Life Happens

Perfect

 

Won Sik pulls up at the hospital. Soo Ah unbuckles her seatbelt and climbs out of the car. She runs inside the hospital and runs up to the front desk.

“What room is Lim Sung Woo sleeping in,” she asks the lady.

“Hold on a second,” the lady replies. She moves her fingers on the keyboard, and then clicks once on her mouse. “Room 123.”

“Thank you.”

Soo Ah runs to the room. She open the door to see her father sitting on the bed.

Soo Ah doesn’t know, but Won Sik is right behind her.

“Dad,” she says. “Are you okay?” She walks over to him and grabs his shoulder. “What happened?”

“Why are you here,” her dad asks.

“Uncle Jimmy called me.”

“I told him not to.”

“What happened,” Soo Ah asks again.

“Nothing bad happened. I just fell down.”

Soo Ah then notices the bandage on his head.

“You should’ve been more careful,” Soo Ah says.

The door closes, so Soo Ah turns her head to the door. Uncle Jimmy walks in, but she notices Won Sik.

“What are you doing here,” she asks him. “You never left?”

“I thought I should come pay my respect,” Won Sik answers. “Hello,” he speaks to her dad. “I’m Kim Won Sik, Soo Ah’s boss.”

“You’re her boss? She’s told me a lot about you.”

“I hope you’re okay.”

“I’m fine. Nothing to worry about.”

Soo Ah walks over to uncle Jimmy. “What did the doctor say,” she asks him.

“Nothing much. He’s fine,” uncle Jimmy replies. “I’ll tell you when it’s just the two of us,” he whispers in Soo Ah’s ear.

“Did you drive Soo Ah here,” her dad asks Won Sik.

“I did, sir.”

“Why didn't she just come by herself?”

“She wanted to, sir, but I told her not to. She was already distracted when she heard you were in the hospital. I didn't want her to get into an accident.”

“Sir,” Soo Ah asks. “Can you keep an eye on my dad? I have to go somewhere with Uncle.”

“Sure,” Won Sik says.

Soo Ah and uncle Jimmy steps outside of the room.

“It seems like you care for her,” her dad says.

“I do, sir. She's also a very hard worker. Both my kids are very fond of her.”

“That's good. She's not slacking off?”

“No. She's a very hard worker. One of the best worker I've had.”

“That's good. I was worried she'd have some problem.”

“Why is that?”

“Everyone has problems. She's never had a job before, so I was just worried for her.”

“Well, you don't have to worry about a thing.”

“That's good. Please sit,” her dad motions to an empty chair next to the bed.

“Thank you, sir.” Won Sik sits down.

“Soo Ah is a good girl,” her dad continues.

“I know she is.”

“She's never gotten into trouble before except for this one time.”

“May I ask what happened?”

“She got into an argument with me.”

“Over what?”

“She used to date a man that I didn't approve of.”

“What happened? To them I mean.”

“They broke up with mutual feelings. Before that even, she ran away from home when I told her never to meet the man again.”

“She did?”

“She did. Soo Ah came back after two days and apologized to me. I also apologized to her and we reconciled.”

“May I ask why you didn't like her boyfriend?”

“He was a man who liked to do drugs.”

“Really,” Won Sik asks shocked.

“Soo Ah has never done drugs though. I think that's why they broke up because Soo Ah was fed up with him always buying drugs.”

“Why did she date him in the first place?”

“Love can make a person blind. I think Soo Ah was blind because of him. He was her first boyfriend.”

“I see. I can understand that. I was blind too once.”

“I can tell that you're a good person.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“You know, I was skeptical about you at first. When Soo Ah told me that she was living with her male boss, I thought she was going to be taken advantage of, but I was wrong. You look like you take care of her.”

“She takes care of me more, sir. Without her, I would be running around like a crazy man.”

Her dad chuckles.

 

“Can you tell me now,” Soo Ah asks.

Soo Ah and uncle Jimmy are standing outside the door. They make sure the door is closed and talks very quietly.

“The doctor said your father has anemia,” uncle Jimmy says.

“What,” Soo Ah asks shocked.

“And it's getting to be very bad. Apparently, he's had anemia for almost two years now.”

