Coffee with rum

HIATUS - The Seoul Institute

The dull headache was still there, when he stepped inside the Institute which made the little welcoming group in the hall even more annoying. Still the most irritating thing was the girl's voice, who was standing behind Namjoon until she got a glimpse of Jungkook then she ran towards him.

"I was so worried about you!" She whined in a really high-pitched voice that made the boy want to go back into the warlock's quiet apartment despite hating the downworlder. 

"Enough Lisa." Jungran stepped forward, who was also hiding behind Namjoon's back.

Jungkook was ready to thank his sister, but then she punched his chest. Hard. Like 'I-think-my-heart-just-stopped-then-started-beating-again' hard.

"Why did you hit me?" The younger boy grimaced.

"Because you can't take care of yourself! Do you know how scared I was, when Namjoon called that you went missing after a mission?" She shouted, but her eyes were full of tears. 

Upon hearing that the boy blushed and hugged his sister awkwardly. Jungran tried to break free at first, but then circled her arms around his waist, and buried her head into his torso.

"Now that the family drama is over, would you explain me why did the High Warlock of Seoul call me about three unconscious shadowhunters at his place?" Namjoon looked at them, expectantly.

"Couldn't this thing wait? I want to check up on them first. The kids had a long night." Jin intervened which earned some grateful glances from the team.

At any situation Jungkook and Yoongi would have been furious for calling them kids, but if it makes Namjoon stop scolding them they won't complain.

"Fine. But I want to see you three at the library after lunch!" The leader pointed at them before disappearing.

Jungkook leat out his breath that he was holding and wanted to continue his conversation with Jungran, but the girl was out of his arms in the next moment and walked towards Hoseok.

The boy was always proud of his care towards his twin so he could not let her be in the same room as the other boy. However when he tried to block her way another girl stood in front of him out of the blue.

"I was so worried about you, Jungkookie! I had known from the beginning that the Clave made an ultimate mistake, when they put you into this rat hole! I tried to call you on your first day here but you didn't answer." Lisa complained.

"There's no signal in my room." He answerd curtly, hoping that she will realize how boring her company is, but Lisa started to ramble about Idris anyway.

Jungkook was not paying attention - of course - instead he was watching Hoseok and Jungran, attentively. The boy was telling his sister about the 'incredibly dangerous' mission they had last night, where he got injured while he was defending his team. Jungkook would have let it be, but when the elder asked Jungran to draw a healing rune next to the cut inside of his thigh he left Lisa mid-sentence to stop the pair.

"Thank you for visiting me, but I'm sure you have a lot of things to do back in Idris. Get Lisa and go!" He pulled the surprised Jungran towards the library.

"But I wanted to talk more with Hoseok oppa." She pouted, but Jungkook was long immune her charms.

"You'll talk some other time." He said, and Jungran must have work to do indeed, because instead of putting up a fight she followed Lisa to the library.

Jungkook sighed tiredly then jogged up the stairs towards his room. He wanted to take a shower before visiting Jin, but when he saw a boy sitting on his bed he forgot about his plans. 

"Taehyung?" He asked, hesitantly, which made the other shadowhunter snap back into reality. He must have been spacing out, while he was waiting for the younger. 

"Jungkook, hi." The brunet waved shyly.

"What are you doing in my room?" Jungkook raised his eyebrows.

"I... Well... Um... I heard you got injured, and I just wanted to know if you were okay." He responded meekly.

Jungkook got flustered from the answer so all he could do was nodding rapidly with a red face. This made Taehyung's endearingly weird rectangular smile come back, and in the next moment he jumped off of the bed, and hugged the younger tightly.

"I'm glad you're okay." He murmured before left the room.

The younger stood there for a long time after that with his palms on his furiously blushing cheeks.

*

He almost spent his all day with thinking; it is not that exciting. Minho had to deal with a man in the morning, who reported that his bride was missing. First he thought she was with her friends, but they did not know anything about her. The woman's name and photo were enough to Minho to know who she was. He wanted to tell the man that his bride was dead, but at the moment he did not have any evidence, because the shadowhunters had all of them, so he could not involve his co-workers or his boss. There was only one person who could help him; Kim Taehyung. The young man looked at the clock, what was on the wall; he had to be at the Institute in half an hour to pick Taehyung up and go with him to his own apartment.

