Getting Closer

Perfect

 

After they reach home, Soo Ah goes bake the cookies, Soo Jung is eating her bag of chips, and Won Sik works for a little while before he goes pick Junho up. When Junho arrives, he runs straight to the kitchen.

“Ms. Lim, what are you making,” Junho asks.

“Chocolate chip cookies. It’s almost done, so just wait a little bit,” Soo Ah answers.

“Okay.”

Junho goes put his backpack away and comes back to the kitchen. He patiently waits for the cookies to be baked. When it is, Soo Ah gives him one, and she gives Soo Jung one. She also gives herself one. The three of them take a bite. Soo Ah nods her head, and Junho does the same.

“It’s very good,” Junho says.

“Thank you,” Soo Ah replies.

She gives Junho a glass of water and gives Soo Jung water in her sippy cup. She also gives herself a cup of water. Soo Ah puts the last batch of cookies into the oven. 

“It smells very good,” Won sik says. 

“The cookies are very good,” Junho replies. “Want to try one, daddy?”

“Sure.”

Junho slides out of his seat and goes to grab a cookie before he gives it to Won Sik.

“Thank you,” Won Sik says.

Won Sik takes a bite and nods his head.

“It’s sweet,” he says. “Very good.”

“Thank you,” Soo Ah says with a smile. 

“Isn’t Ms. Lim good,” Junho asks. “She makes the best food.”

“Why thank you, Junho,” Soo Ah smiles.

“In school today, we were talking about picnics,” Junho says. “I want to go on a picnic.”

“A picnic sounds good,” Soo Ah says.

“Isn't it too cold for a picnic still,” Won Sik asks. “I'll take you on a picnic when it gets warmer, Junho.”

“Okay, daddy.”

“Instead, why don't we go play at an indoor playground.”

“Really,” Junho asks excited.

“Yes.”

“Yes!!”

“Let's go get ready.”

Junho runs to the bedroom and grabs his coat while Won Sik gets Soo Jung ready. As they are all doing that, Soo Ah stays in the kitchen to look over the cookies, but when a knock on the door is heard, Soo Ah goes answer the door. When she opens it, Minah is standing in front of her. 

“Good evening, Ms. Shin,” Soo Ah greets her.

“Is Won Sik home,” she asks first.

“Yes,” Soo Ah can't finish her sentence because Minha shoves her way in. 

Soo Ah couldn't believe what Minah just did, but she couldn't say anything. Soo Ah closes the door and heads to the kitchen to check up on the cookies. 

“Ms. Lim,” Soo Jung says as she runs in. “I want another cookie.”

“Here you go, baby girl,” Soo Ah says handing her a cookie.

“Thank you.”

“Ms. Lim,” Junho calls out. “Let's go!” He runs over to Soo Ah and tugs on her legs. “Come on!”

“I still have to look at the cookies,” Soo Ah says.

“Junho,” Won Sik says. “Ms. Lim is busy. Let's go out with Ms. Minah.”

“I want Ms. Lim to come with us,” Junho pouts.

“I'd love to go,” Soo Ah says. “But I have to look at the cookies.”

Junho frowns.

“How about this,” Won Sik says. “We'll wait for Ms. Lim to finish then we can go.”

“Really,” Junho says excited. 

“Really.”

“Yes!”

“I'll try to hurry,” Soo Ah says.

Everyone but Soo Ah leaves for the living room. 

“Why don't we just go,” Minah says holding onto Won Sik’s arm. “Your maid can bring the kids afterwards.”

“Minah,” Won Sik says pushing her hand away. “I can't do that. My kids want to go with me.” He sits on the couch.

“Then let's just go.”

“Junho wants her to come along. The kids have grown an attachment to her.”

“Fine. At least we're having a date.”

“Minah, it's not a date.”

“When are we going to have a proper date then?”

“Minah, you know I'm busy.”

“I know, but I just want a proper date.”

“How can we go on a proper date when we're not even dating?”

