Against the Clave

HIATUS - The Seoul Institute

As he felt the wet pillow what touched his face the picture started to seem clear to Jungkook, but he wished everything was obscure again. He sat up carefully in his bed, and rested his hand on the mattress, but he heard such noises during these little movements what the mattress made his heart almost jumped out of his chest. If he ever believed that it was just a bad dream, this time he had to realize that he was wrong.

He was in the same musty, dusty bedroom where he fell asleep. Yesterday he hoped maybe he will see the room differently in the day light, but he was wrong - again. Everything was grey and lifeless just like yesterday. He climbed off of his bed, slowly, making jarring sounds with the mattress, and he stepped to the blue, sallow curtain. The boy swallowed and ran his fingers through his raven black hair, before he collected his courage. The portal was opened in front of the Institute's entrance, so he did not have the chance to take a look at the city, where he will spend his days from now on.

After Idris this place was a big disappointment, just like the Institute. Everything was magical and bright in Idris, but this city was not even a weak imitation of his home. Moreover it was raining, and people were holding some weird stuff above their heads. Jungkook rolled his eyes, and pulled the curtain back, making a dust cloud in the room. He started to cough, but this sound was interrupted by his own stomach's growl. Well, the last time he could eat was before he left Idris, and because he fell asleep in the previous day so early he did not join the others to dinner.

After he put all of his clothes into the huge, jarring wardrobe, and changed his clothes he stepped to the door to leave his new bedroom. He took a deep breath, and put his hand on the rusty door handle, but when he opened the door he had to take a step back because of the shock. It was not fright, oh come on, he was Jeon Jungkook. (Yes, it was fright...)

"What a beautiful morning we have! Do you remember me? We met yesterday, when Namjoon showed you the Institute. I know, I know, now as I'm in my clothes maybe you don't recognize me, but it's me..."

Jungkook squinted and he really tried to remember the boy's face.

"There is still don't need hope, hm?" crossed his arms before his chest.

"What do you want?" A tired sigh left Jungkook's lips.

"I have to lead you to the dining room. You know it's breakfast time" hugged the boy's arm, and started to pull him to the corridor. 

There were no windows in the long corridor. He only saw doors, what hid the bedrooms. The sight of the paintings still made him shiver, and he hoped the boy next to him did not notice it.

"What the hell are you doing?" stopped on the stratched floor, when Hoseok pulled the grilles aside at the entrance of the elevator. 

"Ohm..." He was thinking about his answer, because he thought it can be a tricky question. "Am I going downstairs? But seeing your eyes now I'm really confused."

This boy talked too much, and Jungkook's back was in pain because of the uncomfortable bed. He started to remember some things about the Institute, but his other chance was the scary caracole, so he rather stepped into the elevator, what Hoseok commented with a smile. He closed the elevator, and pushed a faded button.

As the elevator moved it twitched, just like the previous day, and Jungkook grabbed the railing behind his back, so the totally calm Hoseok could not see anything; actually Jungkook grabbed the railing so hard, his fingers went white.

"Come on" held Jungkook's arm, and pulled him out of the elevator ", I'm starving, and the others will eat everything. Believe me, it happened before" stopped in front of the door, then opened it, and with a polite bow he let the new boy enter the room first.

The dining room was way longer than wide. There were different kinds of paintings on the walls; candlesticks were between every painting, what were really burning, and they were not the modern, electronic ones. There were big windows with grilles and claret curtains, but because of the weather there was not much light in the room.

"Now, that everyone is here, I think we should start to eat." A familiar voice said from the other end of the long table.

Kim Namjoon nodded to the boy with a kind smile, then looked at Hoseok, who pulled a chair out; there was the tableware before it. A bowl with something unfamiliar thing in it - at least Jungkook has not seen anything like this before -, a spoon, a napkin and a mug.

"What do you want to drink? There are milk, jasmine tea, orange juice and cocoa."

This voice came from too near so it could not be Namjoon. Jungkook looked at his right side with fear, after he sat down in the pillowed arm chair. He immediately recognized the boy's face; he was the one, who he met in the gym. Hoseok was trying to escape with his clothes, but it had to be cancelled because of Namjoon.

"I suggest you the cocoa." The brown haired boy told him his opinion, and he was smiling so kindly at Jungkook the boy almost saw the pink clouds, the rainbow and the unicorns around him. "That's the best."

"Then I guess I'll have the orange juice." He thought it will make the boy sad, but after Taehyung said a disappointed 'oh' he started to smile again.

"Alright! Hyung" turned to his other side.

Jungkook leaned forward a little bit to see the person the boy talked to. His face was not familiar, but it was like he saw the big, black hoodie once in the building. He could have been the boy, who was in the bedroom with the computer; Yoongi. At least Namjoon called him like this, when he talked about him.

"Would you give me the orange juice, please? Thanks" took the jug, where was the orange drink in it, and Taehyung poured into Jungkook's mug from it. "And enjoy your porridge."

This smile again. Jungkook did not even know which one was the better. Being alone in his bedroom, where his bed could eat him alive in any moment, or seeing this boy's big smile. Yes, he really had to think about it.

He took the spoon in his hand without even notice it - his hungriness must took the control away from him, but when he put the spoon into the warm thing Jungkook frowned at the sight of the food, what Taehyung called porridge.

"What's wrong?"

This voice was not that kind like the previous one. Jungkook looked up from the porridge, and turned to the way of the voice. An older boy was sitting next to Hoseok on the other side of the table, whose name was - if Jungkook remembered well - Jin. But at the moment he saw the boy's light pink, long sleeved T-shirt, he knew he was right! He was the one who was cooking in a pink, frilly apron, when he arrived in the Institute.

"Is... is this what you call breakfast?" Jungkook looked around, although as he could see nobody shared his opinion about the porridge.

The old man, who was sitting on the head of the table, was reading a newspaper, and ate his porridge, sometimes writing something on the paper, so he definitely did not notice anything about the happenings around him. Unlike him the others paid attention, and Namjoon looked at the boy in front of him with a scared face, because he knew Jin wanted to strangle the new boy in a spoon of water.

"Do you want some honey on it? The sweeter the better. Trust me." Taehyung showed the honey bottle, like he was in a commercial. "It's true, don't you believe me?" opened the bottle, and without Jungkook's permission he put some on the porridge from the golden coloured, sticky honey. "Come on" lifted the spoon, what was in the bowl before, and put it in front of the boy's mouth. "Taste it. Okay, then I'll do it first" shrugged, but the other grabbed his wrist.

"And do you think I will eat with the spoon what was in your mouth? No way" growled. "Give it to me" took the spoon from him, and put it into his mouth, angrily.

Taehyung looked around at the table with a satisfied look on his face. Hoseok was busy with fanning Jin with a napkin, maybe ha can calm him down, Kim Hojun was still writing on the newspaper, Yoongi went back to his breakfast, and Namjoon showed his thumb up, when their gazes met.

If Jeon Jungkook thought his first day and the breakfast will be the most terrible things, what could happen to him in the Seoul Institute then he had to realize he was wrong. After he pushed the still horrible porridge into his mouth he went to search for the shared bathroom, I repeat, shared bathroom.

He took a towel from the shelf, what could end up on the floor in any moment, and after he did not see anyone in the room he started to get rid of his clothes. Maybe the only good thing in the Institute was the warm water, although Jungkook doubt the existence of it before. But when he wanted to take the shower head off the top of it stayed in his hand, what he only commented with an eye rolling. He was too hasty to judge things and now he was thrown in deep.

In the next days he had to realize if he wanted a private life he had to stay in his own bedroom, where he still did not have friendly feelings for his bed, so he spent most of his time on the pillowed interior window sill, and watched his phone. He watched the screen, where was a picture about him and his sister. Maybe their relationship was not the best, while he was in Idris, but which sibling relationship is perfect? None of them! But now he felt like he really needed the girl, even if she scolded or criticized him. She was the only one, who reminded him at his home.

Suddenly he searched Jungran's name, and touched the green sign, but the phone signed him there was no signal. He went to the point of the bedroom where was a little bit of signal, but now it did not matter how high he held the phone he could not reach it. He started to think, and took every movable furniture to the corner. After a while he looked at his work with pride; the trunk on the suitcase and a chair on it, what was already in the bedroom, when he arrived.

"Let's see" murmured and tried to call his sister again, while he climbed up to the vacillating work of art.

He watched as there were more and more lines on the screen, and when he finally heard Jungran's voice he made a happy, exultant shout, but in the next moment the chair tilted, and Jungkook ended up on the floor with a loud sound.

*

This day started just as the others. Jungkook even questioned these persons he lived with were really shadowhunters, but then Kim Namjoon stormed into the hall with a serious facial expression.

