Coffee machine

HIATUS - The Seoul Institute

He could not sleep well since days. Before the big meeting with the werewolves he was hopeful, but when they did not get any useful information from them Kim Namjoon started to lose hope, he did not show it in front of his friends, though. 

Now he was sitting in his office at the desk what was the library too. There were a lot of paper on the worn, scratched floor, but there were two on the not so organized desk too. All of them had a function; Namjoon wanted to write his thoughts and his theories down about the case, but he had to realize soon it did not work.

He drew a question mark next to the werewolves then his gaze went further on the other downworlders' signs. Warlocks, faeries and vampires. Namjoon frowned during thinking, and holding his gaze on the paper he reached for his mug that he put to his lips, but when he wanted to feel the coffein drops nothing happened. He put the pen down from his hand, and looked at the empty mug.

Making a deep sigh he stood up from the desk, and left the room with the empty mug. There was an unusual silence in the corridor. He had not heard anything from the others for a while, and he hoped they were fine. He entered the elevator with hopes like these, and it went downstairs with a jarring sound.

Maybe the kitchen was the happiest and the brightest place in the grim building. It was because of the cleanness and the flower pattern curtain. Namjoon started to walk to the coffee machine, when a tall figure straightened up from the other side of the counter that was in the middle of the kitchen.

"By the Angel! You've scared me to death!" put the mug on the counter just in time, so he could avoid a smaller chaos.

"It was you who sneaked into the kitchen!" Jin attacked back, and pointed at the younger with a pen in his hand.

"I didn't sneak... never mind. I just want to drink some coffee."

"You're drinking too much coffee nowadays, don't you think?" watched as the boy filled his mug with the dark liquid then he put two lump sugars into it, making the surface chaotic. 

"And it is bothering you, because...?" leaned to the kitchen counter, and he left the question in the air, maybe the other will continue it.

"Because..."

Jin started it with elan, but he stayed silence after the first word, took a deep breath, while he was looking at the tired boy, and looked down at the paper in his hand.

"Because I have to write more coffee on the shopping list."

"You know the new rules, don't you?" asked calmly, watching as the boy adjusted his peach-coloured hoodie, and took one more look at the list.

"Why does Taehyung need a coffee machine?" It was like he did not even hear the leader's question, Jin started to think, why Taehyung wrote this thing on the list.

"Jin, you can't go alone. Not until somebody is killing shadowhunters in the streets..."

"Yes? Then what are we going to do? Starve? Hm?"

"Ask somebody to go with you."

He had to laugh at it, although Namjoon did not understand what he said that made the boy like this, but to look serious he put his mug on the counter, and he tried to make an eyecontact with the elder.

"Who? Maybe we won't ever see Yoongi outside of his bedroom, and I will never go anywhere with Hoseok again, I swear, it's like in the kindergarten!"

"You're like the one who's in the kindergarten! Ah..." Namjoon shook his head, tiredly. "Forget it."

"Then come with me..." Jin said after a little silence, slowly and quietly. "Daddy."

If Namjoon still drank the coffee, probably he would have spat it out, but he might even dropped the mug on the floor. After this he just started to caugh, and his face felt hot. Jin shrugged, folded the paper, and put it into his light jeans' pocket.

"Come on! I have no idea where we will find a good coffee machine... do you have any idea?" Actually he did not wait for the boy's answer, he already left the kitchen, leaving a surprised and puzzled Namjoon behind.

Jin only bought a car for shopping, and Namjoon was happy a little bit, when he realized he does not have to walk with the coffee machine in the cold weather. 

The machine was already sitting in the car's trunk, so now Jin only had to concentrate on the foods; it was not that hard. They saw some christmas decoration in the huge supermarket, and if they paid attention they could hear the music from the radio too, that gave the holiday feeling. 

"Since we came back from the werewolves you're not that happy." Jin noted, when he was studying two egg boxes, but in the end he put both of them in the shopping cart; Namjoon was standing at the other end of the cart. 

"Yes, because I'm helpless. I thought it will be easy, and we can solve this case after we accused the werewolves, but... but you saw them too. They're like you and me. I can't believe that any of them made such horrible things to innocent people."

"Or they're just great actors" read the list, and started to looking around in the place.

"Yes, maybe, but..."

"What's the next step?" Jin found the heaven of instant ramens; Namjoon knew they won't get out of this place soon.

"We should put the werewolves aside a little bit, and we have to talk to the vampires, the faeries and the warlocks."

"But they said I was right, and the wounds were made by werewolves" threw the packages in the cart; Namjoon looked at the food then at the shelf.

"We need every information."

"Well, alright" Jin sighed, when he was ready ", but don't forget. The Clave is after you" continued his way to the meats.

Namjoon tried to understand what the other meant, then he shook his head and with a big momentum he followed his friend between the shelves to the meat counter, where Jin was studying the foods like he was a professional.

"What do you mean?"

"What do you think why did the Jungkook fan club come?"

"Well... do you mean his sister and Lisa?"

"Exactly! I'm sure it was because of the Clave! Yes, I want this" pointed at the meat through the glass. "And this one... and... okay, I want this too" shrugged then turned back to Namjoon. "Do you see my problem?" took the packaged meats, and put them in the cart.

"So..."

Of course Namjoon did not know the context between the meats and the Clave. 

"It's like shopping for an army. What if because of the Clave those two women will live in the Institute too? Hm? Do you see this list?" showed it to him, and held it so close to his face the letters were unclear to Namjoon. "Well, this list will be longer if they move in."

"Jin" held his wrist, and pushed him away gently with the list ", nobody will move in. And I will try harder to solve this case, so..."

"Oh!"

Jin's gaze went away from the younger, and it stopped on something behind him. Namjoon frowned and looked back above his shoulder, so he could see too as the seoul werewolf pack's two members chose this supermarket too.

They were talking to the butcher who laughed at something they told him, and he already started to collect the goods. It seemed the old man knew them, and he knew really well what they buy.

"Oh, look!" The shorter man, the alpha, noticed them too, and while Jinki took the meats, Jonghyun walked to the others. "Shadowhunters... in a supermarker."

"And what about you? I didn't know werewolves are shopping. I thought you just... you know... you catch something in the forest." Jin looked at the lot of packaged meats in the shopping cart, when Jinki joined them.

"Yes, well... it's easier, don't you think?" He did not wait for Jin's answer, he turned to Namjoon. "What about the case?"

"I'm very grateful to you because of the help you gave us, but... but we are still in the same position. You just told us we were right about one thing."

"I'm sorry to hear that." The smile disappeared from Jonghyun's face, and started nodding.

"But if we can help you with anything, just tell us." Jinki added, kindly.

"Yes, we know, and thank you, just..."

Before Namjoon could have finished it his phone started to ring in his pocket. He reached for it, but Jin was faster, and he took the phone out of the boy's pocket, pushed the green sign, and put it to his ear.

Namjoon was watching the elder, blankly, but it seemed it was natural to Jin, and seeing his face Jonghyun and Jinki exchanged a look, giggling. 

"Taehyung, if it's about your bloody coffee machine, then I'm very curious why the hell do you ne... what?" Something had changed on Jin's face and in his voice too, and it made the three men around him curious too.

Because of this Namjoon watched the boy with a worried look. Jin swallowed and nodded, but because he realized Taehyung cannot see him, he added quickly:

"Okay. I'll tell Namjoon. We're going."

"What happened?" took his phone back.

"They got a report... I mean... A girl called them, but... but the line was cut off."

"A... A girl? What girl?"

"A shadowhunter."

*

Now it was a kind of habit to Minho that he drove before the restaurant before or after working, paying attention to the board if the place was opened or closed. When he was lucky he sat in for a coffee, but sometimes Taemin could convince him to order some food too.

"I was thinking about something. This restaurant looks fantastic... but anytime I'm here, it's empty." Minho looked around now too, keeping his fingers on the warm mug that was filled with jasmine tea.

"Maybe people can smell the scent of the police, and this is why they're avoiding this place." Taemin told his idea with a big smile on his face, while he was cleaning the glasses.

"So are you saying I'm bad for the restaurant?"

"I wouldn't say that. You leave good tips for me that I shouldn't even accept, so they are in my room, and one day, when you'll be poor, I will save your life with that money."

"Oh, really?" Minho laughed at it, and took a sip from the warm tea.

"Think about it, and call me if you need your money."

"Okay." Minho gave up, and rested his chin on his palm.

He did not even realize he was watching the waiter. They could only hear the christmas music from the radio in the big silence that appeared around them. Taemin was on his tiptoes to put the glass on its place. He swore quietly, when he could not make it for the third try either, and he wished Minho would not there with him, because he could have solved this problem easier, but he quickly forgot about these thoughts.

Minho drank all of the tea from his mug then he left his bar stool without any noise, and walked behind the counter. He thought it will be okay, because he was the only costumer in the restaurant, and the cook was in the kitchen. 

The young man stood on his tiptoes too behind Taemin, took the glass, and put it on its place. Taemin felt the warm breath on his hair, and good thrill ran down on his body that made him close his eyes. He pulled himself together, slowly turned around, and looked up to the detective.

"Thanks."

"Hm..." Minho noticed that they were in a weird situation, and he stepped back. "I was thinking about..."

Taemin blinked with his brown eyes, and from this close Minho could see the birth mark on the man's nose. His bangs covered his forehead, but he could see his eyes perfectly, and Minho felt as his face became warmer.

"How does this machine work?" told the first thing that came into his mind, after he took his gaze away from the waiter.

The shorter one raised his eyebrow, but he did not say anything. He took a cup from the shelf, and put it to the machine. He held Minho's wrist, and pulled the man next to him. He showed and explained everything slowly so the man could understand them. Minho did not interrupt him, he just nodded, and when Taemin finished it and looked at him with crossed arms, Minho was a little bit desperate. He barely remembered the words Taemin told him.

"Aigoo... I thought detectives have good memory." Taemin rolled his eyes, and pulled the man to his place then stood behind him.

He held Minho's wrist, controlling his movements, and he explained everything again, and they were not that complicated now as Minho was paying attention.

"Here... the coffee will be ready soon" let Minho go, but he stayed behind him. "Is your coffee machine still broken?"

Minho swallowed and slowly turned around, hoping the man will take a step back just like he did before, but Taemin stayed.

"Well... yes... I didn't have time to buy a new one."

"I'm glad to hear that... I mean, until you buy a new one you'll get your coffee here."

The coffee machine made a weird, loud sound as it started grinding the coffee beans, that made Minho shudder, and he stepped forward to be farther from the machine. But he did not expect that Taemin won't move, so the taller one hugged the waiter's neck because of reflex, and Taemin put his hands on the man's waist.

"Are you afraid of the sound of a gun shot too?" Taemin asked, quietly, and he looked into Minho's big eyes then he led his gaze lower to his lips.

"I..."

He thanked everything that his phone started to rang. He escaped from Taemin's arms, and took the phone out of his pocket with shaking fingers. A relieved sigh left his lips, when he saw the name, and he tried to calm his heartbeat down before he answered the phone.

"Hi, Zoe, is something wrong?"

Hearing the name Taemin made a sad, not so surprised smile, and while Minho was on his phone, he turned the coffee machine off, took the cup, and put some milk and sugar into the hot drink.

"Yes, I will send him the records. Alright, it's okay, bye."

Minho did not talk more, so Taemin looked up from the counter, and he was thinking about how to ask him, but in the end his directness won.

"Is your girlfriend missing you?"

"Zoe isn't my girlfriend, she... she's a friend and a co-worker."

"But I guess your girlfriend is missing you. It's Saturday night, and you are in an empty restaurant with a stranger. Hm?"

"I... I don't have a girlfriend."

Taemin made a smirk, but he did not say anything. He stretched his hand out with the coffee to the man, but Minho shook his head, so he shrugged his shoulders, and tasted their work.

"I have..."

The waiter was blinking at him above the steamy coffee.

"I have to go now."

He took the price of the tea out, and put it on the counter next to the empty cup. Taemin nodded, understandingly, and put the half-empty cup down.

"Good night."

Minho's arm stopped in the air, while he was putting his jacket on. He turned around slowly, connecting his gaze with the long haired man's, and he just nodded, because he was afraid his voice would be shaking then he stepped out to the cold night. 

*

When the alpha offered their help in the new case Namjoon agreed immediately. Yoongi could find out where did the call come from, and he sent the details to Namjoon, who used them as help to find the right place in the dark roads.

They arrived to a part of the city that was creepier than the street of the werewolves. The red point signed on the screen that they arrived, and everybody looked at the abandoned house with a frown, because they thought nobody has entered it for long years.

There were withered grass and sear flowers in the garden, when Namjoon and Jin took their seraph blades out, and as they murmured their names the weapons had shining lights, just as the werewolves greenish-yellow eyes.

Namjoon carefully opened the jarring door, and the others followed him without any noise. They only got light from the seraph blades and the werewolves' eyes, and because of the last ones Jin shuddered, but he tried not to care about the werewolves.

"Look." Jinki spoke first since they entered the house.

All of them looked at the floor that was covered with dust and footprints. Not all of them were visible enough, but at least they showed that there was somebody in the building. While the shadowhunters were studying the footprints the werewolves went further to continue the searching in the place, when they heard a cracking sound in the silence. Jinki immediately stopped, just as Jonghyun, who was before him, and now he looked at his boyfriend, curiously.

"What's that?" Namjoon stood up from the floor, and looked at the phone in Jinki's hand; its screen was broken.

He tried to press the buttons, but the phone did not work. Well, at least they knew they were in the right place, and Namjoon made a relieved sigh.

"Okay, so this is the house. Now we just have to find the girl, who..."

"Namjoon..."

All the three men looked at the shadowhunter after they heard Jin's voice, who was standing close to a wall, making light with his seraph blade in the spiderweb covered part of the place.

"I... I think I've found her..."

They could see the blood on the floor because of the light then as they guided their gazes upper they could see the girl herself as a pointed lath went through her stomach. Namjoon wanted to approach her quickly, but Jin stopped him what the leader did not understand.

"What are you doing?"

"Look" pointed to the dusty floor.