Minho turned the computer off in front of him, put the papers into the drawer, what he locked with a key as he always did, and he already took his jacket on what was on the back of the chair, when the phone on the desk indicated a message.

A smile appeared on his face immediately, when he saw Taehyung's name on the screen, then a sigh escaped his lips, after he had read the short message, and slowly sat back on the black swivel chair.

There is a little chaos in the Institute, Jungkook got injured, but he's okay now... Can we meet another time?

The young woman who had entered the office could not help but notice the sadness on his friend and co-worker's face. She looked at the two hot paper cups in her hands, and while she put one of them on her mentor's desk, she walked to Minho's with the other, and carefully put it down next to the calendar.

"You need it more, I guess." The girl shrugged with a kind smile on her round face, after Minho looked up at her, questioningly.

"You wanted to leave, what happened? You look like just like me, when my grandmother found out that I drank all of the vodka."

"Dmitrij's talking about vodka again. What a surprise."

As they heard their boss' voice the girl went back to her desk, what was next to the Russian man's. She put her glasses on, and opened a file on the computer.

"Zoe, what about the..."

The young woman knew exactly what her boss wanted, because he talked about this all day, and she gave him the envelope with the papers in it.

"Ah, thank you. Choi? Do you have any information about the missing woman?"

"Well..." The man ran his fingers through his dark locks, and wanted to open the drawer, but he realized he locked it earlier, so he started to look for his key in his pocket. "No, Chief, I haven't found anything, yet."

"Didn't you go outside? Did you think you will find her in this building?" leaned to the man's desk.

Minho swallowed and shook his head, continuously looking down. 

"It's not like a puppy would have disappeared, Choi. I want to see you in my office tomorrow, and I hope I will get a detailed report from you."

"Come on, Hyungsik, you can see this poor kid doesn't look fine. Did you get some bad news, son?"

Dmitrij was in charge of the good mood in the office, though, if he saw that his co-workers had problems he became a real father and protected them, Minho and Zoe too.

"Maybe in Russia or in America you can take the emotions to the office from home, but you can't do that here. Choi, go home, and I will wait for the report" adjusted his necktie, and left the office.

His older co-worker was right, Minho had problems. He was thinking about the case all day, he had no idea what he should do and he hoped Taehyung will help him. Of course he did not blame the boy, because it was not his fault that the new shadowhunter in the Institute got into trouble. It was his job, and Minho knew it.

He already left the second green light, when the car started to be slower, and it made a strange sound. Minho immediately looked at the dashboard, and parked in the first free place. The man rested his head on the steering wheel, exhausted, and pulled the key out. He even noted to himself that he should fill the tank, but he completely forgot about it.

Minho got out of the car, locked it, and looked around in the busy, night road. Fortunately he had to walk only half an hour to his home or a little bit more. He barely took a few steps, when he felt cold drops on his nose, and as he looked up at the dark sky it started to rain. He was not even surprised in a day like this.

"Seriously?" asked just like that, and he hoped he will find a bus station.

After some minutes of walk he still did not find any place to protect himself from the rain. He even thought about going back to his car and wait until the rain stops, or he should go to a restaurant. Minho was deep in his thoughts, he needed a little time to realize the rain drops did not attack his face anymore.

He still saw the raindrops in front of himself, and he heard a strange, knocking sound above his head. Minho looked up and saw a black umbrella.

The man led his gaze through the umbrella's handle, and jumped back with surprised, when he noticed the other person under the umbrella.

His light brown hair was in a pony tail, so his bangs hugged his face. The young man was wearing a white shirt and an apron around his waist. he could be a few years younger than Minho, but of course he could not be sure about it.

"I have three guesses. You're drunk, you're a foreigner, or you got kicked out."

Minho was looking down at the shorter one with a raised eyebrow. The other started to study Minho's face. Exhausted eyes with dark circles; wet, dark locks because of the rain.

"Hm... okay. Usually, foreigners don't stand in the rain if they got lost. I can't smell the scent of alcohol either, so..." He did not know the man did not want to finish it or he just looked for the words, but in the end the long haired man only shrugged. "I'm sure you had a day, right?"

He could not say anything. The stranger grabbed his wrist and put the handle of the umbrella in his hand, then without any word he turned around and walked into the building next to them.