His grandfather, Kim Hojun, was watching some show in the television, what Hoseok found really interesting so he joined the old man, and sat down on the floor next to the armchair. Unlike him Jungkook was sitting at the window, and looked at the night city, holding his phone in his hand just as always in case someone calls him. Of course no one did it. Since he was in the Seoul Institute only his sister called him. Well, once he had a missed call from someone he knew from the academy, but he did not really want to talk to her, so he did not call her back.

"We got a report about an attack. It seems like a werewolf did it."

"Would they break the accord?" Taehyung lifted his head up, while he was lying on the carpet, drawing something on a paper.

"We have to find it out. Ohm... Taehyung." The head of the Institute scratched his nape, and blushed. "Can you call... I mean" cleared his throat quickly. "We could solve it by ourselves, but I'm curious about your friend's opinion or..."

"Or about any information of this case?" Taehyung finished the sentence with a huge smile on his face.

Jungkook watched the happenings around him with raised eyebrow, and listened to the conversation, what could not be too interesting to the old man and Hoseok, who were still fascinated by the television.

"Well, yes. If it's not a problem. Just in case, and... I'm curious what they know. Anyway before we could have brought the body with us they appeared and we had to leave."

"Okay, I got it" stood up from the carpet, took the pencils and the papers, and left the room, still smiling.

"Have you lost a dead body?" Jungkook asked, boring. He could not really be surprised after the last few days.

"I haven't... I haven't lost it. We will solve this. If we will be sure it's a werewolf attack, we will contact them. Grandpa, would you turn down the..."

"Shh!" This was the reaction he got from the man and to his biggest surprise from Hoseok too, then the two men turned their gazes back to the screen.

After a half an hour the show has ended, so Kim Hojun decided to take a rest in his bedroom. Hoseok offered him to lead him, but the man refused it, saying he is not that old so they do not have to worry about him, and went to the way of the elevator.

He did not know why, but Jungkook followed Hoseok, when the boy left, and in the next moment they were in the first floor before a door, and the elder knocked on it. They did not hear anything from inside, but it did not bother Hoseok, and entered the bedroom happily.

"Why is it always so dark in here? Thanks the Angel I'm here!" chatted brightly, and he immediately went to the window, where he pulled the black curtains aside. "Ah, now I really see this room is friendlier than before" looked around in the bedroom.

Well, Jungkook could have said a lot of words about this bedroom, but friendlier was not among them. There were no paintings on the walls, like in his bedroom. He did not see photos, like what he saw in the hall, in the second floor.

Unlike his the bed in this room was not a canopy one, just a simple double bed with gray and black sheets. There was no really other thing in the boy's bedroom; the only part, where he could see a little life was the desk, where were multiple monitors. The boy's pale, long fingers were dancing on the keyboard so fast, Jungkook could not follow them, and on his opinion Yoongi did not even notice they entered his room, because there was a big, black headset on him.

"You're not a vampire, why are you sitting in the dark, then? Anyway..." stepped behind the boy, leaned above his shoulder, and carefully moved the headset away from his ear. "What are you doing now?"

Yoongi just waved, like he wanted to kill a bug, his gaze never left the monitors. Jungkook stepped behind them, too, so he could see what the reason of having three monitors was. He saw CCTV records on the first one, and the camera , when it sensed movements. Jungkook saw codes on the middle one, but he did not know anything about them, and of course he did not want to ask the boys about them, so he guided his gaze to the last monitor, where he saw a stopped League of Legends game. Actually Jungkook knew about this game later, because he has never heard about it in Idris.

"Where the hell is he going?" asked, when he was already at the window, and noticed the leaving Taehyung, who was talking on the phone. "Anyway... what the hell was that in the hall?"

"Oh, that? Don't worry about it." Hoseok laughed and leaned away from the boy, who was sitting in the swivel chair. "We have an informant in the mundane police station, and in times like this Taehyung always talks to him."

"Mun...Mundane police station?" Jungkook has never ever heard about anything like this in his life. Why would the shadowhunters need the help of the mundane police?

"Yes. When was it... hm... Yoongi, please, help me."

"It was a year ago in August" said with a half smile.

"Ah, you're right. The time is just flying!"

"The mundane police help you since... since one year?"

"Hm... it's kind a give and take." Hoseok giggled. "Taehyung gets information from the mundane police station and one of the members of the mundane police station gets information from us. It's really simple, isn't it?"

