MISSION 23

The Chaser

Boram spent the day with cleaning her house. She was moping the floor when she accidentally elbowed a cabinet nearby, causing it to sway and a few photo frames fell off the cabinet. Boram winched and looked at her hand. It was bleeding as the sharp pieces of glass shredded her skin. She rushed to the sink and washed it. A heavy sigh escaped her lips.

 

Her phone rang and she picked it up only to get shouts from Chief Jung. She apologized to him lots of times. The call ended. She flopped onto the sofa, sighing.

 

Boram was watching TV in the evening but her mind wasn’t focusing on the TV shows.

*Yoongi would never help Jooyoung. He said it himself* she sat up. “Maybe I should talk to him myself”

She called Yoongi.

“Boram” he called. “Well…” she looked around. “You see; I have something to talk to you about”

He chuckled “I was about to call you just now”

“What is it about?” “Well, this afternoon I saw Mingyu at the park. He was having picnic with someone. So I thought ‘Oh maybe they have the day off’. So I thought maybe you have the day off too” “Yes I am but” she accidentally sighed. “Yah, what happen?” “Although I’m on leave, I’m still stressed” “No worry. I know exactly where to take you. Hurry get ready. I’ll come pick you up” “Yoongi-“ but he already ended the line. Boram sighed. “I just need someone to talk to right now”

* * *

Boram was waiting outside of her house. She looked up to the already dark sky and to the road. “Where’s him?” She was wearing a white loose short dress with floral print. She raised her phone and looked at her reflection. “I don’t dress up too casual, right?” She shook her thoughts away. “Why am I being concern? I’m just going out with Yoongi”

*But he’s my ex* she sighed. *How can I go out with him again? I shouldn’t have agree with him just now*

 

The sound of motorcycle broke the silence and a superbike stopped in front of her. The guy on the superbike opened his helmet to reveal his bright hair.

“Yoongi” she called. Her eyes widened at the sight of the superbike. “This is yours?”

“Of course” he smirked. “It just that I don’t really like to us it. I like to keep my things safely to myself” he handed her another helmet. “Let’s go”

“Where are you taking me, anyway?” “It’s secret. But you sure you’re wearing that?”

Boram looked down to her dress. “Do I look ugly?”

“No. I mean… never mind. Let’s go”

* * *

The superbike parked and the two got off.

“Yoongi” her eyebrow furrowed at the sight of the place. “It this the place?”

“Yea sure” he stood beside him. Boram looked up to the night club. “But my clothes…”

“No worry. You already look amazing” he clings arms with her. “Let’s go!”

 

 

They entered the loud area of the club. There were lots of people. Yoongi pulled her to the dance floor.

“Nah. I’ll just sit here” Boram pointed to a table. “Alright suit yourself” he let go off her and walked away with a huge smile as he saw his friends.

Boram sat at the table and propped her arm. She watched as Yoongi enjoyed himself dancing with some random girls. She looked away. *Am I jealous of my ex?*

She sat there at the table while playing with her phone.

“Look who’s here” a guy stood in front of the table. She lifted her head and gasped with her eyes widened. “Haechan oppa” It was his brother.

“What are you doing here alone?” he sat close next to her. Boram moved away from him. He smirked and she was disgusted with his whole being as it brought dark memories. “It’s been a while since we see each other, right? Why don’t we just hang out and chit-chat for a bit? I can accompany you since you’re here alone” he ran his finger to her hair. “Oppa, don’t do this to me” her voice trembled.

“Hey, chill. I only want to spend time with you for a bit” his finger went to her ear then to her neck. Boram stood. She swallowed back the lump. Haechan grabbed her arm and she struggled to free herself. “Oppa, please”

“I’m not letting you go again, Boram! Not this time!” “Please, oppa. Let me go!” “No! You know how much I want you, Boram!”

Tears rolled down her cheeks. “Please, Haechan oppa”

A knock landed on Haechan’s arm that he released her. He lifted his head to the person who knocked him. Yoongi pulled Boram behind him.

“I see you’re still around, kiddo” Haechan smirked at him. He stood and took her arm again. She winched as he held on the wound. Haechan yanked her over and the sudden movement made Boram stumbled to the front. The string on her sandal snapped.

Yoongi kicked him on his face that Haechan fell onto the seat. Yoongi pulled Boram behind him again. Haechan winched as his lips bleed. Yoongi stared down at him. “I warn you years ago, didn’t I?! Lay your hands on Boram again and you’re dead!”

“Let’s go” Yoongi dragged her out.

Yoongi didn’t utter a word as he helped her wore the helmet. She glanced up at him. *He’s extremely furious right now*

The two rode the superbike as it sped off through the road. Boram’s mind went to years ago. She remembered how Yoongi often thrash Haechan whenever he harmed her. Boram blinked back tears at the thought of the memories. Yoongi stopped the motorbike at the side. The two got off.

Yoongi ruffled his head in frustration. “Out of gas” he sighed and turned to her. “I’m sorry. We have to walk from here”

She nodded without a word. Her view went down to her broken sandal. Yoongi knelt with his back in front of her. “Get on”

“Sorry?” “Get on my back”

* * *

Yoongi was carrying her on his back. Boram fixed her arms around his neck. She sighed.

“Yah” he smiled. “You okay, right?” She hummed in reply.

Yoongi smirked mischievously and lifted her to seat on top of a wall.

“Yah, Yoongi!” she started to panic. “Smile or I leave you here” he teased. Boram started to sob “You know I’m afraid of high, right? Why are you making my day even worse? Everyone is hating me today. I got scolded and now you want to leave me here!”

Yoongi chuckled and carried her on his back. “I’m sorry, Boram”

She hummed in reply and hugged him tighter. She rested her head on his shoulder.

 

They stopped at the playground. He let her sat at the swing.

“Wait here” Yoongi left her for a while. He came back again with two ice-creams in his hands. He sat beside her and held out the ice-cream to her. “I got your favourite lemon ice-cream”

  1. she mumbled and received it.

“What’s wrong with that?” he pointed to her wounded hand. “Oh, this” she smirked and glanced at the wound. She started to tell him what had happened and what had burden her the whole day.

Yoongi smiled and patted her back when she started to sob. “Your bos shouldn’t do that. He should have given you courage to keep on trying harder”

Boram gave him a small smile. *I know he’s always comfort me*

 

There was tick-tock silent between them.

“Yoongi-ah” she called. “Nae” “You know about the thing Mingyu had been investigating”

He turned to her. “You’re suspecting me?”

“No. Absolutely not” she mustered a smile. He sighed “I tried to keep this a secret to myself. But it seems that I need to tell you so that you’ll stop suspecting me”

“About Hyukjae hyung” he began. “The day he was dead; I was there at his home. That day he was totally not himself. He took too much drug. I tried to push him out the house. I know Jooyoung had sent someone to kill him. But Hyukjae refuse to move even a bit. So I drag him to the door but then he was furious so we fought a bit. But I didn’t kill him. I stopped when he said he just want to stay. I thought there’s no other way to make him get out from there”

“So that’s it? You just give?” “Unfortunately, I gave up. I know. I’m hating myself for doing so. I left him alone because I knew he was struggling himself all these years. And I thought maybe this is the only way he had to stop all his hardship” “That’s how Hyukjae have many bruises” “Yes. Mingyu is right. I caused those bruises”

“I can’t forgive myself for leaving him dying alone” Yoongi glanced up. “He had to left his brother and mother. I’m so sorry for both of them. But the other day I visit them again, they were no longer around”

“Wait! You visit them?! Hyukjae’s family?” “Yes I did. After Hyukjae’s death, I visited them well… quite often”

-Flashback-

Boram bowed to the old lady she visited her house at the rural area. “Thank you, Grandma”

The old lady was staring into spaces. Boram was about to enter her car.

“Miss” the old lady waved her over. “Nae, Grandma?” Boram asked her. “Someone came to visit them often. A guy” “What did he do?” “Nothing bad. He just came and helped out Jeongja. But he didn’t come on the day of the murder” “May I know how he looks like, Grandma?”

-End of flashback-

“You know what the Grandma said?” Boram smiled at Yoongi. “She said the man was not so tall. At first she thought he was a middle school student. She said his hair is bright and complained about he must be thought he’s an idol to dye his hair like that” she snickered.

Yoongi touched his head. “But I like this colour though” he pouted. Boram laughed and continued “Then I showed your picture to her. And she said I’m right. And she asked how can you have the man’s picture. I told her that we were friends”

“Tsk. Am I being friendzoned again?” he rolled his eyes in disbelief. “I can’t believe this”

Boram chuckled. “So it was true. You had been visiting Hyukjae’s family because you felt guilty”

“Uhuh”

She patted his back. “You did a good job, Yoongi” Yoongi smiled “But unluckily I didn’t pay them a visit on the day of murder. Or I can save them too” he sighed.

“It’s not your fault. We’ll sure to find the murderer one day” she finished her ice-cream. “But how about the account?”

“Jooyoung did use that account to supply me money before this. But I didn’t use the account anymore. I didn’t even touch the money after I found out what he had been doing. I’m sure he still supplies the fund because he wanted to frame me. Because he knew I was helping the cops. Well, I have the prove that I didn’t use the account anymore if you want. Maybe you can pass it to Mingyu” “No you should give him yourself. I don’t want him to see me trying to protect you” “Oh right. I’ll pass it to him later”

She glanced down to her watch. “Anyway, don’t you think we should head home? Your sister must be worried”

“Nah she sleeps early and never wakes up unless it’s bright outside. And I already locked the door so it should be okay”

“Let’s go” he stood. “Let me send you home”

“Nah” she stood. “I can walk myself. You should head home”

“It’s already pass midnight. I don’t think I can leave you walking alone. Let’s go” he walked ahead.

* * *

“Thank you” Boram bowed as they arrived in front of her house. “And I almost forgot. Sorry about the other day. You know, Mingyu sometimes could be-“

“Overprotective” Yoongi chuckled. “I know. He’s your romeo after all”

“Aniya. He’s my bestie” “Yah. Are you going to friend zone everyone?” “Seems like it” she teased. “Goodbye then. See you later” she waved and walked pass the gate.

“Don’t you think our relationship deserve a second chance?”

Boram turned to him. He smiled. She bit her lips and walked backward. “Let me think about that, alright? Good night” she skipped into her house. Yoongi smiled broadly, satisfied with what he just said.