MISSION 19

The Chaser

“It’s another tiring day” Mingyu sighed as he and Boram walked out the station. “Tell me about it” Boram wore her coat. Her phone rang and she answered.

“Really?! ----Alright. I’m on my way” she ended the call. “Who is it?” he turned to her. “Yoongi. I need to see him now” “Now? At this hour?” “Yes. It’s about the case” Boram waved at him. “See you tomorrow” Boram rushed to her car.

Mingyu watched as she drove away without even gave a glance at him.

“I wonder how she’ll react when she finds out about him” Mingyu sighed.

* * *

“Yoongi” Boram went to him who was waiting in front of rows of already closed stores. Yoongi glanced at his watch. “I’m sorry for calling you out so late”

“No it’s okay” “Well, since you said to tell you if I can help trace Jooyoung, I know someone who can” “Really?! Where’s him?” she looked around the quite remote place. “But this place looks scary though”

Yoongi grasped her arm. She darted her eyes to him. “What are you doing?”

“You might just want me to hold you until we’re out of there again” “What do you mean?” “Let’s go”

The two climbed the dark flight of stairs up to meet a door of premise guarded by a man with a broad friendly smile on him. “Good evening, sir. How can I help you?”

“I need to see Dongseok hyung now” Yoongi replied to him. “May I know your name, sir?” “Killer Min”

Boram looked up to him but Yoongi didn’t shift his view.

“Please wait for a minute, sir” the man moved to the back of the curtain behind him.

“Was that your name?” she asked him. “I think you’ll want to shut your mouth until we get out again” he still didn’t shift his view.

The man came again, still with his friendly smile.

*What’s going on? Yoongi looked so scared. But this guy right here looks friendly than ever* she titled her head in puzzlement.

“Step right inside, sir” the man smiled but this time with a hint of mischief as his eyes shifted to Boram. She looked down and gulped. Boram gripped on Yoongi’s arm.

Yoongi and Boram stepped into the empty hallway.

“Calm down. I’m here with you” Yoongi whispered as they continued to walk through the dim lighted hallway that seems endless. Boram nodded in reply.

They could hear loud music thumping against the wall as they approached the light at the end of the hallway. She could felt her heart beat raced as fear started to take over her. They stopped at the edge of the hallway. She could see that they were entering a night club with people dancing around enjoying themselves. He led her to walk down the stairs. She glanced at him. He kept a calm expression.

“Look who’s here” a guy greeted both of them as they approached a table. A few guys enjoyed themselves with liquor glasses in their grip and hot cheeks surrounding them. Boram saw the liquor bottle on the table.

*That alcohol is forbidden in this country. How can-* Boram eyes widened as one of the guy at the end of the wide table caressed her hair.

Yoongi pulled her closer.

“You have your own girl already right?” he glared at the guy. “Sorry, mate. But I don’t think your girl should wear this clothes here” he touched her blouse. “You just take care of your girl. I know how to take care of my own girl”

“Yoongi is no fun” the guy pouted, pretending to be hurt.

“What brings you here anyway? I thought you’ll never step into this place again” “I need to see Dongseok hyung” “He’s at the VIP room” “Yes, I know” Yoongi dragged Boram away.

“Yeah you’re welcome” the guy replied sarcastically.

 

Yoongi and Boram walked to the quiet hallway, away from the deafening place. There were rooms with door closed.

*I wonder what rooms are these*

“You don’t want to know what behind those doors” he stated, still not looking at her.

They stopped at the room at the end of the hallway. The room was guard with two muscular guys. Both looking sharp on Yoongi and Boram.

“Are you sure you want to bring her in too?” one of them asked Yoongi as he pointed to Boram. His gaze sent fear down her spine.

“Yes. No worry. I can take care of her” Yoongi replied. “Alright if you say so” the guy opened the door.

Both Boram and Yoongi stepped into the dark space. The door closed behind them and they stayed at their spot. Boram held his arm tighter as she started to tremble. Yoongi cleared his throat “Dongseok hyung”

“Yes, step in” a husky male voice came out of nowhere.

They proceed to step deeper into the dark room. Boram saw a wide window with a silhouette resting on a sofa in front of it. They stopped a meter before the silhouette.

“Hyung” Yoongi bowed. She followed him.

The silhouette slowly pushed his huge figure off the sofa. Smoke came from the cigar in his grip. He cleared his throat. “Nae. Min Yoongi” he called.

Yoongi and Boram stood straight. She glanced at Yoongi and the silhouette one after another. *He must be someone Yoongi really respect. I wonder how he looks like*

“Can someone please turn on the light?” Dongseok requested.

The lights were to reveal the surrounding. The resting area only have the sofa Dongseok was seating, a coffee table and another sofa. The floor was carpeted. Boram lifted her head to the guy. His hair, some of it had turned grey and he was wearing his rob. His face was tired. *He reminds me a lot of Chief Jung* she thought.

“Have a seat, you two” Dongseok put his cigar away. Yoongi and Boram sat at the sofa.

Dongseok fixed his seating position and faced both of them. Yoongi didn’t dare to look at him direct in his eyes.

“So what’s bring you here at this hour?” Dongseok asked. Yoongi bowed “I’m so sorry for disturbing you at this hour, hyung. And you just got home after months out at the States”

“No it’s okay. But wait. Before that” he jerked his head to Boram. Her eyes widened. “Who’s this? Your girlfriend?”

“Kind of” Yoongi smirked. Dongseok huffed a chuckle “I see. You should take care of him, get it?” he smiled to Boram. “Yoongi is one of my best man”

“Nae” Boram smiled.

