I met someone

HIATUS - The Seoul Institute

Maybe the vibration of the phone on the nightstand is not the best way to wake up in the morning. It was Choi Minho's opinion too, and he started to growl with closed eyes, and he reached aside with his long arm to get the mobile. He could almost get it, and his fingertips touched it, but then he felt movement on his body.

Taehyung was sleeping in peace on him, hugging his torso. He did not want to wake him up, so he carefully removed the boy's arms from himself, and Taehyung turned to his other side. In this way Minho could easily get the phone, but by the time he put it to his ear it went silent. Typical. Thought about it, and ran his fingers through his dishevelled hair.

He saw Zoe's name on the screen, and he started thinking what could have happened in the office. The man left the bed, put his boxer shorts on, and with the phone he left the bedroom.

As a first step he turned the coffee machine on then started to make the cocoa, while he put the phone between his ear and his shoulder, and after two beeps he heard Zoe's voice.

"Don't you think you forgot something?"

"Good morning to you too, Zoe."

"Minho, I'm not kidding. You promised something to the boss a few days ago, do you remember?"

"To Park Hyungsik? Hm..." leaned to the counter, and tried to remember everything what happened in the office. "Oh... ."

"Exactly, as you say. But... don't worry. I gave him the report a few minutes ago."

"What... but... why?" Minho was surprised, and he almost dropped the little spoon what helped him to mix the cocoa.

"You already made him upset last time, and I guess you still haven't visited him in his office. At least now he won't hate you because of the report."

"Okay, and... thank you. You just saved my life."

"Hm... only your job."

"You know it's the same to me."

"Don't be late." He knew from the girl's voice that she was smiling then she hung up.

How could he forget about something important like this? And why did not his boss warn him immediately? Oh, obviously he was waiting for Minho to realize his mistake, so he can scold him, and Minho knew it will happen soon.

The day did not even really start, and Minho already felt awful. He took a mug for the coffee, but he frowned, when he saw the machine could not give more than a few drops.

"I can't believe it" sighed and rather turned the machine off before it could have been worse.

He forgot about the promise he made to his boss, and now the coffee machine was broken. He had no idea what will happen to him today, but he did not have much mood to leave his apartment.

"Hyung..."

"Hm?"

In the middle of the bad news he completely forgot that he was not alone in his home. He looked back above his shoulder, and he immediately calmed down, when he saw as Taehyung approached him with all of his clothes on.

"Is everything okay?"

"Sure, just... office stuff... and I have to buy a new coffee machine. Do you want something for breakfast?" gave the mug of cocoa to him.

"It'll be enough, and I have to go home anyway. I didn't tell anybody that I'll be here."

"Okay, I get dressed and I'll take you home."

"You don't have to, just go to work. I'll walk. It's not dark outside" winked the younger, what made Minho laugh.

"I won't convince you, will I?"

"You will never convince a shadowhunter" put the empty mug into the sink, and started to clean it.

For some reason nothing wanted to work. Minho could not avoid the morning traffic jam, and he was secretly happy that Taehyung chose to walk home, because it was faster than Minho's car now.

After fifteen minutes it was like the traffic jam was gone, and Minho could go faster with his car. Going on the road his fingers were dancing on the steering wheel to the rhythm of the music, and he was watching the buildings around him. They became more and more familiar, and although he was driving on this road almost every day there was something different.

In front of a restaurant he saw a familiar man, who was writing something on a board what was before the entrance of the place. Minho's fingers stopped the movements and they wrapped around the wheel, while he was watching the young man. His long hair covered his back until his scapula. He finished the writing, because he straightened up and adjusted his big, gray sweater.

Minho shook his head and fastened the car up. But he could not help but looked at the rear-view mirror, where he saw three strangers as they approached the restaurant.

After he heard the whistle Taemin tried not to react to it. He wiped his hands in the cloth what he took out from the restaurant, and he decided to go back to the building, where was the shining Open sign.

"Are you already open?"

It was about his work place so Taemin pulled himself together, counted to five, relaxed his fisted hands then with a kind smile he turned to the three men.

"Yes, and as soon as you're sober I'll give you a great breakfast."

Taemin could smell the scent of alcohol even in the street. It seemed the three strangers did not like this sentence because they murmured something to each other then one of them stepped forward, grabbed Taemin's wrist, and pulled him closer.

"Pretty, isn't she?" studied the waiter, thoroughly, and turned to his friends for confirmation. "She's a little bit flat, though..."

So it was about that again. Taemin got used to it, and sometimes he could deal with it kindly, but now it was three drunk men, and the younger did not have the mood to tolerate them.

"I'm a guy, you dickhead!" escaped from the man's strong fingers, and he wanted to go back to the restaurant, but the stranger pulled him back by his upper arm.

"Is there a problem? I don't think drunk costumers can get anything in any restaurant."

All of them turned to the way of the voice. The strangers first looked at each other then back at the tall man in front of them. The spokesman, still holding Taemin, stepped out to be closer to the person who disturbed them.

"Who are you? His boyfriend? Or... his boss? How much do you want for an hour?"

"Half an hour." The shorter one rectified, standing behind his friend, when he saw the anger in the stranger's eyes.

"What about a night in jail?"

They raised their eyebrows, but Minho wrapped his fingers around Taemin's arm, and pulled him next to him, so he could be farther from the gang. When the younger was safe Minho took his badge out from his jacket's inner pocket, and he showed it to the men.

They murmured something between each other, cleared their throats, and maybe one of them even said sorry then they turned around and waved to a taxi.

Taemin could only sigh with relief, when the car disappeared with them, and Minho felt as all of the air left the younger's lungs. He realized he was still holding the other, gently, so he cleared his throat and stepped away.

"Thanks."

"I just... I was in my car, when I saw... so you're lucky." Minho stammered and looked around in the street, like he wanted to be sure nobody was watching them.

"Yeah, I'm lucky." Taemin repeated and adjusted his sweater. "I just opened the place, don't you want something?"

"Well..."

"Come inside, I don't have any guests now."

Minho watched as the waiter went to the restaurant, and entered through the door what he let open behind himself. The elder took a deep breath, put his hands in his jeans' pockets, and followed the other.

After he closed the door he saw as Taemin got rid of his gray sweater what hid a white shirt. His light brown hair fell evenly on the white material, and Minho noticed those blue locks that he saw last time too.

"Did you drink coffee at home?" Taemin was curious, and he made a loose bun from his hair on his nape, so some locks stayed around his face.

"Actually my coffee machine doesn't work, so I thought I should drink one in the office."

"I can make a better coffee than the one you would drink in your office. 'Wanna bet? Don't say anything if I'm right" tied the apron around his hips, and with a smirk he looked at the man, standing at the other side of the counter.

Minho bit his bottom lip, and made an awkward laughter, so Taemin took it as he was right, and he started making the coffee. Meanwhile the detective sat up on the bar stool, and resting his elbows on the counter he started to play with a toothpick.

"Until then... here" put the menu before Minho, and turned back to the coffee machine ", have a breakfast."

"The coffee will be enough."

"You can take it with you."

"I..."

They heard the new guests' voices from the door, so Taemin approached them with two menus in his hand, when he saw which table they chose. Minho carefully look back above his shoulder, and saw as the young man welcomed the girls with a kind smile, and after a little conversation they told the waiter what they want.

Taemin went to a little window, where he rang a bell, and put his note down. He walked back to the counter, and finished Minho's coffee. He opened the mini fridge's door what was inside of the counter, took a piping bag, and decorated the hot drink with whipped cream, sprinkling with cinnamon before he gave it to the detective.

"Don't worry, this time I didn't put rum in it." Taemin calmed him, and started making the two fruit teas.

"Can I ask you something?"

"About your coffee?" Taemin asked back without looking at the man.

"No..."

"Wait a minute, I'll take the teas to them. And your coffee will get cold."

"Oh..."

Taemin put the teas on the table, when he heard the ring, and the waiter could take the breakfasts too to the guests then told them to enjoy their meals.

"So, what is it?" Taemin leaned to the counter, curiously, blinking at the man, who took his gaze away from the other's face.

"About... what happened before... was it the first time?"

Taemin did not expect a question like this, but he did not even have to think about it to know the answer. To make himself busy Taemin cleaned the working counter that reached until his waist.

"Usually I can handle it well."

"Really? I didn't notice it."

"Believe me, I can protect myself" told him still with a nice smile, but it did not calm the detective down. 

"Are you sure?"

"Look, I can do a lot of things. Just because you're more muscular and you have a shiny badge maybe I could have solved this problem better than you."

Minho really doubted that, but the man was talking with a lot of confidence, so he had to smile and nod.

"Okay" lifted his hands up as a defence ", then next time I'll just watch you from the distance."