“Why didn't dad tell me?”

“He probably didn't want you to be worried. The doctor is out right now. He wants to speak to you after he comes back.”

“Okay. Thank you for telling me uncle.”

“If you need help anything, you know I'll be here.”

“I know.”

They both walk back inside. Uncle Jimmy closes the door, and Soo Ah approaches her dad and Won Sik.

“Are you hungry,” Soo Ah asks her dad. She goes stand on the other side of her dad.

“No. I'm not hungry.”

“Did you eat anything yet?”

“I ate lunch.”

“It's almost time for dinner. I'll go get dinner for you. Do you want anything?”

“I'm fine, Soo Ah.”

“You have to eat something. I'll go get you something. Uncle Jimmy, please keep an eye on dad for me.”

“Of course, sweetie,” uncle Jimmy replies.

“I'll take you,” Won Sik says.

“Thank you,” Soo Ah replies.

Won Sik and Soo Ah walks out of the room. Soo Ah doesn't even have the energy to walk. Won Sik closes the door. Soo Ah sighs and swallows the lump in .

“What's wrong with your dad,” Won sik says. “Is it something serious?”

“I'm not sure. I still have to talk to the doctor,” Soo Ah replies.

“Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be fine.”

“I hope so.” Soo Ah sighs again.

“Everything will be fine. With the help of the doctor, I know everything will be fine. Let's go get dinner for your dad.”

Soo Ah slowly starts to lead the way out. After they come back, Soo Ah serves her dad some food. Then goes talk to the doctor. She is sitting in the doctor's office.

“I'm sure you're already told that your father has anemia,” the doctor says.

“I have,” Soo Ah replies.

“He's had it for two years now without any treatment, and because of that, his health is in critical condition.”

“Is there anything that we can do to help?”

“We can try medication, but I don't guarantee that medication will help. It may extend his life, but it'll only be for a few weeks.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Your father's organs are slowly shutting down. He has about a month and a half left to live his life.”

Soo Ah is shocked. She never knew that her healthy father was suffering so much. “Is there nothing else we can do?”

“No. Surgery will only cause his death to increase. I'll prescribe some medication. Your father can leave tomorrow.”

“Alright. Thank you for telling me, doctor.”

Soo Ah walks out of the room lifeless. She closes the door behind her and heaves a sigh. Her hands are trembling, and her knees are shaking. Soo Ah makes her way to the bathroom.

“Are you done, sir,” Won Sik asks Soo Ah’s dad. “I'll take these from you.” Won Sik grabs the wrappers and throws them away. Then he grabs the lunch box and puts that on the table next to the bed.

“Jimmy,” her dad begins. “Please go see what's taking Soo Ah so long. It's getting late, she should head home.”

“I will go,” Won Sik says. He walks out of the door and closes it. Won Sik takes a right turn until he gets to an intersection then he takes a left turn. There, he sees Soo Ah walk into the bathroom. He follows her and waits for her outside. As he waits, he hears her crying. She sounds so sad to him. The way she is crying and weeping means that something bad has happened. He wants to comfort her, but he still feels awkward to do so. After a few minutes, he hears her calming herself before she comes out.

“Your father is looking for you,” Won Sik says.

“Oh. Okay,” Soo Ah replies.

“Is something wrong,” he asks concerned. Her eyes aren't red, but he can tell that she was crying.

She shakes her head and starts walking to her dad's room again. Won Sik follows her.

“Did you finish eating,” Soo Ah asks her dad.

“I did,” her dad replies.

“What did the doctor say,” uncle Jimmy asks.

“Everything should be fine,” Soo Ah answers. “The doctor will prescribe dad some medication. If dad takes those, dad should be fine.”

“See. I told you I'm fine,” dad says. “I just have to take a few pills.”

Soo Ah forces a smile. “You can go home tomorrow,” Soo Ah tells her dad.

“That's great. Since everything is fine, you can go home now,” her dad says.

“I want to stay here with you.”

“You can go home. Uncle Jimmy is here to take care of me.”

“Yes,” uncle Jimmy says. “I can look after your father. Go home and rest.”

“But you've looked over dad for so long already. You need more rest than me,” Soo Ah says.

“I'm fine,” uncle Jimmy insists. “Your boss probably needs to go home.”

“That's right. Sir,” Soo Ah says turning to Won Sik. “Why don't you head home. It's already eight at night. It'll be very late if you head home later.”

“It's okay. I can sleep here. I'll watch your dad for you,” Won Sik says.

“There's no room for two people to sleep here,” her dad says.

“Sung Woo is right,” uncle Jimmy adds. “There's barely room for one person to sleep here. The both of you should just go home,”

“Why not,” her dad says. “You two go home and rest. You can visit me tomorrow again.”

“I'm not going back home with sir,” Soo Ah says. “I'm going to stay here to look after you. Sir, you can go back home. I'm sure your children are waiting for you.”

“I'll stay here,” Won Sik insist. “I can just look for a hotel.”

“Why waste money on a hotel,” her dad asks. “Just go to our house and sleep there.”

“It's settled then,” uncle Jimmy says. “The both of you will go home to rest, and I'll stay here with Sung Woo.”

“But,” Soo Ah says.

“We'll be sure to be here early tomorrow,” Won Sik says. “If I leave, there will be no one to drive you around,” he tells Soo Ah.

“I can just take a taxi,” Soo Ah says.

“Let's go.”

“I believe you won't touch my daughter,” her dad says. “She's been living with you for long enough that I trust you won't do anything.”

“I will never, sir,” Won Sik replies. “Please trust me.”

Her dad nods his head.

“I'll be back tomorrow,” Soo Ah tells her dad.

“Get some rest,” her dad replies.

Won Sik and Soo Ah walks out of the room. They walk out to Won Sik’s car and climb in.

“You'll have to tell me how to get to your house,” Won Sik says.

“I will.”

Won Sik starts his car and drives off. He parks his car in front of her house, and they both climb out of the car. Soo Ah unlocks the door before she opens it. They walk in.

“This is going to be different from your house,” Soo Ah says. She closes the door then takes off her shoes. “We don’t have couches.” Won Sik takes off his shoes as well. “We sit on the ground, and we don’t have beds. We sleep on the ground. Are you okay with that?”

“That’s fine,” he replies.

She walks to the living room, so he follows her.

“Please sit,” Soo Ah points to a pillow on the ground.

He does so.

“Are you thirsty,” she asks.

“I’m fine,” he replies.

“You must at least be hungry. You haven’t had dinner yet. I’ll go make something for you.”

“Should I help?”

“You don’t have to.”

Soo Ah walks to the kitchen and starts preparing dinner for Won Sik . After she is done, she sets the table in the living room for Won Sik. “It’s not much,” Soo Ah says.

“It’s more than enough,” Won Sik replies.

Soo Ah stands up.

“You’re not going to eat,” he asks her.

“I don’t have an appetite,” she replies to him. “Please enjoy.” Soo Ah walks back to the kitchen and starts cleaning up. After that, she goes prepare a room for him to sleep in. There is only two rooms, her room and her parent’s room, so she goes prepare her room for him to sleep in. Soo Ah lies two blankets down on the ground before she sets a pillow and another blanket on top of it. She goes grab one of her dad’s pajamas and puts it in her room on the desk. When Soo Ah goes back to the living room, Won Sik and the dishes are not there anymore. She walks to the kitchen to see Won Sik washing the dishes. “You can just leave those. I can wash them later,” Soo Ah says.

“No. I wanted to. I put the leftovers in the fridge. Is that okay,” he asks.

“That’s fine.” Soo Ah dries the dishes and puts them away. “Do you want to take a shower?”

“Sure.”

“You’ll have to go outside. Our bathhouse is out there.”

“Really,” Won Sik asks shocked.

“Really.”

“Okay. Sure. I’ll still take a shower.”

“It’s not as bad as it sounds.”

“I never said anything.”

“But I saw the look on your face, and heard the tone of your voice.”

“Did you?”

“I also put some clothes in my room for you. They’re on the desk. They’re my dad’s clothes. It may be a little small on you.”

“That’s okay. It’s better than nothing.”

After they are done, Soo Ah shows Won Sik the bath house outside.