"But this..." Jungkook was so close to take his phone out. "This is against the rules! Who heard about something like this? Oh, come on... you... you just want to make fun of me, right? Of course" tried to calm himself down. "Fool the new boy, hm? Okay, tell me, where did Taehyung go?"

"I told you, he went to meet with a police officer. Okay with a detective, but it doesn't matter... so this whole thing started, when Taehyung and I went to investigate because of an attack, and we were in a club. They met there, and when Taehyung got to know he's a police officer, and he is investigating in the case like us, he knew what he had to do. Oh" noticed Jungkook's frown. "Don't think about any nasty thing! He asked the guy's number, and they danced. If you ask me, they are a really good team together."

"Wait... A guy?" So it was a mundane man.

"We know shadowhunters aren't really accepting in Idris, but pretty please, don't make such a face like this in front of Taehyung. You would brake his heart. Okay?" Since he met Hoseok this was the first time the boy was talking with a serious tone.

"You will mention the too, and we can take him to the morgue." Yoongi noted, and Hoseok tried to hold his laughter back.

"Oh, come on, four years aren't that much. Anyway, Minho looks younger than his age."

"How do you know?" Yoongi looked away from the monitors.

"Once I saw a picture about him in Tae's bedroom, and... What are you doing?" noticed that Jungkook took his phone out with heavy breathing.

The sound of the keyboard has ended, when Yoongi noticed the boy, who almost fainted.

"I have to inform the Clave. These... these break a lot of rules of the Clave. We have to finish it now. Does he know about shadowhunters too?! Of course he knows. You talked about the shadow world to a mundane, and he even got our information. Kim Namjoon, you are in a big trouble now!" put the phone to his ear with a satisfied smile on his face.

Hoseok and Yoongi looked at each other, and after the elder nodded, the other jumped at Jungkook with a loud shout. They were rolling for a few moments on the floor, and when Hoseok was on the top of the boy, he took the phone, and quickly touched the red sign. Jungkook tried to get his phone back, but he could not reach it, because Hoseok lifted it in his hand.

"Hey, Min Yoongi, we should delete the Clave's number and... oh! The Clave is in the speed dial list? And is it the first one? Second one is the Inquisitor?! What an ingratiating guy... oh, wait... why is one of the Silent brothers on the list? I didn't even know they have mobile phones. Hm, well... they have to move with the modern world, I guess" shrugged and continued to check the numbers.

"Wait a minute." Jungkook finished the fighting, and looked at the boy, who was still in his chair. "Min Yoongi?"

"What? Do you know him?" Hoseok asked, but in the next moment Jungkook pushed him off of him, and got his phone back.

"Everybody knows him in Idris. It's not enough a mundane knows about us, but did you let this into the Seoul Institute? This is worse than I thought."

"What do you mean?" Hoseok stood up from the floor, and stepped between them, frowning. 

"Oh, right..." Jungkook laughed, bitterly. "If the ex Inquisitor wasn't your relative, you could have never put your feet in a place like this. I had my opinion about this place so far, but... a demon..."

"Hey, Jeon Jungkook! Stop it now!" Hoseok pushed his shoulder a little bit.

"Get out." Yoongi murmured so quietly, they barely heard him. "Both of you, get out" put his headset back, and the sound of the keyboard came back.

As he saw the boy's face it was like he felt a little bit guilt, but Jungkook quickly pulled himself together, cleared his throat, and walked out of the bedroom with his phone in his hand. Well, maybe he should wait until Kim Taehyung comes home, and after that he can call the Clave, when he will be sure about the information of the misdemeanours.

*

"Oh, there will be good! No, wait, a little bit to the right, yes! It's good..."

Taehyung tried to follow the young man's orders, while he was giving him a massage. Minho was in the office since three days, and he just came home a few hours ago. Of course, he needed nothing but rest and a good massage, while he could lay on his boyfriend's lap, on the couch.

"Ah, you've just saved my life with this, Tae." Minho to his back, making a deep sigh.

They knew each other since more than a year, and they were a couple but Taehyung still had a pleasing, shivering feeling, when he looked into the man's big, brown eyes. Not even mention that if somebody asked him about his favourite sound he would have said - without even thinking - Choi Minho's laughter.

"And now let me hear it" turned the television's volume down, where was a crime series, and he sat up on Taehyung's lap, hugging his neck ", why did you visit me in a late hour?"

"Why? Am I bothering you?" Taehyung had remorse.

