MISSION 09

The Chaser

Mingyu and Boram walked out the station one afternoon, looking gloomy.

“Where should we go now?” Mingyu asked. “Since we’re forbid from entering the station for 2 days. How can you let that guy get away with the glock the other day?!”

“I know. It’s my mistake and I’m sorry that you have to hear Chief Jung blabber too” she didn’t dare to lift her head. Mingyu sighed. “What to do? Things happen” he went to the car. “Get in. We suppose to release our stress, right?”

He drove the car into the main road. Both remain silence. Boram knew this time, Mingyu was totally furious with her action.

“That old man! How can we continue our investigation if we’re given this kind of penalty?” he snorted. “Molla! Let’s just eat first!”

The two enjoying their meal. Mingyu sipped on the soup. Boram stole a glance at him. His face seems to calm slightly.

“Mingyu-yah” Boram called as they finished their meal. “Hm” he replied not taking his eyes off his glass as he drank. “I didn’t let him go thought”

“Who?” “That guy who stole the glock” “Then where is him?” “I’m only telling this to you. Please don’t let anyone else know” “Sure” “Who do you think will take it easily?” “Someone who had been stealing for a long time can easily take it without getting caught, right?” “Nae” “Don’t tell me-”

Mingyu gasped. “Min Yoongi?”

“Kim Jooyoung will hire someone who can bring advantage to him” “He works for Jooyoung?” “Yes. Yoongi told me” “So the other day…” “Yes. I met Yoongi. And he was badly injured” her eyes saddened. “I kind of worry about him these few days”

Mingyu snatched her phone from the table. He unlocked the phone and the screen display call log she had cancelled after trying to contact Yoongi.

“Heol!” Mingyu smirked. “You still have his number! Daebak!”

“Yah” she took it back and bit her lips in embarrassment.

“Aigo, my friend here is all shy over a guy” Mingyu teased. “Go on, Boram. Ring him and ask if you’re so concern of him”

“Aniya” she shook her head. “Then” he took it and called the number. “I’ll call him”

“Mingyu-ah!” she struggled to take away the phone but Mingyu held it up.

“Hello” a voice from the other line answered. They had their eyes widened. Boram covered with her hands when Mingyu gave the phone to her.

“Hello, anybody there?” Yoongi voice could be heard from the phone. She shook her head and mouthed ‘aniya’. Mingyu pouted and mouthed ‘Come on, Boram’.

“Park Boram” Yoongi called. “Is that you?”

Both Mingyu and Boram froze. She slowly brought the phone to her ear.

“If that’s you, I just want you to know that I had been saving your number all these years. And never will I delete it. And I’m sorry about the other day”

Boram remembered he slipped away the other day at the alley.

“I shouldn’t just leave without a goodbye. Well, if you’re still angry with me I’m asking for your forgiveness. I’m sorry” there was a moment of silence. Her heart sank. *No I’m not mad at you, Yoongi*

“I’m hanging up then” The line ended.

“Boram-ah, mianhae” Mingyu called. “No it’s okay” she swallowed the lump and nodded. “I’m fine” she mustered a smile.

Mingyu caressed her head to comfort her.

 

Yoongi saw them from outside the restaurant. He pulled the white hoodie over his head again and walked away. *I was over excited from her call for no reason*

 

 

Boram scrolled through her phone as they walked at the pavement.

“You received messages from ‘them’ again?” Mingyu asked. She nodded “Everyday. It’s not that my foster family didn’t know about my job. They just want to get on my nerve and brag about my brother” she rolled her eyes. “I know he owns a huge company but can they just shut their mouths? They’re annoying even when they breathe”

Mingyu patted her back. “Himnae, Boram!” he looked at her. “I know one day, thing will work out for you”

Boram smiled then went to her phone again.

“Somi must have been very busy lately. She had been declining my offer if I ask her out”

“Running a company sure is a busy life” Mingyu replied. “We sure need to spend time together away from this hectic city”

“You’re right. But where should we go?” “How about Hawaii? I had been wanting to go there” “Sound great! Let me just save up till then. Just imagining it already make me excited!”

* * *

 

Boram was standing in the middle of the investigation divison. Her vision was to the ground, not daring to make any eye contact with anyone on the room. The officers including Chief Jung stared her down as if they were preying on her. Their stares sent shiver down her spine.

"Aish!" Chief Jung ruffled his head in frustration. He shot his furious eyes toward her small being. "Officer Park, you know it's wrong to keep these info secret from us, right? Why did you-- aish!"

"I'm really sorry, sir. I'm sorry everyone" Boram pleaded. "You're protecting a suspect; you know?!" Officer Inseong reprimanded. "I know he's not involve in case" she replied. "And how do you know that? He told you? Hah! You believe in him! Just because he's your ex!"

Boram's eyes fell onto the floor again. Tears started to blur her vision but she struggled to swallow the lump.

"I know it's wrong to protect a suspect. But" she chocked. "I know he's telling the truth. And yes. Because we were together before so I know him better than anyone else. I hope no one take any action against him. Not locking him up. But just trust me and let me investigate him more. He only talks with someone he knows. I know I can help with the case by talking to him. If anyone want to punish someone for this incident" she lifted her head. "That person is me. Punish me. I will take the offense but don’t harm him. Please don’t"

Officer Yoojin lifted his gaze to her. "Officer Park, you're taking this case too personally. But I agree with her handling that guy. Since that guy can give more info regarding the case and help us. Just like the other day at the Galene Jetty, right?" he ran his view to the others.

"But tell me Officer Yoojin" Chief Jung turned to him. "Do you trust a suspect so easily?"