“So, procede” Dongseok took his cigar once again. “You see” Yoongi looked around to make sure no one was around. “No worry. I send all my guards out today” “Oh, I see. Well” Yoongi glanced at Boram “This friend of mine here need some help”

“So this is the ‘friend’ you talked about on the phone the other day?” “Yes” “I never know you’re interested in cops, Yoongi” Dongseok chuckled.

“So” he turned to Boram. “How can I help you, miss officer? Just tell me anything, I’ll make sure to help you”

“Well” Boram began. “I need the location of Kim Jooyoung. If you can help me with that”

“Jooyoung that rascal! What had he done this time?” Dongseok shook his head in disappointment.

“He started to make drug” Yoongi answered.

Dongseok sighed. “I told these kids not to play with that candy anymore” He grabbed his phone and his glasses on the side table. He started to pressed the phone’s screen.

Boram ran her view to the picture hung on the wall. It was a picture of a family and Dongseok was in it.

“Excuse me, sir” Boram interrupted. “Is that your family picture?” she pointed to the photograph.

Dongseok looked up and smiled. “Yes. Both my girls are grown-up now”

“Oh, I see” Boram smiled as she saw the proud smile of a father on his lips.

“He’s at the Monoceros District” Dongseok gave the location. “Jooyoung had contacted me last 2 days”

“Alright. Thank you very much, sir” Yoongi bowed. “Yes. Thank you” Boram bowed too.

Dongseok laughed. “I should be the one who thank you, miss officer”

Boram looked up to him. “You mean, sir?”

“You saved my nephew the other day” “Your nephew?” “He’s that singer. Moonbin. What’s that group name again?” he tried to remember.

“Moonbin from ASTRO?!” she almost shouted. He chuckled and nodded. “Yes. That’s why I agree to help you. Moonbin told his father how you saved him the other day at the photoshoot set. He thought you were cool back there”

Her face turned pink. “He said that?” she chuckled. “Nah I’m just doing my job”

Yoongi glared at her.

“Anyway, thank you so much, sir” Boram bowed again. “No mention” Dongseok smiled.

Yoongi stood and Boram followed. Both bowed.

“We’ll take out leave then” he voiced.

“Yes, of course” Dongseok nodded.

Yoongi started to leave.

“Miss officer” Dongseok called. “Yes?” Boram turned. “Take good care of Yoongi. He’s a good man” he confessed. “And I’m not sure if I can ever see him again since he seldom comes here now”

“Nae” she nodded. “I’ll do that”

“Now go” Dongseok jerked his head to Yoongi with a smile. Boram smiled and bowed to him again. She followed Yoongi.

Yoongi held onto her arm again. “Ready?” She nodded. The two stepped out of the room.

 

 

The two walked away from the rows of stores. Boram heaved a sigh.

“That’s a long way getting out” she stated. Yoongi glanced at her. “You okay?”

“Yes of course. So that is your leader?” “Yes. And I know you’ll never speak about this place to anyone”

“Yes. Because this place is where your loved one is” “What do you mean?” he followed her to walk.

“Dongseok-ssi” she glanced up to her. “You must have respect him a lot. He seems to love you a lot”

Yoongi smirked. “You can say I thought him as a father”

“He must have been a great help to you” “Yes” he smiled to himself. “He cared for me a lot for the past years. When I thought nothing is going my way, he came and helped me. I owe him a lot”

“He does take care of his people. Thought he’s like that” “What do you mean?” “You know” “Oh. I know” he smirked. “A thug? Someone like you will always think of people like us negatively. Doing all these bad things but we’re human too, you know”

“No, Yoongi. Don’t get me wrong” “No” he smiled. “I think like that too about myself”

Her shoulder dropped and she looked away. *I must have hurt him*

“Anyway” Yoongi stole a glance at her and cleared his throat. “What did Dongseok hyung said to you just now?”

She paused.

“Take good care of Yoongi. He’s a good man” he confessed. “And I’m not sure if I can ever see him again since he seldom comes here now”

 

“Well” Boram started. “He seems to adore you too. And why is that? You must have done something big for him?”

“Nae” Yoongi chuckled. “But it’s not a bad thing actually, if that’s what in your mind. Years ago, I helped him”

“What happened?” “His daughter almost got kidnap one day. And so she’s traumatize to go out of the house. Hyung asked me to be her bodyguard and so I spend time a lot at their house. His daughter was so little at that time and he have a hard time to persuade her to attend school. So I tried instead. And she able to go to school after that” “You must be close with his daughter” “Nae. She spent time a lot with me. And her sister too” “It seems that you’re good with little girls” “I guess so. But since they’re all grown up. Both of them are attending high school” he sighed. “I couldn’t see them. I’m not sure if they still remember me anyway”

“But you still pay them a visit, right?” “Yes sometimes but just seeing them from afar. That already makes me happy”

Boram smiled and patted his back. “Good job, Yoongi” Yoongi chuckled and smiled at her.

 

 

 

They stopped in front of Boram’s car. She turned to face him. Both of them heard the sound of stomach grumbling. She looked at him. Yoongi smiled sheepishly.

“Haven’t you eaten yet?” she asked. “I did. But…. You know me”

Boram laughed at him and opened her car door. “Get in. Let me get you something nice since you helped me”

* * *

Boram looked around and sighed. It was pouring outside. “How can there is no restaurant open at this hour? What time is it anyway?” she looked at the clock. “It’s almost 3?” she sighed and turned to Yoongi beside her.

He was already asleep with his head leaned against the window. She smiled “He must be tired”