Mooncake

My BIG Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“W-what do you mean? Sorry for what?” Jieun asked with brows bristled in confusion. The Sehun who’s standing in front of her looked so broken. Somewhere in her heart, fear started to creep. What if he really did kill Jonghoon oppa? What if he confesses that he really did that? How will I react? What will I do? “S-Sehun, you didn’t do it, right?”

Sehun took a deep breath before meeting her gaze. “Jieun, I don’t think Jongin will forgive me.”

Flashback

Staring blankly at the children who were playing at near the playground with their parents, Sehun got lost in his thoughts. He was wondering how it would feel to have a perfect family. The kids were full of smiles and he bitterly thought that life’s so unfair. They looked like they never knew pain while he, on the other hand, has encountered it countless times.

“You’re Sehee’s brother, right?”

Sehun’s gaze went to the older guy who was walking towards him with a ball in his hands. He’s wearing the uniform of his sister’s school and he’s sure that he’s seen him hanging out with his sister before. He stood and politely yet awkwardly greeted him. Kim Jonghoon – his name tag read.

“Do you play basketball?” Jonghoon asked with a kind smile.

Being the awkward guy when it comes to talking to people, Sehun just slowly nodded his head. Jonghoon passed him the ball and he just stared at it before looking back at the older guy. Sehun uncomfortably shifted, wondering if it’s the right decision to play with someone who he really does not know. Besides, he’s sure that his sister’s already on her way there. They’re supposed to walk back home together.

Noticing that, Jonghoon just smiled to himself. “I’m not a bad guy. I’m your sister’s classmate. It will take Sehee a little longer to come because she has to finish a report that she needs to pass tomorrow morning.”

Calculating what he should do, Sehun paused for some more seconds before dribbling the ball. The guy in front of him does not look like he’s going to do something bad so he decided to just go with the flow. Jonghoon clapped his hands as if he was celebrating that Sehun’s playing with him. “Loser buys ice cream,” he announced before running after Sehun to the other side of the court.

Thirty minutes later, they found themselves sitting in front of the convenience store with an ice cream in their hands. It was the loser’s, Jonghoon’s, treat. They spent those thirty minutes running around the court, scoring points after points but it all ended when Sehun scored four consecutive 3-point shots. 

“Are you in your school’s basketball team?” Jonghoon asked, making Sehun shake his head. “Really? You play really well though. Have you ever thought of joining?”

Sehun stared at his ice cream, looking at it melt bit by bit. Talking’s not really his forte so he’s in an uncomfortable spot. He could tell that Jonghoon’s making an effort to make a conversation with him. “I don’t really work that well with many people. I find it…tiring.”

Jonghoon looked at him, studying his expression, and a smile crept on his face. “I understand how that feels. I work the best when I’m alone. I also feel having too much people around me tiring. I need to consider their ideas and their feelings whenever I make a decision.”

Finding it weird that a class president would say that, Sehun remained silent. He’s heard from his sister before that Jonghoon’s their class president and he’s a really bright guy. He’s liked by everyone in their school. “But in this world, you won’t be able to completely distance yourself from people. I know it’s hard but you need to come out from your comfort zone once in a while and meet people,” Jonghoon added.

Sehun’s brows were furrowed, thinking why Jonghoon’s telling him that.

“Your sister’s worried about you. You’ve been hanging out with the wrong crowd not too long ago and she’s worried that you’re having a hard time adjusting.”

“I’m doing just fine,” Sehun stated, feeling like he needed to convince the guy sitting beside him that he need not worry about him. He wondered if Jonghoon’s only just a friend of his sister. For Sehee to tell someone about their family issues means that she trusts Jonghoon on a certain level. “My sister just worries too much.”

Jonghoon stayed quiet for some time. “Sehun, you remind me of my little brother. Come to think of it, you’re the same age. He’s also stubborn like you. Sehee told me. For an older sibling, I understand where your sister’s coming from. She wants you to walk on the right path.”

Sehun looked down at his feet. Lately, he’s been feeling guilty for the stupid things that he’s been doing. “I know,” he muttered. It’s really unlike him to talk about such things with a person he barely knows but there’s something about Jonghoon which makes him lower his guard. Maybe it’s the older guy’s charisma and aura.

“Then it’s good if you know,” Jonghoon commented, patting Sehun’s back. The latter smiled a bit.

“Your brother, what’s his name?” Sehun suddenly asked, taking Jonghoon by surprise.

“Jongin.”

“Does he play basketball too?”

Jonghoon chuckled. “No, he’s too busy studying.”

“That ,” Sehun remarked, not really filtering his words. He noticed how Jonghoon’s face was clouded by a worried expression. He looked almost sad. Seeing that, Sehun asked himself he said something that he shouldn’t have.

“I know right. It ,” Jonghoon sighed. “I hope he realize soon that there’s more to life than trying to run after me.”

Sehun raised a brow, not really getting what Jonghoon said. He was about to ask him what it was but Jonghoon suddenly stood. He looked down at Sehun with a smile. “Are you up for another round? Loser buys burger this time.”

Grinning, Sehun stood. “Are you ready to buy my burger?” Sehun asked jokingly, making Jonghoon laugh.

As weird as it was, Sehun found a brother that afternoon.

End of Flashback

Scooting near Sehun, Jieun couldn’t take her eyes off him. He had his head down the whole time, making it hard for her to see his expression. Basing from what she’s heard so far, it’s possible that Sehun really did not do such heinous thing to Jonghoon. Sehun described Jonghoon as a brother so there’s no way he could do it.

“Jieun, remember what I told you about my father?” he finally asked, lifting his head a bit. He flashed a bitter smile. “He’s a loan shark; a thug and that must be the reason why I drifted to a very dangerous path when I was younger. I learned to use my fists.”

She couldn’t hide the surprised expression on her face when she heard that. “S-Sehun…”

“Jongin told you to stay away from me. Am I right?”

When Jieun stayed quiet, he just slowly nodded his head as if acknowledging her silence as an affirmative answer to his question. He continued staring at his clasped hands.

“That night, when he came back with bruises, he was with me. I was more than surprised when he showed up out of nowhere. Fate does play tricks,” he started and Jieun just listened. She just wanted to hear his side before jumping into a conclusion. “I got a call from Youngho and that’s the reason why I suddenly bolted out of the shop. He got into some trouble. I told him multiple times-” He paused, biting his lower lip in frustration as his voice started to crack.

Jieun carefully placed her hand over his and tapped it softly as if telling him to just calm down and take his time. “We got into a fight with a group of thugs and Youngho almost…died in front of me.” Sehun shut his eyes and Jieun felt his hands shaking. “I’ve seen death twice and I thought Youngho’s going to leave me too. My father’s men came and drove those thugs away.”

She noticed how his expression changed when the word ‘father’ left his lips. He looked like he really hated the idea of talking about him. “One of them called me ‘boss’ and I knew right away that Jongin got the idea that I’m part of their gang.”

“But you’re not,” she remarked right away. “It’s not your fault that your father’s like that. You’re not him. You were just helping a friend and that changes everything.”

Sehun lifted his head and held her gaze. His eyes were glistening.

“You need to clear things up with Jongin. You need to explain and-”

“Jieun.” He stopped, shaking his head. He just looked so tired. “I’m the reason why Jonghoon hyung died.”

Flashback

Kicking a stone, Sehun kept his head down as he continued walking through the dark alley. It’s been a month since her sister’s funeral but he still hasn’t moved on. Who would move on that fast anyway? When he learned about what really happened to her sister, his stomach felt so unsettled and he swore that he could kill the man who did it to Sehee. He hated the situation that he’s in.

He adjusted the cast on his arm and he winced when his healing burnt shoulder was touched. It’s his last night in Seoul since he already planned that he’s going to leave the city the very next morning. He couldn’t bear the sight of the place where his sister died. Sehun fished his phone from his pocket when it started ringing. It was Jonghoon.

After the incident, Jonghoon made efforts to check on him as often as possible. Jonghoon even made trips to the hospital just to visit him. Sehun was sure that Jonghoon and Sehee were more than classmates. No guy would be that dedicated if the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter