Nayoung and Kyulkyung were talking about,, she was overhearing their conversation.

“I think Nayoung might go back to Korea.” Yebin says.

“..what?”

“It seems like Kyulkyung was trying to convince her to come back and how her parents are very sorry and misses her.”

“No. She can’t leave. We just got here.”

“I know, but we don’t know for sure yet.”

Minkyung was feeling guilty and sorry for being such a bad friend. She didn’t want Nayoung to go. She always wanted to be there for her, despite the fact that they couldn’t be official.

“I’ve got to talk to her.”

~

Minkyung was in the hotel room, waiting for Nayoung. She didn’t know whether to directly ask her about it or what, but if she did, then Nayoung will find out that Minkyung has been following them around. She didn’t know what to do. It was late at night and Nayoung finally came to the hotel room with lots of shopping bags.

“Hi.” Minkyung said.

“Hey.” Nayoung replied.

“It seemed like you went all out for shopping. Not sure if we can fit all that in the car.” Minkyung chuckled.

“Hmm.” Nayoung smiled, barely.

Nayoung was setting her stuff down and grabbed her pajamas. She went into the bathroom to wash up. Minkyung was thinking that it is probably still awkward between them, but she didn’t want it to be like that anymore. When Nayoung came out of the bathroom, Minkyung asked her if they could talk. They sat down on the bed and faced each other.

“So what did you want to talk about?” asked Nayoung.

“U-uhm, so how was your day with Kyulkyung?

“It was good, but I’m pretty sure you know how it went.”
Minkyung was confused, “What?”

“I know that you and Yebin were following us.”

“H-how?”

“Well, you didn’t have a disguise and you are really tall, so it is easy to spot you.”

Minkyung was internally getting mad at herself and calling her stupid. Nayoung then chuckled. She patted Minkyung’s head.

“Before I came here, Yebin told me your plans, about how you were going to ignore me and wait until I realize that I need you in my life.”

“...Yebin. I-I’m sor…”

“No I understand. I’m sorry I made you feel that way. I know that I hurt you a lot and that I couldn’t make it official with you.”

“No. Don’t say that. It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have rushed it on to you so easily like that without considering your feelings.

“Well you do know my feelings anyways…”

Nayoung and Minkyung kept quiet at each other while staring into each other’s eyes. It was getting kind of awkward so Minkyung asked a question.

“Since we are on this topic of seriousness, I have a question.”

“Hmm?”

“... Are you really going back to Korea?”

“Uhm. Where did you hear that?”

“Yebin overheard your conversation with Kyulkyung.”

“Oh… Maybe.”

“But why? There is nothing for us to gain over there. Our parents ruined everything for us and made us miserable. You want to go back to that?”

“I know what my parents have done, but Kyulkyung said they are sorry and are living better lives now.”

“So you are just going to leave me?” Minkyung said in a low tone.

“I don’t know yet… will you come with me if I go?”

“No. I can’t go back. I like it here, when it was just you and me. Not our parents.”

“Minkyung…”

“Nayoung, I was burdened by the amount of pressure my parents wanted from me. I don’t want to relive that ever again.”

“Ok, I’m sorry I asked.”

Nayoung went to bed and fell asleep. She didn’t feel like arguing with Minkyung anymore. She thought it was pointless. Minkyung sighed and rested her face into her hands. Everything is falling apart between them too.

The next day, they went back home. They went back to their normal, daily routine, but Minkyung and Nayoung never talked again. It was just simple conversations, nothing more. They weren’t the same. However, one day, when Minkyung arrived, Nayoung’s stuff was all gone