“If we go on just one date, I will prove to you that we are meant to be.”

“Minah, I'm glad that you're willing to put so much effort, but I really don't think this is going to happen.”

“I won't give up on you, just know that.”

Soo Ah takes out the last batch of cookies and places the tray on the stove. She transfers the cookies onto a plate, and then cleans up after herself. After she is done, she goes to the living room.

“I'm done,” she says. “Just let me go change. I smell like baked cookies.”

“You look fine,” Won Sik says as he stands up.

“I do?”

Soo Ah looks down at her blue skinny jeans and green t-shirt. The t-shirt is a little dirty from the flour and dough.

“I’ll at least change my shirt and put on a sweater,” Soo Ah asks.

“Sure,” Won Sik answers. “We'll be outside.”

“Okay.”

Soo Ah goes change into an orange plaid shirt and puts a white sweater over her. She grabs her purse and leaves outside to the others. 

“The car is full,” Won Sik says. “Why don't you take your own car?”

“Okay,” Soo Ah says.

“Can I ride with Ms. Lim,” Junho asks.

“If that's okay with your dad,” Soo Ah says.

“It's fine,” Won Sik says.

Junho unbuckles his seatbelt and climbs out of the car. 

“I want to go too,” Soo Jung says.

“We'll meet Ms. Lim and Junho at the playground, sweetheart,” Won Siik says. 

“Okay, daddy.”

Soo Ah and Junho walks to Soo Ah’s car, and Junho climbs into the back of the car. Soo Ah climbs into the driver's seat and follows Won Sik to the playground. 

“Are you excited,” Soo Ah asks Junho as she drives down the highway.

“Yes! I think daddy is changing. He doesn't work and ignore me anymore,” Junho says excited.

“That's good!”

“I just didn't think Ms. Shin would come.”

“You don't want her to come?”

“No. She's just going to be with dad.”

“You can ask her to play with you.”

“She won't. I already ask her before, and dad won't play with me now. He's going to sit with Ms. Shin and talk to her instead.”

“I'll play with you.”

“Okay, but I'd like it better if dad played with me.”

“We'll see what happens.”

The kids are running around playing on the playground while Won Sik, Minah, and Soo Ah are at a table. Minah is sitting on the inside and Won Sik is sitting on the outside next to Minah. Soo Ah is sitting by herself on the other side of the table.

“Ms. Lim,” Soo Ah runs over to her. “Can you play with me?”

“I'm too big to go on with you, but I'll watch you play okay,” Soo Ah asks.

“Okay.” Soo Ah runs to the playground again. “Come on!” Soo Jung waves Soo Ah over.

“I'm coming,” Soo Ah smiles.

Soo Ah stands up and takes a step towards Soo Jung, but a child runs in front of her making her fall backwards. She is expecting to fall on the ground, but instead, her hip hits the table, and she falls on Won Sik’s lap. 

“Are you okay,” he asks her.

“Y. Yeah,” Soo Ah stutters. She quickly pushes herself away from Won Sik and immediately apologizes. “I'm sorry. That kid just came out of nowhere.”

“It's okay. It was an accident.”

Soo Ah sees that Minah is shooting lasers at her. 

“I'm really sorry,” Soo Ah says again.

“Are you okay,” Won Sik asks.

“I hit my hips on the table, but I'm fine.”

“Ms. Lim, hurry,” Soo Jung calls.

“I'm coming,” Soo Ah says. Soo Ah gives Won Sik an apologetic smile and follows Soo Jung to the playground. 

“Look at me, Ms. Lim,” Soo Jung says. “I can come down the slide.”

Soo Ah stands beside the slide and watches as Soo Jung comes down.

“Wow,” Soo Ah says. “You're really good.”

“I'm going to do it again.”

“Okay. I'll watch you.”

Soo Jung climbs to the slide again before she slides down again. Soo Jung runs to the ladder and climbs up before she goes on the monkey bars.

“Be careful, baby girl,” Soo Ah says.

She watches as Soo Jung tries to climb on the monkey bars. Soo Jung reaches for the bars, but her hands are too little, so she gives up. Soo Ah chuckles to herself.

“Ms. Lim,” Junho says. “Will you play with me?”

“Play what?”

“There's a game over there.”

“Okay. Let's go.”

Junho leads Soo Ah to whack a mole, and they start to play.

“Ms. Lim, I'm getting hungry,” Junho says. 

Soo Ah checks her phone for the time. “It is almost time for dinner. Let's go tell dad.”

“Okay.”

Junho leads both of them back to Won Sik.

“Dad, I'm getting hungry,” Junho says.

“You're getting hungry? Let's go eat then,” Won Sik says.

“I'll go get Soo Jung,” Soo Ah says. Soo Ah walks to the playground and calls for Soo Jung. “Let's go eat,” she says bending to Soo Jung’s level.

“I want to play on the playground,” Soo Jung says. 

“We'll play on the playground another day. Junho is hungry. Let's go eat something yummy.”

“Okay.”

Soo Jung takes Soo Ah’s hand, and they walk to Won Sik.

“Let's go,” Won Sik says. “What do you want to eat,” Won Sik asks Junho. 

“I want to eat Ms. Lim’s food,” Junho says.

“You do? Which one?”

“The first one she gave us.”

“The beef,” Soo Ah asks. “There won't be enough time for me to make that. How about we eat that tomorrow,” Soo Ah tells Junho. “I promise I'll make that for you tomorrow.”

“Okay,” Junho answers. 

“What should we have today,” Won Sik asks.

“How about pasta,” Minha asks. “I want pasta.” She is walking beside Won Sik. 

“Is pasta okay with you,” Won Sik asks Junho. 

“Sure,” Junho replies.

“I want to ride with Ms. Lim and Junho,” Soo Jung says before Won Sik could buckle her up.

“Okay,” Won Sik says.

He takes Soo Jung out of the car seat and takes the car seat to Soo Ah’s car.

“Soo Jung wants to ride with you two,” Won Sik says after Soo Ah puts down her window.

“Sure,” Soo Ah says.

Soo Ah climbs out of the car and opens the back door to the empty seat. Won Sik puts the car seat into Soo Ah’s car before he buckles Soo Jung in.

“Thanks,” Won Sik says.

“No problem,” Soo Ah answers. 

The both of them climb into their own cars. 

Soo Ah follows Won Sik to a pasta shop. They go sit at a table. Minah sits next to Won Sik, Won Sik sits next to Junho, Junho sits next to Soo Jung who is sitting in a baby chair, Soo Jung sits next to Soo Ah, and Soo Ah sits next to Minah. 

“What may I get you all to drink,” the waitress asks them.

“Do you have orange juice,” Won Sik asks.

“We do.”

“Can we get two kiddy cups of juice for the kids,” Won Sik asks.

“Sure.”

“I'll get water.”

“Let's get some red wine,” Minah says.

“I can't drink. I have to drive,” Won Sik says. 

“Should I just order it for myself then?”

“If you want to.”

“I'll get the red wine then.”

“Got it,” the waitress says.

“I'll also just have water,” Soo Ah says.

“Okay. I'll be back to take your orders,” the waitress says.

“Thank you,” both Won Sik and Soo Ah says.

When the waitress comes back with their drinks, Won Sik orders the kids spaghetti while he orders himself a creamy shrimp and garlic pasta.

“What side dish would you like,” the waitress asks Won Sik.

“The salad please,” Won Sik answers.

Minah orders lasagna and chicken soup, and Soo Ah orders the chicken and shrimp creamy pasta.

“What kind of side dish would you like to go with that,” the waitress asks Soo Ah.

“I would like the potato soup,” Soo Ah replies.

“Okay. While you're waiting, would you like some appetizers?”

“We're fine,” Won Sik says.

“Alright. Your orders will be here soon.”

“Thank you,” Won Sik and Soo Ah says once again.

After a long wait, their food finally arrives. Minah takes a bite out of her lasagna and hums.

“It's really good,” she says.

“Eat up then,” Won Sik says.

Soo Ah bibs Soo Jung with a napkin, and makes sure the pasta isn't too hot. She blows on it, and when it is cooled, she gives the fork to Soo Jung.

“Thank you,” Soo Jung says.

“Enjoy,” Soo Ah replies.

“Is it good,” Won Sik asks Junho.

“It's really good,” Junho replies.

“Eat up then.”

Junho blows on the pasta before he takes a huge bite.

“Slow down, buddy,” Won Sik says. “You might choke.”

“This is the first time I've seen you like eating so much,” Soo Ah says. “No. It's actually my second time. You eat so well.”

“When was the first time,” Won Sik asks.

“When I made him muffins.”

“They were amazing muffins,” Junho says.

He takes a sip of his juice.

“You made him muffins,” Won Sik asks.

“Yes. He said he wanted that as an after school snack, so I made him muffins,” Soo Ah says.

Won Sik stares at Junho, and then continues to eat.

“How is dinner tonight,” the waitress asks.

“Great,” Won Sik replies.

“The food is very good,” Soo Ah says.

“That's great. How would you like you bill this evening,” the waitress asks.

“Put everything together,” Won Sik says.

“Do mine separately,” Soo Ah says.

“I can pay for yours.”

“It's okay. I can pay for my own.”

“Okay then. I'll get the bill for you two,” the waitress says.

They finish their dinner, and Won Sik and Soo Ah pays for their bill. When they arrive home,  Soo Ah gives the kids their baths and puts them to sleep. Soo Ah thinks that Minah would be long gone after she is done, but Minah is still sticking along with Won Sik in his bedroom.

“Why don’t you go home,” Won Sik says. “It’s getting late.”

“Can’t I stay with you tonight,” Minah asks.

“No. I have some work I need to finish, and I won’t be here tomorrow before you wake up.”

“That’s okay.”

“But it’s not okay for me. Please go home.”

“Fine. Walk me to the door?”

Soo Ah is sitting on her bed with the lamp on. She is flipping through pages from a book she found on her phone. Though she does not intend to, she has been hearing what Won Sik and Minah has been talking about. She hears their shuffle movements before she sees them walking past her door.

“Goodnight,” Minah says.

The front door opens, and it’s quiet.

“Don’t,” Soo Ah hears Won Sik say.

“Why not,” Minah asks.

Won Sik removes her hands from him.

“Please go home,” Won Sik says.

“Fine.”

Soo Ah hears the door close, and Won Sik’s footsteps coming back.

“You’re not sleeping yet,” Won Sik asks Soo Ah. He stops by her doorway.

“No. You’re not either it seems,” Soo Ah says pulling her phone away from her face.

“I still have some work to do. Why don’t you go to sleep? You have to wake up early tomorrow.”

“I’ll sleep in a little bit. Why don’t you sleep? You have work tomorrow.”

“I’ll sleep after I finish something.”

“Sir, I know I’m not in the right position to say this, but working until late isn’t good for you. Having a full night's sleep is better than getting work done.”

“I’ve heard about that, but nothing has happened to me so far.”

“The more you stay up, the more it’ll affect you. It may not be now, but it may be later.”

“I thank you for your concern.”

“You shouldn’t thank me. You should thank your girlfriend for worrying about you.”

“My girlfriend?”

“Ms. Shin. She’s always by your side.”

“Minah?”

“Yes, her.”

“Minah, isn’t my girlfriend.”

“She’s not?”

Won Sik shakes his head.

“But she told me she was your girlfriend,” Soo Ah says shock.

“We’re only friends. No more than that.”

Soo Ah nods her head. “I’m sorry for the mistake.”

“It’s not your fault. I have to get back to work now. Night.”

“Night.”

Won Sik heads back to his room, and Soo Ah continues to scroll through the book she found.