Their relationship was not about the information changing anymore. It was more than that, and they both knew it. They liked each other, and when they could finally meet, they could not stay away from the other. Taehyung felt himself the happiest, when he could have been with Minho. Of course he loved his family and his friends in the Institute, but Minho was different. He was the only one in his life, who was not connected to the shadow world, and it made him special.

"You? Never" touched his nose with his, making the younger laugh.

Minho gave first a careful kiss on to Taehyung's lips, and when the boy followed him after he leaned away both of them smiled. Taehyung's fingers went under Minho's white T-shirt, feeling the hot skin, while Minho slipped his tongue into the boy's mouth.

"Ohm... Minho..."

"Yes?" asked with closed eyes, still kissing the boy's lips.

"Can I ask you something?"

He knew this question will show up sooner or later, but Minho just smiled and nodded, giving courage to the younger to speak again.

"Did you get a new report about a... dog attack?"

"Dog?" It seemed Minho knew exactly what the boy was thinking about, so he raised an eyebrow, and asked back.

"Okay." Taehyung gave up, because his boyfriend knew about everything. "Werewolf attack. At least Namjoon said it, but he couldn't take a better look at the body, because the mundane police arrived."

"I closed a case today, so they didn't tell me to go to the crime scene."

"One of your friends knows a lot about dead bodies, right?" Taehyung remembered a girl.

Minho nodded, not taking his gaze away from Taehyung's chocolate brown eyes.

"Can you get some information about the wounds?"

"Now, that you mentioned... If I remember well, Zoe's mentor is the head of the investigation. I'm sure they will find something soon."

"Really? And... maybe, wouldn't it be a problem, if..."

"Tae" took the boy's soft face between his palms, and smiled ", tomorrow it will be the first thing that I'm gonna talk to Zoe, okay?"

"Thanks. I will pay you back somehow" blushed immediately, as his thoughts started to wander.

"What if you stay for the night? I would cook something, and we could watch a movie."

Taehyung loved when Minho cooked for him, but because they were working on a case, he thought it would be better if he goes home and tells everything to Namjoon.

"I'm sorry, but I have to go home. Is it okay?"

"Then next time." Minho showed a smile again, but he was not that fast now, and Taehyung could notice the disappointment what ran across his face.

His boyfriend was living alone since he moved out from his parents' home after he graduated from high school, and he spent his time with studying and now working. Of course it has immediately changed as he met Taehyung, but because the boy was living in the Institute, he had to spend most of his nights alone again. He told Taehyung a lot of times he was the happiest, when they could wake up together in the mornings, and although the younger wanted it now too so badly, he could not do it.

"I miss you too."

Minho did not say it, but Taehyung did, because he knew the elder was thinking about this, and he earned a look from the man, so he stopped playing with the boy's T-shirt.

Actually Minho was working on that case since weeks what he could finally close, and they could barely meet in that time, only if Taehyung really needed his help because of the shadowhunters.

"But maybe I can stay for a movie."

"One of my co-workers recommended this one. I'm serious" Minho was in front of the television, what was opposite of the couch, and it was on a low cabinet, where the man store the DVDs and CDs ", this movie is ing good. Although..." added, when he put the disk into the player. "Maybe you won't like it."

"Why?"

"Tae, I don't know anyone who is sweeter than you, and we both know you cried during Titanic."

"You cried too, don't deny it" reminded him, while he hugged a pillow.

"Okay, I admit it" started the movie, and turned the lights off in the living room, what was the anteroom too in the little flat. "And if you want, I can take you home after the movie, so you won't be afraid in the dark" lay down on the couch. He leaned his head on one of the pillows, and put his legs on Taehyung's lap.

"Minho, I am a shadowhunter."

"A sensitive shadowhunter. I saw how you looked at that stray dog last time."

"But it was cold, and that poor dog didn't have a home. I felt sorry for it." A sad expression was on his face as he thought about the incidence.

He took a look at the screen, then at the cover of the film, what was on the cabinet, and thanks to his perfect vision he could read the title: Sweeney Todd, the demon barber of Fleet Street.

"What kind of co-workers do you have?" frowned after reading the title.

"Well, not people who watch Alice in wonderland or Peter Pan" sat up just to hug Taehyung, and pulled him with himself.

The boy pulled his legs out under Minho, and lay on his body, resting his head on his chest so he could watch the television. As he felt comfortable Minho started to caress his back, what made Taehyung relax, and a smile appeared on his face.

"Those are classics."

"I'm sure they are."