The werewolves did as Jin told, and they saw that there was not any footprints near to the wall. Namjoon and Jin looked at each other, and although they did not say anything both of them thought about the same thing. 

"Magic?" Jin asked quietly.

"Any downworlder is capable of doing things like this." Jonghyun interrupted them, going closer to the shadowhunters.

"Even werewolves?" Namjoon asked with serious voice.

Jonghyun hesitated and looked at Jinki next to him, who was horrified because of the girl's body.

"Yes, even werewolves. But when we entered this place I didn't smell the scent of werewolves."

"Well, I can't check that, right?" Namjoon asked with an apologetically tone then walked to the body, leaving minimum footprints.

Yes, the girl was a shadowhunter. They saw runes on her neck, and a red streak signed the line of the blood on her chin. She could be twenty years old, or even younger. Jin carefully touched her neck with his long fingers, just in case, but he pulled them away, disappointed, and when he felt Namjoon's gaze on himself he shook his head.

"A shadowhunter could have survived this, or... or she could have stayed alive longer."

"What are you thinking about?" Jinki asked before Namjoon.

A weird, knocking sound was heard from upstairs. Jonghyun nodded to the others then slowly walked to the rotted, not so safe stairs, making thin line on the railing with his claw.

"Maybe not this lath caused her death."

There were just as chaotic and dark places in upstairs as downstairs. Some of the tiles were missing, just as the pieces of the ceiling, so he could see the half-moon in the dark sky that gave light through the small gap, showing the dance of the dusts.

The knocking sound became louder, and Jonghyun turned to the way of the sound. He saw a wardrobe on the floor, but as he went closer he could see that somebody was knocking on it.

"Some... somebody... help me..."

Jonghyun's heart went weak after he heard the squeaky voice, and making a decision he lifted the huge wardrobe, and threw it to the other end of the corridor. The man who was under the wardrobe until now whined again, but he sat up with the help of his hands, and he tried to be as far as he could from Jonghyun. He was shaking because of the fear, blood was running down from his temple on his dusty cheek, and when he felt the cold wall behind his back he continued:

"Ple... please, don't kill me."

The young man started sobbing, and Jonghyun realized he scared him with his actions, and he scolded himself because of it. Maybe it would have been better if Jinki went with him to upstairs.

"I won't hurt you, don't worry" leaned down to him. "Can you move your leg?"

The stranger looked at the mentioned body part, sniffing, and Jonghyun made a smile, when he saw as the boy's leg moved a little bit.

"I'm Jonghyun. We'll get you out of here, okay?" After the boy nodded Jonghyun contined. "What's your name?"

It was like the stranger hesitated, and Jonghyun totally understood it, because the young man was scared to death after what happened to him before, although he did not know what was that.

"My name... is Kibum."

*

Minho knew this little walk was good for him in the cold air before he went home. He had to think about a lot of things. He knew he was an idiot. Why did not he tell him he has a boyfriend? It was not that hard. He wanted to hit his head to the wall, but one of his neighbor arrived too, and Minho did not want him to call him crazy, so he just made a tired smile and nodded to him.

While he was walking on the stairs he could only think about a good shower and his bed. Maybe he should watch a movie after the shower, so he can think about other things not the ones that happened before. But nothing happened. He calmed himself with it while he was searching for his keys, and when he looked up to the door he saw a box and a boy before the wall.

"Taehyung? What are you doing here?"

"I..." Taehyung became uncertain. He wanted to make the man happy, but it seemed he had a hard day. "I just... I brought something for you" leaned down for the present, and showed it up.

"This..."

"This is a coffee machine. I know yours is broken, and you don't like the coffee in your office."

Seeing Taehyung's bashful smile Minho's throat went dry. He put the key in the lock, and let Taehyung in after he took the box from him.

"You shouldn't have bought a coffee machine, Tae." Minho closed the door with his leg, and put the box on the kitchen counter. "But thank you" added, when he saw the young boy's sad face.

He wanted to see that innocent smile that he loved about Taehyung, so after a little time he stepped to him, took his face between his palms, and kissed him.

"Hm...." Taehyung pulled away, when he felt the man's tongue on his lips. "I should go home. The guys found a..."

"Can't you stay for the night?"

Minho's big eyes were looking at him so despairingly Taehyung became weak in his arms. He knew it can be more than a hard day in the work place, but he waited paitently for Minho to tell him everything.

As he nodded to the offer Minho lifted him up, Taehyung hugged his neck, and soon he felt the mattress under himself. Minho gave a small kiss on the dark rune on his neck, and his fingers unbelted Taehyung's jeans that made the boy vigilant. 

"Hey, Tae" told him gently, when the boy turned his head aside. "Look at me, hm?"

The boy's lips parted, when Minho wrapped his long fingers around , and using this the man invited him to a more passionate kiss, trying to forget about everything that happened today.