MISSION 24

The Chaser

Mingyu walked into the station again with his hand holding a document.

“What’s that, Mingyu?” Boram asked as he sat at his place. He was still panting. “Yoongi gave me”

“I heard Yoongi’s name” Chief Jung approached them.

“Sir” Mingyu stood and handed the document. “I met Min Yoongi just now” he began to explain. “These are the document about the bank account. It proves that the account was no longer to be used. And about the bruises. He explains that he tried to drag Hyukjae out of the house before he can get kill but he failed. There is witness about his presence at the scene. Hyukjae’s neighbours saw Yoongi came into his house on that day”

“But how can he knows about your investigation?” “Well” Mingyu smiled sheepishly. “I got busted” he glanced at Boram who pretended not to hear.

“It seems that he just cleared his own name” Chief Jung returned the documents.

“New case for our unit!” Officer Inseong came into the room and took everyone’s attention. “Our mayor, Mr. Choi Junhong had been receiving blackmails for the past few days. He requests for investigation ASAP but first he have a speech in the public hall tomorrow morning so he asks for our protection”

“Alright then” Chief Jung clapped his hand to take their attention. “You heard him. We have a new mission. Protect the mayor for tomorrow event and Officer Sejong and Officer Yujin, meet the mayor now and collect information about the blackmail. The others, gather at the meeting room now”

* * *

The next morning, many citizens had gather at the open hall as the mayor supposed to launch the new Go-green programme. Boram looked up. The stage was in front of her. She was standing between the photographer as she undercover as a photographer. She fixed her glasses and ran her view around. Her other teammates were taking their places, disguised as citizens and they received help from another unit. They were taking their places around the open hall.

“Alright, everyone gets ready. The ceremony will start anytime now” Chief Jung informed through the earpiece.

Boram fixed the camera in her grip when someone suddenly bumped into her. “I’m so sorry” the gentleman who hit her bowed. “No it’s okay” she smiled back. The man walked away. She saw the camera in his grip. *He must be a photographer too* The guy stopped not far from her. Boram noticed a metal on the carpet that fell from the guy’s pocket. She bent and picked it up. It was a bullet. She fixed her hat and talked to the others through her watch. “Anyone see this?”

“Yes” Officer Sejong answered as she viewed the screen that display what the camera on Boram’s glasses recorded. She turned to Chief Jung beside her. The two were in a van parked not too far from the venue. “Keep your eyes on that guy” Chief Jung informed.

Boram stayed in her position and often peeked on the guy throughout the ceremony. The event ended with the mayor speech.

“Thank you for everyone who play their part well in order for this event to succeed” Mayor Junhong ended his speech and bowed. The photographers began to take the picture. Boram stole a glance at the guy. *He hasn’t been taking any picture from the beginning*

The guy lifted his camera and aimed at the mayor, ready to take a picture.

*Maybe that’s not just an ordinary camera!*

Bullet was fired towards the mayor. Mingyu who was standing near the stage jumped onto the stage and pulled the mayor away. The citizen started to panic and screams filled the place. Boram turned to the guy that tried to slip away. She dashed to him. She pounced him down that he fell onto the floor. The camera hit the hard floor a bit far from him. Boram tried to pin him down but the guy was too strong that she was thrown away. The guy took out a gun and shot her.

“Boram!” Mingyu shouted while still protecting the mayor.

Blood spilled beneath her weak body. Boram couldn’t make any move and her eyes felt heavy. She watched as the guy dashed away.

She looked up to see Mingyu shook her body with his face furrowed in worry. She saw his lips moved but couldn't hear a thing. Boram closed her eyes slowly.

 

----------------------------------------------------

A/N: A few more chapters to go! Thank u for your support, readers!