Fight for Love

Perfect

 

Soo Ah and Young Jae arrives at home. Young Jae walks to the kitchen to put the groceries away while Soo Ah puts the umbrellas away. She walks into the kitchen to help Young Jae.

“What are you planning to make,” Young Jae asks.

“I don’t know. We’ll see what happens tomorrow,” she replies.

Her phone dings, so she checks it.

“We’ll be there by ten tomorrow,” Won Sik texts.

“I’ll see you then,” Soo Ah texts back.

“Who was that,” Young Jae asks.

“Won Sik. He’ll be here by ten tomorrow.”

 

When tomorrow comes, Soo Ah wakes up at six to make food for Won Sik and his co-worker.

“Do you need help,” she hears Young Jae ask.

“You’re up already,” she asks. “You can go back to sleep.”

“No. I want to help.”

“Okay. Thanks.”

So they help each other cook. After a few hours, they finish, and now they’re just waiting for Won Sik and his co-worker to arrive. When ten o’clock comes, Won Sik and his co-worker isn’t there yet. When 10:15 comes, a knock on the door is heard, so Soo Ah goes answer it. Won Sik is in front of her again, but this time, his coworker is with him. Won Sik looks skinnier to her. Did he skip his meals? Is he overworking himself? How about the kids? These are questions that she wants to ask him.

“Hello, sir,” Soo Ah greets.

“Hi, Soo Ah,” Won Sik greets back.

Seeing Soo Ah again makes Won Sik happy. Despite the fact that she is still depressed from the loss of her father, she looks the same to him.

“Hi,” Soo Ah greets Won Sik’s coworker.

“Hello,” Melon greets back.

“Please come in.”

Soo Ah steps to the side and Won Sik and Melon walks inside.

“What a small and cozy house,” Melon says.

“Thank you,” Soo Ah says. “Please come sit down.”

She shows them to the living room. When Won Sik and Melon arrives, Won Sik stops in his tracks.

“I didn't know you had a guest,” Won Sik says.

He was surprised and a little upset to see someone here already comforting her.

“Yeah. He was here to help me with my dad,” Soo Ah says. “Please sit.”

Melon sits down, and Won Sik does so afterwards.

“Would you like anything to drink,” Soo Ah asks.

“What is this a restaurant,” Melon asks.

“No. I just thought you'd be thirsty since it's very hot outside.”

“I'm fine,” Won Sik says.

“Me too,” Melon says.

“How about food,” Soo Ah asks.

“Other than that,” Won Sik says. “We have something more important to tell you.”

“Is it about your work,” Soo Ah asks.

Young Jae is sitting in front of the table, Won Sik and Melon are sitting to the right of Young Jae, so Soo Ah sits across from Young Jae.

“Yes,” Won Sik answers. “The culprit is coming here tomorrow. We would like you to take us around this town to help us get to know this place better.”

“That's no problem. Our town is small enough for me to show you everything today,” Soo Ah replies.

“Do you know any land of water here? One where ships would come,” Won Sik asks.

“I do. It's about ten minutes away. We can drive there if you want.”

“Please. We'll have Melon confirm the place.”

“Melon,” Young Jae asks. “Your name is Melon?”

“No. My name is Ahn Dongho. Melon is my nickname,” Melon replies.

“Oh. Why?”

“Why not?”

Young Jae doesn't say anything.

“Sir’s is Tiger,” Soo Ah says.

“Tiger,” Young Jae asks.

“Because he's fast like one.”

“Ahh.”

“You two are planning to sleep here then,” Soo Ah asks the two policemen.

“Yes,” Won Sik replies.

“I don't have much space here. Is sleeping in the living room okay?”

“That's fine.”

“When are we leaving,” Melon asks.

“We can go now if you want,” Soo Ah replies.

“Yes.”

“You two ate already?”

“Food isn't the problem right now,” Won Sik says. “We must get to know our way around this before the culprit comes.”

“We have today,” Soo Ah says. “This town is small enough for me to show you around today. Let's eat first okay?”

When Soo Ah says that, she is partially talking to Won Sik. She knows he hasn't been eating and wants him to be full, so he'll have the energy to catch the culprit.

Soo Ah stands up and goes warm up the food. Young Jae follows her to the kitchen.

“Tiger,” Melon starts. “I don't think you have the chance anymore. It looks like Ms. Soo Ah already has a boyfriend.”

“We're here to work,” Won Sik says seriously. “Not to play around.”

Honestly, Won Sik wants to ask Soo Ah if she was dating Young Jae, but he feels like he doesn't have the right to. What she does is not his business, but at the same time, he was curious to death.

Soo Ah sets the table with Young Jae’s help.

“Please enjoy,” Soo Ah says.

The both of them sit down at their spots again.

“Literally. She woke up at six to make this for you two,” Young Jae says.

“She did,” Melon asks. “Of course we'll enjoy it. Thank you, Ms. Soo Ah”

“Thank you,” Won Sik repeats. “Soo Ah.”

“You're both welcome,” Soo Ah replies.

“Why don't you two eat too,” Melon asks.

“We ate already,” Soo Ah replies.

“I'll eat first then.”

Melon takes a bite out of the beef and hums. “This is really good,” he compliments.

“Thank you,” Soo Ah says.

“Is this like the beef Junho likes,” Won Sik asks.

“A little. Instead of slowly cooking it in the crock pot, this time I boiled it.”

“It's still very good,” Won Sik says. “Soo Ah was always a good cook.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“You still call him sir,” Young Jae says.

“Yes. I just don't feel right calling him by his name,” Soo Ah answers.

After they eat, Won Sik asks Soo Ah to take them to the body of water where ships come and go, so she takes them there. Of course, Young Jae came along. It's noisy with ships going in and out of the bay.

“This is the place,” Soo Ah says.

“Is it correct,” Won Sik asks Melon.

“Yes. According to my brother, the ship they will be delivering to is called Sn Snake.”

“That over there,” Soo Ah asks pointing to a white ship.

“Looks like it,” Melon replies.

“Now that we know,” Won Sik says. “We will have a higher chance of catching the men.”

“Is there anywhere else you want to go,” Soo Ah asks looking into the rear view mirror.

“Just a tour of your town please,” Melon says.

“Okay. We'll had back then.”

And so Soo Ah gives them a tour of the town. Of course, Young Jae came along again. They walked after they dropped the car off.

“What does this path lead to,” Won Sik asks pointing to a rocky path leading to the green forest.

“I've never been there myself,” Soo Ah says. “But I heard that a cabin is up there. I don't know why though.”

“Maybe there's a legend to this town,” Melon says.

“If there is, I've never heard of it,” Soo Ah replies. “We’re almost done. Want to go to the souvenir store?”

“Can we,” Melon asks.

“Of course!”

Soo Ah sees the happiness in Melon’s eyes.

“I’m going to buy so many toys for my niece,” Melon says.

 

“It sure is hot,” Soo Ah says fanning herself.

“Are you hot,” Young Jae asks. He fans her with his hand.

“Thanks,” Soo Ah says. She stops fanning herself, and Young Jae follows.

“They sure do make a cute couple,” Melon whispers to Won Sik.

Won Sik only stares at their figure. He feels jealousy boiling up inside him, but he can’t go over there to give Young Jae a punch and run away with Soo Ah. All he can do is sigh. Won Sik’s phone rings, and he picks it up. It is his mother calling to check up on him.

“Yeah, I’m fine, mom,” he says. “How are the kids?”

“They’re fine.”

“That’s good.”

“Have you caught the culprit yet?”

“No. The culprit isn’t here yet. We still have a day left to go.”

“Well, be careful.”

“I will, mom.” Won Sik hangs up.

When they arrive at the store, they start roaming. Melon is happily looking at toys for his niece just like he said. Won Sik is beside him looking at toys too, probably for Soo Jung. Young Jae is looking at candy's while Soo Ah is looking at books. After everyone is done and has paid for their items, they head back outside.

“Do you want to do anything else,” Soo Ah asks.

“Let's just go home,” Melon says. “It's getting dark out. Is it going to rain?”

“I don't know,” Soo Ah says. “Let’s buy some umbrellas.”

“It's getting more humid,” Young Jae says.

“Hopefully it gets cooler,” Won Sik adds.

They start to walk home. Soo Ah is walking in front of everyone and is holding her bags. Won Sik takes the opportunity to try to get closer to Soo Ah, but Young Jae beats him to it. He grabs Soo Ah’s bags and carries them for her.

“Thanks,” Soo Ah says.

They all continue to walk.

“It's so hot,” Melon says.

They are about half way home.

“I'll go buy some cold drinks,” Soo Ah says. “You guys stay here.”

“I'll go with you,” Young Jae says.

“It's okay,” Soo Ah says. “I can go myself.” She grabs her bags from Young Jae. “I'll be quick.”

Soo Ah walks away from them and heads to the market.

The three men sit on the curb of the road. As they wait, rain drops start to fall.

“Did Soo Ah bring her umbrella,” Young Jae asks.

“I'm sure she did,” Melon says.

“She sure is taking long,” Won Sik says.

“I'm sure she'll be back soon,” Melon assures him.

“I'm going to see if she is okay,” Won Sik says.

“I'll go,” Young Jae says.

“It's okay, I'll go.” Won Sik stands up and heads the way Soo Ah went earlier.

When Soo Ah is done purchasing the drinks, she heads outside. It is already raining really hard. The wind is blowing as well. She opens her umbrella and starts walking back to the men, but she stops in her tracks when she sees Won Sik in front of her.

“What are you doing here,” she asks him.

“I came to see if you were okay,” he replies. His umbrella is open too.

They walk side by side and slowly makes their way back. They say nothing. Suddenly, a gust of wind blows by and picks Soo Ah’s umbrella away. She gasps and tries to hold onto it, but it slips out of her hand. She runs over to get it. When she picks it up to cover herself again, she couldn't because the umbrella broke. Soo Ah closes the umbrella and suddenly feels something over her. She looks up to see Won Sik holding his umbrella over her.

“You're getting wet,” she says.

“We'll just stand close to each other,” he replies.

“But you’re wet from the rain.”

“That's okay.” Won Sik puts his hand over her shoulders and pulls her close to him. She gasps, but stays. “Let's go.” They both start walking slowly. As they do, Soo Ah notices that his shoulder is getting wet.

“Sir, you're getting wet.”

“It's okay, it'll dry.”

Soo Ah feels her heart racing. Her mind is blank. All she can think about is how close they are to each other. How he smells, and how much hotter she feels.Was it because of the weather? No. It is actually getting cooler.

Soo Ah isn’t the only one who is feeling this way. Won Sik feels his palm sweating, and his heart is beating rapidly. The way that she feels in his arms makes him feel like he's protecting her, and he wants to continue that, but how is he supposed to tell her?

Won Sik reaches into his pocket and pulls out a black small box. “This is for you.”

“Sir, I can't accept this,” she says looking up at him.

“Just open it.”

Soo Ah carefully takes the box from him. She hesitates to open it, but he assures her that it is okay. Soo Ah opens the box and gasps.

“Sorry it took me so long to get your bracelet back to you,” Won Sik says.

“You even fixed it,” Soo Ah says. She stops in her track, and so does he. She picks the bracelet up. Her eyes become teary.

“I said I would.”

“Thank you.” Soo Ah looks up at Won Sik with a smile on her face.

“Are you crying,” Won Sik asks concerned.

“I'm just so happy,” she says as a tear escapes her eyes. “It's like you've brought my parents and I back together. Thank you.”

Won Sik takes a step towards her and slowly raises his hand up to her face. He wipes her tear away. He was happy that he could make her happy, but he also feels the need to make her happy even more. Seeing her cry makes him want to hold her in his arms.

When she feels his touch on her, she feels safe, but she also feels her heart beating one hundred miles per hour. She turns her head and wipes cheek.

“We should go,” she says. She starts walking, and so does he.

When they meet Melon and Young Jae again, Young Jae turns around to see them sharing the umbrella. He felt jealousy boiling inside him.

“What happened,” Young Jae asks.

“My umbrella broke,” Soo Ah answers. “So sir shared his with me.”

“Let's get going then,” Melon says. “The wind and rain is picking up.”

The four of them continue to walk until they reach home. They all put their umbrellas away. Melon and Young Jae goes sit in the living room while Soo Ah and Won Sik trail behind.

“Go change,” Soo Ah tells Won Sik. “You're really wet.”

“You go change first,” Won Sik says. “You're going to get sick.”

“I won't get sick from this. You go first.”

Won Sik nods his head.

“You can change in my room,” she tells him.

“Okay.”

After Won Sik is done, Soo Ah goes in to change.

The sky slowly turns dark afterwards. Soo Ah makes them dinner with the help of Young Jae.

“Soo Ah,” he starts. “I have a question for you.”

“What is it?”

“Do you like Won Sik?”

“What? Why are you asking me that?”

“I'm just curious. You two look like you're very close.”

“I mean we are close, but we're not together.”

“But do you like him?”

“Why are you asking that?”

“Soo Ah,” Young Jae says after a pause, “the days that I've spent with you were amazing. I couldn't ask for anything else, and comforting you when your father past away was heartbreaking, but I want to be able to be there for you at all times.”

“What are you saying?”

“I like you, Lim Soo Ah.”

She doesn't say anything.

“You don't have to answer me now,” he says. He digs into his pocket and pulls something out. “Remember these? I bought them when I first came here to see you.”

“I remember,” she says. “The sun and the moon phone accessory.”

“I'll be the sun that keeps you warm, so can you be the moon that lights my way at night?” He extends his hand that holds the moon accessory towards her.

“Young Jae, I don't think I can accept this.”

“Hold onto it, and think about it. If you accept me, then keep it, but if you decline, you can give it back to me.”

Soo Ah takes the accessory from him.

“I'm actually leaving tomorrow in the morning,” Young Jae says.

“You are?”

“Yes. I'd like to get my answer then, but I won't rush you. Tell me when you're ready.”

Soo Ah stays silent.

 

Soo Ah walks outside and stands on the stairs. It is still raining. She extends her hand to feel the cold droplets of rain. She came outside to clear her mind. For a fact, Young Jae is just a friend, but Won Sik. What about him? He is just her boss. However, she's been feeling weird when Won Sik is around her. Does she really like him?

 

Won Sik walks into the kitchen to see Young Jae only there. “Where's Soo Ah,” Won Sik asks.

“I'm not sure. She said she'd be right back.”

Won Sik walks to see what they are cooking. Seeing and smelling the food makes him remember when she was staying with him. Actually, he came in because he overheard the two of them talking. Won Sik wanted to come in to see what was happening.

“Won Sik,” Young Jae starts. “I can call you that right?”

“I don't see why not. I can call you Young Jae?”

“Yes. I have a question for you.”

“What is it?”

“Do you like Soo Ah?”

Won Sik turns to Young Jae. “What if I do?”

“You'll have a competition then. You see, I like her too.”

“I knew that. The way you've been treating her says it all.”

“Let's have a friendly competition then.” Young Jae extends his hand to Won Sik. “Best of luck to you.”

“You too,” Won Sik says accepting Young Jae’s hand.

Soo Ah walks back in to see Young Jae finishing up dinner. She helps him set the table, and they all eat. After dinner, and cleaning up, one by one, they start to get ready for bed. Soo Ah is sitting in the living room alone while the men are around the house. She is touching her phone and listening to the rain hit the roof. Thunder roars and lightning lights up the sky. Melon walks in with a smile.

“Ms. Soo Ah,” he says.

She turns around to see Melon standing at the doorway to the kitchen.

“You have alcohol,” he asks.

“Yeah. They're my dad's. I just didn't throw them out yet.”

“May I drink them?”

“Sure. I'm just going to throw them away anyway.”

Melon goes back to the kitchen and grabs himself one. Melon joins Soo Ah in the living room.

“Mmm,” he says. “The taste is great.”

“I wouldn't know. I'm not a drinker.”

Melon pours himself a glass and continues to drink.

“Are you sure you can drink this? You have to work tomorrow,” Soo Ah says.

“I'll be fine. I won't drink a lot.”

Young Jae and Won Sik walks in and takes a seat.

“Melon, what are you doing,” Won Sik asks. “Don't you know that we have to catch the culprit tomorrow?”

“I know,” Melon says. “I'll just have a little bit. Would you like some?”

“No. You know I can't drink.”

“Let me have some,” Young Jae says.

“No,” Soo Ah says. “You have to drive tomorrow in the morning.”

“I'll just have a little,” Young Jae says.

“But you you're going to go home early tomorrow.”

“I'll be fine.”

Jealousy boils in Won Sik seeing Soo Ah care for Young Jae. He grabs the bottle Melon is holding and pours himself a drink.

“What are you doing,” Melon asks Won Sik surprised. “You said you weren't going to drink.”

“I changed my mind,” Won Sik says. He pours himself another drink and swallows it in one go.

“Let me have some,” Young Jae says. He reaches for the bottle and pours himself a glass before he drinks it.

Soo Ah sighs.

Won Sik grabs the bottle and pours himself another drink before Young Jae does the same. Won Sik watches as Young Jae drinks it. Young Jae puts the glass down and stares back at Won Sik.

Whoever quits first loses. Young Jae’s eyes tells Won Sik.

Okay. Won Sik’s eyes tells Young Jae.

Won Sik pours himself a drink and drinks it.

“How come you two are drinking more than me,” Melon asks.

They don't answer and continue to drink.

“You guys have fun,” Soo Ah says. “I'm going to bed.” She stands up and goes to her room. Soo Ah closes the door and sets her bed out. She sits down and starts to touch her phone. After a while, Soo Ah goes back out to check on them. Melon is asleep, but Won Sik and Young Jae are still drinking. “Why aren't you two asleep yet?” She goes sit at the head of the table. “Stop. You have to work tomorrow, and you have to leave early tomorrow.”

“One more,” Young Jae slurs. He wobbly pours himself a drink and drinks it.

Soo Ah looks at the bottle, and they have almost finished it.

“Sir, stop,” Soo Ah says, but Won Sik drinks the drink he pours anyway. “You two are drunk already.”

“We're not drunk yet,” Won Sik slurs. He pours himself another drink and drinks it.

“Yes you are,” Soo Ah says. She takes the bottle away from them earning a groan from them. “Young Jae, let's go to bed,” Soo Ah says walking over to him. She grabs his arm and pulls him up. “Gosh you're heavy.” She helps him to bed, and then heads to Won Sik. His arms are on the table, and his head is hung low. “Sir, let's go to bed.” She grabs his arm and tries to pull him, but he didn't budge. “Gosh you're heavier than Young Jae.” She pulls him again.

Won Sik raises his head and rests his left cheek on his left palm. His eyes are closed like he is asleep.

Soo Ah sits down and huffs a deep breath. She looks at him, and Won Sik slowly opens his eyes. He genuinely smiles at her. His head slips from his arm, but he catches it before it falls.

“Are you okay,” she asks him.

He lean towards her.

“Sir, what are you doing,” she asks him.

He raises his hands and cups her cheeks before he gently presses his lips on hers. “I like you,” he says.

Soo Ah looks at him like he's crazy. What he did shocked her so much that she didn't know how to respond. Her mind is totally blank, and her heart is speeding too rapidly.

He leans back and lies his head on the table before he closes his eyes again.

Soo Ah really didn't know what to do. Does she help him to bed or should she leave him? Does she stay there or run to her room? Everything is very confusing to her right now. She slowly backs away from him, and with all her energy, she stands up and runs to her room. Soo Ah closes her door, and her legs give out on her. Her hands go up to her lips and covers them. She could still feel his lips on hers. She could still hear him confessing to her.  Did he do that because he drank too much?

Yeah. He did that because he is drunk. There is no meaning to it whatsoever.

She tries to convince herself, but her heart is still speeding rapidly. That night, Soo Ah couldn't get any sleep at all. There is one thing that is bothering her. How is she going to face him now?

Soo Ah wakes up early to make hangover soup for Won Sik and Young Jae while she makes something else for herself and Melon.

Everyone is sitting at the table. Melon sits at the end of the table, Young Jae sits to his left, Soo Ah sits at the front of the table, and Won Sik is to her right. Melon and Soo Ah are fine, but Won Sik and Young Jae looks like they are still in dreamland. Soo Ah feels a little awkward with Won Sik, but he’s still too hungover to remember.

“How much did they drink,” Melon asks.

“The whole bottle was almost gone,” Soo Ah says.

“They drank that much? Tiger, you've never drank so much before.”

“I'm fine,” Won Sik croaks. He picks up his spoon and starts to eat the soup.

“What time did we sleep,” Young Jae asks.

“Around midnight,” Soo Ah answers.

Young Jae picks up his spoon and starts drinking the soup.

“I'm sorry for drinking so much,” Won Sik says. “It just kind of got out of hand.”

“You're not a good drinker,” Soo Ah says awkward. “Don't drink that much next time.”

After they eat, Soo Ah is in the kitchen washing the dishes. She is almost done, when she hears Won Sik calling for her. She turns her head. “Yes,” she asks. Soo Ah turns off the faucet and dries her hand with a towel.

“Last night,” Won Sik starts. “You stopped Young Jae and I from drinking right?”

“I did.” She tried to keep eye contact with him, so he wouldn’t suspect anything, but lucky for her, he is the one avoiding her eyes.

“Did I do anything to you?” He asks looking at her.

“What,” Soo Ah says not knowing what else to say.

“I didn't offend you in any way did I?”

“No,” Soo Ah hesitates to say. “You didn't do anything to offend me.”

“That’s good then.”

Was it a dream? He asks himself.

Soo Ah stays in the kitchen to finish washing the dishes while Won Sik heads back to the living room. He goes sit next to Melon beside the table, and Young Jae packing his clothes to leave.

“Are you leaving today,” Won Sik asks him.

“Yes. I’m leaving after I finish packing,” Young Jae asks.

So who won? Young Jae asks Won Sik.

I did. Won Sik answers.

But I remember you going to sleep before me.

You went to sleep first. I win.

Soo Ah walks in to see Young Jae finish packing. “Are you leaving now,” Soo Ah asks him.

“Yes. I’m leaving now,” Young Jae replies.

“Are you feeling better?”

“Yes. I’m fine.”

Young Jae grabs his luggage and carries it to Soo Ah.

“I’ll see you out,” Soo Ah says.

They walk outside to Young Jae’s car.

“Thank you for housing me all this time,” Young Jae says.

“Thank you for taking care of me. Because of you, the sadness left me quickly. If it weren’t for you, I would’ve stayed home and cried all day.”

“It was nothing. I’m glad I could be of help to you.”

“Before you go, you said you wanted an answer from me. I have one for you.”

Young Jae waits for her to continue.

Soo Ah reaches into her pocket and pulls out the accessory. “I’m very glad that you even took the time to tell me how you feel, and thank you for your feelings, but I can’t accept it.” She hands the accessory to him, and he accepts it. “I’m sorry. I only see you as a friend.”

“Thank you, for letting me know. Now when I go home, I won’t be waiting for your answer,” Young Jae says with a smile.

“I’m sorry. We can be friends though.”

“Of course. Friends. I really have to go though. Bye.”

Young Jae hops into his car and drives off. Of course he is hurt, but being friends is better than being strangers.

Soo Ah heads back inside and goes to the living room. Melon and Won Sik are there sitting in the silent.

“It’s only the three of us,” Soo Ah says. She sits down beside the coffee table. “Do you just want to rest until you have to go or do you want to go out?”

“And do what,” Melon asks.

“Anything you want.”

“Anything?”

Soo Ah nods her head.