We are not the Clave

HIATUS - The Seoul Institute

The growl of his stomach wasn't that helpful, when he wanted to sleep. And when finally he could fall asleep he heard noises from the corridor, and although he buried his head under the pillow he could still hear everything. Jin and Namjoon came back, and soon he heard Hoseok's worried and curious questions. But Yoongi didn't want to deal with these things, so he closed his eyes again, maybe ha can sleep back. 

He became vigilant after a few hours, but then he didn't hear anything from outside, and only his stomach's sounds were heard in his bedroom too. As a first step he turned the computers on, then put a black hoodie on, and sat down on the rolling chair, tiredly.

Coffee. Yes, he needed coffee.

As the monitors came to life Yoongi immediately reached for his headset, but before he could have put it on he heard a happy whistle from the corridor. It could mean only one thing, and he really hoped he locked the door last night. 

He made a grimace as he heard the door's jarring sound, but he could smell the caffeine's strong scent. It made him place the headset on his shoulders, and he slowly turned around with his chair.

"I would say 'Good morning, sunshine!'... but because of the curtains I can't see anything that connected to the sun." Hoseok complained, but shrugged and put the cup on the desk.

"Are you here to give me some furnishing advice?" he placed the cup to his dry lips, and drank almost half of the dark drink. Black coffee with one sugar. Exactly as he liked it.

The strong caffeine dose made him so busy, he was surprised that Hoseok was still in the bedroom, and now he was heading to the window, where he pulled the dark curtain aside to take a look at outside. The light attacked Yoongi's eyes, so the boy squinted and put the cup back on the desk, dourly. He did the same with his headset, and left his comfortable chair to finally make some peace in his room; he just had to get rid of Hoseok.

"Anything for you... And I brought some news" he turned away from the window with an excited smile.

"If it's not about something like the Institute is on fire, then... please leave."

"I think you would go back to your bed then too" he told his honest opinion, and walked past his friend, approaching the bed.

"Hoseok... now I'm really not in the mood to deal with you... or with anybody" he followed the boy, and stopped before the bed. "So... if you are aching to tell me the news, do it quickly then get out."

Hoseok shuddered because of the last part of the sentence, but he pulled himself together soon, and looked up to the boy with a shining face. He rested his hands on the mattress behind his back, and cleared his throat to start his speech.

"Well, as you know Jin and Namjoon came back yesterday night. They even brought the werewolves home... they were sleeping in one of the bedrooms... Thanks to the Angel Dasom didn't come with them. It would have been really..."

"Dasom? Who the hell is Dasom? And why are the werewolves here? Ah... whatever. You told me what you wanted, so now..." he grabbed the boy's arms, strongly, to pull him up from the bed, and lead him to the door.

"But I couldn't tell you the most exciting part!" Hoseok frowned and his whole body tensed to make Yoongi's situation harder, but it didn't end in the way they wanted.

Yoongi wasn't happy at all, when he lifted his head up from the sweater covered shoulder, but then he met Hoseok's shocked eyes. His fingers still held the boy's arms against the mattress, and it just made the situation more awkward. Their bodies were pressed against each other. They could feel the other's heartbeat.

Every little touch that Hoseok's lips gave him burnt his skin, and his heart was beating faster than ever. Before his heart could have escaped from his chest he pulled the younger up, and Hoseok didn't protest, when Yoongi's shaking fingers started ing his shirt. 

Both of them gulped, and while Hoseok was watching him with blushed cheeks, Yoongi took his gaze away and immediately sat up. The situation still wasn't perfect, because he was on Hoseok's hips, but he quickly turned around and left the bed like one of its springs was helped him.

"The fact that the werewolves are here is exciting enough... Thanks for the coffee."

"Oh." It was a rare moment, when Hoseok didn't know what he should say. "Then... I'll see you at lunch... I guess... or not" he added and turned back from the door.

"Or not." Yoongi agreed. It made Hoseok nod, and he left the bedroom. 

Now he had to defend his private life. Yoongi hurried to the door and turned the key in the lock. He scolded himself because he didn't do it earlier. He walked to the window, rolling his eyes, to adjust the curtains, but before he did it he saw a car in front of the building. He saw it sometimes, but now he didn't really care what Choi Minho was doing here.

"Then... I'll go." Taehyung broke the silence, and removed his seatbelt.

"Tae..."

"Hm?" His hand stopped in the air, when he wanted to open the door.

"Are you okay?" he rested his hand on the boy's shoulder, and pulled his coat's collar aside with the boy's shirt to see the hickey he made last night. 