“There’s a light switch inside, and here’s a flashlight,” she tells him. Soo Ah gives him the flashlight, and he accepts it. “It’ll get dark soon.”

“Thank you.” He has the pajamas and a towel thrown on his shoulder.

“If you need anything just call for me.”

“I will.”

Soo Ah walks back inside, and Won Sik walks into the bath house. He puts his clothes and towel on the rack. Won Sik starts stripping his clothes off before he walks to the showerhead. He turns on the water and starts.

Soo Ah finds a pair of sandals and walks back outside. She replaces them with Won Sik’s shoes. “Sir,” Soo Ah calls out.

“Yes,” Won Sik answers.

“I’ve placed a pair of sandals out here for you to wear. It’ll be more comfortable.”

“Okay. Thank you.”

Soo Ah walks back inside. She changes into a white shirt, but the shirt’s short sleeves are black. Soo Ah also puts on a black pajama pants. She then prepares a bed for herself to sleep in. Soo Ah prepares the bed in the living room. After she is done, Won Sik walks in. He has his clothes hanging on his shoulders while he holds the wet towel in his hands. He is wearing the clothes that Soo Ah gave him earlier. The shirt is brown with short sleeves, and the pants are tan. Like expected, the clothes are too small on him. His stomach will show if he raises his arms up, and the pants are exposing his ankles.

“Where do you want the towel,” he asks her.

She turns her head. “I can take it,” she says with a chuckle. “I was right,.” She walks over to him. “The clothes are too small on you.” Soo Ah grabs the towel from him.

“Yeah. If I raise my hands, the shirt will expose my abdomen.”

“Don’t raise your hands then. You can put your clothes in my room on the desk”

Soo Ah walks outside and hangs the towel on the drying line. She walks back in to see Won Sik hanging around the living room.

“Is this where I sleep,” he asks her. Won Sik points to the bed in the living room.

“I’ll sleep there,” Soo Ah says. “You can take my room.”

“But it’s your room. I can take this one, you go sleep in your room.”

“It’s okay. You’re the guest. You can take my room.” She walks over to the bed. “I insist.”

“Okay.”

“If you need anything else, just tell me.”

“Okay.”

Won Sik walks to her room, and closes the door behind him. He walks over to the bed and sits down. Won Sik spreads the blanket out and looks around. Her room is very small. To the right of him is a desk that is along the wall. To the right of the desk is the door, and to the left is a small bookshelf that holds books and has a small pot of flowers. To his left is the closet. The pillow is literally against the wall, so when he sleeps, his head is against the wall. Only a few inches are left at the foot of the bed. Won Sik crawls over to the desk and looks at the picture frames sitting on it. He sees a picture of a little girl in pigtails. Won Sik knows that the little girl is Soo Ah. There is also a picture of her dad and mom holding onto her. He continues to look at the pictures and observe the room even more.

After a few hours, Soo Ah sits in her bed after she turns off all the lights. The only light that she has on is the lamp on the coffee table. She turns to the table and picks her phone up. Soo Ah dials uncle Jimmy’s phone number and waits for him to pick up. As she waits, she rests her arms on the coffee table.

“Hello,” she hears uncle Jimmy asks.

“Uncle Jimmy,” Soo Ah says. “Is dad sleeping?”

“Yeah. He’s had a long day.”

“That’s good.”

“So what did the doctor say? Is Sung Woo fine?”

“Dad,” Soo Ah pauses. “The doctor said,” she pauses again.

“Is it bad?”

“Dad doesn’t have much time left. He has about a month left.”

“What?”

“But if he takes his medication, dad could get a few more weeks in, but not much.” A huge tear escapes Soo Ah’s eyes.

“How could this be happening already?”

“All these years, I thought dad was fine, but he’s been holding in so much. I feel like such a bad daughter.”

“You’re not a bad daughter.”

“Yes I am. I’ve been away from dad for too long, uncle.”

“That’s because you’ve been trying to make yourself successful.”

“You’re right, uncle. I’ve been trying so hard to be successful. I want to go to school, get a degree, and a nice paying job. I wanted to buy dad another house to live in. One that is bigger than this one. I wanted to give dad what he has given me, but I can’t even do that anymore.” Soo Ah is crying now.

