MISSION 20

The Chaser

Yoongi lifted his head. Boram put a hot pot on the dining table of her house in front of him. She sat across him.

“You know you don’t have to-“ he voiced. “I can’t let you hungry, do I?” she held out a chopstick to him. “Let’s dig in!”

Boram opened the pot to reveal the hot ramyeon. Yoongi chuckled. He started to enjoy the ramyeon.

“It had been years since we last eat ramyeon together at this hour” he voiced. “Tell me about it” she agreed but then paused. He looked away. “I shouldn’t talk about that time, do I?”

She shook her head. “Aniya. It seems that is your sweet memory”

“Then to you” he fixed his eyes at her. “It’s a bitter memory? Is that it?”

“Yoongi” her eyes saddened.

He cleared his throat and continued to eat. She pretended the conversation didn’t happen and continued to eat.

There was a series of knock on her front door. Both Boram and Yoongi widened their eyes at each other.

“Boram-ah!” Mingyu’s voice could be heard. Both began to panic and she put her chopstick away. Boram pushed Yoongi away from the dining table.

“Don’t try to hide anyone, Boram” Mingyu looked to the umbrellas at his side outside the house. There were two of them. “Yah, open up!”

The door was opened to reveal Boram who was smiling sheepishly. “Mingyu-ah”

He pushed the door opened and made his way into the house. “Yah, Mingyu” Boram kept on calling him but he continued to dash into her house, ignoring him. Mingyu stopped at he saw Yoongi standing at the dining table.

“I thought so” Mingyu glared down on Yoongi. “Mingyu” Boram appeared beside Mingyu. “I can explain”

“What are you doing here?!” Mingyu still looked at Yoongi. “Can’t you see” Yoongi took his place again at the dining table. “I’m eating”

“I think you can eat at your house. Why are you even here?! Why are you disturbing Boram?! Why only now that you appear in front of her again?! Why?!”

“Mingyu, it’s not his fault” Boram interrupted. “I brought him here”

Mingyu turned to her. He was in rage. “Tell me, Boram. Why are you clinging on to him now?! Don’t you hate him?! You cried millions times when you talk about him! Why only now you start to see him again?!” She didn’t dare to lift her head “Mingyu, please. Just leave”

“No” Mingyu pointed to Yoongi. “I want him to leave first!”

“Kim Mingyu!” Boram shouted. “Can you just” she sighed. “Stop controlling me! He’s not like what you think he is”

“Then how’s him, Boram?” Mingyu asked back “You believe in him? You think he’s a good person now just because he helps you?”. She didn’t dare to utter a word. Mingyu smirked. “See? You can’t even answer me”

“No” Boram looked to Mingyu. “I have faith in him. I know him well than other people. I thought as my friend, you will believe him too. You will believe in me and support me” her eyes were teary. “But…”

Mingyu ruffled his head and saw Yoongi. “Why are you even here at her house in this wee hour?”

Yoongi glanced to him “Look who’s talking”

“What?” Mingyu whispered in disbelieve. Yoongi put the chopstick as he just finished the ramyeon. “Can’t you see? I’m only here to eat. And I didn’t plan on doing anything to harm Boram, if that’s what you think” he stood. “I know typical mind set of a policeman. I’m just a criminal and I will always be. Am I right, Officer Kim?”

Yoongi walked to the hallway and glanced back. “Thanks for the meal, Boram” He walked out of the house.

Boram started to sob and took her place at the dining table. She picked up the chopstick. “I should be the one who thank him” she sighed. “You know he did something that can help us in the investigation and there you go sending him away without me even able to thank him properly”

Mingyu was speechless. He lifted his head to the door Yoongi had just went.

“Go home, Mingyu” Boram said coldly without even looking at him. “I’ll see you at the station tomorrow”

* * *

“Officer Park” Chief Jung went to her desk with a broad smile across his face. “Sir” she stood. He shook her hand. “Good job! Thanks to you, we able to locate Kim Jooyoung”

“Really?” her face brightened. He nodded “But Jooyoung escaped just before the team got there. But luckily we able to get our hands on his drug lab”

“Thank goodness” she cupped as she was too overwhelmed. “Good job, Officer Park!” Chief Jung patted on her shoulder. “Nae. Thank you, sir” she bowed and he left.

Boram was smiling and her eyes met Mingyu. Both avoided each other’s eyes. Mingyu immersed into the laptop again. *I must have hurt her greatly. Aish! Kim Mingyu!*

* * *

Yoongi was walking at the town and it was night. He looked through the stores. He walked back and stood in front of an ice-cream restaurant. Dahyun and Jungkook were in the restaurant, enjoying their times together. Yoongi clenched his teeth “That kid will never listen to me” But then he remembered what Boram told him the other day.

“You just need to trust in them and hope for the best in the future”

Yoongi sighed. “I should do the right thing, right?” He pushed opened the door.

“How about this weekend?” Jungkook asked Dahyun. “I have extra class this weekend” she pouted. He laughed and ruffled her head “No worried we can go there next week”

Yoongi cleared his throat and sat beside his sister which obviously made the two jolted in surprise. Yoongi was holding onto the drink in his grip.

“Oppa” Dahyun called.

“Where are you two planning on going? It sounds fun” Yoongi casually joined the conversation. “Oh” Jungkook glanced at Dahyun. “We plan on going to the newly open amusement park next week”

“Oh, I see” Yoongi continued to enjoy the drink. He lifted his view to Jungkook. “Have fun, then”

Jungkook smiled and so did Dahyun.

“Oppa” she hugged him. “Yah, yah. Let me go” Yoongi smirked. Jungkook stood and bowed to him. “Thank you, hyung”

Yoongi smiled and stood. He held on his shoulder. “I entrust my little sister to you. And I believe you will not make her cry or do anything inappropriate to her” Jungkook smirked and nodded. “Send her home on time later, get it?” “Nae, hyung. I will take good care of her”

“Good” Yoongi patted on his shoulder and walked out the restaurant. He glanced back. Dahyun and Jungkook were happy and embraced each other. Yoongi smiled. *I did the right thing. I just want my Dahyun to smile*

He lifted his head to the dark sky and pretended to hold onto his tears. “I’m moved with my own action”

 

Boram who was watching him from inside of her car smiled. “You did the right thing, Yoongi”

* * *

Jungkook was all smiling as he was waiting at the bus stop. He remembered how Yoongi accepted him after all these years. “Finally!”

He glanced around at the quiet road. “I wonder if I can any bus at this hour” he glanced down to his watch. A car pulled over in front of him. He bent down to look at the driver.

“Get in” Boram waved him over. “Noona” he bowed. “Let me drop you home. I’m on my way home myself” “Nah it’s okay” “Come on, get in. In fact, I have something to talk to you about” “Sounds important” he held onto the handle. “Thank you, noona”

He got into the car and smiled. “Thank you, noona” But Boram was looking at the guy who boarded his motorbike in front of them. Her brows furrowed. Jungkook followed her view. “What wrong noona?”

The guy saw Boram and he quickly got onto his motorbike. He sped off.

“Better buckle up, Kookie” Boram held onto the steering. Her eyes narrowed at the guy. “What?” Jungkook was puzzled but she already sped off.

“Noona!” he started to panic. “Stay still, Kookie” she drifted into a corner as the car was chasing the motorbike. “Yah, the seat belt!” she demanded. “Yes, maam” he pulled the seat belt.

Boram continued to chase the motorbike. The motorbike turned into a corner on the right but she missed the corner. Boram sped off through the main road and turned into the next alley. Jungkook looked around trying to find something to hold on. She narrowed her eyes and she saw another alley ahead. She turned the steering and the car drifted to the right into the alley, making a loud screeching sound. She stepped on the break and the car spun. Her eyes were blinded by the motorbike light as it hit the front of the car and the guy flew off the motorbike. Jungkook was panting and opened his eyes a tad. “What happened, Boram noona?”

“You stay in the car” Boram opened the door and walked to the guy who was already laid weakly on the road. She bent down and smiled. “I’m right. You’re Seungwoo. I saw you with Jooyoung the other day at the factory” She bowed. “Hello. I suggest you to stay still while I call for help. Okay, sir?”

Seungwoo sighed in defeated and couldn’t get up as he sprained his ankle. Boram took out her phone and called the station.