After every movement Minho pressed his lips stronger on the rune that covered Taehyung's skin between his shoulder and neck.

Of course Minho suspected that his back was decorated with his boyfriend's fingernails' marks, but it was better than Taehyung's situation, who will have to wear clothes that cover his hickey.

"Sure" he went closer and gave an innocent kiss on Minho's cheek that immediately made a smile on the elder's face. "I'm a little bit tired... but I'm okay" he calmed the other with it and gave a small kiss on Minho's shoulder too. Now the detective laughed too.

"Tae... if you don't want to spend the whole day with me, maybe you should get out of the car now, hm?"

He felt one more last kiss on his cheek then he heard as the door opened and closed. Taehyung walked to the tall, black wrought iron fence, but before he went to the stairs he turned back and waved to his boyfriend, happily, who did the same. His smile was weaker, though. 

Taehyung didn't want anything else but a hot bath, silence and to be alone. As he closed the huge door behind himself he already walked to the caracole, and during a jaw he approached his bedroom's door in the end of the corridor.

Only a few moments separated him from his room, and he could have been alone. But he heard steps from near, and although his hand was on the knob, he looked up, and his gaze met Jeon Jungkook's dark eyes as they were looking at him.

"Where the hell were you? You look like ... like you didn't sleep last night, and... are these your clothes from yesterday?" Jungkook's questions didn't stop, and Taehyung felt like he was in the police station during an interrogation.

"Well... I... I just..." He realized he shouldn't even give him an explanation, so he changed the topic. "What about the others? Are they okay?"

"Yeah... they said they let the guy rest for the night, and they will talk to him today. They'll be in the hall if you want to know."

"I think I need to rest, too" he sent a smile to the younger, and he opened the door, but Jungkook grabbed his arm and pulled him back. 

First he thought he saw it wrong, but now as he was closer he could see the purple bruise perfectly. It was almost covered with the shadowhunter's clothes, but Jungkook noticed it anyway.

"I knew since the beginning that this relationship is weird. A detective... a mundane detective."

Taehyung knew he was a peaceful person, but every time Jungkook said the word 'mundane' he felt anger.

"And there is the ."

"Minho isn't that old..."

"I knew you are not with him because you want this. Tell me... How long has he beaten you?"

It was too early for a conversation like this for Taehyung. He already drank a cocoa at Minho's place, and they mixed it with a little bit of coffee, but he was still too tired, and now he was not in the mood to listen to Jungkook's pointless words.

"Nobody's beating me... Minho wouldn't hurt me, and... and I'm just very tired, so..."

"See... he doesn't even let you sleep" he interrupted. "What the hell were you doing if you couldn't..."

And finally everything was clear. The circles under Taehyung's eyes. The purple hickey on his skin. He spent the night with Minho, and now Jungkook was sure they wasn't playing with cards.

He let Taehyung's arm go like he was hit by electricity, and he took a step back. Jungkook blinked at him after he realized what could have happened, and because he couldn't look into Taehyung's eyes, he just turned around. Although he wanted to go to the kitchen first, now he stormed into his bedroom, leaned to the closed door, and shook his head.

*

There were some empty rooms in the first floor, although there were a lot of people in the Institute already, and it just gave headache for Jin nowadays, these empty rooms were perfect if they had guests from Idris. But they were useful in times, when the Seoul werewolf pack's alpha and beta had to spend the night there, or if a young man - they didn't know anything about except that he was found in an abandoned house, where a murder was - had to sleep somewhere.

In the beginning Jonghyun thought he should just knock and leave the breakfast in front of the door what he made in the kitchen. While the shadowhunters were arguing about the breakfast for their guest Jonghyun found a box of cereal, and after he poured some milk on it he left the kitchen.

He knocked and leaned down to place the tray on the floor, but he stopped. He thought he should talk to him or check on him if he is okay, before the shadowhunters start to ask question from him.

The alpha didn't get any answer from inside, so he knocked again, and as slow as he could he opened the door. The bedroom was the same like the one he shared with Jinki last night. A baldachin bed almost in the middle of the room. Worn curtains at the window. Scratched floor and wardrobe.

He didn't have to search that much he found the stranger soon. The young man was sitting on the bed, hugging a pillow, covering himself with a blanket. Maybe he thought he can defend himself with them from the horrible things of the world. Jonghyun wanted this to be true, but unfortunately he knew the reality too well that was waiting for them outside.

"Good morning... Kibum, right?"

The boy looked at him, carefully, but he didn't say anything. His fingers were playing with the pillow, and he pulled his legs to his stomach, then rested his chin on the pillow.