“Don’t cry, sweetheart,” uncle Jimmy says crying as well. “If you cry, I cry too.”

“I’m sorry,” Soo Ah sobs. She sniffles. “I can’t help myself.”

“It’s getting late. You should go to sleep. Don’t cry and go straight to bed.”

“Okay. You too, uncle.”

They both hang up.

Uncle Jimmy is sitting on the bottom of the stairwell. He holds his phone tightly in his hand and cries silently. He always thought that he was going to be the first one to go, but his best friend is going to leave him behind first.

Soo Ah places her phone on the coffee table and wipes her wet eyes. She sniffles and sighs.

Won Sik is lying in bed, but he is not asleep. He heard everything Soo Ah said, and he couldn’t believe his ears. Soo Ah’s father is dying. She must be feeling down. He sits up and thinks about what he should do. Should he just sit there or should he go out and comfort her? He knows he should go and comfort her, but he isn’t comfortable or close enough to her to go and comfort her. He is still at that awkward stage with her. He stands up and starts pacing the room. Finally, Won Sik walks over to the door and opens it. He slowly makes his way over to the living room. He stops when he sees Soo Ah.

Soo Ah is still sitting by the coffee table. Her hands are still resting on the coffee table, but from time to time, she would wipe her eyes with her hand.

Won Sik slowly walks over to her. She hears his footsteps coming over to her, so she turns her head to see who it is. When she sees Won Sik, she turns her head and wipes her tears away. Soo Ah sniffles and takes a deep breath.

“You’re not asleep yet,” she asks trying to sound steady.

“No.” He walks over to her. “I can’t sleep.” He takes a seat on the head of the table beside her. “I didn’t mean to,” he starts. “But I overheard your conversation about your father.”

Soo Ah wasn’t even looking at Won Sik. Her head is slightly turned to the side.

“You know, you don’t have to try to be brave in front of me. You can cry if you want to,” he tells her.

She doesn’t respond.

He gently places his hand on top of hers making her turn to him. A tear escapes her eyes, and she starts crying. He looks at her concerned, and she is hurting so much that she couldn’t help herself anymore. Soo Ah’s head is hung low, and she continues to cry her pain out.

Won Sik watches as she cries. He feels sad for her, so he scoots closer to her and pulls her into his embrace. He lets her cry until her heart’s desire which is about an hour.

“You’ll get a headache in the morning, and your eyes will be puffy,” Won Sik says.

“It’s okay. I’ve calmed down,” Soo Ah replies in her stuffy voice. She blows her nose and sighs. “I’ll be fine. I’m sorry for making you listen to me cry. You must be tired.”

“Don’t be sorry. You’re going through a tough time right now.”

“I also want to thank you for giving me your shoulder.”

“It was nothing. You should go to sleep now. It’s already two in the morning. You don’t want to be sleepy tomorrow when we go pick up your father do you?”

“No. You should sleep too. You have to drive tomorrow.”

“Okay. No more crying.”

Soo Ah nods her head.

“Goodnight,” he says.

“Goodnight,” she replies.

 

Soo Ah wakes up early the next morning to make breakfast. As she does so, Won Sik also wakes up.

“Do you have an extra toothbrush,” Won Sik asks.

Soo Ah turns around to see Won Sik in his morning hair. He is still wearing the pajamas she had given him.

“I’ll go see,” Soo Ah says.

She is also in her pajamas and her hair is tied up into a bun.

Won Sik follows her outside.

“It’s a bit chilly in the mornings,” Soo Ah says. “Do you need a sweater?”

“I’m fine.”

Soo Ah walks to the bathroom and rummages through the cabinets.

“I can’t find one,” Soo Ah says.

“It’s okay. I’ll just rinse my mouth with water,” Won Sik says.

“No. I’ll find one. If not, I’ll go buy you one.”

“I’m fine.”

“Ah! I found one.” Soo Ah grabs the green toothbrush and hands it to Won Sik. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” Won Sik says accepting the it. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine for now.”

“That’s good. You look a little puffy.”

Soo Ah puts her hand on her cheek. “I feel puffy. Dad won’t know will he?”

“No. You’ll be fine.”

“Okay. I’ll let you wash up. I’ll go set the table for breakfast.”