"Oh, then I can report you to the police because of peeping. It's better if I check the bathroom before showering, don't you think?"

He did not think about the meaning of his words, but Taemin found it, and the elder felt embarrassed, and he had no idea how should he get out of this situation.

"Anyway... if anything happens, I give you the number of my office" took a pen out of his jacket, and wrote the numbers down on a white napkin then gave it to Taemin." If you need the police, just call this number, alright?"

"Okay, maybe you won't be a Peeping Tom in this way." The waiter joked again, and Minho knew it is useless to say anything.

"I have to go" drank the last drops from his cup after he saw the time on the clock. "My boss is already mad at me, I have to talk to him."

"Take him a coffee." Taemin told his idea.

"What?"

"I'll make a coffee to go. And you will take it to him."

"I don't know... it's like when you know the date will be , so you won't let the other order any drink, because they will pour it onto your face. And this coffee will be hot."

"Yes, but I am making it, so at least it's gonna be delicious" searched a paper cup from the cupboard.

He knew it had no use to argue with the waiter, so he just took the two coffees' price out, and put it down on the counter. He saw as Taemin reached for the paper cup, automatically, pushed the button, took the empty cup from the counter, and put it into the sink then stepped back to the coffee machine.

"If you give this to him before you leave his office it has a little chance he will pour it on you" said Taemin while he gave the warm paper cup to him.

"Thanks for the idea. Then... have a nice day."

"Don't let him fire you... and if it happens, you know where you find the best coffee with rum."

Was it a flirt? Minho could not find it out, but he knew he should not say anything, so he just nodded and left the restaurant.

He thought he will never arrive to the police station. Most of the time he got a red light on the road, and maybe Minho did not swear that much in the past year than on the way to his work place. He hurried in the corridor, panting, and quickly looked into his own office, where Zoe was sitting with some paperwork, and Dmitrij was on the phone. He knew it is better if he does not bother them, so he turned around, and knocked on the door where he saw his boss' name on it.

He did not have to wait that much, he almost immediately heard the man's voice from inside, so he took a deep breath, adjusted his necktie, and entered the office.

The room was cleaner than Minho thought, and everything had its own place. He did not want to compare to the office where he and his two co-workers were working. His boss seemed really busy above a folder, and Minho was afraid he disturbed the man in the middle of something important.

"Which one of them told you? Dmitrij or Zoe?" asked, not looking up from the papers.

"I brought you coffee." Minho quickly changed the topic, and put the paper up on the desk. 

"I already drank a terrible, bitter office coffee, so you can keep that" leaned back in his chair, still reading the papers he was holding in his hand. "I even noted to myself that I should never accept any coffee from Dmitrij."

"But... but I brought it from a restaurant." Minho acted like a student in the principal's office. 

It seemed it could draw Hyungsik's attention, because he took his gaze away from the papers and led it to the drink. He looked at the man on the other side of the desk then back to the coffee.

"Really?"

"Yes... it's the best." Minho did not lie. It was really the best coffee he has ever drunk.

"Hm..." Hyungsik put the paper down, rolled back to his desk in his chair, and took the still warm cup, curiously.

First he smelled it, he raised his eyebrow then took a small sip from the free coffee. Minho waited for his opinion, and a huge stone fell from his heart, when his boss took another, now bigger sip from it.

"I read the report. It really bothers me that it's rather a medical report. It's like... like the one what would Zoe make."

It was true, Minho could get the autopsy report from the Institute what he gave to the girl, but he knew he cannot close the case this easily.

"We informed the missing woman's husband. But... it would be better if we had a body. Can you explain it to me?"

"Mr. Park... I'll be honest... another team was faster." Minho was too tired for lies.

"What team?"

"They found the body, and... Mr. Park... I'll get the body... tomorrow. Alright?"

"You don't have to" closed the folder, and stood up from the chair. "I got an anonymus letter yesterday with an address. By the time I got there the woman's husband was sobbing in front of an urn. I guess that 'team' informed him. Who are they? Some..." walked around the desk, holding his coffee then he sat on the table, putting his free hand on his pocket. "Special benefactors? Or... the avengers?"

"It can be possible..."

Park Hyungsik tried studying the man's face, but he bowed his head down and rather watched the floor and not his boss' eyes. Getting tired of it he put the empty paper cup down, and guided his fingers to Minho's necktie, finally getting the younger's attention.