Officer Yoojin couldn’t reply to him but instead he lowered his head. Chief Jung heaved a sigh once again. "Alright then. I let you handle Min Yoongi and we'll see if all the info he gave us is true. And if he's not, he'll be sent to the jail and you lose your batch, Officer Park. How’s that?"

Boram hesitated. She paused a while to think. "Alright. I agree with that"

Mingyu sighed as he peeked down to his phone. He was recording all Boram talking.

* * *

Boram dragged her feet to the nearest bench in the quiet park. She took out her phone and scrolled through the messages.

| Come home now!!! From: Evil fakemom|

“Can they just-” she sighed. She put away her phone and lifted her gaze to the purple and orange sky. It was already late in the evening. “Maybe I should visit home. Though I hate it. But since I forbid from entering the station for a week” she sighed again at the thought of Chief Jung’s speech.

“I let you handle Min Yoongi and we'll see if all the info he gave us is true. And if he's not, he'll be sent to the jail and you lose your batch, Officer Park. How’s that?"

“AARGH!” she ruffled her head and buried her face in her palm. “What am I doing?! How can I risk my dream job for that guy?! Parm Boram, you’re a jerk!”

She was silent for a while. A sigh escaped from her lips.

“Aigo-yah” a person suddenly hugged her. “What happen to my dear friend here? Who hurt you? Tell me and I’ll teach that person a lesson”

“Somi-ah” Boram called and faked a cry. “I’m so tired”

“I know. Everyone is tired too. I’m tired” Somi replied and sat beside her. Boram lifted her head to meet Somi’s eyes. “Aigo” Somi ruffled her head. “My bestie must be too tired from chasing people around. What happen?”

“Nah nothing” Boram mustered a smile. “You’re right. I must be too tired”

“Let’s get some coffee. And you can tell me what happen” Somi suggested. “How’s that? Maybe you’ll be fine after talking to me”

“No it’s okay. I need to head somewhere right now” “Where to? At this hour?” “My family house”

Somi sighed and rolled her eyes in annoyance.

“What did they want this time?” “They just ask me to come home. Well, I already ignored their messages tons of time. Since I have free time now, I should just go there” “Free time? What do you mean?” “Something happen and I can’t go to the station for a week”

Somi gasped. “How can- Never mind. You can use that time to freshen up, right?”

“Definitely” “And if you need me, call me. I’ll see if I’m free at that time” “No you’re already busy with the company. I don’t want to disturb you” “I’m sorry. Lately I have been super busy. You know daddy is not feeling well this few weeks. So I have to help him” “I understand, Somi. Good luck with the company” Boram massaged her shoulder. “Aigo! Our Chariman’s daughter must be stress”

Somi chuckled. “Not that much stress like you. Anway, don’t forget about this Saturday”

“Yeah sure. How can I forget that fanmeet?” Boram smiled. “They’re my favourite idol group”

 

 

Suga was watching Boram from behind a tree. His eyes shifted to the other direction.

* * *

“Hello” Boram opened the door of her family house. The house was where every bad memories created of her and how she had a precious big dream of becoming a cop. She walked into the living room.

“You’re here. Finally” Mrs. Lee who was loitering in front of the TV glanced at her. Boram looked around the messy house. She sighed and picked up a few laundry and put them into the basket. “You should clean the house once a while”

“Tsk!” Mrs. Lee rolled her eyes. “This gijibe think she’s all grown up and she can lecture me”

Boram ignored her talks and asked. “Why do you want me here? You know I’m busy right?”

“Busy? My goodness! You think you can fool me. Cops are not busy. You just loitering around” “Please don’t insult my job, aunty” “You dare talk back to me! Yah! I put roof over your head for years and this is your way of talking to me?!”

Boram rolled her eyes. “I’m not really thankful for that though”

The chip bag in Mrs. Lee grip was thrown to Boram. She shut her eyes from the sudden object. Mrs. Lee sat up and heaved a sigh after throwing the bag. Boram blew her bang away from her forehead.

“You little punk, shut your mouth and go away!”

“You think I want to come here?! You’re the one who ask me to come!” Boram burst. “Aish! I forgot” Mrs. Lee held her hand out. “Give me money. I need to buy some food”

Boram rolled her eyes and reached for her purse. “Where’s your beloved son? He should give you pocket money if he’s too rich”

“You think my son is too cheap like you. Can’t even give pocket money to me” Mrs. Lee stared her down. “I used all of them already”

Boram held out the money and she snatched it. Mrs. Lee counted the bills and smirked. “This is all that you have? Tsk! My son can give 100 times more than this”

“Ask from him then. Don’t call me” Boram turned to the living room. “See? I told you being a cop is not worth it! You can’t even make money” Mrs. Lee jeered.

“Aunty!” Boram burst once again. “Stop insulting people, will ya?! You’re not successful yourself”

“You little punk! Get out!” Mrs. Lee thrown another bag of snack on her. Boram ignored her and dashed out from the house.

 

Boram walked through the pavement. She stepped on the street light as her tears dropped onto the tile. She wiped it with her arms. *Why is this happening to me? What bad luck will happen to me? Is there worse than I already have?!*

* * *

Boram covered her body with her long coat as she huddled on the passenger seat of her car. She glanced out the window. It was her own house. “Let me just sleep here tonight” she whispered. She closed her eyes, trying to sleep. Dark memory from her childhood came into her mind. She remembered how her brother always sneaked into her room at night while she was studying. He ran his hand on her body and this happen many times. She tried to tell Mrs. Lee the truth but the lady only trusts her own son than her, an adopted child. Boram used to sleep out in the tree at their yard and in an old car of her neighbour.

Tear slid down from her face at the thought of the hateful memories. *And from that I want to become a cop, justice is the main. Anyone who commit crime need to pay for it!*