Soo Ah walks back to the house and sets the table like she said. When Won Sik comes in, she could tell that he had washed his face and brushed his hair.

“Can I change in your room,” he asks her.

“Go ahead.”

He walks to her room and changes while she puts her bed away. When he comes out, he is wearing his old clothes again. A long sleeved white shirt and blue skinny jeans.

“I left your father’s clothes in your room on the desk,” Won Sik says.

“That’s fine. Please eat breakfast,” Soo Ah replies.

Won Sik walks over to the table and sits across from Soo Ah. They both eat in silence. Soo Ah picks at the food and takes a few bites before she puts her chopsticks down.

“Are you done eating,” Won Sik asks.

“I’m full,” Soo Ah replies.

“But you barely ate anything. You should eat more to get the energy that you need.”

“I’ll be fine. Please continue to eat.” Soo Ah picks up her bowl and chopsticks before she stands up and heads to the kitchen. She washes her utensils and bowl.

Won Sik picks at the food and slowly eats. After he is done, he clears the table with the help of Soo Ah. She washes the dishes while he dries them. Then, Soo Ah makes another batch of food for her dad. As she is doing so, Won Sik walks into the living room to call into work.

“What do you mean you can't come in today,” Toad asks. “We received a case last night, and we need you.”

“I really can't come in today. I'm not even in town.”

“Where are you then?”

Won Sik tells Toad where he is.

“What are you doing there,” Toad asks.

“My nanny’s father isn't feeling well, so I came to visit him with her.”

“You mean Soo Ah? Her father isn't well?”

“He's in the hospital right now. We're on our way to visit him later.”

“So you spent the night at her house?”

“Yes.”

“Nothing happened right?”

“No. Nothing happened. What do you think happened?”

“Nothing. You better be back tomorrow. If you're not, I will dismiss you.”

“I'll be there tomorrow, Toad. Don't worry.”

“Good. I'll see you then.”

Won Sik hangs up.

“Is something wrong,” Soo Ah asks.

Won Sik turns around to see Soo Ah standing in front of him. She is wearing an apron with strawberries print on it. “Nothing. I just called into work.”

“You're not in trouble are you?”

“No. Everything is fine. You don't have to worry.”

“Okay. I'm almost done. We can leave afterwards.”

“Works for me.”

Soo Ah finishes, so Won Sik drives her to the hospital. There, Soo Ah picks up the medication and helps her dad discharge from the hospital. Won Sik takes everyone home including uncle Jimmy.

“Be careful,” Soo Ah says as she helps her dad into the house.

Won Sik is also helping her.

They set her dad down behind the coffee table.

“Thank you,” her dad says.

“Are you hungry, dad,” Soo Ah asks. She sits next to him. “I made you food.”

“I’ll eat later,” her dad responds. “Instead, go fix my bed. I want to sleep.”

“Okay.” Soo Ah goes to her dad’s bedroom and fixes the bed for him. After she is done, she helps her dad to the room. She fixes ther blanket on her dad. “I’ll just be in the living room. Call me if you need anything.”

“I will.”

Soo Ah leaves her dad. She closes the door and walks to the living room where Won Sik is.

“Is your dad sleeping,” Won Sik asks.

“Yeah. You should go home.”

“I’ll go home tomorrow.”

“We won’t be able to do anything today. I’m planning to stay home with dad.”

“That’s okay. I’ll stay here with you.”

“You’re going to be bored. We don’t even have a tv to watch.”

“That’s fine.”

“Okay then.”

The two of them are in the living room touching their phones. It’s been almost an hour already. Soo Ah turns off her phone and leaves it on the coffee table.

“Are you bored,” she asks him.

“I’m fine.”

“Want to go outside for some fresh air?”

“Sure.”

Soo Ah leads Won Sik outside. The first thing that they see is middle aged woman surrounding Won Sik’s car.

“Mrs. Jung,” Soo Ah asks. “What are you doing there?”

“Is this your car,” Mrs. Jung asks.

“No. It’s my boss’s car.”

Mrs. Jung looks behind Soo Ah. “Is that him,” Mrs. Jung asks.

“Yes,” Soo Ah replies.

“He’s so good looking!”

Everyone agrees with her.

“Are you two dating,” another lady asks.

“No,” Soo Ah protests.

Won Sik waves his hand to protest.

“What is he doing in your house,” Mrs. Jung asks.

“He came to visit dad,” Soo Ah asks.

“Are you sure he isn’t visiting you to make a good impression?”

The ladies giggle.

“No,” Soo Ah protests. “He’s my boss who’s just visiting my dad.”

“We’re not dating,” Won Sik adds.

“He has such a beautiful voice,” another lady says.

They scream and clap.

“Not only does he have a beautiful car and a beautiful voice,” the lady continues. “Look at his body!”

“I’ve never seen such a handsome man before,” another lady chimes in.

Soo Ah turns around to see a flustered Won Sik. “I apologize, sir.”

“Is it usually like this,” Won Sik asks.

“No. They're only like this because you're here.”

Won Sik stares at the ladies.

“It looks like they're dating doesn't it,” Mrs. Jung asks.

“I'm sure they are. They're just too shy to admit it,” another lady chimes in.

“We're really not,” Soo Ah protests. “I'm babysitting his two kids.”

“He's married,” Mrs. Jung says sadly. “That's too bad. You two make a really cute couple. Let's go guys. There's no more show.” Mrs. Jung brings the ladies, and they leave.

“Don't tell me,” another lady adds. “Soo Ah is going to be a mistress.”

“What,” Mrs. Jung asks. “No way. Soo Ah isn't that type of person.”

“Yeah, but look at that man. He's super good looking with a y body.”

Mrs. Jung stops in her tracks.

“Maybe he seduced Soo Ah.”

Mrs. Jung looks at the ladies before she marches back to Soo Ah and Won Sik. “Soo Ah,” Mrs. Jung screams.

Soo Ah jumps and looks ahead of her. Mrs. Jung and the ladies march over to them. Won Sik takes a couple of steps back shocked.

“Tell me,” Mrs. Jung says, “You're not going to be his mistress are you?”

“What,” Soo Ah asks surprised. “No. Who told you that?”

“You two look like you're in a relationship, and he has two kids. He's not cheating on his wife is he?”

“No, ma'am,” Won Sik says flustered. “I would never do that.”

“Than what are you? Divorced,” Mrs. Jung asks.

“Widow.”

Mrs. Jung backs away. “Oh. Are you dating a man who was married once?”

“How could a pure woman like you date a used man,” another woman asks.

“What,” Soo Ah asks surprised. “We're not in a relationship,” Soo Ah says. “You're making my boss uncomfortable.”

“We didn’t know you’d end up like this.” Mrs. Jung says. “Even if you two are dating, we’ll root for you because you’re our Soo Ah. Sorry for the misunderstanding, son-in-law.”

“It's okay,” Won Sik says flustered..

Soo Ah sighs and looks down in embarrassment. The ladies leave them. “I'm sorry,” Soo Ah says. “That must've been embarrassing for you, and what they said was offensive.”

“Yeah just a little,” he says.

Soo Ah sits on the steps, and so does Won Sik.

“Their imagination is incredible,” Soo Ah says.

“They sure do. Mistress?”

“Just because you were married once doesn’t mean you’re dirty,” Soo Ah says. “And just because I’ve never been married doesn’t mean I’m not dirty. I mean I’m not, but not because I’m not married. Did that make sense?” Soo Ah shakes her head. “I’m just saying that don’t take what Mrs. Jung said to heart. I’m sure you’re very clean.”

“That made sense,” Won Sik replies. “Don’t worry. I didn’t take it to heart.”

“Good. Sorry, there's nothing to do around here,” Soo Ah says.

“It's okay. I know you want to stay with your father. I would to. Next time, you can take me sightseeing.”

“There's going to be a next time?”

“Why not?”

“Okay than. Next time.”

After spending a few minutes outside, they go back inside. Soo Ah makes lunch for Won Sik and serves it to him.

“You’re not eating,” he asks her.

“I’m going to make myself a snack,” she answers.  She grabs some crackers, cheese, and ham before she goes join Won Sik at the table. “Do you want some,” she asks him.

“Maybe after I finish my lunch,” Won Sik answers. “I like this,” he says. “It’s very quiet. I feel like I’m taking a rest.”

“Good,” she answers. “I’m glad you feel like you’re getting a rest.”

“Can I bring my kids with me next time I come here?”

“Sure. That should be fine.”

Won Sik smiles. “May I have some now,” Won Sik asks.

“Sure.” Soo Ah pushes the ingredients to Won Sik. “Bon appétit.”

He laughs and makes himself one.

“Why are you laughing,” she asks.

“I thought you’d make me one,” he replies.

“Do you want me to make you one?”

“It’s fine. I can do it. I guess I’m just used to you making me food.”

“Yeah? Well, you maybe shouldn’t get used to it.”

“Why not?”

“I’ve been thinking, sir,” Soo Ah pauses. “I.” Her phone rings. She grabs it and reads who is calling her. “Excuse me,” Soo Ah tells Won Sik. She turns her side to him and answers her phone. “Hello,” she asks into the phone.

“Soo Ah,” Young Jae says. “Are you free today?”

“Young Jae, I’m not in town right now.”

“You’re not?”

“No.”

“Where are you then?”

“I’m in my hometown.”

“Oh. Can you tell me where. I want to come visit you.”

“It’s okay, You don’t have to come. I’m visiting my dad, and I want to spend some alone time with him.”

“Okay. When are you coming back?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Will you call me when you’re coming back?”

“Sure.”

“Okay. I’ll see you then.”

Soo Ah ends the call and turns back to Won Sik.

“Young Jae,” Won Sik asks.

“Yeah.”

“So,” Won Sik starts after a pause. “What was it that you wanted to tell me?”

“That? I.” Soo Ah turns her head to the bedrooms when she hears a noise. “Dad.” She quickly goes over to him and helps him over to the table. “Did you have a nice nap,” she asks him. Soo Ah helps her dad sit down.

“I did,” her dad replies.

“Are you hungry?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll go warm up the food then.” Soo Ah walks to the kitchen and starts to warm up the food like she said.

“How are you feeling,” Won Sik asks Soo Ah’s dad.

“I feel fine,” he replies.

“That's good. I'm planning on going home tomorrow, but Soo Ah will stay to take care of you.”

“You're allowing her?”

“Yes. She hasn't seen you for awhile, so she misses you very much.”

“Really? Thank you for understanding her then.”

Soo Ah sets the table after she warms up the food, and her dad starts eating. “Eat up,” she tells her dad.

“Thank you, Soo Ah,” her dad says.

That night, Soo Ah helps her dad to bed before she sets her bed up in the living room again. Won Sik walks over to her. He wears the pajamas that she gave him yesterday. “Soo Ah,” he starts. “I’m planning to leave early tomorrow morning. How long are you planning to stay here?”

“That’s what I wanted to tell you this morning,” Soo Ah says. She sits on her bed, and Won Sik sits beside the coffee table. “I know this is sudden, but I don’t plan on coming back.”

“What?”

“I want to stay here with dad. I feel like I haven’t spend much time with him. Now is the chance for me to spend time with him. I know it’s too late since dad doesn’t have much time.”

“I understand. You want to be with your dad until his last breath, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t come back.”

“I’m not planning on coming back even after dad leaves.”

“Why not?”

“We have many precious items in this house. I don’t want to leave it here alone.”

“You can just bring it back with you.”

“I can’t. Your house is not my house.”

“That doesn’t matter. Why can’t my house be your house?”

“I can’t live there forever, sir.”

“You don’t have to. Stay there until you find a house.”

“Sir, I’m only a student. I don’t have the money to buy myself a house.”

“That’s right. I forget that you’re just a student. You’re really not going to come back?”

“I’m not planning to. I'll give you my resignation tomorrow before you leave.”

Won Sik doesn't say anything.

“It's already late. You should go to sleep, so you can wake up early tomorrow,” Soo Ah says. “I'm going to sleep myself.”

“Okay.”

Soo Ah lies down, and Won Sik goes to Soo Ah’s room. When Soo Ah hears Won Sik close the door, she sits up and takes out a piece of paper and pen. She writes down her resignation before she heads to sleep.