"I thought I should make you breakfast. I didn't know what I should make... tell me you're not allergic to milk."

"So, are you the chosen one?"

Jonghyun looked up from the tray, and he was thinking about the question. First he didn't understand it, so he approached the bed, and he put the tray on the nightstand.

"I think you're thinking about Harry Potter." He wanted the boy to calm down a little bit.

"Did I make a big mistake?"

"Well... he was a wizard, not a... not a werewolf." Sooner or later he would have known about it, and last night he could see the strength of the alpha, too.

There was a small smile on Kibum's pale face. The elder didn't understand it. He just told to a stranger that he is a werewolf, and the boy didn't say anything. 

"Do... do you believe me, when I say I'm a werewolf?"

The smile disappeared from his face, and Kibum adjusted his dishevelled, dark locks that covered his forehead.

"After what happened yesterday I wouldn't be surprised by anything again. Will your friends ask me about those things? The things that happened yesterday?"

"Obviously. I'm sure it's hard for you, but they just want to help you. This is their job to help... people like you."

"Like me? Why? What am I like?"

He didn't think the boy will ask him questions like this. It should have been the opposite. Jonghyun should have been the one who asked him questions, but now he didn't know what he should say. He leaned to the wooden column of the bed, and ran his fingers through his blonde hair.

"Jjong..."

The called man looked at the way of the voice, and he stepped away from the bed, when he saw Jinki, who was standing at the door. Jonghyun looked at the person, who was sitting in the bed then at his boyfriend. He nodded to Kibum, and rushed to the elder.

"I think it's time to go home. Dasom has to deal with everything alone since yesterday, and..."

"I don't think a revolution happened since yesterday."

"We can never know. I'll go home, by the way. And you?"

"Hm... I think I'll stay. We were in that house, too, Jinki. I'm curious what happened there. Somebody wants the shadowhunters to believe the werewolves did everything, but I trust my pack. It's better if I stay now."

Jinki wanted to say something, but his gaze met Kibum's above his boyfriend's shoulder, so he changed his mind and shook his head. Jonghyun made a decision as an alpha, and he had to support him.

"Alright. Be careful" he squeezed Jonghyun's shoulder that made a smile on the younger's tired face, and after he took one more glance at Kibum he turned around and left in the corridor.

*

Maybe the atmosphere was never as tense as it was on that afternoon on the second floor's hall. At least five minutes passed since everybody arrived who wanted to participate in the meeting to get some information about the happenings of last night.

There was the beginning of a war on the chess board next to the wall. Hoseok was watching the oldest person of the Institute, Kim Hojun, who carefully held a black piece, and pushed Hoseok's knight aside from the battle field, while the younger was deeply in his thoughts. In other times the boy would have sighed dramatically because of this and he would have wanted to get revenge, but now Hoseok was just watching the board with a boring expression, and took a step with one of his pawns. Hojun knew the shadowhunters of the Institute well; every one of them were like real grandchildren, and he was worried about the boy's behaviour, but he knew it's not the perfect place and time to ask his questions, so he tried to take a step with a piece without hurting the boy's.

Jungkook decided to leave his bedroom and finally do some interesting thing. He was mad because he didn't join the head of the Institute and Seokjin last night, while the werewolves did, so at least now he could get the information he needed. He didn't even want to think about the rules of the Clave the shadowhunters broke since he was there, and the werewolf in the room just made him more annoyed. Jungkook was sitting on his usual place, on the interior window still, and for now he was just watching the boughs of the trees in the wind, and the dance of the leaves on the sidewalk.

There was Namjoon and Jin on the couch, and they were waiting for the perfect time to finally start the conversation. Just to make himself busy Namjoon poured a cup of warm tea. He stood up from his place, and gave the drink to Kibum, who was on the other side of the coffee table, sitting in an armchair.

"Won't Jinki come?" Namjoon asked after he looked around in the room.

"He thought it's better if he's with the pack. But I don't want you to suspect my pack again without my knowledge, so... I wanted to be here." Jonghyun told him the situation, sitting in the armchair next to Kibum; his long fingers were dancing on his knee, and he was curious about the result of the conversation.

"Sure, I understand. You two made the right decision." The younger told his opinion then guided his gaze to the person in front of him. "So... Kibum. If you hear any questions you can't or you don't want to answer, I will understand that."

"Namjoon" Jin poked his side ", this is not how it works. Do you think the Clave would talk to him like this?"

"No, if the Clave suspected him enough, now he would be sitting in a prison, and the Inquisitor would talk to him." It was the first time Jungkook spoke since he stepped into the room. "If you ask me, it would be more effective."