The board said they were closed. The man obviously cleaned the place what was for the guests. He could not find out it was a restaurant or a coffee shop, but the stranger was cleaning the tables in that moment. He could have noticed Minho was watching him through the glass, because he straightened up, wiped a lock away, what almost covered his eye, and looked at the man with the umbrella.

With a cloth in his hand he went to the door and opened it; he could hear the sound of the rain even better.

"Did you think I will give you my umbrella? Come in, maybe your clothes can dry a little bit until I finish this."

Minho was standing for some moments, unmoving, then he cleared his throat and entered the place. The man, who could be a waiter, stepped to him, took the umbrella away from him, then turned the key on the lock.

"We're closed officially, I don't need more guests today" explained and put the umbrella down in the corner, where was no table or decoration.

While the waiter walked behind the counter Minho looked around in the place. There were painting on the claret coloured walls. A piano in one of the corner showed it was not just a cheap pub. Behind the counter there were different kind of drinks, and Minho could only take his gaze away from them, when the waiter started to put the dried cups to their places.

"I guess you had a long day" said and took a small look at Minho.

"Oh... you have no idea." The man sighed and took the wet jacket off.

Minho hanged the jacket on the nearest coat hanger, then walked back to the counter, where he took a seat on one of the bar stools.

"What about a coffee?"

"Well..."

"With a little bit of rum?"

He did not want to work anymore today and he did not plan to drive, so he nodded and watched as the man approached the coffee machine, what was like the Italian ones in the movies. Minho watched as the black caffeine drops filled the white cup. While the machine's growling sound and the drops' calmly song complemented each other the long haired man reached for one of the shelves and took a glass. He put sugar and milk on the counter for Minho, and pressed a button on the machine what went silent, and poured some drink from the glass into the cup.

"Here."

"Thanks... and sorry. You have to stay because of me." Minho realized this place should have been closed by now, and he should not have entered it.

"I have a lot of time, so don't worry" smiled, but Minho knew people too well, and he knew it was not honest, although he did not want to ask about it.

He was not working now, he was just a guest, and this man was a completely stranger; Minho had nothing to do with his life.

"I'm sure it can be really tiring to work here all day." Minho noted so the awkward silence did not find them.

"Hm..." thought about it and with a movement he wiped his hair to his chest, so Minho could see some blue locks too beside the light brown ones. "If a guest makes me upset I just spit into their drink."

Minho started to cough after he tasted the coffee with rum. It was delicious; one of the best he had ever drunk, but the man could surprise him with it.

"Oh my God, I was just kidding. Jesus, you believe everything what people tell you this easily?" put two napkins before Minho during laughing. "Do they deceive you in your workplace too?"

"I hope they don't." Minho put the cup down on the little plate. "I'm a detective."

"Oh, " dropped the sponge, and his lips parted from each other. "Are you serious?"

The taller one really enjoyed that the waiter became so pale, and he even showed him his badge. 

"Listen, usually, I don't let anyone to come here after closing time, so..."

"Don't worry. I don't really deal with little things like this. And this coffee is perfect... the best thing what happened to me today."

The waiter made a relieved sigh, leaned down for the sponge and put it next to the sink. Minho saw he looked around and took the apron off. He could finish his work, and now he only waited for Minho to drink his coffee and go gome.

"As I see it's not raining now, so... thanks again for the coffee." He had no idea how much the coffee costs, so he just put some money on the counter what included the tip too.

"You were my guest."

"No, I..."

"Didn't you know? After every day people can get free coffee."

First Minho just stared the other, blankly, then the long haired male sighed and took the empty cup from the counter and put it in the sink.

"Is every detective having such a bad humor as you do?"

"I'm just bloody tired, that's all" put his jacket on and waited until the waiter left the counter.

He took his light coloured coat and rushed to the umbrella. When he came back to the entrance, he turned the lights off, opened the door then locked it after he turned the alarm on.

"If you go in that way you will find a bus station" shared the information with Minho, and looked up at him.

"Oh, okay, thank you." Minho nodded, although he could just walk to his apartment, and before he could have changed his mind he extended his hand. "I am Minho, by the way. Sorry I'm telling this now... I should have done it earlier."

The young man was watching Minho with his hands in his coat's pocket, and before the detective pulled his hand back he accepted the kind gesture.

"I'm Taemin."