Preparing for Goodbye

Perfect

 

The next morning, Soo Ah wakes up early to make breakfast for her dad, and so Won Sik can eat before he leaves. The three of them eat together at the coffee table. After they eat, Soo Ah gives her dad the pills.

Won Sik bids his farewell to Soo Ah’s dad, and she walks him out.

“Drive safe,” she says.

“I will.”

“And make sure to spend more time with your children. They really want to be with you.”

“I'll make sure to do that.”

“Plus,” Soo Ah takes a white envelope out of her pants pocket. “Here's my letter of resignation. Thank you for everything that you've done.”

Won Sik takes the envelope and stares at it. “Are you sure about this?”

“I am.”

“Okay. If you ever want to come back, you can. You have my number don't you?”

“I do. I’ll be back to come pack my belongings and get my car.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.”

It’s been about three weeks since Won Sik has gone back home. He's told Junho and Soo Jung that Soo Ah is never coming back to live with them. Soo Ah may visit, but that was it. The children also expressed how they were going to miss her. How she was the best nanny they ever had. Won Sik has also tried looking for a new nanny, but he has had no luck. His parents are watching them again, and he's taking Soo Jung back to the daycare center.

 

“It’s nice that your maid is no longer here,” Minah says. “But I have no one to ask to give me water.”

“She had her personal reasons.”

“I feel like I don’t have a competition anymore.”

“You never had a competition.”

“Really, Won Sik,” Minah asks with hope in her eyes.

“Really. Because I’ve never liked you.”

“Why do you always have to bring me down? Can’t you just give me a chance?”

“I’ve already told you, and my answer won’t change.”

Minah pouts.

“Please leave me alone, Minah. I have to find a nanny for my kids,” Won Sik says.

“I want to stay. I promise I’ll be quiet.”

Junho and Soo Jung are both running around the house playing with their toys. Minah looks at them.

“How about I look after them for you,” Minah says.

“What,” Won Sik asks.

“So you won't have to waste time and money.” And so she can get closer to Won Sik’s heart.

“I'm grateful, but can you handle the kids? They can be a handful. You've never handle kids before.”

“I'll be fine. How hard can it be?”

“Then let's try it. You must come tomorrow before eight. I have to leave for work by eight.”

“That should be fine.”

“You must make sure to serve them breakfast, lunch, and if I'm not here by seven, dinner.”

“Okay.”

“You think you can handle that?”

“Yes. I'm sure.”

“You're also going to have to give them a bath.”

“Well, that's a little,” she trails off.

“Fine. One night without a bath won't hurt. Other then that, you should be able to handle everything else. If you have any questions, just call me. Oh. Soo Jung’s bottles are in the cabinets in the kitchen, and the milk is in the fridge.”

“Okay. Sounds easy enough.”

But everything wasn't easy. Soo Jung and Junho would run around and scream extremely loud, and for some reason, they were very rowdy today.

“Ms. Shin,” Soo Jung says.

Minah is sitting on the couch trying not to burst from all the noises that is coming from the kids.

“I have to pee,” Soo Jung finishes.

“You have to pee? Go pee then.”

“Can you come with me?”

“You want me to come with you?”

Soo Jung nods her head.

Minah sighs and stands up.

Soo Jung runs to the bathroom, and Minah slowly follows behind.

“Your father did not tell me that you are now potty trained,” Minah complains.

After Soo Jung is done, the both of them head back to the living room.

“Ms. Shin,” Junho says. “I'm hungry.”

“Me too,” Soo Jung agrees.

“Okay. What do you want,” Minah asks.

“Beef,” Junho says. “Like Ms. Lim did for us before.”

“I don't know what your Ms. Lim did, so we're just going to eat what I make okay,” Minah says. She walks to the kitchen and looks in the fridge. There was plenty of food for her to make, so she quickly grabs some ingredients and whips them up some food. “It's good right,” she ask as she watches the kids eat.

They don't answer her.

“You rascals,” she says with a grimace.

Soo Jung didn't know any better, so she doesn't give any reactions, but Junho turns his head away from Minah and rolls his eyes.

After a long day, Won Sik finally comes home. The time is six. Soo Jung runs to him for a hug as he enters the house.

“Hi, baby girl,” Won Sik says hugging her back. Won Sik carries her and closes the door.

“How was work,” Minah asks. She walks over to him and grabs the folders in his hands.

“Fine,” Won Sik answers. “The kids didn't give you trouble did they?”

“No,” Minah says with a smile. “They were angels.”

“That's good to hear. Thanks for watching them. You may leave if you want to.”

“Okay. I'll see you tomorrow then.” Minah walks over to the coffee table and sets the documents down. She grabs her purse and leaves.

“Did you like your new nanny today,” Won Sik asks Soo Jung. He walks them over to the couch and sits down. Soo Jung is on his lap.

Soo Jung shakes her head.

“What,” Won Sik asks.

Soo Jung doesn't answer him anymore, so he lets her go play. Won Sik walks over to Junho who is touching his tablet on the ground.

“Junho,” Won Sik says. “What are you doing, little guy?”

“Playing games.”

“What kind of games?”

“Zombie.”

“Do you have to save the world?”

“No. I have to take over the world.”

“Oh. Well, I have a question for you. Did you like Ms. Shin as your nanny today?”

“Dad,” Junho says. He puts his tablet down and looks at his dad in the eyes. “You're not going to marry Ms. Shin are you?”

“Why? Do you want me to?”

“No. I don't want you to. I don't like Ms. Shin.”

“Why is that?”

“I don't like how she's always with you. I want a mom who wants to spend time with me too not just my dad. Can't you marry someone who want to spend time with me too? Like Ms. Lim. I like her. She spends time with me and with dad.”

“Do you want Ms. Lim to be your mom?”

“If not Ms. Lim, marry someone who is like her.”

Won Sik smiles. “So you want a mommy?”

Junho nods his head.

“It might take some time, so hang with dad.”

“Okay, dad,” Junho replies.

“Should I find another nanny?”

“Yes, please.”

“Okay. I promise to do so.”

Later on that day, Won Sik calls Minah to let her know that she didn't have to come back.

“Why is that,” she asks over the phone.

“My parents can just watch them. It's a hassle for you to keep coming over,” Won Sik replies.

“It's okay though. I can watch them.”

“I insist. You don't have to come anymore.”

“Okay. I'll see you some other time then.”

“Bye.”

 

Won Sik’s busy life has come back to him. Not only are his children making his life busy because work is too. Unit 3 just received a case of a beer company putting illegal drugs into their cans and selling it overseas. Not only is that usage of illegal drugs, but it is also illegal to sell overseas. They must find out who is behind this and put them behind bars. From what they know so far, this is from a beer company, and there are many beer companies.

“Could it be Koala Beer,” Melon asks.

“We can't assume anything right now,” Pinocchio adds. “We don't have enough information.”

“I've been looking through the footages for those three companies,” Won Sik says. “The one suspicious to me is Great Kingdom Drinks. The Ceo has been having secret meetings, and I've seen the workers working suspiciously.”

“Maybe it's someone else. How about The Cans?”

“We can't make any assumptions right now,” Toad says. “We can only look for more evidence.”

“Attention everyone,” the head policeman says.

Everyone's attention goes to him.

“This is Jung Mori,” the head continues. “He will be joining you guys as of today.”

“Hello,” Mori says. “I'm Jung Mori.”

“Take care of him.”

“Yes, sir,” Toad says.

The head walks out.

“Hey,” Toad says. “I'm Park Wonho, but you can call me Toad. This is Pinocchio, Tiger,” Toad continues to introduce Mori to his coworkers. “And this is your desk.” Toad points to the desk next to Won Sik’s.

“Thank you,” Mori says. “I hope to make great memories with all of you.”

“You came in on an important day,” Toad continues. “We're gathering more evidence for our new case.”

“What kind of case,” Mori asks.

Toad explains to him about the case.

“I know who did it,” Mori says.

“What,” Toad asks.

“How do you know,” Pinocchio asks.

“I used to work for Koala Beer,” Mori explains. “I stopped working there because I was smelling something weird in the beer.”

“Something weird like what,” Pinocchio asks.

“.”

“?”

“That's why I quit, and decided to become a policeman. I want to put the people who are doing something illegal behind bars.”

“Is that so,” Toad says.

Won Sik and Pinocchio looks at one another.

“We just can't barge in and arrest them,” Toad continues. “We need more evidence. Even with you, we can't do anything about this matter.”

“I'll make sure to get enough evidence, sir,” Mori says. “Please leave this job to me.”

Toad nods his head. Mori walks to his desk and gets to work.

 

Soo Ah has locked herself inside to take care of her dad. The only time she would go outside is with her dad. One day, when she is eating lunch with her dad, there is a knock on the door. Soo Ah goes answer it, and to her surprise, Young Jae is standing in front of her.

“What are you doing here,” she asks him. “How did you get here?”

“I asked your boss,” he replies. “And he told me you were here.”

“My boss?”

“Yeah. The one you nannied for. What was his name?”

“Won Sik?”

“Yeah. May I come in?”

“Oh. Yes. Please come in.”

Young Jae walks in and takes his shoes off.

“My dad and I are eating, would you like to join us,” Soo Ah asks.

“No thank you. I ate already.”

Soo Ah leads Young Jae to the living room.

“Dad,” Soo Ah says. “My friend from school came.”

“Hello, sir,” Young Jae greets. “I'm Choi Young Jae.”

“Hello,” her dad greets. “Why don't you come eat with us.”

“I'm fine, sir. I ate already.”

“Sit down,” Soo Ah says pointing to an empty pillow.

“Thank you,” Young Jae says.

After they finish eating, her dad tells Soo Ah to take Young Jae out. “I'm fine without you, so you should take Young Jae out.”

“Why don't you come along,” Soo Ah asks.

“I'm sleepy. I want to sleep. You two go and have fun.”

“Are you sure you're going to be okay,” Soo Ah asks.

“I'll be fine.”

Soo Ah is hesitant, but she takes Young Jae out. Soo Ah is driving her car, since Young Jae choose it.

“The roads here are more narrow, so we have to go slower,” Soo Ah says.

“That's fine,” Young Jae replies. “So tell me why you quit your job.”

“My dad isn't feeling well, so I'm taking care of him.”

“Oh. Is he feeling better?”

“He is.” Silence. “Do you have a place you want to visit?”

“I don't know your town very well.”

“Is going anywhere fine?”

“Yes.”

So Soo Ah takes Young Jae to do a quick sightseeing at a store. Soo Ah parks the car at the curb of the road, and they climb out.

“I don't know if you'll like this place,” Soo Ah says.

“What is this place,” Young Jae asks.

“A store. Many people come here to buy souvenirs.”

“Really? Sounds fun.”

They walk to the store. “Welcome,” the lady who is working there says.

Soo Ah gives her a smile. Young Jae walks around the store and looks at the antiques and souvenirs. He picks up a glass duck and smiles. “This looks amazing,” he tells Soo Ah.

“It does.”

Young Jae puts the glass duck down and looks around some more.

“Are you planning to go back home,” Soo Ah asks.

“Yeah. I only came to see if you were fine or not.”

“Oh. Thank you for coming then.”

“You're welcome.”

“I have a question for you,” Soo Ah asks after a pause.

“What is it?”

“Don't you have a girlfriend?”

“Why do you ask?”

“I'm just worried that she might be worried for you since you're so far away from home.”

“Oh. I thought you asked because you want me to be your boyfriend.”

“What? No!”

“I don't have a girlfriend,” Young Jae laughs.

“Oh. I thought you did since you were dating a girl back when school was still in progress.”

“I did date her, but we broke up already.”

“Did you?”

“Yeah.”

“Why did you two break up?”

“I found another woman I liked.”

“Oh,” Soo Ah didn't know what to say. “Lucky. Her.”

“Do you want to know who stole my heart,” Young Jae asks.

Soo Ah doesn't say anything.

Young Jae turns toward her and bends down to her level. “You,” he says quietly.

Soo Ah is shocked to hear him say that. She turns her head to see him smiling at her.

He stands up straight again. “I wanted to tell you before school ended, but you just disappeared. Luckily, I saw you at the grocery store,” he says.

“Is that so?”

Young Jae continues to look through the souvenirs while Soo Ah stands there shocked. “How about these,” he asks. He picks up two phone accessories. One is a yellow sun, and the other is a light blue Crescent moon. “I like these.”

“Okay,” Soo Ah says. “We should get going too. You should go home before it gets dark.”

“Okay. Let's go then.”

Young Jae pays for the phone accessories, and Soo Ah drives them home. When they arrive home, Soo Ah’s dad is sitting beside the coffee table.

“Are you guys back already,” he asks them.

“Yes. Young Jae needs to go back home.”

“Why don't you eat first before you go,” he asks Young Jae.

“Sure,” Young Jae replies.

“Let me go make some food then,” Soo Ah says.

“I can help you.”

“It's fine. I just have to reheat the food.” Soo Ah walks to the kitchen, and Young Jae goes sit next to her dad.

“Where did you two go,” her dad asks.

“Soo Ah brought me to a souvenir store.”

“Really? It's been so long since I've been there.”

“Would you like to come along next time?”

“No. I don't have the energy to do so anymore.”

“We can take the car, and I can help you.”

“You sure are a kind young man,” her dad chuckles. “May I ask you how you know my daughter?”

“We were classmates,” Young Jae replies.

“Oh! Let me ask you something. Is she a good student?”

“Of course, sir. She pays attention in class, and gets her homework done all the time.”

“That’s great to hear.”

Soo Ah comes in and starts setting the table. After they finish, Soo Ah cleans the table up and takes Young Jae outside.

“Thank you for everything,” Young Jae says. “I had a lot of fun today.”

“No problem. I’m glad you had fun. Drive safely.”

“I will.” Young Jae climbs into his car and tries to start his engine, but the engine wouldn’t start. “That’s weird.” He climbs out of his car. “My car won’t start.”

“Really?”

“And my mechanic isn’t in today.”

“We have one a few blocks from here. Should I call them for you?”

“I’d appreciate that.”

Soo Ah takes out her phone and calls for the mechanic. A few minutes later, the man arrives. He takes a look at Young Jae’s car. “Nothing is wrong with it,” the man says. “The battery just died.”

“The battery died,” Young Jae asks. “Do you know how it happened?”

“It looks like you left your headlights on.”

“I did?”

“The battery for your car is out of stock right now at my shop. The latest it’ll arrive is tomorrow afternoon. Can you wait until then?”

“Of course. I kind of have to.”

“Okay. I’ll see you again tomorrow.”

The man climbs into his car and drives away.

“What am I supposed to do now,” Young Jae asks. “Is there any hotels around here?”

“There is, but they’re not the best,” Soo Ah replies.

“May I sleep here tonight then? I know it’s a burden, but I have nowhere else to go.”

“Sure. Let’s go inside.”

 

“What makes you the best nanny for my kids,” Won Sik asks the young lady in front of him.

“I'm really good with kids,” she answers. “I can play with them, cook them delicious food, and take good care of them.”

“Are you willing to look at them 24/7?”

“What? I've never heard of a job like that before.”

“Okay. That was too much. Can you be here by seven every morning?”

“That'll be hard. I live very far away, and with traffic, I'm not sure I can be here by seven.”

Won Sik crosses her off his list. He's been doing this for almost a month now, but he hasn't found a good nanny for his children yet. No one met his expectations. Only one person has, and that person is Soo Ah. He finally hires a middle aged woman to look after his children. She arrives at six every morning. She also makes food for the kids to eat. However, unlike Soo Ah, she doesn't play with the kids. Junho has gone back to playing his tablet, and Soo Jung remains playing with her toys. The middle aged woman would go home at nine every night because that is when Won Sik comes home. Unlike before, he comes home with nothing to eat. Soo Ah would always make him dinner even if he didn't want to eat. He misses her. He misses her food, he misses the shakes she makes him, he misses her voice, he misses everything about her.

“Sir,” the middle aged woman says. “Is it possible for me to go home early tonight? Today is my grandsons birthday.”

Won Sik is just about to head off to work. “What time do you have to get off by?”

“Five.”

“I'll be home before five.”

“Thank you very much, sir.”

Won Sik walks into work, and immediately sits at his desk. He opens his laptop and presses the power button.

“I found it,” Mori yells.

“Found what,” Toad asks.

“The information that will bring Koala Beer down!”

“What is it,” Pinocchio asks.

“Tonight, they're going to send some by ship out to China. If we catch them then, we can surely put them behind bars!”

“Let's get ready then,” Toad says.

“Where is this exactly,” Won Sik asks.

Mori tells them the time and place.

“And you're sure it's Koala Beer,” Won Sik asks again.

“I'm sure of it,” Mori exclaims.

And so Unit 3 prepares for that night.

“Something is odd,” Pinocchio whispers to Won Sik.

“What is it,” Won Sik asks.

“Mori is lying.”

“What? What do you mean he's lying?”

“Koala Beer is not the culprit. You know how I can tell when people lie. That guy, his fingers fidget when he's lying. See how he's talking normally to Toad?”

Won Sik nods his head.

“He's not lying right now. Once we ask him about the case, his fingers will start to fidget. Look. Mori,” Pinocchio calls.

“Yes, sir,” Mori replies.

“What time did you say Koala Beer will leave again?”

“Six o'clock, sir.”

Won Sik watches as Mori’s fingers start to fidget.

“Thank you,” Pinocchio ends the conversation. “Now look,” Pinocchio whispers to Won Sik. “He's not fidgeting anymore.”

Won Sik watches as Mori talks to Toad without fidgeting. “You're right.”

“We have to warn everyone without letting Mori know. This could be a trap.”

“Understood.”

Won Sik and Pinocchio texts everyone about Mori. They made sure he wasn't aware of their suspicion.

Later on that day, Won Sik goes home to look at his kids while the nanny goes home. He drops his kids off at his parents house before he goes back to work.

“What are we going to do,” Won Sik asks Toad. “We already know the real culprit won't show up here.”

“We can't make him suspicious of us. For now, we're going to have to play his game,” Toad replies.

“I'll do a background check on him,” Pinocchio adds.

After waiting for a few hours someone finally shows up. The squad takes a look at who it is, but it is only a man. They watch what he does. He reaches into his pocket and takes out a small package of something. The man reaches inside the package before he pulls out a cigarette.

“It's nothing,” Melon says.

“Mori,” Pinocchio starts. “Are you sure they're supposed to be here? It's way past the time you said they'd be here.”

“They were supposed to be here,” Mori says. “Did something happen?” His fingers fidgets. “I'm sure they were supposed to meet here.”

“You were probably fooled,” Toad says. “Are you sure you got the right information?”

“I know I did,” Mori answers. “I'm sure I did.”

“There's nothing we can do. Let's head back.” Toad starts walking back to the car, and everyone else follows.

After they arrived at Unit 3, mostly everyone has left. Won Sik, Toad, Pinocchio, and Melon are the only ones left.

“We can't have Mori looking into this case longer,” Melon says. “We're not going to get anything done if we keep him.”

“We have to let him continue this,” Pinocchio says. “If we're going to take him out of this, he's going to suspect that we know his true identity.”

“We must let Mori continue,” Won Sik says. “We'll have another person look into this as well. Mori must have his own reasons for doing this,” Won Sik says. “What could it be?”

“No matter what,” Toad adds. “We must not let him know that we know about his real identity, and we must find out why he is here.”

 

It is early in the morning. Soo Ah has woken up to make breakfast for her dad and Young Jae. After they eat, her dad goes to the backyard to meet uncle Jimmy, and minutes later, the mechanic comes to change Young Jae’s car battery.

“Thank you,” Young Jae tells him. “How much do I owe you?”

“No problem,” the man tells him the cost and Young Jae pays him. The man takes the money and heads back to his shop.

“Since my car is working again, I'll have to go home,” Young Jae tells Soo Ah

“Sure,” she answers.

“Thank you for taking me in and taking care of me.”

“It was nothing.”

“I'll go say bye to your dad first.”

“You don't have to. He's talking to a friend right now. I'll tell him for you.”

“Okay. Bye.”

Soo Ah waves to him.

Young Jae climbs into the driver's side and drives away.

“Who was that,” Mrs. Jung asks.

Soo Ah turns her head to see Mrs. Jung and her gang walking towards her.

“It's not that man from the other day is it? The car is different,” Mrs. Jung continues.

“No,” Soo Ah answers. “It's not him.”

“Who is he then?”

“A friend from school.”

“You sure are bringing many boys home.”

“I don't intend to do so.”

“Tell me. Who is the one you're dating? Your boss or that friend of yours?”

“I'm not dating either of them.”

“Really? That's too bad. If I were to choose, I'd choose your boss. He looks much better than that friend of yours.” Mrs. Jung starts walking away, and her gang follows.

Soo Ah walks back inside and heads out back. Uncle Jimmy and her dad are still talking.

“Hi, sweetheart,” uncle Jimmy greets Soo Ah.

“Hi, uncle,” Soo Ah greets back. “What are you two talking about?”

“Nothing much.”

“We’re reminiscing about the past,” her dad says. “Like that one time Jimmy and I stole a candy bar at the store.”

“Really,” Soo Ah asks. “Did you get caught?”

“Of course we did! We got in so much trouble from our parents, but now that we think about it, it’s plain funny.”

“It sure is,” uncle Jimmy laughs.

“You two,” her dad continues. “I can feel that I’m getting weaker everyday. If anything were to happen to me, I just want you two to take me to my significant other. Nothing else. I don’t want you to spend so much money on me.”

“Dad, what are you talking about? You’re going to live with me until you’re one hundred years old,” Soo Ah reassures him.

“How I wish I can live to be one hundred years old.”

“Please don’t talk nonsense,” uncle Jimmy says. “I don’t like it when you talk like that.”

“Soo Ah,” her dad says. “Go make lunch, so uncle Jimmy can join us.”

“Okay, dad,” Soo Ah replies. Soo Ah leaves them.

“Jimmy, I know I don’t have much time left. Please take care of Soo Ah for me when I’m gone.”

“Sung Woo,” uncle Jimmy cries.

“No crying.”

Uncle Jimmy wipes his tears away.