"See, Jungkook? This is the difference between the Clave and us. This is not how we deal with our problems." Namjoon sent a smirk to the younger, and he went back to their original topic. "Kibum. About yesterday... Could you tell us about it? I'm curious what you were doing in that house, and if you knew that girl...or not."

"Sooyoung..." he put the cup down on the table, when his fingers started shaking a little bit.

"Yes, so... so you knew her." Namjoon finally got some information. "The Institute got a call from her, but the line has been cut off. Do you know anything about it?"

Kibum's lips parted from each other, and he looked forward, more precisely, he looked at his cup of tea. It was like he was remembering everything about last night. Jonghyun noticed how pale he became, and he decided if the shadowhunters' questions are too painful to the boy, he will end this whole interrogation.

"She needed someone. I wanted to help her, but..."

"You don't have runes." Jungkook stated, interrupting the young man's sentence. "I'm sure you are not a shadowhunter. What were you doing there then?"

"Sooyoung was my friend..."

Jungkook rolled his eyes after he heard this, and he thought this is ridiculous, but Namjoon and the others felt sorry for the stranger, who had to lose his friend.

"So you did know that Sooyoung" Namjoon repeated the girl's name "was a shadowhunter. It's alright. Shadowhunters and mundanes can be friends. Please, go on."

"We had dinner together, and I wanted to take her home. We noticed that house on our way, and she said she had a bad feeling. She always felt the strange energies."

"Why did she have a mundane friend?"

"I think Jungkook wants to ask if Sooyoung had shadowhunter friends in Seoul." Namjoon tried to save the situation.

Jungkook had nausea because of the boy's politeness, and he wanted to continue with his own words, but then his gaze met the werewolf's, whose eyes brightened up for a moment, and he made a quiet growl too, so the young shadowhunter stayed still and shrugged.

"She came to Seoul a year ago. She told me she never wants to go back to Idris."

"Why?" Hin was really interested about it.

Idris wasn't a bad place. Idris was every shadowhunter's dream, this is why he could sometimes understand the young Jeon's behaviour. It was like waking up from a dream and finding yourself in the cruel reality; the same thing happened to Jin, when he had to leave the family 'palace'.

"Sooyoung's family... her family died in a fire. She told me she can't go back to that place."

He couldn't really concentrate on the game, and Hoseok wasn't interested in the conversation either, but now he slowly lifted his head up, and he felt cold ran through on his spine.

Mommy? Dad?

"I'm sorry to hear that. So... did you go with her into the house?"

"Not immediately. She told me she will take a look around inside, until then I should stay outside. I did as she told me, but... but I heard a scream, and I couldn't wait anymore."

"You went in, and... did you see anything?"

"It was really dark..." he tried to remember the picture that welcomed him in the abandoned house. "It was strange, because I saw light from the street."

"Light?" Jonghyun repeated. "What kind of light was it exactly?"

"I don't know... It wasn't fire or lamp. It just brightened up and then it was gone."

Jin and Namjoon looked at each other, and they knew they were thinking about the same thing; magic.

"When I went inside I didn't see anything... I just heard sounds. Steps. I didn't know what I should do, so I ran upstairs... but that someone... or something followed me, and... and..."

Kibum's breathing became faster, and he put his palm on his chest. Jonghyun stood up and hurried to the boy. He put his hand on his shoulder, while he started to caress his back with his other hand, hoping he would calm him down.

"Now you know enough, right?" he looked at the shadowhunters, who were surprised by the boy's panic attack. Namjoon just nodded, because he couldn't stay anything. "Okay. I lead him to his room, then."

"This... this is a good idea." Namjoon pulled himself together and after he gave his permission Jonghyun helped the shaking boy up from the armchair, and they left the hall together.

As the door slowly closed behind them Jungkook jumped up from the window still and he walked to the head of the Institute to scold him for not letting him ask his questions, but Jin was faster.

"I examined the body, by the way. I didn't want to bring this up, while the guy was here."

"It was a good idea" he patted Jin's thigh then he quickly pulled his hand back, when he realized what he did.

"But we have a little problem. I feel something... it's like a strange energy. I'm not happy to say it, but maybe we need a warlock."

"Alright. I'll call Park Jimin."

After he heard this name Jungkook sighed. It made him mad even more because the shadowhunters couldn't do anything alone, and they needed the help of a warlock. Again.

Beside the sound of the fireplace they heard in the silence as one of the chess piece took a step on the board then all the three of them looked at the old man, who shouted happily:

"Checkmate!"