"Didn't anyone teach you how to tie a necktie? Or you just didn't want to be late in the morning? Listen, Choi" continued, before Minho could have answered ", I don't know what's going on in your life now, but don't bring your personal stuff in the office, okay? Do your job, and you don't have to visit me in my office. Of course, if you want we can talk about it, but... I think you have better things to do. Now go, there was a shop robbery yesterday, check the security cameras."

"Yes, Chief." Minho bowed, politely, then turned around and left the office.

Hyungsik sighed and rolled his eyes, looking at the closed door. His phone started to ring on the desk what he took into his hand, lazily, and smiled when he saw the name on the screen.

*

"I'm home!"

Jimin looked up from the newspaper he was reading on the couch. He came home too not so long ago from a client who needed some component for a potion. He turned the pages in the newspaper what almost covered his body in his sitting position, but of course he was watching the man from the corner of his eyes as he hangs his coat up to the coat hanger, removes his shoes, and takes his home slippers on.

"It's so early, isn't it? Why are you here?" Jimin asked, trying to concentrate on the article what was in front of him, but he could not do it since his flatmate and friend entered the place.

"I opened the place, you know times like this I can come home earlier. Tomorrow night the apartment is yours if you have any plan" walked before Jimin, and removed his rubber ring from his hair, and put it around his wrist as he took a look at himself in the mirror, and he already turned back and disappeared in the kitchen.

Jimin heard as the other started humming a song then a mug's and a spoon's clink joined to it. The door of the fridge opened then closed, and the long haired man came back with a big smile on his face and a mug in his hands.

"What's this big smile, Lee Taemin? Wait" put the black and white newspaper down on the coffee table ", let me guess."

Taemin took a seat on the couch next to Jimin with the mug of hot chocolate, and listened to his friend's ideas.

"Promotion?"

"Hyung, I'm a waiter... how did you get this idea?"

"Then... could you finally win a fight against a customer?"

"Rule number one in the restaurant, the customer's always right. Even if they say something stupid, but it's not my problem. Any other idea?"

"Hm... I give up" rested his hands behind himself, and watched Taemin with a huge smile, as he was drinking his hot chocolate. "What happened?"

He did not know he should tell this or not, because it was not that big thing now, but Jimin was his best and eldest friend; it is true he was his only friend.

"I... I met someone."

Jimin swallowed, his lips got their original form, and he nodded, but actually he wanted to know more.

"Taemin... you meet a lot of people every day. You're working in a restaurant. Why are you so happy because of it?"

"Actually it was the second time we met, but... I don't know" shrugged as he thought about it.

He wrapped his fingers around the warm ceramics, he could still feel the sweet taste of the hot chocolate in his mouth, and he led his tongue through on his lips what Jimin noticed. He saw that Taemin blushed, but he hoped it was only because of the hot drink.

"It's easy to talk to him, I mean... sometimes it's hard, because it's like if he is embarrassed, but..."

"Why does it matter? I guess you will take him here once, or you will go to somewhere, then you will never see him again, hm?"

"I don't think he's that kind of guy who would come with me for a round in the storage, and... I don't want him to be like this. I want to know him..."

"Okay, get to know him, but if he breaks your heart I'll buy you a cake where you can read my words: I told you" stood up from the couch, and walked to the terrace where he opened the door with one movement.

Taemin just watched the older warlock for some minutes then he sighed, put the mug on the coffee table, and followed him. Although it was only afternoon, it started getting dark, and the view was more beautiful like this in Seoul. Taemin could not wait for the christmas lights of the city, but these thoughts disappeared soon, when he saw Jimin's sad look on his face.

"You know I just want the best for you, right?"

"Yeah, sure" leaned to the railing, letting his hair locks fell down from his shoulder. "But you don't have to protect me. I listen to your advices, but... I can't do nothing more."

"You are like a bad teenager." Jimin laughed, leaning his back to the railing.

"And you're just like a mother."

"It means we are a good team, hm?"

"Yeah, maybe." Taemin said with a sleepy voice. "But I like it more, when you are my best friend and not my mother."

They talked about it a lot if the topic was serious, so Jimin was not surprised, and he just laughed again. He stepped closer to the boy, who straightened up, and waited with big eyes for his best friend's next words.

"Then as your best friend I'll give you an advice. Don't drink hot chocolate before that guy" put his thumb on the younger's upper lip."In the end he will lose his mind, but... I guess you want him to do it, am I right?"