Destiny

Serendipity and Zemblanity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Destiny - (noun) event that inevitably happen in the future

 

When Jihoon first saw it, he thought it was just imagination or some props made by his teacher in elementary, but as days go by it seems like no one is noticing it, it is only him who can see those red strings connecting one person to another. It is a red string that is connecting two people, the red string is tied on their left ring finger and it is adjusting to their distance, no matter how far they can be. One day, Jihoon got curious so he asked his mother on their way home after class, what is the meaning of the red strings that connect one person to another and his mother said that the red string is the symbol of destiny, it is the one that connects one person to his or her fated partner. No matter how far or how entangled the string may be, it will never be cut off.

“Does that mean that I am connected to someone too, mom?” Jihoon asked.

“Everyone is connected to someone, and everyone has their soulmates and destined partners... but not all of them end up together...”

“Why mom?” Jihoon asked.

“Because sometimes it is good just to stay soulmates...”

 

~

 

It was during his auntie’s wedding when Jihoon realized what his mom said is true, that not all those who were connected by the red strings are ending up together, most people don’t. For example, when Jihoon attended his auntie’s wedding, his auntie’s red string was connected to her girl best friend but she ended up marrying the guy which is not connected to anyone. Jihoon thought about it, the only thing that can make the red string pull apart is the ideals of the society.

“Mom?” Jihoon said.

“Yes?”

“Mom... her strings... it is not attached to that guy,” Jihoon said.

His mom smiled, “Sometimes it may hurt... but we need to keep quiet and let everything be.”

 

~

 

It was during his 2nd year in middle school when Jihoon noticed and realized that he is not the only one who has a weird ability, he first noticed it when Kim Donghan, his best friend started saying weird things about their teacher.

“What do you mean she will get into a car accident?” Jihoon said as he ran after Donghan.

Donghan kept his pace, “I saw her, she will cross the street and will get hit by the truck, and we need to hurry.”

Jihoon thought it was really weird, especially since it was the first time he saw Donghan cared so much. But when they arrived at the crossroad, it was all too late. Donghan and Jihoon both panting because of running, but Donghan fell on his feet and Jihoon can’t believe it. All Donghan said when they were running are all true.

“She seems young.” The people around were talking around. “She got hit by a truck, how irresponsible for the driver to run away.”

Jihoon looked at their teacher’s body being carried to the ambulance. “Donghan... how did you...”

“It’s too late...” Donghan said. “I’m late again.”

 

~

 

When Jihoon wanted to talk about Donghan, he was welcomed by the news that Donghan transferred to other schools already, it was due to their teacher’s death, their teacher was said to Donghan’s cousin and she is the one providing him home but now that she is gone, Donghan was forced to go back to his hometown and once again Jihoon was all alone.

“Kim Donghan said that he really had a great time with all of you, but he won’t be with us anymore, since his cousin, one of our faculty, died in a car accident.” The teacher informed them.

Jihoon kept quiet, it was hard for him, Donghan is one of the people he wanted to be with. Donghan is his best friend.

 

~

 

Jihoon was all alone until he met Park Woojin, Lee Daehwi, and Bae Jinyoung. At first it was Daehwi’s idea to let Jihoon join them, but eventually, it became a habit that the four of them will eat lunch together, be a team in science and PE activities and hang out during weekends. With that, the four of them became best friends. Maybe not long after that, Jihoon discovered that Woojin, Daehwi, and Jinyoung are like him too, they also have special abilities that are not normally seen in other people. Park Woojin, who has enormous strength, Bae Jinyoung, who has the power to materialize anything he writes on his body and Daehwi, who can control the gravity.

“So you can see the strings of fate?” Daehwi asked. “Isn’t it romantic?”

“I think not all the time...” Jihoon remembered the cases he encountered back then, most of them ended up not getting married to their destined partner because they are scared or because they don’t want to accept it.

Woojin noticed Jihoon’s sudden changed of expression, “How about we go out for today?” the three looked at him, “We are going to meet my friend.”

“You have other friends besides me, Donghyun and Youngmin-Hyung?” Daehwi asked.

“I met him when I went back to my hometown, he was on vacation,” Woojin said. “He’s a city boy.”

“City boy?” Jinyoung asked.

 

~

 

The four of them are waiting at the coffee shop near the bus station since Woojin’s friend came from his school which is in the other city so they decided to meet at the coffee shop. Daehwi, who doesn’t know that Woojin has other friends, asked him why they are going to meet today, and Woojin replied with a smile.

When they heard the bell, three young boys went inside, Woojin got up and raised his right hand, one of the three boys noticed him and told the others, they all went to their table.

“Hello!” Jinyoung, Jihoon, and Daehwi were surprised when a young boy, around their age, maybe, greeted them with a very bright smile plastered on his face, and he is not alone, he had 2 more friends next to him and to think that they are also shining so bright. They all wear the same uniform, so it must mean that they all came from one school, which is amazing because the three of them are shining.

Woojin’s friend guided the other two and went to the table where Woojin, Jihoon, Daehwi, and Jinyoung were seated. And now that it is closer, Jihoon, Daehwi, and Jinyoung find them bright.

“Is he Woojin’s friend?” Jinyoung whispered.

“I never knew Woojin can even have bright friends, bright meaning their character and appearance,” Daehwi said. “Well, aside from us, they are bright. Their visuals are so on point.”

“We did judge Woojin too early.” Jihoon side commented.

Woojin looked at the three of them and the three of them just smiled, Jihoon noticed that one of them is looking at him and he doesn’t even know why. “This is Hyungseob, he is my friend and they are his friends, Justin and Euiwoong.”

“Hello,” Euiwoong said Euiwoong seems to be that diligent student who is always on time and gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter