Pumpkin Pie

My BIG Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You can do it, right?” Ms. Song asked, looking at Jieun with a smile on her face. The latter nodded her head slowly before saying ‘yes’. The young teacher patted Jieun’s shoulder, happy to hear that Jieun’s accepting the offer to play the piano as a special number during the visit of some school representatives for a conference to be held in their own school.

“What piece am I supposed to play?” Jieun questioned.

“It’s up to you,” Ms. Song replied quickly. “It’s not the first time that you’re playing the piano in such event so you can choose any piece that you want.” She looked at her watch before picking a pile of papers on her table. “I have meeting to attend to. If you’ve decided on what you’re going to play, tell me, okay? Ah, I think the music room’s empty so you can practice right away.” With a last pat on Jieun’s shoulder, Ms. Song took her leave.

Filled with thoughts of what she should play, Jieun left the faculty room minutes later. I played Beethoven’s piece last time. What should I play? Liszt? Schumann? Ah, maybe I can play a piece by Yiruma this time. But…they’re mostly slow. Jieun kept on walking as a sigh left her lips. As she took the right turn towards the restroom, she saw Jiwoo pulling Sarang to the side of the hallway.

“You invited her?” Jiwoo asked in disbelief.

“Yeah, I see no problem in that,” Sarang replied. Jiwoo let go of an exasperated sigh before running her fingers through her hair. “Jiwoo, I know what you’ve been telling me but-”

“If you know, then why are you acting like that?” Her voice got louder and she sounded like she’s scolding Sarang. Jieun was frozen on where she was standing as she just stared at the two. “You just invited your boyfriend’s bestfriend to the party. Doesn’t that make you uncomfortable? I already told you that that sly fox has feelings for your boyfriend and-”

“Jiwoo,” Sarang cut her off. “Stop it.”

Jieun could feel her heart sinking just by looking at Sarang’s expression. She stepped back, wanting get out of that place but her feet were not cooperating with her. She saw how Jiwoo shut her eyes in defeat before shaking her head.

“You should not call her like that. I’m not uncomfortable when I’m with Jieun. I actually find her fun to talk to.”

“Fun to talk to? Sarang, Shin Sarang, are you even listening to yourself?” Jiwoo’s tone was between pissed off, frustrated and angry.

“Jiwoo, what is important for me is what I have now and I don’t want that to be tainted by assumptions. I’m happy hanging out with Jongin and even with Jieun.” There was a short pause. “And if things will not work out well…then…I’ll just let it be.”

“Doesn’t it bother you that he spends almost half of his time with her when he’s not with you?”

Sarang drew a deep breath before looking at Jiwoo with a small smile. “They’re bestfriends; they’ve known each other for such a long time. I couldn’t just barge in and tell him to cut his ties with her. She knows him better than I do and I’m sure that there are things that he’s not willing to tell me but he tells her but I’m not bothered by that because when I entered into this relationship with Jongin, I already thought of those possibilities and I decided that I’m willing to understand that.”

Jieun wanted to just evaporate into thin air when she heard that.

“I can’t believe I’m hearing these things,” Jiwoo sighed, shaking her head once again. “I’m not even sure why I became friends with a saint.”

Sarang grabbed Jiwoo’s hands and shook them playfully. “Jiwoo~ Don’t be angry~ Hm?”

Jiwoo stared at Sarang for some seconds before nodding slowly. “Okay. How can I be angry when you’re acting like a fool?”

The smile on Sarang’s face got even bigger and as Jieun kept on staring at them, the more that she wanted to disappear. She’s being consumed by guilt and self-pity. If I’m in Sarang’s shoes, would I be able to say that? Would I be able to understand such situation? I…I’m not sure if I even have the guts to do that.

 

 

Pause.

Play.

Sigh.

Play.

Stop.

Sigh.

Jieun stared at her hands as she just rested them on her thighs. She’s been trying to play a piece but she’s been getting all the notes wrong every second or two. Her mind’s not organized as of the moment. I should really move on…I don’t want to destroy their relationship. Sarang…Sarang’s too good to be hurt. She pressed a key and just stared blankly at her hands. She pressed it again and again. But…why is it still painful? Why…did I get into this despite knowing that I’ll just get hurt in the end?

“Eun?”

Surprised, Jieun turned around quickly.

“J-Jongin…What are you doing here?” Her voice was so soft that she wasn’t even sure if he heard what she said. Jongin casually shrugged before walking towards her.

“I was just passing by when I saw you here. How about you? Why are you here? I thought you’re going to the library with Junmyeon.” Jongin pulled an extra chair and placed it beside Jieun. The latter moved a bit as Jongin faced the piano.

“I was just practicing.”

“Practicing? For what?” he asked, not even looking at her but. He started playing the piece that he used to play when they were younger. Jieun stared at him as he bobbed his head to the rhythm.

“Ms. Song asked me to play a piece during the conference.”

Jongin stopped playing the piano and looked at her. “Really? What are you going to play?”

Jieun looked away. “I don’t know. I can’t decide.”

“That’s so not like you.”

“Huh?”

When Jieun turned to him, he was looking at her with a concerned expression. She’s seen that multiple times in the past but everytime she sees it, it’s like the first time all over again. There’s something about how Jongin gazes at her and that must be one of the reasons why she fell for her. When she’s with him, she feels safe and protected.

“Is there something bugging you?” he asked with a worried tone.

“N-Nothing.” That was a big, fat lie.

“Then why are you still undecided. You always come up with decisions after a short time. Do you want to talk about it? I’m ready to listen.”

How could I talk about it when it concerns you? Jieun stared at him for some seconds before smiling at him. “I was just thinking about our project which is due next week that’s why I can’t decide yet.” Jongin nodded slowly after that before looking at the piano once again. He started playing it again. As the slow and melodious song enveloped the room, Jieun couldn’t help but stare at him.

If we started as just strangers, would I have the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter