A dead body

HIATUS - The Seoul Institute

Taehyung expected a lot of things, when he entered tha Institute except Jeon Jungkook, who was leaning against the wall. The boy was fighting with sleep, but when the entrance closed with a loud thud he startled awake immediately.

"What are you doing out here at this hour?" Taehyung asked.

"I could ask the same. A mundane police officer? Seriously? Don't you know the rules about exposing ourselves or are you dumb enough not to care about it?" The younger boy attacked.

Kim Taehyung thought he was a patient and friendly man, but the newcomer's comment made him furious.

"You have no right to talk down on Minho hyung just because he's not a shadowhunter! The mundanes are just as humans as we are!"

"But we are not entirely humans! We are descended from Raziel, and his angel blood makes us better than mundanes!"

"No, this makes shadowhunters like you arrogant and scratchy!"

"Me, scratchy? That's how a true shadowhunter should be!"

"Do they really teach you something like this at that fancy Academy?"

"Even if they do you wouldn't understand. You were raised amidst mundanes so you could go back to them and live happily instead of ruining the shadowhunters' reputation with your immoral behaviour!"

Jungkook took pride in his sharp eyesight, but the incoming punch was something even he himself couldn't see. His hand flew to his face instinctively as he tried to soothe the sting, while blinking dumbly at the elder.

Taehyung's face was red from anger as he tried his best not to cry.

"Go to hell, Jeon Jungkook." He spat then turned around and sprinted up on the stairs. 

The black haired boy looked after him and although his opinion didn't change, the other shadowhunter's face left a bitter taste in his mouth.

*

Jungkook didn't think he would ever get used to some things in the Institute including the shared breakfast. It was strange that they were forced to eat the day's first meal together at seven o'clock sharp at the long dining room. He had tried several times to dodge from this duty, but it was a failure. Today wasn't any different so with non-existent enthusiasm he went to the dining room and took his place next to Taehyung. He was the last to arrive as usual, but he didn't even bother to come up with some lame excuse.

His seat mate didn't spare time him a glance so it wasn't hard to find out he was still mad. Jungkook felt like he should apologize, but his pride protested heavily.

The table was full of different dishes which were supposed to be traditional korean meals, but the youngest had no clue what they were exactly. And again his pride stopped him from asking. The rice was the only familiar thing on the table, so he put a generous amount on his plate. The others were watching him with their eyebrows raised, but nobody dared to ask the grumpy boy.

As if the two, Taehyung and Jungkook's conflict influenced the others, nobody said a word during breakfast. Except Kim Hojun's occasional humming and the cutlery's clattering, the whole room was silent. Jungkook was staring at his rice like the white grains were the most interesting things on the planet and only looked up, when he was finished.

According to the Institute's rules somebody must help Seokjin after the meals and just to make his day miserable today Jungkook was on duty. The younger tried to avoid Seokjin since their first meating but the odds were against him that morning.

Judging by Seokjin's face the elder wasn't fond of the younger either so Jungkook tried to remain completely silent as he followed the elder with the dirty dishes. He wasn't in the mood for picking a fight not to mention his low energy supply. His 'rice-only' diet took a toll on his body after it got used to the steak dinners in Idris.

The two boys were washing the dishes silently for some time, before Seokjin opened his mouth. His loud throat clearing snapped the younger out of his thoughts.

"I couldn't help but realize that you only eat the rice every day. Do you not like my cooking?" Seokjin asked sharply.

Jungkook had a chance to choose between to options. He could annoy Seokjin further and lie or he could actually tell the truth. He was tempted to choose the first option however his meals were more important than that so he confessed.

"My stomach is not used to these spicy foods. I had stomach cramps the whole afternoon after I tried the soup on the first day."

The younger expected Seokjin to laugh, but the elder's face softened.

"Why haven't you told me? I'm sure I could have come up with some solution."

"After our first meeting I wasn't sure how would you react if I dared to criticise your cooking." The boy answered sheepishly.

"Food comes before personal conflicts! If you don't eat properly your body won't function and you could put the others in dangerous situations! Look I'm willing to offer peace and think about your diet, but you have to come and help me prepare the food. Deal?" Jin offered, and without his angry expression he looked much more handsome.

"Deal." The younger nodded with a faint smile.

Now that he and Seokjin became somewhat friends made Jungkook's life in the Institute a bit lighter. However the next day Taehyung still wasn't willing to acknowledge his existense. The others realized too, but they didn't dare to ask. Jungkook had no intentions sharing informations except with his sister. Jungran always knew the answers to his questions that's why he wanted to ask her, but he faced some technical problems.

"I can't believe that there's no signal or wifi in this damned Institute!" Jungkook cursed as he walked around in his room. "How can the others live in a place like that?"

"The wifi works perfectly at the lounge." A voice said, and as the younger turned around he met with a half- Hoseok, who was probably on his way to the shower, when he heard the boy's misery. 

"If I wanted to see half- men I would borrow my older sister's magazines. Put on some clothes!" The black haired boy grimaced instead of thanking the information.

"You have an older sister?" Hoseok asked with shining eyes as he stepped into the younger boy's room.

"Don't even think about it!" The younger glared at him.

"Oh, come on, Jungkookie! What would be so wrong with introducing her to me?" The other blinked at him.

"Don't make me list all the bad things."

"Don't be like that! Help out a friend!" Hoseok tried.

"We're not friends. Now get out of my room!" He steered the elder in the direction of the showers, who was pouting all the way.

When Jungkook made sure that Hoseok was in the bathroom he grabbed his laptop, and went to the lounge. Fortunately the whole room was empty, so he could sit down on one of the big armchairs with his notebook in his lap.

When he logged in to skype he saw the green icon next to his sister's name, and he clicked on the 'video call' button without any hesitation.

The girl answered immediately; her face and black hair filled his screen.

"Jungkookie!" She screamed excitedly, and the boy lowered the volume immediately.

"Hi, Jungran." He answered nonchalantly, but he was glad to hear his sister's voice. Even if it was high-pitched and irritating sometimes.

"What's up in Seoul? Are you getting on well with the other?" She quizzed.

"As well as you can with a bunch of idiots." He rolled his eyes.

"Don't be like that! Swallow you pride and try to make some friends! Because of your scratchy personality you will die alone anyway you could at least have some friends whom I can invite to your funeral!" Jungran pouted.

"Very funny." The boy grimaced.

"Wish it was a joke!" She sighed scenically which made Jungkook roll his eyes again.

"I'll try." He answered. "But I have a question."

"I knew that you wanted something from me again! My little brother never calls just because he misses me!" She faked crying.

"You're only ten minutes older than me, stop calling me your little brother! Also you are just as selfish as me. It runs in the family."

"Ten minutes or not I'm the older little bro! But you got me with the selfish thing." She giggled. "What can I do for you?"

"Well there's a boy..." Jungkook started, but before he could have continued his twin started cooing loudly. "What's your problem again?"

"Our little Kookie has boy problems already! Time surely flies!" She wiped her non-existent tears.

"Are you crazy? I'm not gay!" He snapped.

"Ah, I thought you were over the denying phase." She sighed. "Whatever, continue!"

"For the last time I'm not into boys!"

"Good to know." A new voice said from the doorway, and it made Jungkook want to kill Jung Hoseok.

"Who's this? I can't see." Jungran whined at it was Hoseok's cue to step behind Jungkook's armchair, and wave into the camera. 

"Hello, I'm your hope, J-Hope or Jung Hoseok!" The boy grinned, and Jungkook wished he didn't see the hearts in his sister's eyes.

"I'm Jeon Jungran, Jungkook's older sister." She smiled at the older boy as she tucked her hair behind her ears.

"Twin sister." Jungkook corrected. "She's only ten minutes older."

"Really? You can call me oppa then." Hoseok winked, and the younger boy felt like he was scarred for a lifetime.

"I'll call you back some other time!" He said to Jungran before closed his laptop, and went back to his room ignoring Hoseok's objection. 

*

Jungkook walked to his room after dinner, yawning. It was weird to him that Taehyung did not join them at dinner, but he had no idea why it would have been his fault. When the others noticed Taehyung's empty chair, Min Yoongi almost killed Jungkook with his gaze, then he stormed into the kitchen without a single word. As he got to know later from Seokjin, Yoongi took from the dinner to Taehyung's bedroom. So he got another bad point from the boy in black clothes, but why did it bother Jungkook? He did not come to the Seoul Institute to make friends, he was banished!

As he entered his bedroom he did not even turn the lights on just laid down on the double bed, carefully, but it made such a jarring sound like a gorilla would have laid down on it. He thought everybody wanted to go to the bathroom tonight, so he decided to sleep and he will take a shower in the morning, then put his head on the pillow, and closed his eyes.

"I thought you didn't get a new case yet."

Jungkook's eyes opened, and he sat up on his bed so quickly like a bed spring would have pushed him; although as he knew this furniture Jungkook would not have been that surprise by that neither.

"Oh, and could she say something? Hm... It really sounds like a werewolf attack."

He climbed off of his bed, and approached the wall with unsure steps, where he waited a little bit, then put his ear to the musty surface. Yes, he was right; the voice came from the neighbour room - from Taehyung's bedroom.

"Are you going home now? Hm... maybe next time. You should rest."

Taehyung was talking in such a kind tone, what Jungkook rarely heard in Idris. Even his parents did not talk to each other like this. Maybe Taehyung had a fever? Or... Jungkook was the one who was dreaming?

"Alright, be careful. Goodnight." Taehyung laughed, what Jungkook did not hear nowadays in the Institute.

Since they had that ugly fight Taehyung did not laugh, but he did not even smile.

"It's your money, this call goes to your account. Goodnight... Hm... Maybe tomorrow? If Namjoon doesn't need me. It's too late now... Goodnight. No, I want you to hang up first. Goodnight... Minho..."

His bedroom's door suddenly opened, and an exhausted and huffy looking Jungkook burst into the room. When he saw Taehyung in the window with a plush animal on his lap and the phone in his hand, he walked to him, and took the cell phone from him.

"Goodnight!"

He hanged up and gave the phone back to Taehyung, who looked at the boy then at the mobile phone.

"Didn't they teach you in the Academy that disrupt someone's phone call isn't a nice thing?"

"Believe me, I would be the happiest in the world if I didn't have to listen to this whole... love chatting or what. But it seems in this building the walls are really thin, so I can't have one calm night!"

"Oh." Taehyung bowed his head down.

He made a face like his parents scolded him. He stood up from the interior window still, and walked to his bed, where he lay the plush animal down on one of the pillows; although Jungkook had no idea what kind of creature was that.

His gaze wandered away to one of the bedroom's corner, and took some step ahead, frowning. There was a blanket fort-kind of thing from colourful and white, simple and figured sheets. He saw white christmas lights inside of it, and pillows with more blankets. But, what really drew his attention was a sketchbook, where he saw some lines on it. There were some color and graphite pencils too next to the sketchbook.

"Jungkook. Is it still hurt?"

This question brought him back to the present. What the hell did Taehyung talk about? His incomprehension could have showed on his face too, because the other boy sighed and walked closer.

"Your face. Is it still hurt?"

"Why would it?"

"I'm sorry I hit you. Usually I don't hit anyone. I don't know why I did that."

Did Taehyung really apologize? The younger thought he heard it wrong, and he blinked at the other, shocked, but he just smiled and stepped to his nightstand, and took something out from the drawer.

"Here." Taehyung showed a chocolate.

The boy still tried to process what was happening, so Taehyung held his wrist, and put the chocolate on his palm.

"You eat chocolate in Idris, don't you? It's really delicious, believe me."

The same smile what was on him during the first breakfast, when he suggested the cocoa. Jungkook swallowed and looked at the chocolate, silently. He felt a strange, depressing feeling in his chest. Maybe remorse? Or what is more likely he caught some illness in the musty bedroom. Yes, it could have happened. It was the only reasonable explanation.

"Don't think you're that strong. I barely felt that" made a sarcastic smile, and gave the chocolate back to the elder.

The black haired boy turned around without any words, so he could go back into his bedroom and sleep, but he did not even open the door yet, when Taehyung's phone started to ring. His nerves were tense, when the music had ended, and the boy spoke. He did not want to listen to a talk like before again.

"Oh, Minho. I'm sorry, just... what? Now!? But... Where are you?"

It seemed much more interesting like the last one, so Jungkook watched curiously as Taehyung's face went white and looked around in the room, then when he found what he was looking for he put the black, thin jacket on.

"Hey!" Jungkook shouted after him, when Taehyung left the room without any explanation. "Where the hell are you going?"

"I have to talk to Namjoon!"

*

Namjoon parked the car a block away from the place Taehyung talked about. When they stopped he left the driver's seat quickly, but he was not faster than Taehyung, and Jungkook neither, who wanted to go with them, so he had to sit in the back seat.

They tried to keep up with the brown haired boy, who almost looked behind the trash cans too, while he was looking around in the lighted street.

"Taehyung!"

Everybody looked at the way of the voice. A young man was standing before an alley, there was a bag next to him on the ground; he was going home from shopping, when he called Taehyung. The called boy sighed with relief, and immediately ran to the man. Namjoon and Jungkook, who was walking next to him, curiously, followed him, but because they already knew their informant was there they did not have to hurry.

When Taehyung arrived he hugged Minho's neck with such a big momentum, he almost made the man fall. Minho guided his hands on the boy's back, and pulled him closer, but then he looked up from the ground, and saw the two other shadowhunters. There were black patterns on their necks too, just like Taehyung had, and if he remembered his boyfriend, he suspected their bodies were full of those runes too.

"Are you alright?" Taehyung pulled away a little bit, and took the man's face between his palms, so he could take a better look at him.

He seemed more relaxed than last time, so Taehyung thought he could finally take long sleeps after he closed that case.

"As I know he isn't the victim here."

Hearing the voice behind himself Taehyung's lips parted, like he wanted to say something while he was still looking at Minho, but the man just nodded and sent a calming smile to the younger.

"Ohm..." After that much time Taehyung had to introduce his boyfriend to some of the shadowhunters he lived with. "He's Jeon Jungkook. He moved into the Institute not so long ago."

"I'm sure Taehyung talked about me." Jungkook put his hands in his pockets of his dark jeans, and looked into the detective's eyes, who did not take his gaze away neither.

"I don't remember he did" disappointed the boy.

So Taehyung did not mention him what happened that night, when he came back to the Institute? He thought the boy will tell it immediately to the man, but it seemed he was wrong, and the boy kept it secret from him too, not just from the people in the Institute.

"But it's good to finally meet with Taehyung's friends. Choi Minho" wanted to shake the youngest hand, but he looked at him with a 'Did you seriously think that?' - like gaze as an introduction.

Minho already wanted to pull his hand back, when someone else accepted the kind gesture.

"Kim Namjoon. Nice to finally meet you. The Seoul Institute can thank you a lot" bowed before the elder, who laughed awkwardly.

"Actually, I'm the one who has to thank you. I would have been in a lot of trouble if I don't know anything about the different kind of demons or downworlders."

Did they even tell this mundane about these terms too? Jungkook wanted to retch, but Namjoon was with them so he tried to control himself.

"Can we finally move? You said you found a body." Jungkook disrupted the idyll, drawing the attention at himself.

"Yes, come with me." The detective waved to them, and led them into the half-lighted alley.

They could hear the creak of the cars' wheels from the distance, the clubs' music from a few streets away and the stray dogs' bark. Minho stopped next to a container where the body was, and looked at the three shadowhunters, who was watching the dead woman's body, what was lying on her stomach.

"More light would be good." Taehyung told his opinion, and in that moment something illuminated the brittle looking, unmoved body.

The two men, Jungkook and Minho, looked at each other, then at the lighting objects in their hands; the witchlight with Jungkook and the mobile phone between the detective's fingers.

"Did you touch anything?" Namjoon did not notice the looks the two young men sent to each other, he was more curious about the dead girl in front of them.

"No. This is how I found her."

"And how did you find her, hm?" Jungkook raised an eyebrow. "There is not that much light in this alley to see it that easily from the street. Am I right, mundane?"

"Mun... mundane?" Minho repeated the word.

"Ah, so Taehyung didn't tell you everything about the shadow world." Jungkook noted with another sigh, and turned back to the body.

"I know what it means."

"Shadowhunter."

"What?" Jungkook and Minho asked back after Namjoon spoke.

"This girl" pointed at her, and pulled the brown locks aside, what were sticky from the blood, so he could show her pale skin with the runes on her nape "is a shadowhunter."

Taehyung carefully pulled up the sleeve of the coat in the girl's arm. There were scratch marks on her skin. They could barely recognize the meanings of the runes, because of the scratch marks, and under the body her blood made a big puddle.

"These scratch marks are like the ones in the last case." Minho said with a serious tone, studying the wounds. "I could take a closer look at the body, what the police took away. These marks seem too fresh. I think the murder happened not so long ago. If you touch her skin, you can feel her body isn't that cold, yet."

"If you're that smart, Sherlock, then tell me..." Jungkook looked at the body, maybe he can find something the others did not notice yet. "What's this?"

Everybody saw the little card in the coat's pocket. Seeing their shocked and curious faces Jungkook was proud. Minho took a tissue out from his jacket, and used it to carefully hold the card. When he took it out the man held it closer to himself so he could read it.

"If you really want to know, this is a coupon for a salad bar. If your werewolf isn't vegetarian or it doesn't work in a salad bar, then I don't think it will help us." Minho looked at the shadowhunter, apologetically, and put the coupon back into the girl's pocket.

"Thank you." Namjoon spoke and stood up, making the others to follow him. "We can handle this from now on. We take the body into the Institute. Thank you for your help again" nodded to the detective, and shook his hand.

Meanwhile Taehyung and Jungkook stepped next to the girl's body and carefully turned her on her back, so they could take her into the car easier. Taehyung looked at the scratch marks on her neck; they destroyed all of her runes.

"Jungkook, is everything okay?"

Taehyung lifted his head, when he heard Namjoon's voice, and looked at the boy in front of him. His dark eyes widened, while he was looking at the girl's lifeless, pale face. His lips quivered, like he wanted to say something.

"Hey, Jungkook." Taehyung called him by his name, maybe he can induce some reaction from the boy.

"Do you know her?" Minho could read people's faces, perfectly.

Jungkook looked up at the men, who were staring him, then looked back at the girl whose blood made his hand red while they turned her around.

"Dahyun."